Clark part 1

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By joshmightbe

My name is Clark Kent, and my life is strange. Most adopted kids find out their real parents were unprepared teens, or had a car accident or just sucked, Nothing so mundane for the Kent boy though.

Smallville, Kansas 1980

A middle aged childless couple drive down the dirt road to their farm after an anniversary dinner at a fancy restaurant that Jonathan Kent had saved up for a month to pay for. Martha gave her husband a half smile, she loved Jonathan dearly and was happy with her life aside from one detail. She'd visited with her younger sister earlier that day and spent a few hours playing with her children which always made her a bit down about her inability to have children.

Jonathan knew the problem but knew well enough not to bring it out in the open until she was ready. As they drove past the rows of corn in their fields a light passed over and then slammed down not 10 yards from the truck.

Jonathan parked and decided to investigate, "It could be dangerous Jon, lets just call someone to check it out."

Jonathan rolled his eyes, " I did two tours in Nam, Martha, I can handle taking a peek at some space junk or what ever it is."

She sighed having heard similar statements more times than she could count. After a minute or so she heard Jonathan, "Martha come quick, you gotta see this."

As she arrived at the crater she saw the ship and Jonathan was attempting to open it. She moved to stop him but heard the sound of a crying baby coming from inside.

She climbed down just as he pried it open and pulled out an infant boy and a message that was at first in an unintelligible language but after the ship seemed to scan their minds it came out in English, "Please, take care of our son, he is the last of his kind."

14 year old Clark Kent glares at his clock radio as it blares bad jokes from a morning DJ, he moves to swat the snooze button. His eyes go wide as his bedside table collapses beneath the exploding clock. Jonathan swung the door open, "What the hell was that?"

Clark shrugged, "I barely touched it."

Clark prepared to be read the riot act but his father looked more concerned than mad and just sighed. Clark put it out of his mind and went down for breakfast. As he finished up he noticed the school bus pulling away so he headed out the door to run for the bus, he started at a normal pace but suddenly the world seemed to start whizzing by for minute before he stopped. He looked around at the rain forest that surrounded him.

Several hours later Clark strolled into the Kent house looking both confused and a bit frightened as his father marched up to him, "Where exactly did you have to be that was more important than school?"

Clark looked up to him a bit shaken, "Apparently Brazil."

Jonathan glared, "You're not funny."

Clark excitedly yelled, "I'm not trying to be, I go to run for the bus and suddenly bam, Brazil."

Martha had come out of the kitchen as he spoke. He looked to his parents who were being surprisingly calm all of the sudden. Martha quietly stated, "Oh."

Clark then began to get agitated, " Oh?!, Oh?!, I just ran from Kansas to Brazil in a minute."

Jonathan then spoke in a calm tone, "Now son, this is no time to freak out."

Clark yelled, "Its a perfect time to freak out, its one of the best times in history to freak out. Why the hell aren't you freaking out? And when did you start saying crap like freak out?"

Clark accidentally hit a lamp as he walked for the couch and it shattered and sent ceramic shards shooting into the wall, "And then there's that."

Martha looked to Jonathan, "Its time."

Jonathan nodded as Clark asked, "Time for what?"

Jonathan and Clark stood in the barn staring down a stairwell leading underneath it that Clark had never seen before due to the hidden door on the floor. Jonathan spoke in his attempt at a soothing tone, "Well I know we've never told you about your birth parents, but there's a reason for that. We honestly don't know much about them aside from the fact that they weren't from Earth."

"What?"

Jonathan nudged him toward the stairs to where his ship was kept. Clark was awestruck by the sight as Jonathan opened the hatch. He then handed Clark a small device, "A message in the ship said to give you this when the time was right."

Clark pressed the symbol on the device and a hologram appeared before him, "My name is Jor-El, I am your father. I trust that you have been cared for well. You are Kal-El, born on a distant world called Krypton. You were sent to this world to save you from the destruction of our home. You are the last known survivor of our race."

Jonathan and Clark stood shocked as Jor-El explained the death of his world and the reason Clark arrived alone. Afterwards Clark wandered out to the field to think as Jonathan went back to the house. As Clark walked he suddenly felt an odd sensation. He looked around and saw that he was floating several feet from the ground. He landed for a second then decided to try it again, he rose from the ground and began accelerating.

A smiled grew across his face, "Okay, this I can deal with."

He then shot off across the sky.

(To be continued)

I just thought I'd give my own version of Superman's origin in the DC universe

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By batkevin74

@joshmightbe said:

Several hours later Clark strolled into the Kent house looking both confused and a bit frightened as his father marched up to him, "Where exactly did you have to be that was more important than school?"

Clark looked up to him a bit shaken, "Apparently Brazil."

Jonathan glared, "You're not funny."

Clark excitedly yelled, "I'm not trying to be, I go to run for the bus and suddenly bam, Brazil."

Ha ha ha nice!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

@batkevin74: I was watching several episodes of Superman TAS yesterday due to my daughter's weird love for Darkseid and it got me in the mood to write something about Superman but I couldn't come up with anything for my Marvel Superman story.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

bump cause part 3 is up

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By batkevin74

@joshmightbe said:

bump cause part 3 is up

Yes

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

Check this out if you'd like

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SandMan_

LOL nice.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: My wife disagrees

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Nah my wife just keeps trying to get her into Girly things but she keeps going back to stuff like young justice and Superman reruns

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: I know Lexi freaking despises My Little Pony, and Yes she was technically named after Lex Luthor

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@joshmightbe: Cool. Nice retelling of the origin story. I wish I could run that fast it would make my holiday next year to New Zealand much easier <sigh>

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

So, um, yeah, I'm just getting around to this. Nice start, although I'm a little old-fashioned about Superman, and would prefer not to read, "hell, crap, etc." coming from the Kents. That's really a minor quibble though- the rest of the story is great.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Just trying to make them sound more like real people, I know the Kents are down to Earth farmer types but even the best people occasionally speak in a way that isn't polite or kind.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@joshmightbe: Yeah, I get that, but part of what makes the Golden Age characters so golden is that they didn't speak like that. <shrugs> I'm just old enough that it bugs me personally, but I don't reject the whole story because of it. I can "read around it," if that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong- Savage Dragon is my favorite comic, and I have no problem w/four letter language in that book, because that's the way the character started out. Superman, Batman and company did not start out that way, and I just prefer to see them retain that from their roots. DC is slowly letting it in though- mostly "damn" and "hell."

Just stating a personal preference. In no way suggesting you should change the way you write the character. This is your version. ;)