DC Converso: Zoom, the Heroic Flash #3

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The Rogues. A tight-knit group of blue collar heroes, armed with gadgets and weapons that, in the 21st century, were extremely advanced and effective. Even though they weren't the most powerful heroes, they were one of the best known ones. Their teamwork and comradeship made them capable of fighting countless many obscure threats that Central City apparently attracted for reasons that historians could do nothing but speculate about. Zoom had hoped to meet the Rogues as well as fighting along side with them.

"Take him down Rogues!"

Unfortunately, Zoom's first meeting with the Rogues weren't exactly an invitation to join the group.

A bright flash of blue energy blasts over Zoom's head, striking the side of a car behind him and quickly covered it's hull in thick, solid ice. The five costumed heroes charged toward their target from down the street.

Captain Cold, Heatwave, the Trickster, Weather Wizard and Mirror Master. Five heroes of the people.

Zoom realized that he had no choice but to kick the crap out of them.

Trying to reason with them would be fruitless right now. Maybe they would listen to reason... once Zoom had subdued them.

Zoom couldn't help it but grin for himself. Taking on the Rogues could be quite the exercise, and the perfect way to try out his powers in combat. He ran towards the team at super speed. Everything went slow motion for Zoom, Captain Cold was busy barking orders to his allies (that none of them were listening to), Heatwave and Mirror Master were both charging their weapons, something that should only take a few seconds. More then enough time. Weather Wizard was shooting a bolt of lightning from his trademark wand at Zoom's last known position, as he hadn't registered the missing speedster movement, the Trickster was hovering in the air with his flying shoes, all while he was preparing one of his infamous whoopie cushion gas grenades.

Quite average for Central City, really.

Zoom decided to start with Cold. He punched the Rogues leader in his somewhat deformed chin. He fell to the ground and all the Rogues instinctively turned towards Zoom.

"He's there!" Heatwave yelled, as they opened fire. Flashes of orange and blue were easily evaded as the Golden Speedster grabbed Heatwave's flamethrower and tore it from his grasp. Strangely enough the name 'Susan' was printed on the side.

I don't even want to know, Zoom thought for himself.

"I've got him!" Mirror Master bellowed through a car windshield's reflection, as he tackled into the distracted Zoom's waist. They were both lying on the ground, but Zoom was arm-locked by Mirror Master.

"GET HIM!" Mirror Master squealed as Zoom vibrated in an attempt to shake him off. Before any of Sam Scudder's teammates could aid him, the Government Agent went flying across the street. Zoom was back on his feet, just in time to see the Trickster lobbing his whoopie cushion directly at him... only to get it thrown right back, knocking the young man in the stomach and sending him tumbling to the ground.

"OOF!" He gasps, the laughing gas whoopie cushion was streaming directly into his face. "Some.... somebody grab him!" He snapped, as he tried to hold back a fit of chuckles.

Thunder boomed in the sky, as Weather Wizard pointed his wand towards the heavens, summoning a bolt of brilliant blue lightning. Despite being from the future, where this sort of thing would be considered commonplace, Zoom was actually impressed. The 21st Century was truly full of wonders.

"Is he faster then lightning?!" The Wizard yells before he fired his arc of deadly energy toward Zoom.

"Let's find out!" Zoom replied, before he jumped forward, curious to see the extent of his speed. As he dashed past the lightning and landed atop a parked car, Zoom couldn't help it but declare; "YES!!!!" Before Weather Wizard could react, he got decked in the face. The wand clattered as it fell to the ground. Zoom took a quick glance around him. He saw nothing but defeated opponents. They were groaning, but none of them seriously hurt. And Trickster were still giggling without any self control.

"Gentlemen." Zoom said. "I am NOT the Flash. If I were, you would all be dead by now. Now, how about we-"

FWAZAPP!!

As ice covers his body, courtesy of Captain Cold, Zoom realized YET AGAIN how stupid he was. With a PhD, one would expect that he could count to five.

"I don't know." Captain Cold muttered, as he stepped back from the wall he was hiding behind. "How many light headed speedsters are there?"

Zoom knew from the history files that Leonard Snart one day would become one of Humanity's Greatest Champions. But right now, he just looked like a cocky son of a b!tch.

"We got him!" Heat Wave grinned. "We actually got that SOB."

"Guys, wa- hehe- wait." Trickster looked like the laughing gas were losing it's effect on him. "I think superpants actually is telling the truth." Prankster took of his headset, and turned the sound to max.

"Calling all units near STAR Labs! The Flash has been spotted, officers down, STAR Labs is on fire! All available units are ordered to respond!"

"I usually hack into the police radio, just in case, you know. Whoever this jerk is, he is not THE Flash."

"So... what?" Heatwave asked. "We let this guy... go?"

"No." Cold cracked his neck. "Captain Yellow here could be Flash's sidekick or something. He was probably suppose to keep us occupied, while Flash goes shopping. Mark, you stay here and keep an eye on this speedster. If he tries to get free of the ice... be creative."

"With pleasure!" Weather Wizard said with a grin.

Mirror Master summoned a large shield, which the Rogues went into and disappeared, except for Weather Wizard who were watching Zoom while tapping on his wand. He looked like he HOPED Zoom would try and get free of the ice, so that he would be given an excuse to attack him. Zoom sighed. Trying to vibrate out of the ice was too risky. He had to wait and hope that the Rogues would listen to him, explaining that...

... Wait, Zoom thought for himself. Did they say that STAR Lab was on fire? Zoom realized that it must have been today that the Flash had attacked the lab facility, robbing it for the UFO technology that the Rogues had given them from one of the many alien invasions. On a day where there were a school exhibition.

