• 55 results
Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By Joygirl

This is a little post I made for my blog (on which I may end up putting some of my fan-fics later on). Figured I might as well post the rant here as well. :D Blog can be found at http://stoicmaniac.wordpress.com

------

So, I did say I'd be posting some short stories, and excerpts from longer stories. I will end up doing that shortly... but, first, I'd like to say a few things.

Now, I won't say I'm great. But a few people have read my stuff and they also mostly seem to really enjoy it, so I think I can say I'm decent. My work is exclusively fiction (because non-fiction is for ninnies), with a few fan-fics (yeah, I know, sue me).

I can hear it now -- "Fanfiction? Effin' fanfiction? What am I reading, is this a thirteen-year-old girl's blog? This is pathetic, I quit. In fact, I'm gonna go swallow a lubricated frisbee right this very second." (And if anyone gets that last reference I have an invisible cookie waiting for you.)

But hear me out! This is logic, good logic!

First, let's define fanfiction.

Fan fiction (alternatively referred to as fanfiction, fanfic, FF, or fic) is a broadly-defined term for fan labor regarding stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator.

That's what Wikipedia has to say about fanfiction, among other things.

Now consider comics -- y'know, Batman, Hulk, etc. If any person other than Bob Kane or Stan Lee writes those characters (which, obviously, lots of other people do), then it is, by definition, fan-fiction. It's just professional fan-fiction, as they're being paid and acknowledged as writers for those characters.

This also stretches outside comics. What's your favorite show? I can guarantee you that more people than the show's original creator have written for it. People get jobs writing for properties that technically don't belong to them, and as long as they get paid for it, they have perfectly legitimate careers. Hell, even movie franchises get different writers. Think the same guy writes James Bond with each passing film?

So then. An amateur writer of an original setting or character may receive a margin of respect, depending solely on the quality of their work. They are not getting paid, but since their projects take place in a world of their own devising, they can be considered respectable and possibly talented individuals.

However, an amateur writer of a project outside their own realm of creation will generally be ridiculed (don't feel bad, I was in this party as well until I saw the light). Even if they are talented in the fields of wordplay and storyline, they will be chastised because the object of their talent just so happens to be Optimus Prime (hehe). But, if a comic or TV show comes out with someone writing Optimus Prime and making money for it, they may very well be hailed as a genius if they are good enough.

So, them's just my ideas on the subject of fan-fiction... I understand why the prejudice came about, as a lot of fan-fiction is terrible -- the same way a lot of amateur original writing is terrible. So, if someday in the future I decide to post a few 'ficz of my own, you folks will be buttered up for the whole idea of it.

Provided this wasn't too long, and lost your attention.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

The Public Domain is basically the best way to be paid to write fan fiction.

There's even a sight for public domain super heroes.

Just sayin'

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By minigunman123

*Looks at the title of the forum this is posted under*

*Wonders why Joygirl thinks we all hate fan-fiction*

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joygirl

@minigunman123: I don't think everyone hates fan-fic, I wrote it for something else and figured what I had to say could be of interesy here. XD

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By minigunman123

@Joygirl said:

@minigunman123: I don't think everyone hates fan-fic, I wrote it for something else and figured what I had to say could be of interesy here. XD

Ahh. Well I can relate to the fact that there's tons of bad fan-fiction out there, but some of it is really, really fun to read, and even some others are nearly novel-length and are simply amazing (I've only come across like, one or two, maybe three, of those, in my entire viewing of fanfiction.net, though). I think that it's fun reading other people's interpretations of characters, and sometimes their own original characters, if they write it well and don't diverge too much from the source material; when that happens, it tends to seem less like fan-fiction, and more like fan-destruction, lol. It has to be really well-written for a divergent fan-fic to be worth reading, IMO.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lykopis

Having read a lot of fanfiction, I find myself drawn more towards stories that stay in character and I specifically like reading stories written by new authors because I find they need the most feedback and are more open to suggestions to better themselves.

I do appreciate new directions that are taken with popular characters but when its so way off --- and the environment is equally as unfamiliar, I usually encourage those authors to branch away from fanfiction and explore their ideas with original characters. Its fun getting to see the progress made by various writers as well.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By batkevin74

@Joygirl said:

It's just professional fan-fiction, as they're being paid and acknowledged as writers for those characters.

Well said! Nice rant, intelligent and concise.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By darth_brendroid

A lot of pop culture is fanfiction. Only difference is that they're paid to produce it.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

YES!! Down with fan-fic prejudice! Down with it!!

**Throws Molotov**

Good writing is good writing. And if fan-fic is good enough for S P Somtow and Poppy Z Brite (who each count a Crow fan-fic novel among their published works), then I simply do not care what anyone else thinks about it.

Nice rant :D

andrewtheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#10  Edited By andrewtheking

So true

[ and i am a horrible writer ]

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#11  Edited By wildvine

@andrewtheking said:

So true

[ and i am a horrible writer ]

You are merely unpracticed. Not "horrible".

