DC Genesis - Nightwing #3 (Rated M)

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Edited By Trodorne

October nights never get easy to adjust too, ever.Nightwing thought to himself as he jumped to the next roof.

Landing on the next roof he could not help but to shiver, his body was not cold as it was well insulated but feeling the light cold wind on his face he could feel the damp cold pierce into his skin. Coming down to the docks tonight was not part of his patrol, Though as cliched as it was Nightwing thought, It is to this day in Gotham one of the best places to do shady business if you don't like cameras. Lots of dark areas, empty containers or warehouses or boats to conduct your business. Nightwing new this. Though he does not know if there is a deal going on. But he knew of someone here who would.

A grate opened to under the docks between two large warehouses. A dirty kerosine lamp started to rise out of from the opening followed by a hand. Nightwing waited to see if it was really him before he showed himself. Soon the image of a small man with a slight hunch and a harry face with a beard that looked barely kept at all or washed. He often looked like one of the homeless men from the 1920's during the great depression Nightwing always thought. Nightwing thought it was safe to come down.

"Mr.Dirt, hows the weather treating you?" Nightwing said coming up to the man from behind him.
   "Oh hey Mr.Wing. I was just going to hit the cafeteria truck they have parked over here. Want to join me for a bite?" He said with a large grin showing off some missing teeth.
  "Always like clockwork when getting your meals."
  "At my age son you need to stay regular.." He said, Nightwing had to take a moment and cringe at the moment.
  "How about if I save you a trip..." Nightwing hinted, soon he pulled out a double plastic bag from the back of his belt. "Inside is still very hot chili, 6 inch freshly baked itallian bread with butter, and 5 oatmeal raisin cookies made by moi to keep you regular. IN exchange for information..." Nightwing stopped and dangled the food infront of the older man. The slight hunch became straight he slightly drooled on his thick beard.
   "What information do you need?"
   "Drugs."
   "There is so much that comes in, care to narrow it down."
   "Personally id like it all but I am specifically needing info of a new drug that appears to being used in insulen pens."
  "Hmmm." Mr.Dirt said as he was beginning to stroke his beard a bit, then it became a scratch. "All I know is there are a few disgruntled dealers who were cut out of selling this drug if its the same one; But i think that they were being sold over the counter at some pharmacy, seemed like the were a few of them but not many. thats all I know of that."

Nightwing felt reluctant to give him the goods at all but it was a lead at least. He handed Mr.Dirt the bag, leaving the slightly hunched man to walk back to his manhole to the underground. Slowly heading down the ladder with his kerosine lantern in hand. "Have a good night, Mr.Wing" he said and before he went down Nightwing stopped him for a moment.

"I always wondered about you, is why you don't use the wayne foundation shelters to help you get back onto your feet and live above ground?" 

"Are you kidding? above ground in this city? lots of crazies out there. hahahahahaha" He continued to laugh as he descended down the tunnel then closing the grate. Nightwing did nothing but shake his head. His first lead in this case and he needed to find out more about what pharmacies out in this city would be selling this drug. He used his grapple gun and took off for the roof tops again to finish up his patrol.  

One the way he stopped on a roof 5 blocks from the docks, he heard what sounded like singing from a bunch of patrons from a local tavern noted by Nightwing as a popular place for the international sailors who come from over seas, but judging from there accent they had to be from the maritimes of canada, probably the city of Nova Scotia. But as much he enjoyed the drunken singing from sailors as they would have interesting songs this was cut short when two large men came out of the alley.

"Hey old men, give us your wallets and whatever valuables you have or you could end up like this garbage can" Said the biggest one with red hair, the ginger kicked the nearby dumpster and put a large dent in it and sent it 10 feet further down the alley. 

The sailors in there interest were about willing to get into a fight but half of the men fell to there knees but groaned as they tried to reach for there wallets. Coming down from the roof about 7 stories and came up from behind the ginger headed thug and landed both feet on the back of the thugs knees and wrapped  arm around his large neck. The ginger wailed as he fell to his knees. "God damn them all."

