• 101 results
#1 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, the thread you've all been waiting for! The one, the only, AweSam! vs wildvine... @wildvine and I were given a picture which we both had to base separate stories on.

Please vote here, or PM me your vote if you don't want to hurt Wildvine's feelings. Anyone can vote.

AweSam

Note: I know absolutely positively nothing about these characters.

Robyn Hood: Hunted

Tracked and hunted. The green clothed woman ran through the forest, reaching for an arrow from the quiver on her back. She loaded her bow and released it into the dark.

"Ahh!" a voice yelled out in pain from within the darkness.

She stopped and reached for another arrow. The night was silent. She was alerted by the echoing sound of a cracking branch. She cautiously held her bow and arrow in place. Suddenly, something jumped at her from behind. She heard it and quickly reacted, killing her attacker.

"A wolf?" she asked herself.

She took her eyes off the dead wolf and looked around her as several people slowly appeared from the darkness. Just as she reached for an arrow, a man wielding a sword charged at her. With no time to reload her bow, she grabbed the arrow and stabbed the man in the neck. As he fell to the ground, the rest ran towards her. She pulled out an arrow and hit one right in the eye. A woman came at her with two swords. Robyn slid under the oncoming swords and threw an arrow into the back of the woman's head. Two more attacked her from behind, so she grabbed one of the swords on the ground and slit their throats. As she glared at the rest, they fled.

"Cowards," she uttered.

Just as she thought it was over.

"You forgot me," a soft voice said.

From the shadows, a blonde woman in red walked towards Robyn, holding two blades.

"Who the hell are you?" Robyn asked the girl in red.

"I'm just little red riding hood," she answered.

"Guess you're just another hired gun. Well, no gun."

"Bingo!" she yelled as she rushed towards Robyn with her two daggers.

Quickly, the girl attacked her. Robyn shot an arrow directly at her head, but she dodged it went for her jugular. Robyn avoided her attack and struck her with a hard kick. Robyn immediately ran deeper into the woods, followed by the woman in red. Cloaked by the dark, Robyn hid. Just as she thought she lost her, the woman in red came at her from a tree, snapping her bow in half as she tried blocking with it. No longer of any use, Robyn discarded it and held the sword she picked up earlier. The woman in red jumped at Robyn, but she countered with the sword, landing deep cut in the woman's arm.

"I'll kill you," she yelled, "you stupid bitch!"

"Come try."

Robyn awaited her next attack, but not what actually came. From behind, the sharp teeth of a wolf dug into her shoulder. She kicked it off and rolled away. Before she could recover, the woman attacked.

"Never take your eye off your opponent!" she yelled as she attacked Robyn. Her blades, like fangs.

Robyn managed to escape, but not unharmed. She looked at the woman and the wolf. Then it hit her.

"You're controlling the wolves, aren't you?" Robyn asked.

"Wolves can't be controlled. They attack on instinct and act unpredictably," she said.

"So, you're saying they're attacking me at random?"

"That's not what I'm saying, but does it doesn't matter, you're dead either way."

"Guess it doesn't," Robyn said.

The woman came at her again. With a split second to react, Robyn severed the wolfs head, then countered the woman's attack.

"You're really good," she said as she jumped back.

Robyn ran towards the woman, sword in hand, aiming for her neck. The woman ducked, then cut Robyn in the chest, severing the strap that held her quiver.

"Why the hell won't you people just leave me alone?" Robyn asked.

The woman laughed.

"Leave you alone?" she asked. "No one's going to leave you alone until you're dead. It's all your fault that we're here to kill you. It can only end two ways. Either we kill you, or you kill all of us. Unfortunately for you, there's more of us."

"I'll do what I have to do. Don't expect any mercy though."

The woman chuckled. "I don't expect what I don't give."

The woman threw a dagger at Robyn, then followed it. Robyn dodged, but before she could react again, the woman delivered a hard kick to her back. Robyn moved away before the woman could land another hit.

"Looks like the fight's finally taking its toll on you," the woman grinned.

"I'll kill you."

Robyn and the woman met blade with blade.

"This isn't going to end well for you!" the woman yelled. "Maybe you should just die!"

She disarmed Robyn just as she tried striking her with the sword. Just as she tried finishing Robyn off with the sword, Robyn grabbed an arrow from her quiver on the ground and planted it into the woman's chest. Stunned, the woman fell to the ground.

