I'll be back, thread closing day.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Project_Worm
@CapFanboy: You started it... You couldn't have just taken my compliment, like a normal person?!
CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By CapFanboy

@Project_Worm said:

@CapFanboy: You started it... You couldn't have just taken my compliment, like a normal person?!

YOU CALLED GAH! FECKLESS BANTER! I CAN NEVER FORGIVE YOU!

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Project_Worm
@CapFanboy said:

@Project_Worm said:

YOU CALLED GAH! FECKLESS BANTER! I CAN NEVER FORGIVE YOU!

Alright, alright. Feckless might've been a bit harsh. How 'bout pointless or nonsensical banter? 
CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By CapFanboy

@Project_Worm: That's just straight up mean, yo.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Project_Worm
@CapFanboy: Fine, can we agree to simply calling it "banter"? Just a huge steaming pile of banter?  
'Cause by definition it's banter..
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By batkevin74

@Omniscience said:

So far, I put it at a three way tie. So @Irishlad you may very well have the deciding vote. Someone check my maths (yes, I am English) if I've got it right:

1. @batkevin74 (3 votes)

1. @Omniscience (3 votes)

1. @wildvine (3 votes)

2. @Time_Phantom (2 votes)

Okay world namely say we need some reading & voting please, if you get a chance to break the deadlock! So if you could, have a read of the entries and cast a vote. Thank you

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CapFanboy

@Project_Worm said:

@CapFanboy: Fine, can we agree to simply calling it "banter"? Just a huge steaming pile of banter? 'Cause by definition it's banter..

By definition, it's awesome. See:

awe·some

[aw-suhm] Show IPA

adjective1.inspiringawe:anawesomesight.

2.showingorcharacterizedbyawe.

3.Slang.veryimpressive:Thatnewwhiteconvertibleistotallyawesome.

4.Gah! . Gah! is most awesome thing in the history of awesome things.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Irishlad

By God another thread has been derailed xD Character Creation Contest #2 R.I.P I knew it well.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Project_Worm
@CapFanboy said:

@Project_Worm said:

@CapFanboy: Fine, can we agree to simply calling it "banter"? Just a huge steaming pile of banter? 'Cause by definition it's banter..

By definition, it's awesome. See:

awe·some

[aw-suhm] Show IPA

adjective 1. inspiring awe : an awesome sight.

2. showing or characterized by awe .

3. Slang . very impressive: That new white convertible is totally awesome.

4.Gah! . Gah! is most awesome thing in the history of awesome things.

I don't like admitting I'm wrong but, the proof is in the pudding. Gah! is in fact, a steaming pile of Awesome Banter
TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#61  Edited By TheCannon

I vote

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CapFanboy

@Project_Worm: Check-spouse. Because to me, they're more than a mate.

I'm lying.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Project_Worm
@CapFanboy said:

@Project_Worm: Check-spouse. Because to me, they're more than a mate.

I'm lying.

I have no idea, absolutely no idea what that meant...
VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By VyseCarma

Voting for

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#65  Edited By cbishop

@Omniscience said:

@cbishop said:

@Omniscience said:

@cbishop: This being a competition, people will only feel the need to comment about the submission they feel is the most worthy piece of literature.

This may be down to anything from the quality of the written work, to which author they prefer the most (seeing as this is not an ambiguous voting scheme).

At the end of the day, I agree that you deserve some feedback, but your apparent lack of it is down to the voters (for whatever reason) not perceiving your work to be the best.

You have a knack for stating the obvious.

