DC Re-Created: Legion of Substitute Heroes #2

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Angel Square, Warpath

“I fold.” An old man said at the end of a tale. Brek Bannin was playing with his best friend Steve Mavlen and Steve’s father and grandfather.

“I fold too.” Steve’s father said as Steve stared down Brek.

“It all *cough* comes down to this...” Steve said throwing down his hand showing 3 queens and 2 kings. “Yeah!” he said going for the pile of money in the center of the table as Brek threw down 3 aces and 2 kings smiling while taking the pile of money.

“Man, how do you do that?” Steve’s father asked as Brek chuckled.

“It’s all in the luck of the cards old chap.” Brek said dealing out new cards to everyone when there was a ring at the doorbell.

“I’ll get it.” Steve’s father said as he got up with Steve dipping a chip into salsa and eating it quickly. The heat never bothered him. They heard Steve’s father arguing about something with the person at the door, probably someone trying to convert him to their church. It all changed when they heard a gunshot.

“Dad?” Steve said moving from the table to see his father on the ground with a bullet hole in his head. “Dad!” he said pouncing in the man’s direction only to be kicked back onto the table where they were playing cards. Steve’s grandfather, who was too old to move out of the way, was sent to the floor. The man dropped his gun and took out two new ones from inside his coat. He aimed them at Brek and Steve’s grandfather. Steve saw this and used all of his speed to get in-between the guns and his friends and family.

“No!” he said jumping in front of the gun pointed at his grandfather. As the man fired the guns, two tranquilizing looking darts shot out of them and hit both Steve and Brek. It caused no pain to Brek but it made Steve’s asthma act up. He was coughing all over the place as his grandfather went to get his inhaler and Brek took the darts off of Steve and himself. The man who shot them put his finger up to his ear.

“This is Agent Smith reporting in, Bannin was a hit but I have hit the wrong Mavlen, requesting an additional agent to inject the elder.” He said as Steve stopped coughing and stood up, fire in his eyes staring at the Agent.

“Leave! NOW!!!!!!!!” he said screaming as fire burst out of his mouth burning the agent to a crisp. When he started to cough again and the flames stopped coming out, all that was left of the agent was a charred skeleton.

“Steve!” Brek said trying to help his friend to his feet as the house started to catch fire from Steve’s blast. When the heatreached Brek he instinctively raised his arms up. When he did so a blast of cold came from his hands putting out the fire. He looked down to his hands to see them turning a whitish color. “We have to go, now.” Brek said pulling Steve out of the house.

“What are *cough* *cough* you talking about?” he said as he was pulled into Brek’s car and they took off.

“That guy was some kind of suit working for a government agency, there are probably more on the way and we don’t want to be here when they arrive.” He said as Steve passed out from coughing to much. “Dammit...” Brek said changing his cars direction towards a pharmacy.

Diablos Head, Ral’s Home

Ral stared at his hands that were now glowing green as he heard the police car crash down onto the main road. Umar was still too delusional from the Velocity 2 he took to understand what was really going on.

“What kind of freak are you?” one of the officers said firing a shot at Ral who raised his hands to his head as a tree sprouted in between him and the bullet stopping it. He looked at the tree and then the officers. He shifted his hands forward to have roots sprout up under the officers and entangle them both. While they were both occupied with freeing themselves from the roots, Ral grabbed Umars arm and raced to his car. Pushing Umar into the passenger seat and putting his bag on his lap he then slid over the hood into the driver seat and drove from the lawn to the road avoiding the tree.

“What’s going on?” Umar said, the high starting to wear off.

“Interesting, this batches high ended quicker than the last, need to work on that.” Ral said not turning to Umar and keeping his eyes focused on the road. Umar slapped the back of Ral’s head.

“Hey! What’s going on?” he repeated as Ral did not turn to him still.

“You injected yourself with Velocity 2 and the feds showed up. Then I, and you’re not going to believe this, started to control plants by making a tree flip a car and have roots attack the cops.” He said with Umar staring at him like Ral was high.

“Are you sure it was me who took the Velocity 2?” he said as he heard a scream from his phone since he had not pick up the text from his sister. “Hold on.” He said picking up the phone to have all the color go from his face. “Oh my god...” he said as the color of the inside of the car started to fade into a white. Ral pulled the car over staring confused at the color change and then looked to Umar.

“What’s the problem?” he asked as Umar turned his phone to show his sister Lydia and her boyfriend Doug tied up with bags over their heads. Under the photo was the name of a popular bar The King’s Desire. The car’s interior and exterior turned a fiery red as Ral turned the car in another direction heading towards the bar.

Back of The King’s Desire

The Leader of the masked men was sent into the wall then Lydia grabbed him by his leg and threw him up into the ceiling only to have him fall back down, breaking multiple bones. She pushed him over from his side making him face up and put her foot onto his chest slowly pushing down.

“Who hired you?” she said as he said nothing through the pain filled groans. She stopped pushing on his chest and smashed her foot onto his right shoulder shattering it. “Answer me!” she said picking him up by the neck. He looked at her with tears in his eyes.

“I...I don’t know...” he said as she shook him not believing him.

“Don’t bull$h!t me!” she said as the man started to pass out.

“We were given your names and where you were, that’s it...” he said passing out. She dropped him and her immediate attention turned to her stone boyfriend.

“Doug!” She said as she broke the zip locks on his hands and tried shaking him, praying it would put him back to normal. As she did this his stone skin began to turn normal. Eventually his entire body was back to normal and he coughed after not having oxygen for a few minutes.

“What did I just do?” he said standing up with Lydia hugging him tight making his chest area turn to stone. “Wow you got strong.” He said as she dropped him and he put his chest back to normal.

“You can become stone like!” she said as he raised his arm and willing it into stone. “Anyone who wants to mess with us will be in-between a rock and a hard place.” She said as she lightly punched his arm.

“I guess you’re right.” He said as they heard the doors at the front of the bar being kicked down and gunshots following it. She heard footsteps getting closer to the door and she was ready to pounce on whoever walked in and Doug turned both of his arms to stone. As the door was kicked down she jumped at the figure. When she saw it was her brother she instantly hit the wall instead causing a giant crack in it and the ceiling. Both Umar and Ral stared at her like they just saw Jesus walk on water.

“When did you Hulk Hogan 2.0” Ral asked with Umar looking around seeing the ripped bags and the masked man broken on the ground.

“Wow...I guess those two years of karate helped out.” Umar said as Doug removed the mask from the man. What was under the mask shocked them.

“Guys?” Doug said as they looked down to see a man with half his face human and the other with wires coming out of a open wound.

“Things just can’t stay normal can they, everyone in the car.” Umar said as they all walked out of the bar.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

@bronze_surfer: I'm really really sorry for not reading this sooner. But it's a very interesting story and it's very well written. Sometimes, though, you forget question marks. And it could be fun with pictures :)

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Will read today.

Helminth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Helminth

@bronze_surfer: Cool follow-up, I'd give it an editing pass to get out some of the minor kinks, but other than that nice job. Sorry for the late read, but I wanted to read everyone first issue before playing catch up.

Doomstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like it, I like it a lot. (;

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MakkyD

Nice, I'll admit I'm not familiar with the characters but your writing really showed their personalities. Also: Both Umar and Ral stared at her like they just saw Jesus walk on water. Love it! :)

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bronze_surfer: Sorry that it took me so long to get around to this, but really good issue! Don't know any of the characters, but the writing is really good. Nice job!