"Even if you kill me, more will just come. We'll never stop hunting you," the woman said.

Robyn stood over the dying woman in red. "Then I'll keep running. When I get tired of running, I'll just have to kill them too."

The woman chuckled, then shut her eyes. Robyn exhaled and fell to the ground, exhausted. She stared at the night sky. Her short break came to an end when she heard a branch crack. She took a deep breath, then got back up. She picked the sword and he woman's dagger off the ground. Around her, countless people slowly closed in on her. She grasped the weapons tightly. Blood running down her body.

"Guess I'm not done quite yet."

Wildvine

Miles outside of New York city, invisible to the human world, the is a huge expanse of land where the none-human fables make their home. The trolls and ogres and Tree people. Faye and talking animals. A large community called the farm. This is also where activities like fight training happen. Robyn Hood flipped backwards just as Red scissored her blades where Robyn's neck had been previously, and landed perfectly on her feet, sword held at ready. "Hey! Tinkerbell didn't tell you to take my head off. Did she?" She stood and slowly circled Red. Her steps were sure and well practiced from months of sword training with the Headless Horseman.

"She told me to train you for battle. Do you suppose the tin soldiers will tickle you to death when the time comes?" Red Riding Hood asked. "They don't take prisoners. And neither shall we. So you must be ready to administer a killing blow, and to avoid one." They had been training hard all morning, but Red seemed tireless. Robyn on the other hand was tired and achy. She was the first new fable born in two hundred years or better, and did not have Red's popularity. Hence she couldn't match Red for strength or endurance. She was fleeter of foot though.

"That's much better than being talked to death." Robyn smirked. Something about danger made her giddy. It made her want to dance with it a little closer. Maybe it came from being the daughter of Robin Hood. Or maybe she was just an adrenaline junkie. That was Humpty dumpty's unprofessional opinion. Like he had room to talk, with that entire wall sitting spell he went through in his youth.

"There's no time in battle for clever comebacks." Red replied, and rushed at Robyn. Robyn threw her sword at Reds body with shocking speed. As Red dodged left, the sword almost grazed the skin on her side. She stopped suddenly, her hood jerked against her throat as something caught her cape. Before she could recover, Robyn slammed a green boot into the side of Red's face, knocking her to the ground.

"Is there time for clever come backs now?" Robyn asked, as she pulled up her sword, unpinning Red's cape from the ground. She resisted the urge to snicker, and failed miserably.

"Well done. But tin soldiers don't wear capes." She wiped blood from her mouth with the back of her hand, hiding a smile. Robyn's fighting skills were improving every day.

"Gee, even your compliments sound negative. That must take a lot of practice." Robyn stood loosely, but didn't sheath her weapon. Training wasn't over till Red said it was over. She had only made that mistake once when she had just begun her training. Robyn warily watched Red climb to her feet. Above her, seated comfortably in the crook of a tree branch sat Boots the cat, aka Puss in boots. The former resident of Diddle was lazily strumming his fiddle, and watching the two girls going at it. It was more fun way to kill the day then stalking the three blind mice.

"Prepare to defend yourself again." Red took her fighting stance. "Engarde." Several fables had gathered around to watch the training session. Excitement was in short supply at the farm.

"I feel for that Robyn girl." Cheshire cat materialized on the branch besides Boots. Why he chose to stay on the farm was anyone's guess since he could be invisible. And could thus live anywhere he wished. Then again, the Wonder landers tended to be an odd lot anyway. "Red has her hackles up now."

"Oh?" Boots raised his hat and looked at Cheshire with one eye. "Don't count Robyn out. Girls got natural fighting talent. And she’s trained since she was a young girl. Girls got the fight of a dragon."

"And Red is a dragon slayer." Cheshire retorted. "She hasn't really been trying so far."

"Care to wager on that?" Boots pulled a gold coin from his boot. It was the same gold coin that had cycled around the farm since it was founded. It had no status. And it belonged to whoever held it at the moment.

"If you just want to lose the coin, that’s fine with me." Cheshire shrugged, and grinned.

"Alright. Let’s make it a real show then." Boots picked up his fiddle and bow and began to play a jaunty number.

Red slashed at Robyn with her knives as music started playing from the trees. Robyn blocked one with her sword, but the second nicked her shoulder. "Ahhhh! No fair! I was distracted." Robyn grumbled, as she took a defensive stance, and held her bleeding shoulder with one hand.