I would think if folks want this to be more than a popularity vote, they would want to help each other improve, simply to help build a challenger that will help them up their own game. I am well aware of my own strengths and weaknesses as a writer, but I'd still like to hear others' comments - maybe they'll see something I haven't (I'm not perfectly aware, after all). I've put a couple extra restrictions on myself for these stories, that the contest doesn't, just to challenge myself. I don't expect my stories to be number one, but I do try to rank them objectively with the other entries, and I think they've been better than some (not all, but some). The fact that I've received no votes makes me wonder: do you folks really think my stuff is that bad? Or is it that I don't write in the fanfic forums, so you're just shutting me out? It would be nice to know either way. I'll keep posting, because I'm stubborn like that, but it would still be nice to know. More importantly, it would be nice to know why. ;)

...analysing ...analysing... analysing... analysing... analysing... analysing... analysing... analysing...

Extracting Relevant Information: "You have a knack for stating the obvious."

Conclusion:Then we are agreed. No need for the ensuing WALL OF TEXT.

If you think that is a "wall of text," then you really don't know me. ;P

Just because we agree doesn't mean there's nothing else to say. I asked for a response, which implies there will be conversation. If you didn't want that, feel free to keep quiet next time.

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Omniscience

I have enjoyed humouring you,

"If you didn't want that, [i.e no votes, and no feedback] feel free to keep quiet next time."

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#67  Edited By wildvine

As you recall at the start of this competition, I said you and Cap and Batkevin were all prize winners. I was not just being nice. Your story was well written and a great story, and if i could vote a runner up it would be you.

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Omniscience

@wildvine: But at the same time, not every one can be a winner all the time. Why should the people who have not submitted the best work also now get feedback and this and that? Heck, shouldn't every runner-up get feedback whilst were at it? This is a competition. We talk about the best. And nothing but. IMO.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

As you recall at the start of this competition, I said you and Cap and Batkevin were all prize winners. I was not just being nice. Your story was well written and a great story, and if i could vote a runner up it would be you.

I do recall that, and I appreciate it. My point though is out of 6 submissions, I would objectively rank mine as 4th. Those 2 that I'd rank behind me, I rank as last, because grammatically speaking, they are not well written. They're trying to sound deep, but wind up sounding stuffy. Generally speaking, they are not as entertaining as the top three.

Yet, when it comes to the voting, those bottom two are racking up votes at the same rate or ahead of those in the top three. That's fine, because people are going to vote for who they vote for. All I'm trying to figure out at the moment is what I'm dealing with here. Am I dealing with voters who just vote for screen names they know, regardless of story content, or are voters really finding my stories to be so bad, that they don't even comment on it, much less vote for it?

I don't mind being last in the voting. I know I write well. Whether it's entertaining or not is the readers' call. What baffles me here is that in this type of writing environment, writers usually want to help each other with friendly tips and suggestions, just to up everyone's game overall. I guess I came into this series of contests thinking it would be more friendly critiques, and less ego stroking.

@Omniscience said:

@wildvine: But at the same time, not every one can be a winner all the time. Why should the people who have not submitted the best work also now get feedback and this and that? Heck, shouldn't every runner-up get feedback whilst were at it? This is a competition. We talk about the best. And nothing but. IMO.

That is exactly my point: Yes, everyone should get feedback in this competition. That doesn't mean you're making everyone a winner, it means you're telling them what's good about their story, and what needs improvement. True, this is a competition, but if competition is only about winning for you, how sad.

A true competitor wants to compete against the best, in order to make himself better. If you're competing against those you know you can beat, it'll stop being fun for you. So you either look for better competition, or you make helpful suggestions to those competing against you, so that they up their game, so that you can up yours. Otherwise, you don't progress.

As an example, when I was in middle school, I ran long distance, in cross country and track. I was the best long distance runner on the team, by far. I cheered and encouraged my teammates, but I far outshined them. However, when I got to my high school, which drew students from multiple middle schools in the area, I found out just how good I wasn't. In a top 7 varsity, I floated between 7th on the varsity, and top of the junior varsity. Me and the guy who were continuously switching places pushed each other to be better, and those ahead of us pushed us harder still, drawing out of us reserves we didn't know we had. As you say, though, not everyone can be a winner, and that was certainly true in running. The top two guys were much better than the other 5 in varsity, and the way they continued to get better was to push each other, and to continually strive to beat a certain time. The rest of us pushed those we were close to, and strove to beat our best times. In the end, you find your personal victories in beating your best time. You cheer those better than you, and rejoice in their personal victories. You offer what help you can to those below you, so that they don't lose heart, and so they might come along and push you later. It's called good sportsmanship.

