Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Irishlad

Co-Written By: Irishlad and Joygirl

Chapter 1: Mockingbird

No Caption Provided

My name is Thomas Blake, I'm the Catman, and I'm a killer.

I try. I try not to take human lives, but sometimes… no matter how hard I try to get away, there is always something reeling me back in. I received a note in my mailbox today. It was a silver plated card with bold white writing that said “Come find me", with an address scratched on the back of it.

Well here I am, I have found you, but this place is a dump. It's one of Gotham's abandoned giant warehouses that had belonged to Haley's Circus. It's completely empty in here -- I don't even know why I'm here in the first place, other than curiousity. Man I hope it doesn't kill the cat this time. The warehouse is freezing and it stinks of tarmac and gasoline and... people. I'm not alone.

------------

It was night, and the room was pitch dark. Thomas's eyes started to slowly adjust, picking up vague shapes, but it was like stumbling around with your eyes closed.

“Hello, is anyone in here?” the voice echoes across the hollow room.

A reply came quickly, foppish, and with just a hint of insanity that Catman couldn't help but find familiar. "Ahem... no, nobody here but us monkeys. Feel free to say bye-bye, now."

That voice... so familiar. “Are you the one that sent me the card?” Catman shouts across the room, his knees bending slowly to bring him into a more combat-ready stance. There was something wrong about this, that much he knew.

"Allow me to apologize in advance," the voice returned. Catman glanced up -- it was coming from above him, now.

"But we aren't accepting guests at the moment."

Apologize...? Catman furrowed his brow for a moment before suddenly being entangled in limbs, strong, steely, malleable tendons wrapping around his throat and head, choking the life out of him. He tried to drop his center of gravity, throw whatever this... thing, was, off of him, but it was to no avail. He bashed at the tentacle-like appendages wildly with his hands, tried to headbutt backwards, but all he struck was soft, pliable, rubber-like tissue....

"Now, now, be a good sport about this. It doesn't have to be any worse than it... well, has to be." That voice again. So familiar, like he'd heard it for years, but just couldn't....

"...Ragdoll?" Blake choked out, trying to pry those limbs off of him. "Peter, is that you?"

"Possibly, who's asking?" The voice said. It was him. It was Peter Merkel Jr.

"Ragdoll, enough. It's Catman”, he's supposed to be here." A light siddenly flicked on, and Scandal Savage stepped into the room from an adjacent door, followed by a maskless Bane.

The light illuminated Catman half-crouched, half-kneeling in the center of the room, his face going purple from strangulation, with the bandage-wrapped, triple-jointed Ragdoll wrapped around him. He quickly disentangled himself when he noted who it was he was killing, and flopped backwards onto the ground, coiling himself into a somewhat standing position in that perpetually... wrong, way he had of doing things.

Catman gasped for breath, pulling at the collar of his costume, before looking up at his three ex-teammates. “What the hell is this a reunion? Which one of you set this up?"

The auburn-haired woman known as Scandal was the first to respond, her voice sounding confused. "I don't know none of us did. Ragdoll, you should apologize."

"I already did," Peter grinned behind his mask of wrappings, curling his legs behind his back and using his own limbs as a hammock of sorts.

"Ah, right, yes, you always do," the woman said, shaking her head. "So you don't know who set this up either, Blake?"

I DID.

No Caption Provided

A television in the center of the room suddenly flickers on, showing a dark silhouette of a songbird. The robotic voice emanated from it.

Scandal narrowed her eyes. "Who the hell are you?"

WHO I AM DOES NOT MATTER. HOWEVER, IF YOU WOULD LIKE, YOU MAY CALL ME MOCKINGBIRD. WHAT IS OF IMPORTANCE IS THE REASON I BROUGHT THE FIVE OF YOU HERE TONIGHT.

"Five?" Scandal asked quickly, scanning the room. Catman, Ragdoll, Bane, and her.

YES. GRIFTER, STEP OUT OF THE SHADOWS, PLEASE.

A brief flick of fire lit up a cigarette, illuminating a dark corner of the room. A man in a loose red mask waved idly. "Sorry, was having too much fun watchin' the cat over there screech like a little girl. Can you blame me?"

THE REASON I BROUGHT THE FIVE OF YOU HERE TODAY IS FOR A MISSION.

Bane spoke for the first time since Catman had arrived, his powerful arms crossed imposingly over his chest. "A mission. And why should we trust you?"

YOU NEED NOT TRUST ME. ALL YOU NEED KNOW IS THAT I AM WILLING TO PAY YOU EACH TWENTY-FIVE MILLION TO COMPLETE IT.

Out of either shock or reflex, Ragdoll contorted himself into one of the more unusual positions lurking in his twisted imagination. "Twenty-five MILLION?" He gasped. His mind was already wandering, so many things he could buy... he could get the monkey section of the zoo and fill the entire place with vaseline and peanut butter....

Everyone else's reaction was not entirely different. Even Bane's eyes widened with a spark of desire and hope.

YES, AND I--

"Save it. I reject your offer." Catman immediately turned and began to walk towards the exit, his dark, tattered cape sweeping behind him.

MR. BLAKE, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO WITH THOSE RICHES. YOU COULD LIVE IN COMFORT FOR QUITE SOME TIME, IN PEACE.

