#1 Posted by batkevin74 (9725 posts) - - Show Bio

(Part of the CORRUPTED universe. All characters owned by DC, though the story is mine and it may have some original elements to it, it's a DC Universe so if they want it, they can have it! Rated MA for nudity, though it is only brief nudity)

Gotham City

Zara Lawton threw open the roller door of the rusted storage locker. She had promised her mother she wouldn’t come here until she’d passed away, and it had been a week since she died.

Dust billowed into the air as she stepped inside. Fifty years of dust, dead moths and rat faeces littered the place. The florescent light flickered on. Zara covered her mouth and walked towards the large box in the centre of the room marked “Belle Reve Penitentiary” in faded black writing. Zara pulled a crowbar out of her jacket.

“Let’s see if mom’s drunken rants were right or wrong” muttered Zara as she jammed it into the side of the crate and prised it open. The wood cracked and the front fell off sending another dust cloud into the air. Zara coughed and waved it away from her face. Her coughing gave way to a look of shock and amazement.

“Holy crap!” shrieked Zara as she looked at the uniform of Deadshot, preserved in a plexi-glass tube.

Zara Lawton admired herself in the mirror as she modelled her grandfathers costume “Damn, I look good!” She bunched her black hair up into a makeshift bun and put the mask on; it smelt of blood and stale cigarettes. Her hair made the mask not sit straight, so she took it off.

“The mask makes the outfit,” stated Zara as she held up the mask like she was weighing it, then grabbed her long hair in the other “But my long luscious hair! What’s a girl to do?”

There was the familiar sound of the door unbolting “Crap!” Zara quickly stripped off and shoved it into a bag under the bed.

“Zara?”

Zara stepped out of the room wearing nothing but a towel “Oh hi!”

The young lady holding bags of shopping looked at her “What are you doing?”

“Taking a shower” she replied sheepishly.

“Did you not break up with me yesterday?” she snapped dumping the shopping onto the table and firmly planting her hands on her hips.

“Oh that was yesterday Helen.” giggled Zara as she slunk forward “Today is well, today. And I’m wearing a towel”

“How much longer do you think I’m going to put up with this?” Helen crossed her arms “You treat me like an emotional punching bag!”

“Fine, whatever!” scoffed Zara dropping the towel, turning on her heels and heading back to the bedroom naked “I was going to show you something cool but forget it!”

Helen stormed into the room after her, grabbed her by the wrist and spun her around “This has got to stop!”

“You’re hurting me!” whined Zara.

“And you’re hurting ME!” yelled Helen “No more games Zara! You’re either with me or we’re through, okay?”

Zara snatched her arm back and gathered up her clothes and started to get dressed. Helen glared at her the whole time. Zara pulled up the Deadshot mask from under the bed and tossed it on the mattress.

“What is that?” Helen picked it up, studying it with curiosity.

“That’s what I WAS going to show you!” Zara said snatching it back “But since we’re over!”

“You are such a petty bitch!” Helen snatched the mask back.

“Give it back!” demanded Zara.

Across the street a T-sphere hovered, doing its usual checks; air temp, humidity, crowd census, identity checks, when the sounds of arguing triggered its anti-domestic violence protocols. It hovered up to the fourth floor to see a woman struggling with another woman. Its cameras engaged and the scanner quietly surveyed the occupants. Internal alarms fired.

< METAHUMAN COSTUME DETECTED! PROCESSING…LAWTON, FLOYD AKA DEADSHOT>

The T-sphere signalled a local Hawkman patrol to deal with the escalating situation.

“You want it” Helen put the mask on “Come get it?”

“Helen that belonged to my grandfather okay! I’m sorry I came back here but after my mom…”

“You and your mom!” scoffed Helen, her voice slightly muffled “What is it this time? What elaborate story am I supposed to believe this time?”

“She’s dead”

“That’s a new one!” stated Helen “This mask really stinks by the way”

Zara picked the bedside lamp “Take off the mask before I knock it off you!”

“You talk tough Zara bu…”

KER-RUNCH! Helen slammed into the wall with a sickening snap. Zara stood there, mouth agape as a Hawkman entered through the window to retrieve his mace that had broken her former girlfriend.

“Threat down!” said the Hawkman as he looked down at the broken young lady “Are yo…”

“You animal!” shrieked Zara as she hurled the lamp at him. It bounced harmlessly off his chest, shattering on the floor.

“You shouldn’t have done that!” he said tapping the mace head into his palm “Because now I have to take you in.”

Zara gulped as the large winged man walked towards her.

To be continued...

@joshmightbe @blackreaper @pyrogram @bronze_surfer @falconpuuunch @project_worm

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24099 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the set up, there seems to be a fair amount of hate for the hawkmen from our heroes

#3 Posted by TommytheHitman (2451 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting and enjoyable.

#4 Posted by batkevin74 (9725 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Yeah, they're an easy visible target. You see them all the time, so they tend to cop the brunt of hero hate!

@tommythehitman: Thanks!

#5 Posted by BlackReaper (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. What exactly is the purpose of T-spheres?

#6 Posted by batkevin74 (9725 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackreaper: I see them as sophisticated security cameras. They hover about scanning the crowd, the environment to make sure things are okay. They are the first line of defence, a deterent since they seem to always be around. They call in Hawkman patrols to their locations to deal with things that require hands, speaking etc. They just record, monitor and hover. That's what I saw them as. There are probably more sophisticated ones but generally they're a sphere that keeps tabs on people. That's how I saw them

#7 Posted by dngn4774 (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: I liked this intro, especially the surprising way the Hawkman entered.

@blackreaper The t-spheres can also record the faces of rebels, analyze fighting styles, and scan for weaknesses in enemy fighting patterns. They constantly communicate with the Hawkmen and relay the information back to shade headquarters (sort of the brain to the hawkmens' brawn. They are actually more dangerous than the Hawkmen since they can keep calling in reinforcements if they see an enemy gaining the upper hand in the fight.

#8 Posted by batkevin74 (9725 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774 said:

@blackreaper The t-spheres can also record the faces of rebels, analyze fighting styles, and scan for weaknesses in enemy fighting patterns. They constantly communicate with the Hawkmen and relay the information back to shade headquarters (sort of the brain to the hawkmens' brawn. They are actually more dangerous than the Hawkmen since they can keep calling in reinforcements if they see an enemy gaining the upper hand in the fight.

I can get onboard with that

#9 Edited by tomdickharry1984 (830 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by batkevin74 (9725 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by wildvine (7136 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74

Nicely set up. And gotta love a cliff hanger ending. Will read the next one shortly.

#12 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1540 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: “This mask really stinks by the way” Ha ha ha ha the downside of borrowing another's costume. I can imagine Batman or even Moon Knight's reeking of old festering sweat!

And once again a "what's gonna happen next ending!" Very good!

#13 Posted by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that this was a reveal for a new series.

#14 Edited by batkevin74 (9725 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by ImpurestCheese (3545 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: Cool. Finally reached the beginning, Now what?

#16 Posted by batkevin74 (9725 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by ImpurestCheese (3545 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: Nope. I'm starting at five again and going back round. :-)