The phrase itself almost like a light switch in the drunken sailors turned on as Nightwing kicked off the ginger and pulled out his night sticks, The sailors began to sing from where the ginger left off. " God Damn them all; I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold. We'd fire no guns, shed no tears. Im a broken man of a halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers." Singing together in almost unison which caught Nightwing off guard for a second as the second thug with dirty blond hair rushed him into the brick wall. 

Nightwing fought back by quickly smacking the dirty blond thug on both ears with his night sticks, Listening to the sailors still belting out there song. "The Antelope sloop was a sickening sight, HOW I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW! She'd a list to the port and her sails in rags and the cook in scuppers with the staggers and the jag. God damn them all I was told..." 

The dirty blonde recovered fast and threw constant left and right punches and tried a few elbow swings. Nightwing easily dodged them and used the blades on his wrist guards and cut both palms of the thug and kicked out the side of this left knee and a quick temple strike with his elbow to take him down. Then the ginger came up behind and kicked Nightwing in the lower back into the alley way of some different buildings, the ginger staggered towards Nightwing when he stopped to hear the sailors still singing. 

"The Yankee lay low down with gold, HOW I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW!  She was broad and fat and loose in the stays but to catch her took the Antelope two whole days; God damn them all..." They continued to ring out. "SHUT UP YOU STUPID OL...." The ginger was yelling when he took two feet to the side of his face and fell down on his side, he crawled up. Both Nightwing and the ginger took up boxing stance. "Hey big boy, you don't look so good." He said jokingly. 

The ginger thug waited for nightwing to make a few punches and blocked them, but was too tired to fight back and was staggering back against the wall. Figuring to get a hit in, he waited till Nightwing stopped and stepped up and threw in a left fist. Nightwing leapt on the leg of the ginger he was leading with for the punch with one foot he pushed himself up and landed his knee on the bottom of his chin. the hit was hard and made the ginger collapse. as Nightwing caught his breathe he finished listening to the sailors. "God damn them all, I was told we'd cruise the seas for american gold.... Im a broken man on the Halifax pier...... The last... of  Barrett's Privateers."

Nightwing clapped with what energy he had left. "That was great, for the parts i heard. You in the tartan jacket, work on baritone. now anyone want to help me tie these guys up? and after that call a cab it would be safer of a way home." The sailors did tie them up and making some fancy knots as they put the two thugs together. they headed back into the tavern again singing. Nightwing could not restrain himself to shake his head. "Crazy canucks."

As Nightwing began to make a call for the police to show up from a pay phone, he was being watched from a dark buick from the far end of the street, a shadowy figure puts down his binoculars and picks up his cell phone. "Sorry to bother you sir. this batch worked well. much more coherency from this and with the very light amounts of heroin it will make them much easier to control.... but sir there is a problem. I'll show you." Lifted up his cell phone to take a picture of Nightwing at the pay phone and sent it in as part of the message. "You should have it now sir."

Inside a dim lit study with a fireplace roaring away. A figure pulled down his cell phone and looked at the image that was sent to him. He grumbled deeply for a moment. "I'll send you a couple of our boys. I want this costumed freak finished and out of our hair. You have 48 hours before the next shipment. If this is not handled Ill make sure you will not see the next day." he threw his cell phone into the fire place as the image of Nightwing began to fade while the plastic began to melt in the heat.

SIngli6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SIngli6

You're prose style is acceptable, but please never again use the phrase "thought to himself". It is one of the most contemptible lines of first-person narratives. Unless your story concerns telepathy, you need not specify that your protagonist thought it proper to conceive his own thoughts in his mind. It is redundant.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Trodorne
@SIngli6: Cool, thanks for the comment. :)
KisserNe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By KisserNe

Another fantastic issue, Trodorne!

I am intrigued to read the next parts and I can not wait to see what happens.

You have some errors in this, but nothing too major...all in all, its a good and clean read :)

Not to mention, Nightwing has some good lines in his dialogue. Bravo :))