DC Re-Imagined: Green Lantern #2

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I've had this written for a few days, though due to the redesign, I couldn't post it until now. So, let's start.

Also, if anyone has any clue what the thing on the bottom about allowing this to be an answerable question, I'd love to know.

DC Re-Imagined: Green Lantern #2

No Caption Provided

Previously...

After the Green Lantern Hal Jordan was killed by a currently unknown man, his ring flew to Earth to find a new Green Lantern of that sector. It found John Stewart, former soldier and currently a social activist. After John misses a bus, the ring flies onto his finger and welcomes him to the Green Lantern Corps.

Now:

The ring is on John’s finger, and has given him a green & black Green Lantern uniform.

“What the Hell is this thing!?!?” John yelled to himself.

John attempts to pull the ring off of his finger, though ends up floating into the air. John attempts to fly back down, and accidently crashes through the street and ends up in the sewers.

<New Message>

“What is this?” John asked himself. “It first starts talking to me and gives me this costume, then it lifts me into the air and crashes me into the sewers, then it starts acting like some sort of phone. This isn’t some new i-ring from Apple, is it?”

The ring them repeats itself and once again says: <New Message>

“Um... play message?” John said.

The ring then brings up a giant hologram of an alien with pinkish/redish skin, also wearing a similar ring and costume to John’s. The hologram then starts talking.

“Ah, the ring found a new wearer. Good.” the man said. “I am Thaal Sinestro, Green Lantern of sector 1417 and the most senior officer. I represent the Guardians of the Universe.”

“Um...hi?” John said, attempting to make conversation. The ring then interrupts Sinestro’s message and says <Thall Sinestro cannot hear you, as it is a message. He is currently on Oa.” The ring them resumes the message.

“You should consider it a great honor to be part of the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic police force through out the known 3600 Space Sectors.” said Sinestro. “I ask that you come to the planet Oa immediately to receive further training. If you cannot comprehend how the ring works, it will give you basic instructions on how it works. I will give further information when you arrive on Oa.”

“Um... okay...” John said to himself, confused by the situation, “I somehow doubt this is real. Green Lantern was just some story we talked about when we were kids.”

The ring then cuts in.

<Sector 2814, along with many other sectors, are not evolved enough to believe the Green Lantern Corps exist, and is why those sectors did not receive rings when the Corps was created 50 years ago>

“Okay, that’s neat information to know I guess.”

<If you wish to know more, simply ask. All Green Lantern rings are programmed with information the Guardians of the Universe are aware of. Any other information is downloaded onto the ring when it goes to a new planet and connects to what you would call, “wi-fi">

“Here’s something,” said John, “How do I get the ring to work? Is it anything like Alan Scott’s ring in the old stories I heard about him when I was a kid?”

<According to the information I have downloaded, no. The ring is powered by your willpower, with its limits your imagination. You can create anything with the ring simply by thinking of it and concentrating>

“I think I get it.” John said, “Let me try it out.”

John thinks, and his ring creates a construct of a skateboard. John hops on it, and begins skating on it. He then picks it up into the air, and flies out of the sewers on the skateboard until flying towards rooftops.

<If you wish to fly, creating a construct is not required. You can fly alone using the ring>

“Give me a break. I’ve wanted a flying skateboard since I was a kid.”

<I do not wish to interrupt, but Green Lantern Thall Sinestro has requested you meet him on Oa. Now that you appear to understand how the ring works, he would like to meet you>

“Fine.” John said.

John then gets rid of his skateboard construct and attempts to fly on his own.

<You appear to have learned flight>

“Meh,” John said, “It’s cool, but I like to be a bit more creative.”

John then creates a motorcycle with the ring, and allows it to float in mid-air. John then gets on it and rides it into the sky and out of the atmosphere.

<Creating constructs for flying it not practical, as it will slowly wear down the ring’s power. I suggest using normal flight abilities>

“I’m not a big fan of flying. Plus, Earth already has that Superman guy who can fly. I’d rather be different.”

<If you insist. Also, if you wish to meet Sinestro on Oa, I suggest you not go towards your Sun and go towards Sector 0000>

“Yeah, could you show me the way?”

The ring then opens up a Map of the universe and gives John a path from his current location to Oa.

After riding on his motorcycle construct while following the ring’s directions for a while, he eventually arrives to the planet Oa.

<Tracking Green Lantern Sinestro’s location>

John follows his ring’s direction until reaching what appears to be a training camp for other Green Lanterns. He looks around until he is approached by Sinestro, who tells him “John Stewart of Earth, welcome to Oa and the Green Lantern Corps.”

To be continued...

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

cool

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I liked the dialogue. It strange to hear Sinestro sound so polite. To me he's always seemed like the the type of guy you need to earn respect from, not just receive it willingly.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thecannon: fantastic dialogue.

You still ahve some trouble with present/past tense though...

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TommytheHitman

YES! MORE JSA MEMBERS HAVE BEEN REVEALED FOR MY INEVITABLE JSA BOOK! Good story, I like that it's taking it's time. I also like how the Corp is pretty much folk Lore not so sure how it's only been 50 years but whatever!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@thecannon: fantastic dialogue.

You still ahve some trouble with present/past tense though...

This again ^^

But the story was solid.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jameskm716: F*ck. Sorry, I forgot to go back and edit it to past tense. Oh well.

@tommythehitman: First off, you probably shouldn't go announcing spoilers like that on a public thread. But I really don't have any room to talk. But, we should probably discuss Alan on a PM...

@pyrogram: See the first reply in this comment.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@thecannon: Not really a spoiler, Alan doesn't have to be in it if you don't want him to be and it won't happen for a while. I want to get Martian Manhunter out of the way first. Come on no one finds it weird how I've just been introducing JSA characters in my own book? Next issue Martian Manhunter fights Starman! (Joke)

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#11 wildvine  Moderator

@thecannon Really cool. I like your dialogue, but again, more details would be nice.