"Distractions will happen on the battlefield. There will be people screaming and crying. People dying.”

She slashed at Robyn again who deflected, but took a savage punch to the jaw. "Your only concern in battle is your opponent." She slashed down with one blade, and thrust forward with the other. Robyn knocked one blade away with her sword, and grabbed Red's other arm with her hurt arm.

"Do you have a war platitude about faking injuries?" Robyn asked, and head-butted Red hard enough to see stars herself. Her celebration was short lived, as she realized she had shown up her trainer in front of half the farm.

"Well done. You've graduated from hand to hand combat." Red grunted, ignoring Robyn's offered hand as she climbed to her feet. "But on the battlefield you will face multiple opponents." On cue, the headless horsemen stepped from the crowd, swinging a broadsword in one hand with casual grace. His black leather and chains were pretty scary in the nineteenth century. By today's standards of edgy, his outfit was pretty tame.

"Such a lovely head. It will make a fine addition to my collection." She could feel him leering at her, despite his lack of a head. He was one of the creepier fables on the farm. After Medusa that was

#3 Edited by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry Sam your story is great but I gotta go with @wildvine

#4 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: I'm naturally paranoid so I do that alot anyway.

#6 Posted by batkevin74 (10605 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy $#|T!! What a hard choice to make. You have both pulled out all the stops but My vote goes to this round is...@AweSam! I liked them both but by the narrowest margin I give this round to AweSam

#7 Posted by TommytheHitman (3099 posts) - - Show Bio

... Awesam. Both were great yet AweSam's was slightly better, This is why I wouldn't be able to take part in this.. I don't know any of these characters.

#8 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

Another :) Well what an interesting tale we have here, I recognise nobody in the picture so let's see where each story takes me.....

#9 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson: Yeah, I didn't knownthem either. Made everything up as I went.

#10 Posted by BumpyBoo (8691 posts) - - Show Bio

These were both a hell of a lot of fun to read, nice job to both of you. But at a push, only by the slightest of margins....wildvine :D

#11 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done to you both!

Once again another hard decision....my vote goes to @awesam but only just. @wildvine had a minor format issue with a large blank space which I'm guessing a picture should be there, so that minor technical glitch pushes Awesam ahead (and seeing I was as some have told me quite harsh on @betatesthighlander1 I cannot be any less critical and fair in my judgement) Awesam by a whisker!

#12 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson: Blank spot's my fault... i think. It's a video. It took some effort to get it in. I don't know why it's blank. If that's the reason, then give Wildvine the vote.

#13 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done to you both!

Once again another hard decision....my vote goes to @awesam but only just. @wildvine had a minor format issue with a large blank space which I'm guessing a picture should be there, so that minor technical glitch pushes Awesam ahead (and seeing I was as some have told me quite harsh on @betatesthighlander1 I cannot be any less critical and fair in my judgement) Awesam by a whisker!

Seriously voting on a technical glitch? WTF. Realllly? I have not voted yet as I have not decided however, but pushing for a technical issue when the work is awesome from both people is...laughable.

#14 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Issue on my part. Deduct points from me, guys. I didn't realize it was blank.

#15 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: What I am saying is, that is pretty vain to decide a vote on a freaking formatting issue when the work is good from both people. I disagree with that, its a writing contest not an aesthetics contest -_-

#16 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson: I can't count your vote solely on a formatting issue on my part.

@pyrogram: I know what you're saying, I'm just restating what I said earlier. If it honestly matters, then he should just deduct points from me since I'm at fault.

#17 Posted by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Well it's not really your fault, only a little issue easily resolved.

#18 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I just tried fixing it from my phone, but I made it worse. I think I'm going to forfeit.

#19 Posted by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Okay, I just tried fixing it from my phone, but I made it worse. I think I'm going to forfeit.

Why? 0__O

#20 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I kind of messed the whole thread up, plusI can't seem to add the video from here.

#21 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@4donkeyjohnson said:

Well done to you both!

Seriously voting on a technical glitch? WTF. Realllly? I have not voted yet as I have not decided however, but pushing for a technical issue when the work is awesome from both people is...laughable.

So since I can't vote for you both, how else should I decide? In the opening round I was criticized, then praised for bringing up bad grammar. If I am to stay true to form then why shouldn't I vote based on a large blank space in your story? Upon reading them both I choose AweSam, because overall his was one I liked more AND it didn't have a blank space in an odd spot.