"I don't care about the #@%&ing money!" Catman shouted, stooping quickly to pick up an old piece of an axle and throw it at the screen. He missed. Gritting his teeth, he tried to calm himself down, squeezing his eyes shut and walking away. He couldn't do this again, not the Secret Six, or... five. He couldn't.

THEN PERHAPS YOU'LL CARE WHO THE TARGET IS.

Blake paused, taking another breath and slowly turning back towards the room. "Who is it?"

THE JOKER.

The room fell silent, all that could be heard was the occasional flicker from the television. Even Ragdoll was stuck scratching his head, trying to think of something to say, but there was nothing to be said. They each knew Joker was a demented, homicidal maniac that had killed hundreds of people. They each knew at least one person he had killed.

Catman eventually clenched his fist, tightening his emotions and going against every single warning sign buzzing in his head. “Fine... I'm in," he said quietly.

Each member eventually followed, and agreeing one way or the other -- whether it was simply for revenge, money, challenge, or the joy of the slaughter, they were all committed.

Mockingbird's robotic voice buzzed through again.

IT'S SETTLED THEN. THE MISSION BEGINS TOMORROW, AND THE JOKER WILL FINALLY DIE.

Blake peered at the cracked television screen. “Woah, slow down a sec, how will we know where to find him?”

Grifter stepped out of his little corner, nodding and chiming in himself. “Yeah, Joker ain't exactly the most predictable person in the world.”

YOU'RE QUITE RIGHT, GENTLEMEN. THAT'S WHY I'VE BROUGHT IN SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HIM QUITE WELL.

“Who do you speak of? The Bat?" Bane inquired, not seeming fazed. He had not yet even uncrossed his arms.

NO. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE THE NEWEST MEMBER OF THE SECRET SIX. I BELIEVE SOME OF YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH HER.

A new silhouette stood in the entryway, black against the room's internal lighting. One footstep rang out as she stepped into the warehouse.

Mismatched, pointed boots.

Black and red corset.

Red and black pigtails.

Domino mask over pure white skin.

"...Ta da! Harley Quinn, pleasedtameetcha!"

NEXT CHAPTER HERE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Caption Provided
ekrolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ekrolo

Pretty cool, I didnt expect Harley to join the team, was this inspired by her joining Suicide Squad in the New 52?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By Joygirl

I'm a Harleyholic but ironically IrishLad suggested her. She has been on the Secret Six before during their arc in Birds of Prey, so she isn't entirely new to the team. :P

ekrolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ekrolo

Really? I did not know that, guess I should finally check out some BoP stuff.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Project_Worm

@Irishlad: Oh man! Harley's going to help The Six kill The Joker? This is going to be interesting. Good Work man!

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Irishlad

maybe she will maybe she won't? you'll have to see :P

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CapFanboy

@Irishlad: sweet!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Love it. Knew you were gonna fit Harley in, one way or another.

Avatar image for underdogs_overboard
UnderDogs_OverBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw deadpool there!

ahahahaha

really love how you incorporate art in your Fic's...

Harley needs revenge? O money?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Irishlad: MUST. HAVE. MOOOOOOORRRREEE!

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By rav4

Secret Six! Yay! <3

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I lovesss it

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Irishlad

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Stay tuned :P

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joygirl

We've got some really great stuff lined up, hoping to do Gail Simone justice. ^_^ Hope you folks enjoy the ride.

Rusty_Irons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rusty_Irons

I'm a tad confused. Does this play into Gotham Hearts somehow?

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Irishlad

As far as I know Gotham Hearts is set before this. But I'd wait for Joygirls confirmation since it's her baby xD.

What did you think of the story?

Rusty_Irons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rusty_Irons

Great story guys.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Joygirl

Yup, as Irishlad says, this takes place after Gotham Hearts is said and done (which I realize it is not). ^_^ Very exciting, ne?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By batkevin74

@Irishlad: @Joygirl: A tag team writing effort, nice! Good idea. Time_Phantom and I did Wakanda Expedition one chapter each. Well written, nice team and good, very good. If you roped in as well, then my head my actually explode! :)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Joygirl

Ironically, we had actually considered propositioning him for a crossover.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#21  Edited By wildvine

Cool.

Johnslamby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Johnslamby

Ok, So far.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

Wow! That's really good work you two! Very impressive, some of the younger people could learn a thing or two by reading this (ooo I'm being a b!tch) Well done, nice use of the pictures as well

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Wow! This is awesome so far! I can't wait to see how the Secret Six will deal with Joker!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lykopis

Beyond fantastic, great job guys!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By batkevin74
No Caption Provided
KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By KEROGA
No Caption Provided

@Joygirl: Hey just posted the cover on my image-album,PM what you think.would also like to discuss something as well, :)

Mediumflyer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Mediumflyer7

Quite an unexpected roster... LOVE IT!!!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Joygirl

Bump! For those who don't know, the saga continues here.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

A very intriguing Roster. Great start

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Irishlad

@fuchsia_nightingale Thank you :D

and ahhhh the memories, btw @joygirl did you know we got over 1000 views on this? holy crap that's a lot of people xD

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishlad:

Pretty sweet yeah. Hoping that having the #1 lingering around will get a few more folks reading the current installments.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

bump