DC Mayhem: Justice Society of America #14

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By Joygirl

For new readers thinking "What's this JSA thingy?", JSA is an older DC Mayhem title. You can find the entire DC Mayhem library, including the rest of JSA and it's satellite stories, here.

-------------------------

No Caption Provided

“Alright. Let me get all this straight,” Lobo growled, pulling a plasma torch from his boot and lighting another cigar, popping the thick dark stick between his lips and chomping down. “The goth babe's cosmic demon daddy has put a curse on some random people. They get Final Destination-style'a bad luck, and after they die they rise as his servants. People marked that ya already know of are me, the skulky yellow dude, and the hottie with the bone-wings. Got everything right so far?”

“The Question--”

“Who?”

Power Girl inhaled. “A detective from Gotham, called the Question. He's also been marked.”

“N'where's he?”

“In hiding. The three of you can most likely withstand a little bit of lethal bad luck, but he can't. Raven's managed to get a lock on Trigon and things are moving faster than we thought – some of his scions have already died, and are channeling him towards earth.” Power Girl folded her arms and found herself droning a little – she'd been forced to tell this story too many times already. It was seriously starting to stress her out.

Lobo grunted, inhaling deeply from his cigar and releasing a noxious plume of smoke into the kryptonian's face. “And let me guess. He wants to destroy the earth.”

“Now you're ready to sing along, czarnian,” Etrigan smiled, though his eyes weren't on Lobo himself – they were away, watching Starfire zig-zag through the air with Creeper hanging from her ankles. He hadn't been the least bit pleased when he learned that there were not, in fact, any snacks to be had.

“Y'know, speakin' as someone who's destroyed a planet before, it ain't as fulfilling as it seems. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a blast while you're doin' it, but when everyone's gone ya end up wishin' you'd thought things through a little better.” Lobo stretched out, his eyes growing distant. “Used to love czarnian cigars. Now there ain't a single one left.”

“Unfortunately, I... don't think Trigon will be concerned about cigars.” Raven sighed. They were wasting time. With each pointless word exchanged, Trigon got closer to earth. If they weren't prepared when he arrived, there would be nothing left to save. “We have to go, now. He's... he's coming. I can sense him. Even through Bleez's...” she trailed off, glancing to the Red Lantern before looking back down at the ground, shrugging her shoulders.

Lobo glanced from Raven to Bleez, arching a long black brow. “Those two gonna kiss or somethin'? 'Cause if they do, the Main Man'd better have a front row seat.”

Kara rolled her eyes. “They aren't going to kiss – I don't think – but Raven's right, we need to start moving. We've theorized that these marked ones, or scions, or whatever, that he may have some kind of weakness towards them. We need you on our side, Lobo.”

“Can I hear that one more time?” Lobo grunted, leaning in and pressing his ear towards the kryptonian.

Power Girl let out a sigh. “We need you, Lobo.”

“One more time? I think I got somethin' in my ear.”

“We need you.”

“Who needs me?”

“We do.”

“Who was that?”

“Dammit Lobo, I need you!” Kara bellowed, a blast of super breath sending the czarnian staggering back slightly, the shutters on the hotel's cheap windows rattling and falling off.

“...Yeesh, say it, don't spray it,” the bounty hunter grumbled, taking another drag off of his cigar before promptly swallowing it. “Alright babe, ya got the 'Bo. But there's somethin' you should know.”

“Oh, great.” Raven droned.

“The Main Man's got a posse now, has for a little while. I call 'em in for big gigs, kinda nice to have a couple'a extra bodies. I'll have a group ready when you guys find the big demon fella. Just gimme a ring.”

“On what?” Power Girl asked.

Lobo furrowed his brow. “...Telephone, whaddya think?”

---------------------------------------

Crimson malice swirled in the sky. The vortex had begun to open over the Indian Ocean, marking perhaps the only time in history the Indian Ocean had ever been particularly important. The clouds darkened and began to coalesce, forming a sinister storm of caustic vapor. Trigon was coming. He was coming soon. He was, in fact, on his way.

“He's here,” Raven whispered, cloak blowing behind her as she perched on the edge of a rock. Etrigan had been nice enough to teleport the Justice Society to Madagascar, the closest point to the portal Trigon seemed to be opening, and it was already making serious progress. It seemed like it had all moved so fast from the point when they learned about the scions, to the point where Trigon was actually beginning to enter the world. Raven's mental anguish from not having seen it sooner distracted her, diminished her self-control. Emotions started coursing through her, making her twitch and spasm. So much at once. Too many crazy teammates. Starfire's bubbling excitement, Etrigan's malice, Creeper's insanity, Bleez's rage, Power Girl's stress. It was creating a roiling, frothing soup inside of her.

“I can't fly,” Creeper commented casually. “It's going to be quite challenging to attack if he comes down over the ocean like that. I need a jetpack or something.”

“More and more I'm thinking we're all screwed,” Kara retorted. “I didn't expect him to be this big.”

“He's as powerful as he is large.” Raven added.

“That's not particularly helpful, Raven,” Power Girl said, her eyes still focused on the sky. “Has anyone called Lobo yet?”

Bleez nodded. “I did.”

The hunched, yellow-skinned man glanced at her, arching a brow. “Wait... what? How?”

“I used the ring, idiot. Red Lanterns aren't as inflexible as people think, our rings do all the cool stuff too.”

“Huh. Learn something new every day.”

“Do you think they'll come?” Starfire said, only to suddenly turn her head, spinning in a slow circle. Something was coming, but not from the vortex. It was coming from the sky, massive and black. Almost like a cross between and airship carrier and a... motorcycle....

