#1 Edited by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

All characters owned by DC, rated M

“I don’t want to live on a farm!” Bruce Wayne stomped his foot and folded his arms tightly as he death stared Alfred Pennyworth “Why can’t I just live here…with you.”

Alfred looked at the ten year old boy standing in his father’s study, who’d been on an emotional rollercoaster that would crack most adults. Alfred crouched down and hugged him. “I would dearly love that Master Bruce. But I am unable to since we are not related by blood or marriage. Your paren…”

“I DON’T WANT TO!” howled Bruce bursting into tears and holding onto the family butler for dear life “PLEASE!”

Alfred held the boy, his own tears dripping down his face “I’m sorry Bruce”

“PLEASE!”

Bruce stood awkwardly at the end of the long gravel driveway in the heart of America. His suitcases by his feet and Alfred by his side.

Bruce turned “I will give you a million dollars to take me back to Gotham!”

Alfred smiled and patted him on the shoulder “Your parents wanted th…”

So why did they get killed?”

“BRUCE WAYNE!” scolded Alfred.

“I’m sorry, I just…” Bruce kicked the dirt and fought back tears.

“I understand Master Bruce. It still hurts and it always will. But here at least, you will be looked after and cared for.”

“Whay can’t I live with you?”

Alfred straightened Bruce’s collar “I shall write to you every week, I expect one in return.” A couple walked up the driveway towards them “Stand up straight Master Bruce, a…”

“A Wayne never slouches.” Bruce said the phrase he’d heard countless times.

The woman in glasses had an almost visible warmth to her and her smile was almost infectious “Hello Bruce.” She crouched to his eye level “I’m Martha. This is Jonathan. I hear you’re going to be staying with us?”

“Two million!” begged Bruce softly, tugging the butlers pant leg.

“Master Bruce!” said Alfred directly “Mrs Kent was addressing you.”

Bruce went shy and mumbled “Hello”

“Do you like pancakes Bruce?”

He nodded hesitantly. Martha smiled and held her hand out, Bruce instinctively grabbed it. Martha and Bruce walked hand in hand to the house.

“Look after him Mr Kent” said Alfred, tears welling in his eyes but his stiff British upper lip keeping them at bay.

“That’s why we became foster parents Mr Pennyworth,” said Jonathan “Where you headed?”

“Metropolis. I have a placement with the Van Horn family”

Jonathan looked at Alfred, who was focused solely upon Bruce walking into the distance “Would you like a drink? Metropolis is a long way from Smallville”

“Yes, thank you Mr Kent”

“It’s Jonathan, none of that mister business” as the farmer grabbed all the cases.

#2 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

This doesn't end here, does it?

#3 Posted by ImpurestCheese (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: Isn't the Kent family Superman's parents? Interesting concept if it is and would like to see more when you get the chance to write it.

#4 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

@cr4psnip3r: For the moment it does

@batkevin74: Isn't the Kent family Superman's parents? Interesting concept if it is and would like to see more when you get the chance to write it.

Yeah Bruce raised in Kansas. Would a rural life as opposed to travelling the world learning to hurt things make a difference in the end result

#6 Posted by cbishop (6314 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Elseworlds, so I'm very curious to see how you spin this one.

#7 Posted by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

@impurestcheese: @cbishop: @cr4psnip3r: Part 2

Bruce sat in the corridor of Smallville Middle School on a blue chair outside the principal’s office. He sat quietly as the throbbing of his eye ticked in unison with the clock on the wall. Bruce could hear the voices of Martha, Jonathan and the Principal through the door.

“But this is the seventh time he’s been in trouble for fighting!” stated Principal Gibbons.

“He’s still adjusting!” Martha said defensively.

“It’s been two years.” retorted Gibbons.

Jonathan stood and placed his hands on the desk to prevent himself from lashing out “Do you honestly think Jeff, that you just get over seeing your parents get killed before your eyes? HE’S A CHILD! He’s not a flooded tractor engine where you pull the choke and give it some gas and away it goes!”

“I understand that Jonathan but…”

“But what?” Jonathan glared.

“Bruce is going to have to be suspended. You’re going to have to find a way for him to channel that anger because if it happens again, I’ll have to expel him.”

Jonathan went to speak but Martha stood and took his hand “Thank you Jeff. We’ll take it from here. Goodbye”

The Kent’s exited the office; Bruce looked up at them, his eye shining up nicely. Jonathan nearly stormed back into the office but Martha calmly guided him away.

“Time to go Bruce”

“You mad at me?” asked Bruce as he tentatively stepped into the barn where Jonathan was a hay baler. Jonathan pulled himself out of the machine, wiped his forehead and smiled.

“Mad, no. Disappointed, a little” said Jonathan “Hand me that wrench please Bruce”

Bruce shuffled in and handed over the tool.

“You’re a lot like me.” said Jonathan “My first reaction to most things is to hit them. Tractor doesn’t work, pow! Car won’t start, pow! And some days I want to do that to people. But I don’t.”

“Why not?”

“Fighting isn’t always the answer Bruce. It may make you feel like the problem is going away, but honestly; it just starts a whole bunch more trouble. You remember that story of the Hatfield’s and the McCoy’s?”

“Sorta. That was the two families who shot each other”

Jonathan smiled “Who started it?”

Bruce scratched his head “I don’t know”

“Nobody does! Because in the end, all fighting does is cause more people more problems.” said Jonathan “You want to fight, go out back and fight a tree!”

Bruce smiled “I bet I’d win”

Jonathan laughed “Martha thinks it’s silly, and dangerous, but I feel it’s a good idea,” He handed Bruce a flyer ‘What do you think?”

“They spelt receive wrong!” said Bruce sarcastically.

Jonathan roared and ran at Bruce “I’ll spell you wrong!”

Bruce tossed the flyer and took off playfully as Jonathan gave chase; the pair ran around the yard until Martha called them in for dinner.

To be continued...

#8 Posted by ImpurestCheese (3562 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

@cr4psnip3r: @impurestcheese: Thanks, will hopefully get some more of Rural Batman up this week if life, family and brain permits!

#11 Posted by ImpurestCheese (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: Take your time, have a break, check out a certain competition to see my new title, maybe even check out the sapphic activity in Thunderbolts. Whatever comes next is worth the wait. :-)

#12 Edited by Comiccrazeraze (427 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by cbishop (6314 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: Very nice. Still coasting along. Awaiting more. :)

#15 Posted by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Hope to have some more this week

#16 Edited by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

Bumped

#17 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Very different and very interesting! You didn't @ me by the way! >:(

#18 Edited by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1540 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice, quite emotional, you don't do that often. Is there more or is that it?

#20 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (4512 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn this is good!

#21 Posted by batkevin74 (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice, quite emotional, you don't do that often. Is there more or is that it?

Damn this is good!

Thanks to you both!