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By thespideyguy

That is good logic.

ekrolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ekrolo

@andrewtheking: No im a horrible writer, not you.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By feebadger

I think that all writing is practise. No writer ever truly arrives at where they want to be. It is an ongoing journey that never really ends (short of death. That's quite final, i've heard). Fan fiction is a great way to hone your skills whilst letting your imagination dwell in a truly enjoyable landscape. There is a short hand involved with fan fic i think, also, much like writing in any genre, people are already familiar with the form and the inner mythology, like reading a crime novel or a romance novel; you kind of know the basic set up the minute you jump in. I always used to look down my nose at fan fic, but have found it really useful to practise my writing and to learn from others. I think there are a lot of 'successful' writers out there (~cough~ stephenie meyer ~cough~) who would greatly benefit from some time in the fan fic trenches.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Project_Worm

Project_Worm's Fan-Fic rant:

BLAAAAHGH!!! Gimme' comments!! WAAAAHH!!

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By xxxddd

Nice.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#17  Edited By TheCannon

@ekrolo said:

No, you're not a horrible writer. I am. You're Thor fan fics are epics.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Joygirl

@TheCannon said:

@ekrolo said:

No, you're not a horrible writer. I am. Your Thor fan fics are epics.

Fixed.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#19  Edited By TheCannon

What'd you change?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Joygirl

@TheCannon: The second you're to your.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By YoungJustice

I do much better writing over a period of time, rather than just rushing it out, which is what I do with most of my fan-fics.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Time_Phantom

Great rant . I find fan-fiction to be great practice for writers honing their craft . A fun way to let that spark of creativity out and spread it to some sorry reader that takes a leap of faith to actually read someone elses thoughts. Then you get were I'm at and find fan fiction boring and your own original creations more fun.

then after like two years you stumble on comic-vine's fan-fic page and start writing the stuff again. Or at least that is what happened to me. Personally I blame great writers on this site (not naming names it would inflate egos and all that. That and I think people know who I'm talking about.) for the renewed interest in fan-fics.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Joygirl

@Time_Phantom: Thanks very much. :D

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CapFanboy

@Joygirl said:

@TheCannon: The second you're to your.

This was hilarious.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Personally I find fan fiction to be easier to write than original fiction. You're given all the characters and base locations, so all you have to do is think of a good plot to put them in.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Pyrogram

This got me thinking along with talking to batkevin, do you think original or proper fan fic is more liked on this forum?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8bac349181a
deactivated-5a8bac349181a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really understand why people would hate fan-fiction, personally I think I tend to shy away from reading a lot of it because a lot of people try it but few are good at it and I'd really like to just be able to know which are the good ones and read those which is the same way I am with published comics. I personally think it's a lot easier to write regular fiction over fan-fiction though, I mean as a fan you feel the need to honor certain ideas and so forth and your own stuff you can just do whatever you want and let your mind run free. With fan-fiction your confined to the pre-existing limits set out by the works you are using. So, I'd say it takes more talent to write good fan-fiction over good fiction.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Joygirl

@X~X~X: Just type "DC Mayhem" into the search bar. :P Those are the good ones.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Med

you can absolutely be talented at writing fan fiction. you can be talented at invisible cookie baking truth be told. just because other people don't respect the field doesn't mean that you're not talented. and anyone who doesn't like fan fiction should understand that and make the distinction. as a person not too into fan fics, i testify that it is possible. more power to you, miss.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By batkevin74
No Caption Provided

@Joygirl: Bump

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*naps*

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: That's what you think. I think that it's quasi-inspirational.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: That's what you think. I think that it's quasi-inspirational.

*blush* Well thanks, hun.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Wolverine was created by Len Wein

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Sorry my geekiness overtook me for a second. I do mostly agree with you're post tho

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: a month from now someone will bump this and have no idea what im talking about

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: a month from now someone will bump this and have no idea what im talking about

MWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

ALL PART OF MY PLAN

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

Well, you can blame Sonichu, Sparking Tickle and My Immortal for that. If you aren't aware what those are (Though you probably do) STAY AWAY!!! STAY THE F*CK AWAY, DO YOU HEAR ME?!!!!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Joygirl

Well, you can blame Sonichu, Sparking Tickle and My Immortal for that. If you aren't aware what those are (Though you probably do) STAY AWAY!!! STAY THE F*CK AWAY, DO YOU HEAR ME?!!!!

Dunno Sparking Tickle but I know the others.

Also you forgot Repercussions of Evil. :D

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

@joygirl said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

Sparking Tickle is an Astro Boy x Tony Stark erotic fan-fic...That's all you need to know.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By joshmightbe

@joygirl said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

Sparking Tickle is an Astro Boy x Tony Stark erotic fan-fic...That's all you need to know.

I was introduced to fan fic by a link on a wrestling fan site to an angelfire site called Daughters of Kane (I was big into Kane and Taker at the time) It was the beginning of my hate for Mary Sue characters before I even knew the term for it.

RichGenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RichGenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: That was evil. I must go back in time to stop myself from reading it, thus deleting the post from existance, thereby allowing me to read it so I can write this post.....

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Awesome post! I think one of the biggest criticisms fan fictions get is that some people believe that they are just poor works of the original source materials. But over the years (and recently here at Comic Vine), I have been reading tons of fantastic fan fictions and I always believed that fan fictions are a great way to tell your side of the story for your favorite characters if you don't like the directions they are going in the comics or any other medium.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@joygirl: I may be wrong. But it seemed to me that the Author, made that ish bad on purpose. Perhap's a hater of fanfiction, maybe?