The massive machine landed (surprisingly lightly) on the mossy ground before the JSA, a shuttle opening and the czarnian hopping out. “That was quick. I know ya said 'he's comin'' an' all that but I didn't think it'd be the same day.”

“We're just surprised you came at all, Lobo,” Power Girl snapped, eying the ship. “Where's your crew?”

“Inside! Y'prob'ly already met most of 'em,” he offered a fanged smirk and gestured at the members of his 'team' as they walked down the gangway. “Meet Mr. Freeze, Livewire, Firefly, Poison Ivy, an' my own special little lady...” the bounty hunter shared a quick, invasive kiss with the last member to walk out. “...Cheetah.”

-----------------------------------------

“I think I've almost got it...” Victor whispered, a crazed smile coming over his face. “This magic thing, it really isn't as challenging as people make it out to be.”

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@joygirl: I remember reading the original series of this. Really cool Firefly didn't die in Secret Six. Cast was pretty cool too. I guess this means DC Mayhem is back. (More competition to outshine my stuff) :-)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joygirl

@joygirl: I remember reading the original series of this. Really cool Firefly didn't die in Secret Six. Cast was pretty cool too. I guess this means DC Mayhem is back. (More competition to outshine my stuff) :-)

Sadly the last chapter of Secret Six was supposed to be the penultimate one. There was gonna be one last huge chapter that exposes Mockingbird and had the big finale, then ravager4 dropped off the face of the world.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Coolness. I can't even remember what I was supposed to be doing for Mayhem

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Mmmm really good honey, I felt it needed a little more action, but I'm sure you got more coming *hides*

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Awesome re-introduction, can't wait to see where this goes...only thing I could nitpick is maybe a more scarier description of Trigon?

Other than that it was very enjoyable and I love that almost "End Credits Scene" with The Question.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishlad said:

only thing I could nitpick is maybe a more scarier description of Trigon?

Trigon hasn't shown up yet. He's on his way. The vortex isn't him, he's just ripping it open to get in.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImpurestCheese
Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Joygirl
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Double Gulp. Kudos though to the revamped series. I wish my writing got half as much attention as this

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@joygirl: I've been wondering what's been going on with Cheetah ever since World's Finest. Could have use more Creepiness and some dialogue from Starfire, but I get that it's hard to fit everyone in a single chapter with a team this big.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@joygirl

Lobo kinda stole the show, but that's just his character. : P

I liked the silliness of Starfire and Creeper going on in the background. As far as wishes, I wish it had more Vic, but it was a good chapter nonetheless.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@joygirl: Same as up above, Starfire and Creeps where funny :P

Nice, keep meh in the updates!

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

@joygirl said:

@impurestcheese said:

@joygirl: Trigon as in this...

Gulp
Gulp

No Caption Provided

Did someone shave Trigon's left eyebrows?

He doesn't have 'em on either side. Had to look close, it's a lighting thing. Left eyebrows are in shadow, right brows have glare.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

@joygirl: I know it might sound hard to believe considering how long I've been a member of DC Mayhem, but this is my first encounter with this series. I really love your characterization for Lobo. It's spot on with what I would expect out of the main man. I'm interested in seeing just how Lobo's posse is going to affect a prince of hell, because that sure is one hell of a motley crew he has there.

Also would I be wrong in saying I'm sensing a little romantic tension between Lobo and PG? If I'm wrong then I can definitely say that I love the banter between them. If I'm right though, I can't say it's a pairing I would have pick, but it is an "interesting" one, and I would say that I would look forward to seeing how you plan on playing that out. Either way I find the two of them hilarious together.

For all it's worth, it's good to see the band getting back together.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic: Oh, awesome :D Thanks for stopping by then, and thanks for the critique! As for a romance between Kara and Lobo, I was intending for it to be more of a one-sided thing. PG didn't go for Vartox, she wouldn't go for Lobo. :P

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Thank God she didn't go for Vartox, and I really wish you hadn't reminded me of that. That chest hair he had was the stuff nightmares were made of.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic: Aww, I loved that arc. Loved that whole run really, it's my PG bible. Shame Palmiotti spontaneously lost all his talent.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Honestly I prefered Winick's arc over Palmiotti. If it wasn't for Winick I would have never fallen in love with PG as a character. Yeah, I know he was mostly using her as an advertising point for Justice League Generation Lost, but despite that it was still a very good story. Still I don't think either writer can compare to the horror that Levitz has done to her. I never thought I would drop something with Karen in it, but Levitz pushed me too far.

That being said, I don't think Palmiotti is terrible. I actually participated in a Kickstarter that he was running for a character created comic called "Sex and Violence". The comic was pretty good, and the prints I got that were done and signed by Amanda Conner were fantastic. I also got a signed copy of All Star Western, because the post office kept lost my reward three different times, and Jimmy had to go out of his way to make sure I got it. Though, I kind of wished they had lost it again, because he said if it happened again he would get in his car and drive it too me in person. LOL.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic: Never read Winick's but did hear good things. I fell in love with PG after Palmiotti/Grey's arc, but now... well, I suppose if you aren't reading Harley Quinn you can't understand my pain.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I know I'm about to commit blasphemy in the eyes of Mayhem, but I've never been that much of a Harley fan, even back during her first appearance in the animated series. Even her Arkham incarnations were only just tolerable for me. I can't really explain why, but the clowns to me where always overrated. For me the only Batman rogue I always enjoyed was Mister Freeze. Outside of him maybe Ra's Al Ghul and Clayface. I remember Clayface's theme being one of the most badass pieces of music I had ever heard come out of the batman franchise.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers