Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By dngn4774

You can find other DC Mayhem issues here

DC Mayhem Presents: Suicide Squad #0.1- Red X

No Caption Provided

CLICK!

“Wakey wakey, Mr. Todd!” A voice buzzed in the vigilante’s ears, as his eye lids twitched open. Instinctively he moved his hands to the sides of his ribs where his holsters were usually kept.

“Uh-uh-uh,” the voice echoed, “no gunplay for you. That wouldn’t be any fun.”

Jason rose off the bed to observe his surroundings. Aside from a cot and life support equipment the room was completely blank. In fact, besides the cleanliness and the bright white lighting the room could have passed for a duplicate of Jason’s cell at Arkham. Years of mastering the arts of deduction with Batman were now currently rendered useless as to answering where he was and how long he had been captured. Whoever did this was a pro.

“You ever wake up in the morning and just feel like it’s going to be a special day? Well the reason today is going to be so special is because we get to play a game. Like every game this one comes with an opportunity. If you win you receive a get out of jail free card but if you lose…well then you die. Sounds fun doesn’t it?”

“The anticipation’s killing me.” Todd hissed.

The voice in his earpiece chuckled. “I know the feeling.”

Jason could feel an itch beneath patch on his forearm where the IV drip was recently removed. It was that moment that the Red Hood discovered that he was dressed in a different costume.

“What the hell am I wearing?”

“You like? I designed it myself.” The voice said with pride. “It’s called Red X and from now on that will be your alias for the rest of the game. I’d tell you how the suit works but that’s”—

“Against the rules.”

“Now you’re getting it. Look at us finishing each others sentences already. It’s like we’re same person.” The voice jested.

“And what do I call you, besides kidnapper?” Red X asked, grinding his teeth.

“Please, call me Savant. Now off you go. The game isn’t going to play itself.”

The electronic door to X’s room unlocked and slowly creaked open. Before him stood a labyrinth of morphing hallways, rising walls, and rotating staircases.

“So how does your game work Savant?”

“It’s pretty simple. You are on the ground level of my tower. All you have to do is make it to the helipad where a chopper is waiting to take you wherever you wish to go. The exit to the roof is a security door on the top floor; the keys that unlock it are hidden throughout multiple areas of the tower. So if find the keys, unlock the door, and get in the chopper you win.”

“Sounds too good to be true.” Red X replied.

“Well there will be a few obstacles you might need to deal with along the way. Which reminds me,” Savant began to type on his keypad as a noise emitted from under Jason’s ears.

Beep!

Red X grabbed his neck and felt what resembled a collar. “Dammit!” He cried, already knowing where this was going.

“My bad,” said Savant. “I forgot to mention you only have an hour to open that door. If the timer runs out, this little IED that I’ve strapped to your neck turns your head into one of Gallagher’s watermelons. Good luck!”

Red X sprinted through the shifting hallways, scouring anyplace he believed the keys to be hidden. As his foot tripped a pressure trigger two turrets popped out of the walls. Jason slid backwards using a rising platform for cover. “Not good” he muttered as he could tell the platform was seconds away from vanishing back into the floor. “I need a weapon” he thought, as he tinkered with the buttons on his belt.

The first button made him invisible. He quickly rolled out of the way and pressed the second button, teleporting him in front of the left turret. Red X smashed the turret with a strong punch through the circuit board. When he turned he saw that the second turret had already placed X in its crosshairs, knowing it was too late to dodge. As a reflex he raised his hand to defend himself from the incoming blast. To his surprise an X-shaped blast fired from his glove, slicing the machine to ribbons.

Before the former robin could take any comfort from escaping death, two bullets sliced through the air towards him.

P-taff! P-taff!

Jason double flipped away from both shots as he tracked the source of the gunfire.

“Impressive” A familiar voice spoke, one that Jason had not heard in years.

No Caption Provided

“Deadshot!”

“The pleasure is all yours.” Floyd stated. “I’ll be taking your key now.

To be continued…

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Fantastic! Adding the chapter and characters to their respective pages. :)

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@dngn4774 This was pretty good and well paced, you held my attention the whole time which can be difficult to do xD.

Only thing I would have liked to have seen is the former Robin doing a little more detecting in finding the keys, sort of why he could find the keys first and Floyd couldn't if you get me?

