Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

Disclaimer: Part of the DC Legacy Fan Fic series. Writer does not own characters appearing here

Rated: E for everyone

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pink feathers of the old dark blue handled feather duster swooped across the mantle place like little batwings. Its owner—one Alfred Pennyworth—stopped cleaning and surveyed his work. Seeing not a speck of dust, he smiled with satisfaction.

“While Master Bruce as Batman fights his many insane rogues like the Joker or the Riddler, I fight dust mites,” Alfred often joked to himself.

He picked up a picture frame which sat upon the mantle and wiped the glass with a rag. He sadly studied the happy couple and young son that were huddled together in that picture that had been taken so long ago. Finally, after a minute or two, he had to set the picture and the memories down.

He was pondering the tiny pieces of lead that would change that smiling, happy boy into a grim cowl-wearing vigilante, when something—or rather someone—exploded into the room. Alfred recognized him at once as the grim vigilante’s son, Damian Wayne. He noted some similarities between the boy before him and the boy in the picture frame. However, his fiery black eyes, Alfred reasoned, did not come from his father but rather his grandfather, Ra’s al Ghul.

“Where is my father?” Damian demanded without as much of a “hello” or “excuse me”. Alfred often wondered if the League of Assassins, which had raised the boy, had taught him anything about being polite.

“Master Bruce is at a charity event tonight. One which he cannot excuse himself from for his OTHER activities,” Alfred told the boy wonder. He reflected back to the portrait of Thomas and Martha Wayne and wondered what they would have thought of their son’s escapades. “So it was decided that you would remain here at Wayne Manor tonight. Master Grayson and Miss Brown have already been notified and they will take over your usual patrols.”

“So what am I supposed to do then?” Damian asked, a bit of a whine in his voice.

Alfred thought for a moment and then replied, “Well, when Master Bruce was your age, I used to tell him stories from my life. He and your brothers always seemed to like my adventures.”

“I don’t like fairy tales,” Damian stated bluntly, “besides what adventures could you—a butler—have that are not one of my father’s adventures?”

“Oh, you would be surprised how many adventures I have had that do not involve Master Bruce or Batman at all,” Alfred commented. He glanced to the large bookcase on the far side of the room and said, “For example, I had lots of adventures when I was a spy.”

“You were a spy?” Damian snorted, eyeing the balding older gentlemen. “I highly doubt that!”

“I know it’s hard to believe, but I was,” Alfred smiled, guiding the boy toward a couch beside the empty fireplace, “have a seat and I’ll tell you one of my adventures that I like to call…” he glanced at the bookshelf again, “Berettas and Lollipops.”

Damian sat down on the couch Alfred had directed him to, frowning, “ ‘Berettas and Lollipops’? What garbage is this? Well, I will hear your piece of fiction though it will be a waste of my time and talents.”

Alfred smirked, pulled a chair beside Damian and began to tell his story.

To Be Continued in DC Legacy: Batman’s Butler #2 !

#1 Posted by batkevin74 (10813 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: Nice work and great chapter title. I'm kinda hoping this will be the Princess Bride film with Damien being Fred Savage :)

#2 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: thanks

I hadn't thought about that, but now that I do it does seem similar to Fred Savage in that film...

#3 Posted by batkevin74 (10813 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: As you wish :) I really like the set up, it reads well

#4 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that even when thinking to himself Alfred calls Batman 'Master Bruce'.

I enjoyed the narrative a fair bit, and though I despise Damian, I anticipate the next chapter.

#5 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: thank you.

@Tunsieon: yeah, he seems to be so formal I can't see him calling Batman simply "bruce". It seems out of character.

thanks. Well, it might be your happy day because you won't see him that much in the next few chapters. He's merely a...Mcguffin if I might be so bold to use that term. The actual adventure will spot light other characters...some you'll recignise and some you might not...all depends. As this is a spy adventure, you will see traces of Ian Flemming in future chapters. but I digress...

thanks

#6 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#7 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

cool

thanks

#8 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally you decided to start to write this! A nice beginning, I must say. Not original, maybe, but nice nonetheless.

My faf part is this:

"He was pondering the tiny pieces of lead that world change that smiling happy boy into a grim cowl-wearing vigilante"

I like it quite a bit, even if it`s full of typos.

#9 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: typos?

#10 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet:

The words are in a whimsical order. Don`t you notice?

#11 Posted by Joygirl (20004 posts) - - Show Bio

^ world = would, and a total lack of respect for the comma, are probably what he's referring to. Anyway, I quite enjoyed this! It does have a bit of a Princess Bride feel and I must admit, I hear Alfred's TAS voice actor when I read the dialogue. ^_^ He just needs to be the tiiiiiniest smidge more sardonic, methinks.

#12 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: @Joygirl: fixed (I think...)

yeah, its been a while since I've seen that movie...don't know if it had a hand in it or what...

I was actully talking in a similar accent when writing this. I think the people on my bus believe I'm crazy now, but I don't care :)

will try to add in...

#13 Posted by TheCannon (18809 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

#14 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Nice.

thanks

#15 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet:

Great!

#16 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator: thanks

#18 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@The Impersonator: thanks

You're welcome. =)

#19 Posted by tomdickharry1984 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice work! Good story

#20 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomdickharry1984: thanks

#21 Edited by wildvine (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

This is soo cool. I would never have thought of writing about Alfred. BTW i like the "smart" joke. And the phone booth joke made me giggle.

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: thanks. I was always intrigued by the idea he was a spy and figured it would be interesting to see him as one. Of course I can't help but put in references and cameos of classic spy fiction...

I have been meaning to do the 5th issue, but haven't made the time. However, I feel like writing it now...

#23 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: @Tunsieon: @primepower53: @kfhrfdu_89_76k: @Joygirl: @The Impersonator: @tomdickharry1984: @wildvine: So, I'm going to be publishing the fifth chapter of this story very soon (after a very long delay), but first I thought I would bump this...and what better way to bump this than to post the cover to this "issue"? :D

If you look at the 4 issues that are already published, then you will see the other covers! (what is a better way to get people to read my stories some more than Photoshopped artwork?)

#24 Posted by batkevin74 (10813 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: Nice cover, would Alfred have a broomerang :)

#25 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: thanks. I believe the correct term is "Batarang" :P

#26 Posted by batkevin74 (10813 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: No that's a Batman weapon, butler's have a whole other arsenal :)

#27 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool covers.

I think I like the second one the best, since it got me chuckling. Or is the correct term, make me laugh for a few seconds, the correct term in this case?

#28 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: thanks

Yeah, I think the second one is my favorite as well.

#29 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet:WOOHOO!

#30 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

@The Poet:WOOHOO!

glad you like it.

#31 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

This

#32 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@GR2Blackout: thanks :D

#33 Posted by wildvine (9734 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool cover.

Moderator Online
#34 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: thanks!

I enjoyed making all of the chapters covers (#2 is my favorite...)

#35 Edited by cbishop (8253 posts) - - Show Bio

Hot dang! I found something (on pg 47)! Nice start. :D

#36 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

Hot dang! I found something (on pg 47)! Nice start. :D

thanks. glad you liked it.