• 52 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys! Whether you're a veteran of fan-fiction, or of CV in general, we all need rules so things don't get ugly. If you're a new user, let me be the first to welcome you! and if you're a vet, well then you should already know this stuff.

Rating System

First thing is first, your fan-fic must be rated. Ratings must be prominently displayed at the top of every post, as well as a breakdown of the reason for this rating. Please, please rate all stories appropriately. Our rating system is one that should be familiar to you, since you use it every time you pick up a comic book :}

E -- Everyone

Appropriate for readers of all ages. May contain cartoon mischief and/or comic mischief, but absolutely no swearing, sexual themes, or inappropriate violence.

T -- Teen

Appropriate for readers 12 and over. May contain mild violence, language, and/or suggestive themes.

T+ -- Teen Plus

For readers 16 and up. May contain moderate violence, mild profanity, graphic imagery or suggestive themes.

M -- Mature

Appropriate for readers 18 and over. May contain extreme violence, sexual themes, nudity, or profanity.

Warning Regarding Content

On Comicvine, we ask that writers please DO NOT post material of a graphically sexual or intensely violent nature. A high rating is not an excuse to post graphic content, and violators of this rule will be warned, or have their posts deleted.

Swearing must be censored. Words such as hell, damn, or crap, do not fall under this category, but any other words, by site rules, must be censored or removed from a post. Again, violators will be warned or have their posts removed.

We do not tolerate plagiarism. Plagiarism is considered the copying, in total or in part, of author's work without clear attribution. If you are posting someone else's story, you must have the author's express permission to do so. They must know you are posting their work here.

Absolute No-No's

We are not allowed to archive stories that use the following:

  • The works of Anne Rice (she does not permit fan-fiction)
  • The works of Anne McCaffrey
  • The works of Mercedes Lackey (she only permits fan fiction in official fanzines)
  • Raymond Feist

Though fan fiction falls officially under the umbrella of fair use by United States copyright law, please do not use these writers' works. They have super-lawyers and do not allow the posting of fan fiction on regulated websites.

Disclaimer

When writing about pre-existing characters (like Superman, Batman, Dr. Strange, or Wonder Woman) be sure to put a disclaimer somewhere in your post, one a bit like this!

THOR AND ALL CHARACTERS AND SETTINGS ARE THE PROPERTY OF MARVEL INC. AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, I THOUGHT OF THE STORY BUT THESE AREN'T MY PEOPLE.

Kay? Good.

Conclusion

While Comic Vine is a comic book site, the material posted does not necessarily have to be comic-related, so long as the above rules are followed. Original stories and characters, as well as characters from non-comic mediums may be used.

If you have any questions or are concerned that your fanfic wouldn't be appropriate to post here, feel free to PM one of our mods and ask.

Helpful Tips

Helpful Links:

  1. Our Rules: Fanfiction Rules
  2. New to the Fan Fiction? The NEW writer's thread! (Reboot)
  3. Need something to read? : Fics of the Month Showcase Thread
  4. Need feedback for a story/idea? : The "Feedback" Joint
  5. Want to join a group? The Vine Collection of Current Fan Fic Groups
  6. Need an editor? Editing fan fics

And the link to the original rules post as created by the great Methos. Thank you to everyone who helped me make this post ^^

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME JOB!

Moderator
#3 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Thanks! See anything that needs fixing? 
#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

@TypingKira: Nope. Looks good to me and leaves me without any questions, which means you were quite thorough :)

Moderator
#5 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (589 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: Excellent work as always! Thanks for doing this.
#6 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

IIIII LIKE IT! :D

#7 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53: Thanx! :D
#8 Posted by Constantine (16059 posts) - - Show Bio

woot we got rules :D
 
@The Dark Huntress said:

AWESOME JOB!

#9 Posted by The Impersonator (5584 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: Great job, Kira!
#10 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Constantine: Yuss! Thanks! 
 
@The Impersonator: Thankies ^^
#11 Posted by The Impersonator (5584 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: Your welcome!
#12 Posted by Darkchild (41301 posts) - - Show Bio

Very cool

#13 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild: Thanks!
#14 Posted by ghostrider fan1 (778 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: alright, you really were the perfect person for the rules werent you :)
#15 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@ghostrider fan1: LOL< i totally copied them XD 
#16 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent Kira! Thank you and thank you all involved with the whole focus/refocus on Fan Fiction section. 

Moderator
#17 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Thankies!  
 
Yes, thank you to everyone who helped me make this thread! If you have any suggestions on how to make it better, let me know!
#18 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

You were supposed to link me to this! lol will pin it now! EXCELLENT WORK BABE!

#19 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Good work but I have two questions. 
 
1-Do old fan-fics fall under the same rules? In that case there is some editing to do 
2-For people making in a single thread various posts do we need to put the disclaimer and/or rating in each one of them?

#20 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nighthunter said:

Good work but I have two questions. 1-Do old fan-fics fall under the same rules? In that case there is some editing to do 2-For people making in a single thread various posts do we need to put the disclaimer and/or rating in each one of them?

1. starts now, but if you have swearing or super sexy then yes edit

2. I would say its best, just in case, covers your butt.

#21 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@Nighthunter said:

Good work but I have two questions. 1-Do old fan-fics fall under the same rules? In that case there is some editing to do 2-For people making in a single thread various posts do we need to put the disclaimer and/or rating in each one of them?

1. starts now, but if you have swearing or super sexy then yes edit

2. I would say its best, just in case, covers your butt.

superman doesn't swear ;P
#22 Posted by CapFanboy (5359 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: YAY! MY RATING SYSTEM!
#23 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Oh, sorry!!! Lol, thanks!
#24 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@CapFanboy: Lol, yes!
#25 Posted by Project_Worm (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

Great job TK! 
 
p.s. is your av eating her hair or a leaf... I know its completely off point.. but yeah Im just sorta curious.

#26 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Project_Worm: Thanks! and she's eating a maple leaf XD
#27 Posted by CapFanboy (5359 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira said:
@Project_Worm: Thanks! and she's eating a maple leaf XD
That sounds so weird now without the picture....
#28 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@CapFanboy said:
@TypingKira said:
@Project_Worm: Thanks! and she's eating a maple leaf XD
That sounds so weird now without the picture....

this.
#29 Posted by Project_Worm (3492 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53 said:
@CapFanboy said:
@TypingKira said:
@Project_Worm: Thanks! and she's eating a maple leaf XD
That sounds so weird now without the picture....
this.
haha
#30 Posted by Silverbolt7X (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool! Gonna get started on mine!

#31 Posted by _Cain_ (23670 posts) - - Show Bio

what the limit on violence i would like to make my fan-fic as graphically violent as possible without breaking the rules so what is the limit?

#32 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowknight666: That would be a moderator question :3

#33 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@TypingKira: @The Dark Huntress:

Question to you both. A friend and I have been writing a story between us within pm's and we thought we may post our current ramblings. I am unsure of whether it would be classified as 'fan-fiction' or 'rpg'. Basically it is a story for both of us to keep adding to. Your thoughts?

Also, nice guide :D

#34 Posted by CapFanboy (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446 said:

@TypingKira: @The Dark Huntress:

Question to you both. A friend and I have been writing a story between us within pm's and we thought we may post our current ramblings. I am unsure of whether it would be classified as 'fan-fiction' or 'rpg'. Basically it is a story for both of us to keep adding to. Your thoughts?

Also, nice guide :D

I think if you're both telling the story from a different person's POV each and only seeing things through their eyes it would class as RPG. If it's just a story between the two of you with no real role-playing going on you could post it as fan-fic but I'm not entirely sure. Best bet would be to ask a mod. :) Even if different people are adding to the story it could still class as Fan-Fic, I mean, look at the Fan-Fic game that me and another user were doing ages ago

#35 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapFanboy said:

@Hawkeye446 said:

@TypingKira: @The Dark Huntress:

Question to you both. A friend and I have been writing a story between us within pm's and we thought we may post our current ramblings. I am unsure of whether it would be classified as 'fan-fiction' or 'rpg'. Basically it is a story for both of us to keep adding to. Your thoughts?

Also, nice guide :D

I think if you're both telling the story from a different person's POV each and only seeing things through their eyes it would class as RPG. If it's just a story between the two of you with no real role-playing going on you could post it as fan-fic but I'm not entirely sure. Best bet would be to ask a mod. :) Even if different people are adding to the story it could still class as Fan-Fic, I mean, look at the Fan-Fic game that me and another user were doing ages ago

No, it's not really Role-Playing. Just making a story. So I am leaning towards Fan-Fic then.

#36 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@CapFanboy said:
@TypingKira said:
@Project_Worm: Thanks! and she's eating a maple leaf XD
That sounds so weird now without the picture....
Commenting on avs in pinned forum posts will do that
#37 Edited by CapFanboy (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@CapFanboy said:
@TypingKira said:
@Project_Worm: Thanks! and she's eating a maple leaf XD
That sounds so weird now without the picture....
Commenting on avs in pinned forum posts will do that

Yes. Yes it will.

#38 Posted by Squares (8014 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice and concise. The links you added at the end are a nice touch.

#39 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Where do I get a disclaimer do I just say All characters that are not mie belong to marvel comicsu

#40 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

@menaceforever: pretty much yep.

you could say if you wanted to sound formal:

ALL CHARACTERS AND SETTINGS ARE THE PROPERTY OF MARVEL INC. AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, I THOUGHT OF THE STORY BUT THESE AREN'T MY PEOPLE.

but it's fine to just say "All characters that are not mine belong to Marvel."

Up to you...

Moderator
#41 Posted by Goji64 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it ok if I make a discussion topic? So i don't have to separate the parts of my Fan Fic into separate topics? Like on TohoKingdom.

#42 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goji64: not sure what you mean by disscussion topic...a thread you mean?

you can post your stories however you like (in parts or in one cental thread. No rules against that)

Moderator
#43 Posted by Goji64 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet:Ok, thanks

#44 Posted by CapFanboy (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this deserves to be the thread at the top of the page...so bump.

#45 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapFanboy said:

I think this deserves to be the thread at the top of the page...so bump.

this and also I want to say I updated the links so they go to the current threads.

also bolded/formatted some of it so it is a little clearer

Moderator
#46 Posted by CapFanboy (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@CapFanboy said:

I think this deserves to be the thread at the top of the page...so bump.

this and also I want to say I updated the links so they go to the current threads.

also bolded/formatted some of it so it is a little clearer

Sweet

#47 Posted by poze (225 posts) - - Show Bio

so that mean that i can make up a hole new universe? and were do i put the rating (i don't live in america and in france there's no comic rating system)

#48 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

@poze: yep you can make up a whole new universe of characters if you want to

put the rating at the top of your post (example: DC Legacy: Batman’s Butler #1 )

Moderator
#49 Posted by Project_Worm (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

@poze: You COULD make up a whole new universe. Or you could join one of the MANY fan-fic groups... May I suggest Genesis.

#50 Posted by UnderDogs_OverBoard (1137 posts) - - Show Bio