Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#1  Edited By The Impersonator

I've just come across an article, regarding a Star Trek fan who was invited to join Paramount. This is the first time that a studio is hiring a fan-fiction writer to pitch an idea for a new Star Trek series. As a Star Trek fan, I'm really excited about this, because we haven't seen much of a new Star Trek TV installment. You can check out the article here. There's also a website that he created for the new series, Star Trek Uncharted.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-uncharted-fan-pitch/

http://www.startrekuncharted.com/

Now, there's no confirmation that this series will happen any time soon. It's only a pitch. But the good thing is that the writer gets invited by industry professionals. How cool is that?

Anyways, this shows that our imagination can reach the fullest in any most, possible way. This is one of those examples.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 230

@the_impersonator: As writers, we face problems that artists do not. An artist can clearly point to their art and say, "Hey, you ripped me off!" As writers, we have this sticky subject called Intellectual Property Rights, so most industry connections claim to not even look at fan-fic, because they don't want the headache of IP theft claims. That's clearly bull, because write the wrong fan-fic and see how quickly their lawyers jump you with a legal beatdown. Or how quickly they've been known to get fan-fic websites shut down (twenty years ago- I think they've kind of given up on that now as long as you post some kind of disclaimer, because they just can't catch everything).

There are known exceptions that have gotten jobs with their fan-fic, but currently rare. It's inevitable though that they will eventually use fan-fiction as a sort of portfolio for writers. They'll have to.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@ficopedia: Hmmm...I see your point. Of course, the company do own the rights to a certain property, which is why we always write the disclaimer for our work. But that depends on the company itself, if they wanted to hire new writers for their existing property. Most likely, the writers will have to use their work as a portfolio.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've heard of fanfic writers for series working their way to extended universe/spinoffs and then to the "main" thing. This seems more likely likely than getting asked straight away to write for a big series, like in your example.

The easiest way is probably working your way up using original work and "normal" writing (novels, publishers etc) and then using your credentials to get a place on a series you've always wanted to write for.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That is awesome shows that imagination goes a long way and perseverance pays off in the end. Star Trek is such a rich world they messed everything up by getting the ships to be to fast. Part of the charm was the stories that took place between the stars between the worlds and the adventures that would happen because it would take them so long.

They need to slow back down and explore the characters again and this time not warp so many places so fast. Who wants anything to end so fast I mean life has to be prolonged the journey savored the moment stretched out and when you arrive to your destination you are sometimes a changed people a changed crew. You breath out a heavy sigh and do it again. Because each leg of our journey is one that will amaze even the most sour of souls and wake up the dreamer in us all.