But the only reason I kind of missed that was I wanted more so keep it up and while I know you already posted a list of characters who are going to be in the Suicide Squad, I deliberately didn't look so I'm intrigued to see who's up next in the coming chapters.

Also Jason Todd and Deadshot= two of my favourite DC Anti-Heroes so good choices xD

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishlad: I don't really consider Floyd an anti-hero. He's a villain who occasionally gets used as a tool to do good things.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishlad said:

@dngn4774 This was pretty good and well paced, you held my attention the whole time which can be difficult to do xD.

Only thing I would have liked to have seen is the former Robin doing a little more detecting in finding the keys, sort of why he could find the keys first and Floyd couldn't if you get me?

But the only reason I kind of missed that was I wanted more so keep it up and while I know you already posted a list of characters who are going to be in the Suicide Squad, I deliberately didn't look so I'm intrigued to see who's up next in the coming chapters.

Also Jason Todd and Deadshot= two of my favourite DC Anti-Heroes so good choices xD

Thanks! You'll find out why these keys are so hard to get next issue. It's intentionally meant to be a short chapter so that I can post them faster. This series is going to be mapped out like Joygirl's Wrath of the Red Lanterns series. It's basically a set of teasers that form one mini arc before the team officially forms.

I get what you're saying about the need for more detecting but it's pretty hard to do for something so fast paced. In realtime this entire issue was probably only the first three minutes of the hour. You'll get to see more of Jason's intellect in the meatier middle chapters.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@irishlad: I don't really consider Floyd an anti-hero. He's a villain who occasionally gets used as a tool to do good things.

Not such a big distinction between a anti-hero and an anti-villain. Just look at someone like Catwoman or Ivy or even this universe's Riddler.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joygirl

@dngn4774 said:

@joygirl said:

Not such a big distinction between a anti-hero and an anti-villain. Just look at someone like Catwoman or Ivy or even this universe's Riddler.

Catwoman, Ivy, and Mayhem!Riddler do good things out of an active decision to do so, and try to steer away from doing evil things when possible. Deadshot is a weapon -- he gets pointed and shot just like his guns. Left to his own devices he's so kill-crazy he can turn out anyone and slaughter anything. He's evil by nature.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@dngn4774 said:

@joygirl said:

Catwoman, Ivy, and Mayhem!Riddler do good things out of an active decision to do so, and try to steer away from doing evil things when possible. Deadshot is a weapon -- he gets pointed and shot just like his guns. Left to his own devices he's so kill-crazy he can turn out anyone and slaughter anything. He's evil by nature.

I've always thought of him as more sick than evil. He has a deathwish but refuses to kill himself or be killed by an inferior foe and he uses that to his advantage. He does these things because he is not mentally capable of living a normal life which is why I tend to find him more interesting than two of those three character's I've mentioned.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Very cool 47, short and sweet, nice job. I'm curious about who this "Sevant" is so Ill be sure to keep my eye on this.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@dngn4774: This is the kind of title I love. Super criminals on the loose and taking the spotlight from the heroes

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

I approve. But this series needs more boobies......and bacon.......or boobies MADE of bacon......

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@dngn4774: @joygirl: I get what you guys are saying I probably just have a different definition of an anti-hero. When I think of an anti-hero I think of a character who looks out for themselves and themselves only but occasionally does good things from time to time which I guess could be considered an anti hero/anti villain. Floyd can be written as a villain and I'm definitely not arguing with that but I dunno based on the Secret Six series alone I think there was more to him than simply being evil. Either way it was only an offhand comment my main point was I really like these characters and this series xD

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I approve. But this series needs more boobies......and bacon.......or boobies MADE of bacon......

There will be more boobies towards the middle and end of the prequel.

Very cool 47, short and sweet, nice job. I'm curious about who this "Sevant" is so Ill be sure to keep my eye on this.

Savant was never really as sinister as I'm making him out to be, but I'm taking liberties with the character that aren't necessarily inconceivable.

@dngn4774: This is the kind of title I love. Super criminals on the loose and taking the spotlight from the heroes

I know what you mean. I think it's harder to write a villain book because most of them don't have a rogue's gallery of heroes to help them burn issues. With an iconic team like Suicide Squad it is a little bit easier but like any team book, it is challenging to make each personality unique.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@dngn4774: dude this was awesome, make another

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers