Favorite character type to write?

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By moviegeek17

As i've looked back at some of the stories i've written in the past its occurred that i enjoy writing a particular kind of character. I've noticed that i have a tendency to write characters that happen to be soldiers (i've counted three of my main characters as such) and not just soldiers but ones that are emotionally cut off, on the verge of being cut off or in thundra's case from my fan fic on this site. Showing how she becomes emotionally detached from everyone. I suppose that might be a part of myself going into my characters but thats not 100 percent it, i also find them to be fascinating to write. I'm sure that every writer has a particular character and type that they enjoy writing and find themselves adding into their stories since we do like to write certain characters over others. But i still find it funny that i have that base character trait for 3 out of my 4 main characters that i have written so far.

So anyway onto the question i've been meaning to ask. As a writer what characters and/or character type do you enjoy or find yourself writing about the most? Also do you think this is a good thing? or do you think that a writer should try and avoid this and branch out into different character types?

I'm going to take the neutral stance and say that a writer should enjoy writing his characters but he shouldn't write the exact same character with each story (unless it actually is the same character) a writer should branch out and try new things in order to become even better at their craft.

That's all that i have to say. I'll leave the rest to you guys

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

I'm not entirely sure if I have a type I like to write best. Occasionally I do have a habit of putting my characters in similar situations though. I have a tendency to treat my female characters really nicely and make my male characters miserable. It often ends up making the male characters seem very conflicted or moody and the female characters very sweet and nice. Since I know I do that, I have gotten better about it, but there are still times I lapse back into that pattern though.

As for specific character types, I try not to write the same types of characters repeatedly unless they happen to fit perfectly in whatever I'm writing. I typically put a lot of time and effort into my characters, often making them far more detailed than they really need to be. That's a practice that has helped me make my characters more unique. It isn't something that is for everyone, but it definitely works for me.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Emotionally damaged young women with a moral grey area and daddy issues. That's pretty much my niche in a nutshell. 

Avatar image for xavier_st__cloud
Xavier St. Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Xavier St. Cloud

@The Dark Huntress

Emotionally damaged young women with a moral grey area and daddy issues... You don't say.  

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TypingKira

Loud, sweet, obnoxious short girls with mild body image issues and mild feministic tendencies. Some tend to be a bit fanciful, always rather artsy, hipster leanings, bright and cheery and always ridiculously responsible. 

I have found myself incapable of making blonde characters, just as a random fact. I always start out with the intention of making character that doesn't have auburn or black hair and it never works out. . . 

Male characters are either suave hipsters with lackadaisical attitudes and big grins (rather like the gals) or brooding, handsome knight-types that hide goofy personality quirks. 
Hero1921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hero1921

I can play dumb comic relief characters and manipulative assholes pretty good. I Outside of those two, the other are a challenge.

HumanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HumanX

I tend to write main characters who have something wrong (usually some sort of violent psychotic thing) but are also good people underneath. They usually have something that puts them above the people around them and are either extremely confident or closed off from people. I really like cocky characters because they are more fun to write and can make a conversation go in any way or even just move the story along.

I don't think it's a bad thing to write the same kind of character. I actually decided to watch this one series online because it was a lot like another series I was reading. It even had the same result in the end. It's nice to do something different now and then but if you're good at something you should use it. What's the point of getting good at writing a certain type of character if you're not going to tweak it and use it more than once?
moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By moviegeek17
@HumanX:
I don't think the same character type is necessarily bad either. As long as each character is their own thing i'm ok if they're the similar or same type. especially with tweaking, that means the writier is in some way trying to evolve that base character into something else which is always great. but you are right there is no point in writing a character or type of character that you are good with only once. I guess the only real danger is if you stay with that type and don't something more outside your comfort zone if that makes any sense at all
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By The Impersonator

I like making my characters to evolve into something else. At some point of the story, these characters have to change anyways. But I wouldn't want to kill them off though. Since I don't like character deaths that much. But I enjoy writing my own characters the things they do and face in real-life situations. There has to be changes but not entirely necessary though. For example, my Freaks character Qwan Lee hasn't fully proven his capability of being a true leader. He looks up to Cyclops and wanted to be just like him. But he has to learn ways to make himself a strong leader. What is good about these characters is that you're taking them into a different direction. Once you take them into that direction, you will notice that these characters have went through a lot to get there. Evolution is the key here in developing your characters. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Bastards

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Misanthropic sociopaths.

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By moviegeek17
@The Impersonator:
I couldn't agree with you more, character development is the key to making a great story. Plus if a character doesn't learn from his past mistakes then it makes the readers ask themselves you think that character would have learned by now not to do that
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Project_Worm

I dont really know if I have a favorite character type except you know the wide margin of male characters... God knows I have enough trouble understanding girls without trying to get inside of their heads. :P

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Someone Fun/Hyper and/or someone who's a B***h or someone Angry

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CapFanboy
@Project_Worm said:
I dont really know if I have a favorite character type except you know the wide margin of male characters... God knows I have enough trouble understanding girls without trying to get inside of their heads. :P
Y'see, I would NEVER admit that....but the rest I agree!
Fitchy124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fitchy124

Of all the characters i've written they're not always the same in terms of gender, race, mental state, or relationships. But they do often tend to lean towards the morally 'good' side. I find part of the fun in writing is writing a wide variety of characters, not just sticking with one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

I like to write about whatever superhero I'm obcessed with at the moment. I feel it goes in the a cycle, and now for the second time, I have come full circle. It goes:

Superman

Green Lantern

Flash

Batman

Now I'm on Superman. I would do Wonder Woman but I have no idea how to write female characters. I just don't understand girls. My sister is trying to encourage me to write a fan fic about Supergirl but I have no idea how to do it.

Maybe if she actually LET me borrow her Supergirl comics....