"Weather Wizard, you MUST let me go!"

"Try anything funny and I will grow a tornado inside your belly."

"Twelve people are going to die."

"Man, are you really trying to threate-"

"Twelve civilians are going to die at STAR Labs."

"What?"

"I don't have time to explain myself, but I'm from the future! I'm here to try and stop the Flash and save as many lives as possible, you HAVE to let me go!"

"... You are either stupid or cra-"

"I mean it! Are you ready to have twelve people's life on your conscience because you won't let me go?"

"... Weird stuff happens in this town. But I have yet to have met a time-traveler. And I'm pretty sure that if I met one. then he wouldn't be dressed like a murdering sonofa-"

"THE CLOCK IS TICKING, YOU GOD DAMN IDIOT!"

"Do we have to?"

Heatwave realized immediately that it was a stupid thing to say.

They stood in front of a burning building that was the STAR Lab. The flames were massive and high, and the firefighters couldn't make it since there were another emergency at the other end of town. The Rogues were the only people avaiable who could stop the fire.

And Heat Wave had asked whatever they... had to

"... DUDE! For realsies?!" Trickster paused the CPR he was performing on of the scientists they had gotten out of the burning building.

"I'm sorry, SORRY! It's just..." It's so beautiful, Heatwave thought for himself, knowing that only a very disturbed man would find a burning building appealing.

"What is WRONG with you?!" Mirror Master rolled his eyes. "I sometimes wonder why I said yes to get the gang back toge-"

"Focus, ladies." Cold charged up his cold-gun. "We can all discuss Mick's sick brain once we stopped the fire. Sam, are the building empty?"

"Got as many out as I could. But there aren't that many reflection inside that damn inferno." He sighed. "I could only save four."

"Alright, we have no choice... I'm gonna freeze the pla-"

Before Cold could finish the sentence, a streak of yellow pushed him to the ground. Cold discovered that his gun was gone.

"Sunova... his back!" Cold grinned his teeth. "Mick, you are the only one of us who can get inside that burning hellhole. You... WHAT THE HELL?!"

Cold almost dropped the child he now held in his arms. It was a girl. She coughed, her clothes were burned and her face black of soot. He watched, as yellow flashes came and disappear, each time delivering another person(42 in total). Seconds later, the guy in the golden Flash costume stood in front of him, returning Cold's gun.

"As I was saying before..." Zoom coughed. His costume had been damaged by the flames. "I am NOT the Flash."

Later...

"But why the #&%)( are you wearing a Flash costume?!"

After a couple of ambulances had picked up the victims, Cold had asked Zoom to have a chat with him. The had found a bench, while the other Rogues were assisting the medics.

"Look..." Zoom sighed. "I needed a suit that could withstand my superhuman speed, and... I thought it could be... symbolic. That I was a Reverse-Flash, so to say."

Cold didn't say anything. He just raised a eyebrow.

"Yes, YES! I know it was stupid!" Zoom groaned. "Truth is, I was just eager to get started. I should have changed the suit more, removed the cowl, added a domino mask, change the symbol, something like that. God, I'm an idiot..."

"Kid, you saved a lot of people today, that's all that maters. For my sake, you could dress up as Putin." Cold placed a hand on Zoom's shoulder. "You did good today. So... From the future?"

"Yes... I hope to prevent as many deaths as possible. I'm not sure I can stop the Flash, even though I know almost everything about him."

"Even... Who the Flash really is?"

"No." Zoom lied, not sure if he should reveal a secret that could screw up the future. "And I can't change history too much... Or... I don't think I can. I'm honestly not sure how time-traveling works."

"But you can change it, right?"

Zoom smiled. "Today, I proved that I can. According to the history files, 12 people were suppose to die today because of the fire. But-"

"Hey, Lenny!" Heat Wave interrupted. He had taken off his mask, revealing a bald head. "One of the doctors want to talk to you."

"How is it going with the patients?" Cold asked.

"They are fine... well... that is, most of them."

Zoom froze.

"Well, they are still giving them treatment and all that." Heat Wave scratched his head. "But... not all of them-"

"How many?" Zoom looked at Heat Wave, already knowing the answer.

"Kid..." Cold had a bad feeling about how Zoom would react. "You can't save everyon-"

"HOW MANY DIED?" Zoom bit his lower lip.

"Um, well... Twelve."

At first, Zoom didn't react. He just sat there with a blank face. Cold and Heat Wave exchanged looks, not sure what to do.

Then, Zoom stood up... And screamed like someone had sawed off his left arm, and he had only noticed it now.

And then, he ran.

"... Sh%t!" Heat Wave said. "I didn't mean to..."

"Not your fault, Mick." Cold sighed. "Poor guy. That must have been one hell of a slap in the face."

"... What was his name, anyway? And why did he wear a Flash costume?"

"His name...&/%#!" Cold placed his hand flat across his face. "I forgot to ask!"

Next time; Saving Nora!

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

As I said in the PM. Very good issue With a very cool surprising ending. I like the moment when Zoom saves the child from the fire the best as it really shows how heroic he is.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@waezi2: Definatly a rouge outing, love how the Rouges managed to overpower their foefriend whatever Zoom is

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Some times bad people do good things. Odd how that works. Really sometimes bad on a scale is not bad at all. Good on that same scale however takes work.

You just do not blunder into being a hero.

You have to be selfless and you tend to wear down easy and you even try to save the bad guy.

One of the flaws of Superman or one of his better points.

He can sometimes by example save the bad ones.

I like long lived villains whom change over time. They simply took longer then most to grow into seeing the error in the ways.

Zoom is he evil or is he good or is he just trying to figure out the universe.

Great story.

Food for thought.