Breaking the New 52 Part 4

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

This story is safe for everyone to read. These characters are not my own, rather this is a work of fan fiction. All the characters referred to within belong to DC Comics.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

----

No Caption Provided

Ayla sat half-asleep behind the monitor. At the relatively rare moments such as this, when a threat to the world was not imminent, the Legion was away on leave on their home planets, taking a bit of time to reconnect with their families and cultures and to remember why they became heroes to begin with. A few had to stay behind as a reserve force, capable of holding off any attacks until the main group could arrive.

"You have to pay attention!" Brainiac-5 said as he walked into the room, "our shifts on monitor duty are spaced out long enough that sleep shouldn't be an issue."

"Sleep is not the problem," Ayla replied, "instead boredom."

"Keep your mind active," he replied before walking away.

"Easy for you to say," she said to him though she knew that he was already gone, "you invent thing in your dreams."

She looked back at the console. Something wasn't exactly right. She was monitoring a thousand worlds at the moment with a lookout for tangible threats like spacecraft or other spaceborne menaces. She did not expect to see a local disturbance here on Earth.

"Local power anomaly," the display on the computer read.

"Is there any imminent danger?" she asked to the computer.

"None observed," the computer replied. Ayla knew that she was going, only she wasn't sure if she was going to take someone with her. Brainiac 5 had seemed dismissive of her though, and so she decided against asking him, especially as this was just going to be an excuse for her to get away from the monitor, which he would dissuade her from anyway.

--

It was a remote forest in what had once been the state of Minnesota. The anomalous power fluctuation had come from nearby, but she had been unable to identify it with the scanners which she had brought. They were indeed not as advanced as though in the station, but they should have been able to link in information from there as well. She had her own tricks though, as she sparked a bolt of electricity forward from her fingers. Her control of electricity was beyond simply emitting it from her body, she had a microscopic control of electrons. The air which she sparked come to life in a way that she hadn't expected.

"Hard light constructs," she said to herself, before instinctively taking a step backwards. These were not necessarily a threat, but were anyway not what she had expected here.

"Identify yourself!" she screamed as bolts of lightning shot forth from her eyes. She was ready for battle, even if she did not need to be. She still did not have an idea what she might be facing.

"We are no threat," Soranik said as she rose above the treetops, bathed in a green glow.

"Indeed," Scotia replied, as she came out from a hiding place, followed soon by the others.

"A Green Lantern," Ayla said, "from which century? And who are your teammates?"

"I am not sure if we are a team?" Scotia replied, "so much as a medley of lost souls. And we are from your century."

"There are no Green Lanterns on Earth in the 30th century," Ayla replied, "they are not concerned with us much anymore."

"30th century?" Godiva replied from behind the others.

"Why which century do you think that you are in?" Ayla replied.

"We came from the 20th century," Godiva replied, "though as we are dealing with gods and aliens, I suppose it is relative."

"How do you come from the 20th century and yet not know where you are?" Ayla asked, "Time travel is a very specific endeavour, requiring precision, not accidentally stumbling upon a new time."

"An explanation would perhaps be better," Scotia countered, "I come from a place out of time and space, I am not certain how I came to be here, but I know that I do not belong, at least not as it would seem. By accident or by fate I came together with my other allies here, as we search for an answer to my existence as well as their own. That is Soranik, Lashina, Godiva, Ya'Wara and Priscilla." She pointed to the others as she made her introductions.

"We sought to find a man named Rip Hunter," Scotia continued, "by way of an associate of his Booster Gold. We focused on Godiva's memories and with a combination of the energy from my own technology as well as that of the Green Lantern, we were somehow brought here. We did not even know that it is another time until you arrived. We were quite confused ourselves." Ayla looked at Scotia critically, but she was finally happy with the explanation.

"I am Ayla Ranzz," she said, "but others know me as Lightning Lass, active member of the Legion of Super Heroes, and this sounds like a problem for my colleague Brainiac-5."

--

No Caption Provided

They met in a conference room aboard the satellite which was the home base for the Legionnaires. They once again went through the explanation although it was mostly Soranik and Scotia doing the talking. Lashina had avoided her brashness as she was still evaluating the situation and Voodoo, Godiva and Ya'Wara were out of their element even by 20th century technology, let alone 30th century."

"Time travelers," Brainiac 5 said, with a look of apprehension on his face, "this will not end well. Time travel never does. I am not sure whether to be more scared of the six of you who stumble into the wrong time by a strange combination of technology, or of these other two, who seem quite capable of doing as they wish with the time stream."

"One thing is certain though," he continued, "the sooner that you all stop traveling will be better for us. Only I am not certain how or where to look. The names Rip Hunter and Booster Gold are uncommon enough to show up in any records which we have, but those specific names do not show up at all in human history, nor the history of any other worlds which we know of."

"So then we are lost," Voodoo said.

"Not lost," Brainiac 5 said, "just not found. I don't suppose that I could convince you to go peacefully back to where you came from?"

"We need answers," Scotia said, "if this affects the present from our time it will also affect the future."

"Agreed," he said, "but I only have an inclination of where to send you. The twenty fifth century. I have researched into time travel myself, and even had some successes, and the twenty fifth century seems to contain an uncanny amount of temporal manipulation. Whether that is 'fixes' or jump points, I do not know, but it would seem that by a journey there that one might draw the attention of this time traveler."

"How do we go?" Voodoo asked.

"I will send you at once," he replied.

--

The time bubble appeared to be an extremely simple device, though presumably the level of technology was beyond what they could comprehend.

"I have this set for the year 2579," Brainiac said, "it should be close enough to the time where you need to be."

The six inside the bubble were strapped in and said nothing in reply to his statement.

"Ayla," he said, "get the door." She walked up and pressed a portion of the bubble, causing the skin to envelop around the doorway.

"Stand back," he said as the bubble started to hum. The humming continued to get louder until a large banging started.

"What is it?" Ayla screamed.

"Some kind of unexpected fluctuations," he replied "they were not kidding about not belonging. This is the temporal mechanics version of pushing a square peg into a round hole."

"Hold on!" she said, "I can contain the energy, just get them out of here."

"No don't," he yelled, "it is not safe."

Ayla walked up to the sphere and tried to control the energy seeping out of the bubble. If her and Brainiac 5 could not come up with a solution everyone's life was in danger.

"Now!" she screamed, "get them out of here. Initiate the jump." He hit the button and the bubble disappeared from view. The only problem was so too had Ayla.