If this competition is only about getting the most votes for you, frankly, that's stupid. The only thing you get for winning is getting to pick the subject for the next competition. That's not the point of the competition. The point is to gather writers together, and write cool scenes. Coo over the good ones - that's all well and good. But offer solid critique to those who aren't as good. If you just want to collect votes, then what are you getting out of this?

I'm here to shake the dust off the writing skills. I'd objectively rank my writing as middle of the group, the past two competitions. The couple who have commented at all on my stories, I would qualify their stories as some of the ones that are better than mine, the past two competitions. So I tell them what I like about their stories. The others, I tell them what I think needs work. If I don't comment, it's because I haven't quite placed my finger on what I think the problem is. I'm just asking for the same in return.

I don't mind being last in the votes. The voting is clearly going by who you know, not who writes best, and I know very few onsite - none of them read the fanfic forum, that I know of. I'd rather have a bunch of good writers ahead of me, because I know how to push myself to measure up. But suggestions from the group make it more worth doing. Again, it's just good sportsmanship.

And hey - this? This is still only about half a "wall of words." ;)

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By wildvine

I voted for the one i liked best. There were no rules as to how or why one should vote. If i were voting for a screen name it would be Capfanboy. If other people want to vote for the best one written that is their business. I voted for the one i liked best. As far as why you did not get more votes i couldn't say, but i'm sure you would if we had more voters, simply do to the variety of stories presented here.

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Omniscience

Good grief. You are not doing yourself a justice here. What I can put to you irrevocably in a sentence, you can not do in an essay. Quit now, cbishop, whilst you have some miniscule part of your integrity left. I will school you no further. I just don't have the heart.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

I voted for the one i liked best. There were no rules as to how or why one should vote. If i were voting for a screen name it would be Capfanboy. If other people want to vote for the best one written that is their business. I voted for the one i liked best. As far as why you did not get more votes i couldn't say, but i'm sure you would if we had more voters, simply do to the variety of stories presented here.

I'm not calling your vote into question, or even why you voted. I was speculating generally on why people are voting like they are. I'm just saying I'd like feedback, not an explanation why someone didn't vote for me. I could care less about the vote.

@Omniscience said:

Good grief. You are not doing yourself a justice here. What I can put to you irrevocably in a sentence, you can not do in an essay. Quit now, cbishop, whilst you have some miniscule part of your integrity left. I will school you no further. I just don't have the heart.

Dude, you're kind of pompous. You haven't put anything to me "irrevocably in a sentence." And I believe the word you were looking for was "dignity," not "integrity." I assure you both are quite intact. I may have lowered your opinion of me, by having something to say, but I assure you my integrity and dignity are just fine. You couldn't school me on your best day.

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Omniscience

You haven't put anything to me "irrevocably in a sentence."

Example:

"If you didn't want that, [i.e no votes, and no feedback] feel free to keep quiet next time."

Case:

And I believe the word you were looking for was "dignity," not "integrity." I assure you both are quite intact.

Counter Example:

That is exactly my point: Yes, everyone should get feedback in this competition. That doesn't mean you're making everyone a winner, it means you're telling them what's good about their story, and what needs improvement. True, this is a competition, but if competition is only about winning for you, how sad.

A true competitor wants to compete against the best, in order to make himself better. If you're competing against those you know you can beat, it'll stop being fun for you. So you either look for better competition, or you make helpful suggestions to those competing against you, so that they up their game, so that you can up yours. Otherwise, you don't progress.

As an example, when I was in middle school, I ran long distance, in cross country and track. I was the best long distance runner on the team, by far. I cheered and encouraged my teammates, but I far outshined them. However, when I got to my high school, which drew students from multiple middle schools in the area, I found out just how good I wasn't. In a top 7 varsity, I floated between 7th on the varsity, and top of the junior varsity. Me and the guy who were continuously switching places pushed each other to be better, and those ahead of us pushed us harder still, drawing out of us reserves we didn't know we had. As you say, though, not everyone can be a winner, and that was certainly true in running. The top two guys were much better than the other 5 in varsity, and the way they continued to get better was to push each other, and to continually strive to beat a certain time. The rest of us pushed those we were close to, and strove to beat our best times. In the end, you find your personal victories in beating your best time. You cheer those better than you, and rejoice in their personal victories. You offer what help you can to those below you, so that they don't lose heart, and so they might come along and push you later. It's called good sportsmanship.

If this competition is only about getting the most votes for you, frankly, that's stupid. The only thing you get for winning is getting to pick the subject for the next competition. That's not the point of the competition. The point is to gather writers together, and write cool scenes. Coo over the good ones - that's all well and good. But offer solid critique to those who aren't as good. If you just want to collect votes, then what are you getting out of this?

I'm here to shake the dust off the writing skills. I'd objectively rank my writing as middle of the group, the past two competitions. The couple who have commented at all on my stories, I would qualify their stories as some of the ones that are better than mine, the past two competitions. So I tell them what I like about their stories. The others, I tell them what I think needs work. If I don't comment, it's because I haven't quite placed my finger on what I think the problem is. I'm just asking for the same in return.

I don't mind being last in the votes. The voting is clearly going by who you know, not who writes best, and I know very few onsite - none of them read the fanfic forum, that I know of. I'd rather have a bunch of good writers ahead of me, because I know how to push myself to measure up. But suggestions from the group make it more worth doing. Again, it's just good sportsmanship.

And hey - this? This is still only about half a "wall of words." ;)

Case:

You couldn't school me on your best day.

Example:

Perhaps, through the course of this 'conversation', you will see why you still have no votes, and no feedback.

Should I really perceive you so naive? Please, refer to my PM, because it is unsightly having all this nonsense on a Voting Thread.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By cbishop

@Omniscience said:

Example:

This wasn't referring to "no votes and no feedback." It was referring to you making a comment, and expecting no comment in return - in fact, deriding me for making a comment in return. If you don't want a return comment, then you shouldn't have said anything to begin with. I don't mind your comments, I mind your arrogance.

@Omniscience said:

Example:

Perhaps, through the course of this 'conversation', you will see why you still have no votes, and no feedback.

Should I really perceive you so naive? Please, refer to my PM, because it is unsightly having all this nonsense on a Voting Thread.

What is it about you that expects to make a public comment, but not receive a public reply? Again: if you don't want a return comment, then don't comment to begin with. I asked for feedback on my writing, not pretentious arrogance.

And just to set the record straight, I have received feedback since my original request, both here and in PM. ...You would think omniscience would know that. Hm.

Now, as you've sent me a PM as well, I'd be more than happy to let this end it here on the thread. I agree (again) that this isn't the place for it, but I reserve the right to defend myself wherever the need arises.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CapFanboy

@wildvine said:

N'aww, really? :D

@cbishop: @Omniscience: Now now fellas, let's not compare sizes on a comics site. Can I trust you both to end this argument and put away your pistols before someone dies in the crossfire?

NWfanboy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NWfanboy77

Capfanboy, I just liked it the best.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By wildvine

For real. : )

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By CapFanboy

@NWfanboy77 said:

Capfanboy, I just liked it the best.

Thank you NWfanboy77. Do you have something shorter I can call you?

@wildvine said:

For real. : )

N'aww!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cbishop

@CapFanboy said:

@cbishop: @Omniscience: Now now fellas, let's not compare sizes on a comics site. Can I trust you both to end this argument and put away your pistols before someone dies in the crossfire?

I never compare sizes. Talk about focusing on the minutiae. O.o ...wait, what? ;)

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By CapFanboy

@Irishlad said:

By God another thread has been derailed xD Character Creation Contest #2 R.I.P I knew it well.

Shouldn't have invited me...probably should ban me too xD

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By CapFanboy

@cbishop said:

@CapFanboy said:

I never compare sizes. Talk about focusing on the minutiae. O.o ...wait, what? ;)

Haha xD

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By cbishop

@CapFanboy: ;)

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Omniscience

@CapFanboy

Word.

Oh lord.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By cbishop

@Omniscience said:

@cbishop

Oh lord.

You don't have to call me that. ;)

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

So has everyone voted?

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

So has everyone voted?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#87  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@4donkeyjohnson said:

So has everyone voted?

I think I'm going to upstain from voting this round, but I will vote next time...

so if that is everyone we can think of that will vote...

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By cbishop

@The Poet said:

@4donkeyjohnson said:

So has everyone voted?

I think I'm going to upstain from voting this round, but I will vote next time...

so if that is everyone we can think of that will vote...

also @Irishlad: There's a tie between Batkevin74 & wildvine - someone has to vote.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By batkevin74

we need some help (if you can spare some time for a small voting thingy) We have a deadlock and need it broken (or possibly added to) Have a peruse of the entries and please vote for one of them, and then come play in round 3 :)

Thanks

poze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By poze

@batkevin74: well I think I will vote yours or im not sure yet

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By wildvine

I have tied with Batkevin? How cool is that?

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Omniscience

@wildvine: It is very cool. Does batkevin win a lot?

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By wildvine

@Omniscience said:

No, this is just our second contest. Its cool cause Batkevin is a killer writer and i'm still new. I figured i would only get one or two votes, but here i am in a tie.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@Omniscience said:

No, this is just our second contest. Its cool cause Batkevin is a killer writer and i'm still new. I figured i would only get one or two votes, but here i am in a tie.

You both wrote excellent scenes, new or not. I am quite curious to see how the final vote comes out. :)

Avatar image for annamariedarkholme
AnnaMarieDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first choice is CapFanboy

My second choice is wildvine

poze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By poze

well I would say first choice and second

I think I could never win in one of theose contests but I think I'll be part for the next one

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By batkevin74

Could you help in a tie breaker? We need your discerning eye to have a perusal over some Fan-fics and choose one to either break the deadlock or possibly add to it, depending on which of the entries you think is best. If you could spare a few moments and have a look that'd be awesome. Thanks

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By wildvine

Or Or Somebody? Hello?

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By lykopis

Okay --- I have read all of the stories (while trick of treating with my little cousin) and oh my --- each and every single one of them are great. I had been hoping one would be easy to pick, but no --- you all had to be fantastic writers which is so ANNOYING because people like me are put in such a difficult position.

I did read through this thread and everyone's comments have some merit. Considering this is a new endeavor, there are bound to be some quirks and quarks that should be aired and addressed. Maybe require the voters to list each story from one to six (in this instance) according to what they liked?

Anyhoooooo -- sorry for not having participated before, I had actually thought this was restricted to only those who submitted (stupid of me, lol) but also only from people who have submitted fanfiction to the site. We need to get this out there -- maybe pin it temporarily for a few days in General Discussion when the date for closing the contest looms near?

Since I am required to pick one (and I really mean this, each of the submissions are stellar) I will choose

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#100  Edited By Irishlad

It still looks like you too are tied,I'm prepared to choose who wins but I'd like to give some late voters a chance since it's like choosing between two masterpieces which is always tough xD. I'd like to wait until 12 o clock Halloween night in America since it's 12 here in Ireland I don't think it'd be fair if I ended it now.

Just out of curiousity what time is it in America?