• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: So you ARE! I foiled you, now you must enter.

#52 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram:

...the Gates of Hell?

...the Gates of Heaven?

...the Gates of CHuck E Cheese?

...the Gates of Buckingham Palace....?

#53 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: My contest could be described as the Gates of Heaven. So yeah that one.

#54 Edited by TommytheHitman (3291 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait so who decides who wins the contest?

#55 Edited by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio
#56 Posted by gumflabica (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait so who decides who wins the contest?

so this is how it works right?

after may 30th, the last day for submissions, a voting thread is created and people pick their winner. the person with the most votes wins. right?

and also, pyrogram, will you be submitting a fan-fic?

#57 Posted by TommytheHitman (3291 posts) - - Show Bio

@gumflabica: I'll vote for someone else. I didn't really create the character I just wrote a story instead. FAIL!

#58 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio
#59 Posted by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep writing fiction for these contests but my lack of a working computer (using library computer now) makes it so that I can never post it on the site. Maybe when I finally ante up and buy a new computer I might post my far too late entries. That is if anyone would be interested in reading them.

#60 Posted by CapFanboy (5332 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: You know I haven't entered one of these for like....5 months right?

#61 Edited by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio
#62 Posted by CapFanboy (5332 posts) - - Show Bio
#63 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio
#64 Posted by dngn4774 (3219 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I'm going to start writing now. It should be up in two or three hours.

#65 Posted by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Difference being

you=talent

me=none.

:)

Lookee here - don't try with this "I suck" nonsense, like you're some unknown to this contest. We all know you can write, and it's time for you to get your butt in here and lay a thousand words down (although, Pyro: 1,000? Really? The longer ones get really tedious, really quick). Sheesh, you and @wildvine...

#67 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop:

But Daaaaaaad! **sulky face**

#68 Posted by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@cbishop:

But Daaaaaaad! **sulky face**

Don't make me get out the belt.

#69 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#70 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

@lykopis said:

Difference being

you=talent

me=none.

Lookee here - don't try with this "I suck" nonsense, like you're some unknown to this contest. We all know you can write, and it's time for you to get your butt in here and lay a thousand words down (although, Pyro: 1,000? Really? The longer ones get really tedious, really quick). Sheesh, you and @wildvine...

If you cannot put together 1000 words in two weeks feel free to not enter :P 1000 words is child's play.

#71 Edited by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3768 posts) - - Show Bio

”Dude, I totally need to sleep...”

7 o` clock. It was time to wake up, and her alarm clock made sure of it. It ringed, and the cacophonic music it made, forced her eye lids to open. Barely. She slammed the clock to quiet it down. She closed her eyes again. She layed on her bed for a few minutes, knew that she had to rise from her comfy, yet extremely unhygienic sheets, soon. She forgot to.

After 4 minutes, the clock rang again. She slammed it again.

This was repeated for 5 times until she rose extremely slowly, while at the same time cursing the necessary snooze alarm.

She dragged her (currently) barely alive, yellow Homo Sapiens Sapiens-like body to the bathroom and emptied six of her nine bladders.

She rinced her face with icy water to wake up.

Then she went to the kitchen. Made a smoothy of her toe nails, cat hair, moldy yogurt, bones and fresh Passion fruit (she put that incredient in to the blender by accident). She drank it, was repulsed by the fruits taste but swallowed it nonetheless.

She expressed her disgust. ”Ghaahg!” Then she rinced her mouth with water, and drank tainted ape blood to get rid of the awful taste.

She brushed her teeth.

She took of her turquoise night gown. She doesn`t need a bra, because she has extremely small breasts, so she didn`t put them on. Then she put on her panties, stockings, socks, jeans, contact lenses, long sleeved woolen shirt, woolen trousers, warm gloves and full body armor with a hood that disguises her face completely (even she has no idea why she wears it). Then her jacket and boots. She stepped outside of her okay flat.

It was a cold (-5), grey day. It was raining very wet snow. She cursed again, for 11 whole minutes. She hates the soggy kind of snow.

She walked on and after 10 minutes she arrived to the city center, where a few silent beings (four humanoids, three unicorns and seven internet trolls) were minding their own business. A familiar (to her) figure was sitting in the bench next to the water fountain that portrayed Wally West, the Third Flash (Who had once saved the world of this story from certain doom. But you haven`t read that story. I`m pretty sure nobody has.).

The figure said: ”Hello to you Royranain. Good mo-”

The robot saw the humanoids facial expression with it`s night vision. It wasn`t a delighted expression. Hence the change in his dialogue.

”I mean, adjectiveless morning.”

Royranain slunk to the bench, and uttered to her robotic friend.

”Dude, I totally need to sleep...”

”Those bags beneath your eyes do imply that you do.”

”Quit being a smartass,.”

”You know I can`t, due to my programming.” The robot said with no emotion in its voice at all. Which doesn`t mean that it would be impossible, to notice the sarcastic tone that it placed atop its words.

”Shuddup.” She said, and placed a tired tone atop of her words.”You know, last night, I bet I didn`t even get an hour of...YAAAAAAWN...sleep...”

”Do you want the traditional pick-me-up?”Asked Serial number 45686805345.

”Sure.”

The robot pointed it`s hand to Royranains direction.

ZAP!!!!!

”Tha-tha-that-thanks!” Stuttered Roy.

”You`re welcome carbon based lifeform.”

Three minutes passed.

”It`s wearing off...” Roy muttered.

”Too bad.” Said Serial number.

She didn`t reply

There started to be more silent beings walking around the square (surrounded by wooden cottages that looked exactly the same).

”I saw a dream last night.” Said the robot.

”Whut was it about this time...?” She said, her eyes closed.

”Everyone on this square except for you shall die after a few minutes.”

”Okay then. It was nice knowing you.”She said.

”I`m serious.”

”Be whoever you like to be.”

For a minute, it was quiet.

”Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...I`m so qrhhnhdfbjvnmffjkfjfn tired!”

”I wonder if I have feelings...I sometimes feel that I do. But, if I do have them, I should be panicking right now. Shocked at the very least. But...maybe I don`t feel those emotions.” The robot pondered.

”Yeah...Maybe...” She said, not really caring what the hell the metallic lifeform was saying.

She forced herself to rise up, scretched and uttered:

”Well, of to work, to the old pickle jar factory.”

”I doubt it.”

Roy was going to throw a smart quip, when suddenly...

Was it really-

Yes...it was. A sand storm was coming closer and closer to the village.

”SANDSTORM!!!!”She (and someone else, in the distance) yelled.

Everyone rushed inside the cottages.

”Wont help.” Said 45686805345.

”Will you cut that crap out! Let`s go inside!”

The storm was 15 miles away.

”It would help, if that would be a sandstorm. But it`s actually an army constisting of 99999999999999999 flying titanium Minotaurus`s. We`re so Goddamn doomed.”

Roy listened to the robot, which stood up and took it`s seven laser guns to its seven hands, and said, almost half asleep.

”...”

Then she said.

”Please dude...don`t say that. If you say that, I...I need to get you some help...because you really believe that the storm there, consists of mythical creatures...”

”What I described to you isn`t all that impossible in a universe where anything is possible.”

The bot handed Roy a portable telescope.

”Why should I look at a mere sand storm?” She asked, trying to hide the fact that she was afraid to look at this particular mere sandstorm, that might not be a mere sandstorm at all.

The droid gazed a long, irritated look at her.

Roy un-portabled the telescope, and looked trough the lens.

She saw various Flying Minotaurus`s purely consisting of titanium. They were 10 miles away.

”OHMYHOLYGODTHISAIN`TTRUE!!!!!!”

”Such multitasking. You staggered and dropped the telescope, while screaming that particular word.”

”For chrissakes shut up and hand me a rifle!!!”

”I`m using all of my arms.”

Rory grabbed a rifle from the robots back.

She breathed heavily.

She was more scared than she had ever been before. She felt awkward to ask it, but she knew she had to.

”Why...why are we holding these?”

”We`ll try to destroy as many of those as possible. The less there are, the less lifes they can destroy. Of course, a few isn`t much, but it`s better than nothing.”

”A-(snif)aha...” She said, sobbing, tears flowing down her cheeks. Mucus down her nose.

”Goodbye Roy. I enjoyed your refreshingly nettling persona.”

”Ghuh...bhaaah...”

The robot thought: Lack of sleep makes her a very emotional person, apparently.

I have to save her. After all, she is my only friend who is still alive. I`d like to keep her that way.

But how?

The heroic robot remembered something it hadn`t thought about in years. According to the myths, Flying titanium Minotaurus`s had a code of honor, to never kill anyone who was sleeping. The bot, unfortunately, cannot sleep, or even load it`s batteries in sleep like manner. But...then again, it didn`t really care. What it cared about was, as noted previously, saving Roys life.

The robot decided to do so by playing a fitting, peaceful song via its iPod.

While listening to it, Roy started to fall asleep.

”Huh...?” She muttered askingly.

After listening to it for 26 seconds, she was snoring.

The horrifying horde zoomed towards the silently standing robot. The army was a hunred meters away. It aimed the guns at them, and started firing. Dozens of anthropomorphic creatures soon noticed that they had large holes in them. After these realisations, they kicked the buckets.

In less than half a minute, they reached the outer cottages that surrounded the square. In a minute, the cottages were toothpicks and sawdust. The lone protagonist made of steel-copper uttered its last words, while still firing the guns.

”Holy motherfu-”

GRABUNZASHANKLE-CLANK!!!!

Then it was gone.

The army goed on, destroying the square (including the water fountain). Then the village (14 persons ( Roy included )were sleeping, and they were all spared, even if it was very difficult to do). Then the other village that was close to it. Then the city that was close to it. They didn`t know why they did that, but they just did.

They almost completely ignored (they noticed her, then ignored her) Roys silent figure. And even if the decibels and tremors around her were magnificent, she hadn`t awoken. That tired she was.

14 hours passed. She woke up. Opened her eyes. Layed there. The time was 20 o` clock now. She looked around her. These are the words she uttered.

”...”

”No...”

”Everything...”

”Every single thing...”

”Serial number 45686805345...He saved me...”

After 20 minutes, she spoke again.

”Why do I feel so guilty?”

”...”

”Must be that survivors quilt I read about...”

”My home is gone...”

There she layed, on the ground, in her heavy costume. Thinking what to do next. Then she started to cry again. She cried for fife minutes. Then she walked away from the spot. She joined the 13 other survivors. They banded together, and went on their way to find food, shelter, liquids, more people and some kind of sense in the world. They found very little of all of that, and died after 10 years, in a world almost completely ravaged by those bloody Minotaurus dudes and dames.

And when the eternal sleep started to come for Roy, she hoped it would mean precisely that. Eternal sleep.

The end.

#72 Edited by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3768 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@cbishop said:

@lykopis said:

Difference being

you=talent

me=none.

If you cannot put together 1000 words in two weeks feel free to not enter :P 1000 words is child's play.

True. Mines got 1649.

#73 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Good man, nice story long and awesome! Very funny also in some places xD

#74 Posted by gumflabica (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@pyrogram:

Difference being

you=talent

me=none.

talent is just a shortcut. makes things easier. training and practice can get you anywhere that talent can, and even further. look at me, im not the greatest writer ever, but i at least hope to be good at it. and i try to train myself to be better at it. talent will get you there quicker, but training can get you further.

yay! motivational! dont do drugs kids! unless the cool kids are doing them! man, dont you want to be like the cool kids!

#75 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

talent is just a shortcut. makes things easier. training and practice can get you anywhere that talent can, and even further. look at me, im not the greatest writer ever, but i at least hope to be good at it. and i try to train myself to be better at it. talent will get you there quicker, but training can get you further.

yay! motivational! dont do drugs kids! unless the cool kids are doing them! man, dont you want to be like the cool kids!

Lyko's just being Lyko, she knows she has the ability, let her make excuses :P

#76 Posted by Irishlad (587 posts) - - Show Bio

Figured I'd write this since I'm in the writing mood at the moment.

Whispers of Bats

It's incredible how quickly word spreads in a city full of secrets.

I know what your thinking, this is the part where I introduce myself and you clap, hoot and holler but in truth I don't know my own name.

If you would like something to identify me by however then perhaps you can identify me by the clothing I wear almost every night.

White hood, my crucifix laced black armor, armor induced brown gloves or my simple metallic shoes.

I don't mind at all really since all I know is what the bats tell me, and the bats tell me one name Phillip Materazzi.

Just like most stories mine started on the rooftops of the highest building I could find in the city, I still remember the cool breeze that cut across me, I can still feel the goosebumps.

In a quick swoop I descended through the wind that carried me through the night and towards an apartment on Seastreet Avenue, St. Marks where he lay snoring and whaling in his sleep.

I remember thinking back then how he could sleep so still, how he could sleep at all knowing what he knew, what I knew, what the bats knew.

I flicked out my dagger from my sleeve and made my way through his bombshell of a room that consisted of a stench of alcohol, a decoration of well made cocaine and a golden chandelier that creaked and swayed from side to side ready to fall at any moment as it hung above his body by a tiny little thread.

I didn't bother to ask him the question of why in fear he might jump up, since the bats hate the squeals as do I plus I did not want the others interfering in my private affairs.

But as the luck of the pitch dark night would have it, the sandman's hourglass ended as his alarm clock rung and he woke up with a 9.24 calibre handgun at the ready with fully loaded ammunition.

"Who the hell are you?" he yelped with a twitching gaze that pulled up his cheek every two seonds and a trigger happy finger that was ready to pounce at any second as the gun pointed directly at the top of my body.

I didn't respond as I threw my dagger into the floorboard on the ground and raised my hands as I listened closely to the bats as they began to circulate around Materazzi.

"I'll shoot I sware, I'll do it don't move" he said with a failed attempt at confidence as his arms and legs shivered and knocked in fear but as I soon found out, it does not take a confident man to shoot a gun. In fact it's the opposite.

His gunfire blazed through my hood, cut right through the woolen cloth and went through the window outside.

"Holy s**t you have no head!" he yelled with a shocked look written across his face as my hood flopped down to reveal the black smoke that takes its place. The shards of glass began to sprinkle and shatter on the ground.

The crash of the glass drove the bats insane as they shifted and swerved with a screech every second. The swung all around him and with it they carried the the chants and whispers of my memories. The whispers of how she died, the whisper of how I lost my head and the whispers of why he had to die.

"NO!" He attempted to shift his way through the chants that bickered and consumed his ear drums.

He flung his gun at my chest, I let it fall to the ground as I stood and listened.

The cuts from the bats claws and the never ending cycle of information made his eyes shudder in guilt.

He eventually smashed his chin off the ground and grasped my hand as the blood began to slowly trickle out from his nose as if he wanted to tell me something.

"remember me please" he groaned as he gasped for his very last breath.

In a heat of the moment and the cold of the night for what ever reason my knees dragged me down to the ground and into the pool of blood he lay in.

The red splashed over my white hooded outfit and his blood lunged towards me as if to say it was the color that suited me.

"He's dead" one bat hissed to interrupt a very prolonged silence throughout the night.

"F...B....I" another whispered in return.

"No" I whispered back in dismay.

I moved my finger along the engraving that said "Fidelity, Bravery and Integrity" something he was left without on that night.

I tried to remember why I was hunting him but I'd no head and with it no mind or memories, all I could rely on were the whispers of bats. I wish I could see his face even a little bit just so I could tell if he was innocent if it evens was Philip Materazzi. "Was he innocent?" I pondered.

"Get up" the bats hailed and my feet suddenly followed.

As my feet followed the whispers they began to twist.

One bat whispered to me "He chopped off your head, killed her and lied until his very death as a drug dealer"

Another whispered "He was your best friend who told nothing but the truth, tried to save you and was an informer"

I left the scene with the idea of he was an evil man but the bats whisper about that scenario every night asking the same question and they still haven't found the answer nor have I.

Phillip Materazzi...that is the one name I know and it is the one that will haunt me even when the bats stop whispering.

I'd cry if I could, I'd be angry if I had an emotion to spare but one thing is for certain,

I can only rely on the whispers of the bats.

#77 Edited by filthythebear (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought I'd leave this for a few days and come back for a look when a few more were up. I think the best thing is just how distinct the styles are. It'd be boring if they were all similar in story and style but out of this one pic we've all come up with something unique. I gotta be honest, I'm an aspiring writer and am currently pushing my first novel with publishers, (previously got called in for a meeting with the head of CYA at Random House and got this close, grrrrrrr) but I am a terrible reader in that I get put off books really easy. Its usually because of cliches, like someone calling a villain Doomicus Maximus or something like that. However, the varying styles is keeping me reading. Now I just want to see MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I know I sound like a hypocrite because there are some nasty little cliches in my story, but hey...it was midnight and I was running on a blueberry muffin and a spoon full of Sweetened Condensed Milk.

P.P.S. That isn't improper use of a proper noun. Sweetened Condensed Milk deserves to have capital letters. Its that AWESOME!

Oh and lykopis was right as can be! Training! I got up at 4am for 5 years before my day job, to write for a couple of hours each day and it really helped. Out of that 5 years I created this terrible 347,000 word train wreck that will never see the light of day. I obviously had no idea of word counts, much less story structure and things like that. It was a great learning experience though, and writers workshops really helped.

#78 Edited by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@cbishop said:

...(although, Pyro: 1,000? Really? The longer ones get really tedious, really quick). Sheesh,..

I wasn't saying I couldn't do it. I'm saying it gets tedious. Past months have shown that when the max word count is 1,000+ words, it drags everything out. Only a couple use the whole word count, and everyone else is way under. And it seems like most voters don't want to read an entry "that long." That's just my opinion though, and it was an off the cuff remark. The word count is 1,000 - it's cool. Honestly, I don't know what to do with that armored guy lol.

#79 Posted by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@cbishop said:

...(although, Pyro: 1,000? Really? The longer ones get really tedious, really quick). Sheesh,..

I wasn't saying I couldn't do it. I'm saying it gets tedious. Past months have shown that when the max word count is 1,000+ words, it drags everything out. Only a couple use the whole word count, and everyone else is way under. And it seems like most voters don't want to read an entry "that long." That's just my opinion though, and it was an off the cuff remark. The word count is 1,000 - it's cool. Honestly, I don't know what to do with that armored guy lol.

#80 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

@filthythebear: I write for a hours every-day in the RPG section for fun bro, Welcome to the forum! :)

#81 Posted by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: I get you mate! :) I mean people complain when the world limit is low, so just make it high and then hopefully people are happy! 1000 words just forces people to HOPEFULLY be creative and not drag out ( but it may ) and the upper 2000 limit allows the highly created to create.

#82 Posted by dngn4774 (3219 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I'm already at 1700 words is it ok if I go up to 2200?

#83 Posted by dngn4774 (3219 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a little long but here's my entry:

DON’T CALL HIM A HERO

Yorkshire, United Kingdom; 2062

Nature’s sorrow drenched upon me, and the sky was now as dim as my soul. The love of my life was stolen from me; she was now the captive of a broken man who sought to mold the world in the shape of his twisted ambitions. As I pondered how things could have ended this poorly a collection of ravens circled above my head. The flock flew away from the stormclouds dropping a feather into the palm of my hand. Small particles of hydroreactive nanites arose from the feather leaving the words: Don’t do this!--Crane. I should have taken my mentor’s advice but my passions clouded my judgment. Shortly before my departure I made it clear to my colleagues that this was my fight, not the Brotherhood’s. My adversaries anticipated my surrender, they expected me to sacrifices myself for her like any hero would do, but Emilia didn’t need a hero—she needed an assassin!

I guess this story makes the most sense if I start with the basics. My name is Alec Shaw and I kill people. I’m not a serial murderer or a sociopath; at least I don’t believe I am. I kill for my order because they would kill for me; it’s as simple as that. As an orphan on the streets of Detroit I was bounced through the child care system like a pinball. My countless encounters with broken homes made me lose any sense of hope for humanity, but that all changed when I met her. I first met Emilia when I was 11 years old after she burned my abusive foster parents alive. She was only 9 at this time but I guess that girls have a habit of maturing faster than boys. She was terrifying at first but she explained that she was once alone too. She promised me that if I came with her I would never be alone again. After I helped her get rid of the bodies she brought me into the Assassins’ Order. The Brotherhood gave me the family that I always desired. The assassins provided a path for my life and Emilia gave it a purpose. As time passed both my skills and my renown grew exponentially. I became known as the hero of the Brotherhood after I terminated the last branch of the Templars. If only I knew what dangers where approaching perhaps more lives could have been saved.

After a few years passed, a recent boom in technology presented the Brotherhood with an even greater threat. Shaun Hastings, a legendary member of the Assassins, had began develop new methods to recreate the first civilization’s pieces of Eden. Once the Order demanded him to end his research, he and several other assassins formed a separatist sect called the Kenways, named after the Brotherhood’s most infamous traitor. The Kenways and the Order have been fighting one another ever since.

In the recent weeks we discovered that the Kenways have finished building a machine that can duplicate the relics of the first civilization. It operates as an animus but apparently kills the user. Some reports even detail that Hastings has resorted to using his own lieutenants as fuel for his machine. Despite Rebecca Crane’s best wishes, she reluctantly approved an order for Hastings’ assassination. Emilia and four other master assassins were commissioned for the contract. I was shocked when I heard the old man’s voice on my phone, he didn’t just survive the attack, he managed to capture the assassins. That was when he pitched his offer to me; if I took her seat in the animus he would spare her life in return. I instantly complied with the lunatic’s request and headed for the rendezvous.

I tracked the signal Hastings left to an abandoned tower in Yorkshire. Ironically, it used to be one of Abstergo Industries many research & development centers. After the last group of templars fell Abstergo was dissolved into dozens of smaller corporations. This property was bought by the Fawkes group, as a shell company for that the Kenways could use to launder money. It was a fitting venue to end this, once and for all.

I pulled up on my motorcycle a few blocks away to gear up before the raid. Though I came alone I made sure I was heavily armed. There was no way of knowing if Emilia was still alive and even if she was, I couldn’t trust the word of a traitor. The retinal sensors in my contacts provided me with an X-ray of the building. Hastings office was covered in blue static waves; this wasn’t surprising considering that he designed over half of the assassin’s tech. He and Em had to be on the top floor and the only thing that separated us where about 12 stories and 35 guards.

I didn’t bother with subterfuge, after all Shaun might have been a traitor but he was still a trained assassin. The senses can dull a little over the years but the training never goes away. I made my entrance by crashing my motorcycle through the front door and exploding the gas tank with a well placed shot. I slowly walked through the lobby to examine the damage, five down, 31 to go.

As I approached the elevator, a familiar face appeared on the blue screen. “Emilia!” I shouted in desperation, instantly regretting my outburst of affection.

“Alec don’t come up! It’s a tr”-- Hastings interrupted our reunion by quickly gagging her mouth.

“Well that’s enough of that, I’ve held up my end of the bargain do you care to hold up yours?” He asked. The camera zoomed out revealing that Emilia was restrained to the animus chair. I holstered my pistols and calmly walked into the elevator. Hastings grimaced; he enjoyed watching me think over my next move. Before I ascended to the Hastings’ office, the elevator stopped a few floors below. Shaun’s face appeared on the monitor inside of the elevator. “On second thought, I don’t mind if you let off some steam before you get her. Deep down I’m a romantic at heart and I find this little love story you have with Emilia to be entertaining. I guess to some extent I’m actually rooting for you which is why I prepared a little surprise for you.” He chuckled before opening the doors of the elevator. Over two dozen guards stood in the hallway, they took their stances and had their weapons drawn. “I’ll leave the rest to you --and Shaw-- don’t disappoint me.”

Despite their numbers, I still had one advantage left. They needed me alive and I had the luxury of using lethal weapons. Still, if even one of those tranq darts made contact through my armor I might as well be dead. I had fractions of seconds to react before they attacked. I drew my pistols and emptied 12 rounds into the dart gunners first. I fired another to rounds before I was tackled to the ground by one of the guards; the blitz knocked my pistols away from me. I countered the incoming strike by stabbing one of my hidden blades through his chest, then I tossed the impaled guard into two other henchmen. I drew both of my blades as the remaining guards pulled out stun batons. My hidden blades were different than most of the other assassins. The blade on my left hand operated like a crossbow which fired steel projectile bolts and the blade on my right was a four foot sword that heated up to 450 degrees. I fired two bolts into the guards on the floor sliced through another five of the men as if they were butter. The remaining sentries connected their stun batons together, each forming an electric staff. They fought well, and couple of them even managed to land a few hits, but they were outmatched.

After I picked up my pistols I headed up the staircase to find a second wave of bodyguards. There were only six now but each of them were trained assassins. “And now the real fun begins!” Hastings taunted over the intercom. I stared into the eyes of each of the Kenways before I spoke. “You were all my brothers once, which is the only reason why I’m about to say this. Please just walk away and I promise I won’t hunt you down.” Most of them stood silent and one even grinned before they advanced a couple of steps further. I sighed, “Have it your way then.” I took off my coat and pulled out six shuriken from the back of my chestplate. They easily dodged the shuriken, but they didn’t realize I wasn’t aiming for them. I clicked the detonator in my glove and the shuriken exploded, killing two of my former comrades. I leaped over another Kenway’s head and put a bolt through his skull but another shot me out from midair, my armor blocked the bullet but it still hurt like hell. When I landed two Kenways took turns striking me as the third blitz in for the kill. I decapitated one with my hidden sword bolted another through his neck and drew back both of my arms to operate my armor’s cannon. A blue light shout out of my midsection, blasting a hole through my final assailant’s heart. I rose to my feet I rushed over to the staircase. It was time to end this.

As I made my way to Hastings’ office, I heard a faint but recognizable voice whisper my name. “Alec” She cried.

“Emilia!” I shouted in relief. I as I ran to the Animus I noticed that Hastings was nowhere to be found. Only Emilia and a small factory of machines occupied the room. “Where is he?” I inquired.

“I don’t know. Quick, untie me before he comes back!” She pleaded.

I removed the harness and helped lift her up. We gazed into each other’s eyes for a moment before she kissed me. I kissed her back as she coiled her arms around me a whispered “Took you long enough.”

“I love you too.” We both smiled as she squeezed me even tighter. “Em what are you doing? We have to find Hastings and end this.”

Tears rolled down her eyes before she replied. “That’s what I’m doing Al, I’m ending this.”

I looked down in confusion as I felt a hidden blade pierce through one of my kidneys. My legs began to tremble as she placed me into the animus.

Like clockwork, Sean Hastings emerged from the shadows and slowly clapped his hands. “I’ve gotta give it to the girl. She’s quite the actress isn’t she?”

“Have I done well?” She asked.

“Stupendously!” Shaun appraised.

“You used me! But why?” I asked.

Used is such a trivial notion, we all use each other sweety, but the truth that you seek is hidden in the first lie I ever told you. You see, I was never truly alone and my name is not Emilia Collins, it’s Emilia Hastings. My father gave me my mother’s maiden name to shield me from this lifestyle. When the Templars killed my parents, my grandfather and I were determined to bring them back at any cost. That’s when you came in.”

“The animus still runs on Desmond Miles dna since he was the only one who could fully operate the machine.” Shaun interjected. “Anyone else who uses the machine begins to slowly decompose. I chose you because you happen to be Desmond’s last descendent.”

“Can’t you see how ridiculous this is? You’ve become the same people that we spent years fighting against. What would your loved ones think of you now?”

“They would think that we were trying to fix the world. We aren’t going to use the power for vanity we intend to make the world a better place. This conversation is over!” Emilia began to power up the animus.

“Yes this is over. Time for plan B!” I shot several bolts through the openings in my armor, shredding up several vitals in the process.

“You idiot!” Emilia screeched. I’d like to think that her feelings for me were truly sincere. “Why did you do that?”

“I made some mods to this suit before I came here. Ever hear of a dead man’s switch? Well once my heart stops beating the core in my suit creates an explosion strong enough to take off the top half of this building.”

“It seems I underestimated you.” Hastings concluded. “Well played Shaw, well played indeed.”

“You’ve only delayed the inevitable.” Emilia assured me. “Others will succeed where we have failed. You’ve wasted such a grand opportunity for us to transcend into the last stage of human history.”

I could feel more blood seeping into my lungs. It was getting harder to breath. In my last breathes I said “Don’t worry my love; this is merely the end of our beginning.”

The blue light flickered rapidly; it was ready to take us all into the abyss. I closed my eyes to prepare for the end but when I opened them I was in a clear white room.

A tall woman caressed my head and began to speak. “I’m afraid I can’t let you do this. My name is Minerva, and I still have plans for you.”

THE END?

#84 Edited by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3768 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram:

Great, I succeeded. Sure, it could be better, but...oh well.

Man...so many stories! This one is petty popular.

#85 Edited by dngn4774 (3219 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is the revised entry:

DON’T CALL HIM A HERO

Yorkshire, United Kingdom; 2062

Nature’s sorrow drenched upon me, and the sky was now as dim as my soul. The love of my life was stolen from me; she was now the captive of a broken man who sought to mold the world in the shape of his twisted ambitions. As I pondered how things could have ended this poorly a collection of ravens circled above my head. The flock flew away from the stormclouds dropping a feather into the palm of my hand. Small particles of hydroreactive nanites arose from the feather leaving the words: Don’t do this!--Crane. I should have taken my mentor’s advice but my passions clouded my judgment. Shortly before my departure I made it clear to my colleagues that this was my fight, not the Brotherhood’s. My adversaries anticipated my surrender, they expected me to sacrifices myself for her like any hero would do, but Emilia didn’t need a hero—she needed an assassin!

I guess this story makes the most sense if I start with the basics. My name is Alec Shaw and I kill people. I’m not a serial murderer or a sociopath; at least I don’t believe I am. I kill for my order because they would kill for me; it’s as simple as that. As an orphan on the streets of Detroit I was bounced through the child care system like a pinball. My countless encounters with broken homes made me lose any sense of hope for humanity, but that all changed when I met her. I first met Emilia when I was 11 years old after she burned my abusive foster parents alive. She was only 9 at this time but I guess that girls have a habit of maturing faster than boys. She was terrifying at first but she explained that she was once alone too. She promised me that if I came with her I would never be alone again. After I helped her get rid of the bodies she brought me into the Assassins’ Order. The Brotherhood gave me the family that I always desired. The assassins provided a path for my life and Emilia gave it a purpose. As time passed both my skills and my renown grew exponentially. I became known as the hero of the Brotherhood after I terminated the last branch of the Templars. If only I knew what dangers where approaching perhaps more lives could have been saved.

After a few years passed, a recent boom in technology presented the Brotherhood with an even greater threat. Shaun Hastings, a legendary member of the Assassins, had began develop new methods to recreate the first civilization’s pieces of Eden. Once the Order demanded him to end his research, he and several other assassins formed a separatist sect called the Kenways, named after the Brotherhood’s most infamous traitor. The Kenways and the Order have been fighting one another ever since.

In the recent weeks we discovered that the Kenways have finished building a machine that can duplicate the relics of the first civilization. It operates as an animus but apparently kills the user. Some reports even detail that Hastings has resorted to using his own lieutenants as fuel for his machine. Despite Rebecca Crane’s best wishes, she reluctantly approved an order for Hastings’ assassination. Emilia and four other master assassins were commissioned for the contract. I was shocked when I heard the old man’s voice on my phone, he didn’t just survive the attack, he managed to capture the assassins. That was when he pitched his offer to me; if I took her seat in the animus he would spare her life in return. I instantly complied with the lunatic’s request and headed for the rendezvous.

I tracked the signal Hastings left to an abandoned tower in Yorkshire. Ironically, it used to be one of Abstergo Industries many research & development centers. After the last group of templars fell Abstergo was dissolved into dozens of smaller corporations. This property was bought by the Fawkes group, as a shell company for that the Kenways could use to launder money. It was a fitting venue to end this, once and for all.

I pulled up on my motorcycle a few blocks away to gear up before the raid. Though I came alone I made sure I was heavily armed. There was no way of knowing if Emilia was still alive and even if she was, I couldn’t trust the word of a traitor. The retinal sensors in my contacts outlined an X-ray of the building. Hastings office was covered in blue static waves; this wasn’t surprising considering that he designed over half of the assassin’s tech. He and Em had to be on the top floor and the only thing that separated us where about 12 stories and a 30 guards.

I didn’t bother with subterfuge, after all Shaun might have been a traitor but he was still a trained assassin. Those senses can dull a little over the years but our training never goes away. I made my entrance by crashing my motorcycle through the front door and exploding the gas tank with a well placed shot. I slowly walked through the lobby to examine the damage, five down, 26 to go.

As I approached the elevator, a familiar face appeared on the blue screen. “Emilia!” I shouted in desperation, instantly regretting my outburst of affection.

“Alec don’t come up! It’s a tr”-- Hastings interrupted our reunion by quickly gagging her mouth.

“Well that’s enough of that, I’ve held up my end of the bargain do you care to hold up yours?” He asked. The camera zoomed out revealing that Emilia was restrained to the animus chair. I holstered my pistols and calmly walked into the elevator. Hastings grimaced; he enjoyed watching me think over my next move. Before I ascended to the Hastings’ office, the elevator stopped a few floors below. Shaun’s face appeared on the monitor inside of the elevator. “On second thought, I don’t mind if you let off some steam before you get her. Deep down I’m a romantic at heart and I find this little love story you have with Emilia to be entertaining. I guess to some extent I’m actually rooting for you which is why I prepared a little surprise for you.” He chuckled before opening the doors of the elevator. Over two dozen guards stood in the hallway, they took their stances and had their weapons drawn. “I’ll leave the rest to you --and Shaw-- don’t disappoint me.”

Despite their numbers, I still had one advantage left. They needed me alive and I had the luxury of using lethal weapons. Still, if even one of those tranq darts made contact through my armor I might as well be dead. I had a split second to react before they attacked. I drew my pistols and emptied 12 rounds into the dart gunners first. I fired another two rounds before I was tackled to the ground by one of the guards; the blitz knocked my pistols away from me. I countered the incoming strike by stabbing one of my hidden blades through his chest, then I tossed the impaled guard into two other henchmen. I drew both of my blades as the remaining guards pulled out stun batons. My hidden blades were different than most of the other assassins. The blade on my left hand operated like a crossbow which fired steel projectile bolts and the blade on my right was a four foot sword that heated up to 450 degrees. I fired two bolts into the guards on the floor sliced through another five of the men as if they were made of butter. The remaining sentries connected their stun batons together, each forming an electric staff. They fought well, and couple of them even managed to land a few hits, but they were outmatched. I picked up my pistols and headed to the staircase, it was time to end this.

As I made my way to Hastings’ office, I heard a faint but recognizable voice whisper my name. “Alec” She cried.

“Emilia!” I shouted in relief. I as I ran to the animus I noticed that Hastings was nowhere to be found. Only Emilia and a small factory of machines occupied the room. “Where is he?” I inquired.

“I don’t know. Quick, untie me before he comes back!” She pleaded.

I removed the harness and helped lift her up. We gazed into each other’s eyes for a moment before she kissed me. I kissed her back as she coiled her arms around me a whispered “Took you long enough.”

“I love you too.” We both smiled as she squeezed me even tighter. “Em what are you doing? We have to find Hastings and end this.”

Tears rolled down her eyes before she replied. “That’s what I’m doing Al, I’m ending this.”

I looked down in confusion as I felt a hidden blade pierce through one of my kidneys. My legs began to tremble as she placed me into the animus.

Like clockwork, Sean Hastings emerged from the shadows and slowly clapped his hands. “I’ve have give it to the girl. She’s quite the actress isn’t she?”

“Have I done well?” She asked.

“Stupendously well!” Shaun appraised.

“You used me! But why?” I asked.

Used is such a trivial notion, we all use each other sweety, but the truth that you seek is hidden in the first lie I ever told you. You see, I was never truly alone and my name is not Emilia Collins, it’s Emilia Hastings. My father gave me my mother’s maiden name to shield me from this lifestyle. When the Templars killed my parents, my grandfather and I were determined to bring them back at any cost. That’s where you came in.”

“The animus still runs on Desmond Miles dna since he was the only one who could fully operate the machine.” Shaun interjected. “Anyone else who uses the machine begins to slowly decompose. I chose you because you happen to be Desmond’s last descendent.”

“Can’t you see how ridiculous this is? You’ve become the same people that we spent years fighting against. What would your loved ones think of you now?”

“They would think that we were trying to fix the world. We aren’t going to use the power for vanity we intend to make the world a better place. This conversation is over!” Emilia began to power up the animus.

“Yes this is over. Time for plan B!” I shot several bolts through the openings in my armor, shredding up several vitals in the process.

“You idiot!” Emilia screeched. I’d like to think that her feelings for me were truly sincere. “Why did you do that?”

“I made some mods to this suit before I came here. Ever hear of a dead man’s switch? Well once my heart stops beating the core in my suit creates an explosion strong enough to take off the top half of this building.”

“It seems I underestimated you.” Hastings concluded. “Well played Shaw, well played indeed.”

“You’ve only delayed the inevitable.” Emilia assured me. “Others will succeed where we have failed. You’ve wasted such a grand opportunity for us to transcend into the last stage of human history.”

I could feel more blood seeping into my lungs. It was getting harder to breath. In my last breathes I said “Don’t worry my love; this is merely the end of our beginning.”

The blue light flickered rapidly; it was ready to take us all into the abyss. I closed my eyes to prepare for the end but when I opened them I was in a clear white room.

A tall woman caressed my head and began to speak. “I’m afraid I can’t let you do this. My name is Minerva, and I still have plans for you.”

THE END?

1986 words so it should fit the limit.

#86 Edited by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

10 dayyyyyyyyyyyys......

#87 Posted by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@cbishop: I get you mate! :) I mean people complain when the world limit is low, so just make it high and then hopefully people are happy! 1000 words just forces people to HOPEFULLY be creative and not drag out ( but it may ) and the upper 2000 limit allows the highly created to create.

True dat. ...<sigh> Besides the fact that I don't know what to do with the armored guy, I've got some family stuff going on right now - my last grandparent is in the hospital and... well, real life beckons. :/

#88 Edited by dngn4774 (3219 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Best wishes, man! Hopefully conditions will improve.

#89 Posted by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774 said:

@cbishop: Best wishes, man! Hopefully conditions will improve.

Much appreciated.

#90 Edited by Pyrogram (40880 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Sorry to hear that man, seriously I hope your situation gets better :)

#91 Posted by batkevin74 (10982 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I'm going to decline an entry into this comp, mainly due to workload. If time permits I may sneak a story in but at the moment I am saying "pass" but I love the pic

#92 Posted by TommytheHitman (3291 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay from reading everyone else's entries I've just realized how screwed I am in this comp. Damn you guys for being so good!

#93 Edited by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Thanks. It's life. It happens. This too will pass.

#94 Posted by wildvine (10329 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

@lykopis said:

Difference being

you=talent

me=none.

Pout. What did I do?

#95 Posted by cbishop (8673 posts) - - Show Bio
#96 Posted by dngn4774 (3219 posts) - - Show Bio
#97 Posted by TommytheHitman (3291 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774: I would so laugh if they actually ended it like that.

#98 Posted by Myrmidon_ (5082 posts) - - Show Bio
@dngn4774 said:

@cbishop said:

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

...Sheesh, you and @wildvine...

Pout. What did I do?

lol "I don't know how to end it ." :^D

end it with a pie in the face

I will, I promise end my entry with a pie to the face.

#99 Posted by Allie_Ho (151 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm entering. (Whahaha!)

#100 Edited by dngn4774 (3219 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774 said:

@cbishop said:

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

...Sheesh, you and @wildvine...

Pout. What did I do?

lol "I don't know how to end it ." :^D

end it with a pie in the face

I will, I promise end my entry with a pie to the face.

If you manage to end the entry with a pie to the face and fit in the catchphrase "You stay classy San Diego" anywhere in your story, then buddy you got your first vote.