Would you rather an arbitrary coin toss or would you like how I honestly came to my conclusion. You may find HOW I came to my decison laughable, but in the end that is how it came to pass. Now I can only judge upon how it was presented when I saw it.

I would like my vote to go to AweSam, upon him forfeiting from the comp I will remove my vote completely. I can't judge one person by one set of standards and another on another set, that would be hypocritical and at my age I don't need to be.

@awesam Why don't you wait until you get home to fix any technical issues? A knee jerk "I quit" whilst on a mobile device is quite, well silly.

That is where I stand, like it or don't.

#22 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson: Yeah, I guess. It's not so bad deducting points based on formatting, just deduct them from me since I was the one who made the error.

#23 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson: I am saying, why vote on formatting when it has nothing to do with writing ability, even more so since the fault was not even by the original writer. I respect that you vote on formatting but I just don't see it as a reason to cast a vote myself, nothing personal. Also bad grammar and formatting are two different things, one little space in a story will not affect it however bad grammar will. You cannot compare those things as one directly affects the story when one is indirect.

#24 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I am unable to vote for you both, a decision has to be made. Bad grammar and a format error are two different things, but it was that inadvertant error that made my decision.

It seems you would prefer a coin toss. How do you make a choice when it comes down to two EQUALLY GOOD stories?

#25 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: There isn't a point based option in this vote is there? I can assign 3 pts to one story and 2 to another. It's a head to head choose one type scenario.

#26 Posted by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson: Well, no story is equally good and their is always a better story. So I do not see that as en excuse for poor judgement. So yeah, you don't need to resort to a coin toss.

#27 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Well, Wildvine apparently flipped a coin for Razza vs Delphic.

@4donkeyjohnson: I don't know, everyone votes differently. I'm not complaining.

#28 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Some people vote differently, I just personally think somebody always has a better story regardless of the quality.

#29 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

you both did very good, IMO

but @razzatazz wrote the better story

#30 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: It is possible for someone to enjoy two stories equally, or so similarly that they just can't pick. Wildvine writes good stories and I think mine are half decent. Why don't you read them and find out?

#31 Posted by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: I have read them however I am still deciding, as they ARE equally good, but still depending on certain factors, the flow, the ending the middle etc...I can always find a victor and I don't just vote quickly without deciding who actually deserves it.

#32 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: My phone's either glitching, or Razzatazz just got a vote in mine and Wildvine's thread.

#33 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@betatesthighlander1: My phone's either glitching, or Razzatazz just got a vote in mine and Wildvine's thread.

sorry, I'm pretty terrible with names (the lack of any emphasized text in the OP didn't help)

I meant the second one, the one with the Cheshire cat, and the line about compliments

I mean @wildvine

#34 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by CapFanboy (4919 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: I decided not to read the stories. Therefore, I need not vote.

#40 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@4donkeyjohnson: Well, no story is equally good and their is always a better story. So I do not see that as en excuse for poor judgement. So yeah, you don't need to resort to a coin toss.

Are you inferring I've made a bad judgement?

#41 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I'm sorry, I seem to have snapped at you...this has happened twice now when I give my opinions on stories in these comps. I think for my own future reference I shall abstain

#44 Posted by CapFanboy (4919 posts) - - Show Bio

@capfanboy: Hence you are a pain in the a$$

Not yet...but if you turn around.

Also: I may have accidentally flagged your post since the button is so close to the quote button. Finding a mod now.

#45 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson: No no don't do that, I was at fault as I attacked you about it for no reason, seriously it's cool man :)

#46 Posted by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Edited by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to vote against AweSam as he is doing such a good job at organizing these contests and because I liked his story, but I did feel that WildVine captured the essence of fairy tale in modern day a lot better. So my vote goes to her.

#48 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio

After some consideration and re-reading the stories I vote Wildvine simply beacuse of the way she done the dialogue in her piece made it highly enjoyable, very nice effort.

Awesam's piece was also nice, I enjoyed the quick-fire back and worth talks but the actual dialogue I felt WV handled better. In the end my vote is Wildvine.

#49 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: That's probably true since I didn't know anything about the characters, so I made the dialogue as cheesy as possible.

@razzatazz: I'm not really here to win, just needed an extra someone.

#50 Edited by Pyrogram (36637 posts) - - Show Bio