joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By joshmightbe

Excerpt from the Histories of Granya section 3 allied worlds

The world called Zira sits not far from the border of the Kanti empire, It is a world varied life and has a landscape dominated by massive trees and grasslands that stretch on like vast seas. Its Oceans are small, most of its waters are lakes and rivers. The animals of this world are formidable. Most notably are the Garas, they are massive warm blooded reptilian creatures who roam the grasslands. These creatures are so large that a race of primates known as the Garakai have built large cities on their backs for their home.

Other than the Garakai, there are four other sentient races living on this planet. At the feet of the Garas live a race of mostly farmers and herders known as the Han. The Garas are considered sacred creatures to all the races of this world but to none more than those who live on or beneath them.

On the waters a race called the Raka make their home. They are fairly similar to the Granyak physically due to their amphibious nature though they do have rougher more reptilian skin than ours. They are primarily fishermen who make their homes in massive dams on the rivers.

Two races make their homes on and around the Massive Suda Trees, on the tops an avian race known as the Lonra make their homes in Nest cities accessible only by flight, the mere size of the trees makes climbing to these cities nearly impossible to all but the most experienced climbers.

At the bases of the Suda trees live a race of felines called the Sudain, they are a warrior race dedicated to the hunt and are of an adventurous nature. They are powerful creatures and the first foot soldiers to join the alliance.

end of excerpt.

In a hut carved into a knothole on the side of a Suda tree a female Sudain named Kala sat studying old scrolls while silently pondering the academy's stubborn refusal to use the much more efficient technology provided by their allies from other worlds. As she sighed the male who slept on her bed finally roused himself up.

He is Ankar, a powerful hunter who'd been making quite a name for himself. Kala found it odd that he had taken such an interest in her. The Sudain had no concept of monogamy and it was considered relatively odd for males and females to take any kind of personal interest in each other beyond mating. Ankar seemed to take great interest in her studies. Kala was set to lead her village soon meaning she'd have no time for her odd male so had taken one last night with him to remember him by.

Ankar was the son of a legendary soldier who'd died fighting the Kanti off a planet several systems over and Ankar longed for a life like that. An old Sudain proverb states that of all the threats this universe has to offer, none has killed more Sudain males than wanderlust.

Several hours after leaving Kala's hut, Ankar found himself a bit out in the grassland when a ship landed not far from him. He clutched his hunting knife tightly as he noticed the Nagith markings on the freighter. He tensed up in preparation for a fight when the bay door opened but eased a bit when he saw the crew of the ship step out, instead of the clean cut and uniformed Republic soldiers he expected a group of tired looking crewmen of various races shambled out and breathed deep as if they'd been taking in the ships recycled air for a cycle too long.

As the crew stretched out in the grass a large canine like creature stepped out and sniffed the air. He looked directly in Ankar's direction and stated in the common language of the Alliance worlds, "You can come out if you wish Sudain, I have neither the numbers nor the suicidal inclination to take a run at a Sudain village today."

Ankar stepped out and looked them over, "Pirates?"

The canine nodded, "I'm the Captain"

Ankar stepped over to him, "Captain who?"

The Captain gave a slight sneer, "Bah, my people have no use for names. Captain works fine for me."

Ankar chuckled as he realized where the Captain came from, a world even the Kanti feared to travel. The Captain's people had no laws or written language or even settlements due to its dangerous and uncontrollable wild life and knew each other only by scent. It was one of the few worlds even the Sudain avoided.

After sitting with the crew for quite sometime and hearing many stories Ankar decided to offer his services to the Captain in exchange for a ride off Zira. With this Ankar had joined the ranks of what are known on Zira as Hitch soldiers, Sudain who offer to be used as soldiers in exchange for transport.

(To be continued)

Here's my first chapter

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By batkevin74

@joshmightbe: Cool! Nice set up. I do like this bit:

Ankar stepped over to him, "Captain who?"

The Captain gave a slight sneer, "Bah, my people have no use for names. Captain works fine for me."

Good work

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

@batkevin74: Thanks, I'll be getting into this character more as this goes on I just wanted to get all the set up out of the way here.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Ankar chuckled as he realized where the Captain came from, a world even the Kanti feared to travel. The Captain's people had no laws or written language or even settlements due to its dangerous and uncontrollable wild life and knew each other only by scent. It was one of the few worlds even the Sudain avoided.

I've got to tell you that I've had this idea for some funny animal characters of mine, and I have such a mental picture of how the Captain's people greet each other. :}

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268