Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LeonardoTMNT

Other Chapters,

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/batmandc-chapters/617654/#1

The Detective Prince

Chapter 81

All Neatly Wrapped

There was no one to be seen upon reaching the second floor, seeing everyone had traveled to the lower levels. They continued toward the back corner of the room, stopping once reaching the door to the security room. He was the last to enter, closing the door on his way in. They found him sitting in front of the computer desk like he had been on their previous visit.

"Edward, I need you to take a look into something." Ellson said walking up to his side.

"Sure thing," Ed said turning in the chair. "Did you get that problem taken care of?"

"It was a misunderstanding," Ellson replied. "Some how one of our security tags got pinned onto a customers bag."

"Which in result triggered the store alarm to go off." Rick added.

"Well that's a new one." Ed said.

"That's why I want you to go back through the last hour of the recordings to see if you can pick up how that tag got there."

"I had a feeling you'd ask that of me," Ed said turning back for the screen. "Which is why I took the liberty of backtracking the tapes."

"Good."

"Before I forget, the system had another glitch about two minutes after you departed the room," Ed informed. "So I went ahead and started another reboot."

"Another glitch?" Heiji questioned.

"Oh yes," Ellson said facing him. "We've been having minor problems with the new security system we set up."

"How long ago did you install this new security?" Rick asked.

"Five days from now will make a month." Ellson replied.

"What exactly is affected by this glitch?" Heiji asked.

"Nothing too serious," Ellson replied. "Just the inability to record anything throughout the store."

"But that doesn't mean we can't see what's going on from here," Ed added. "As long as someone is sitting in front of the screen of course."

"So is it possible for us to watch footage of the past hour while the system reboots?" Rick asked.

"No problem," Ed replied. "You can use the computer on the right, I'll continue to observe things from here."

"That works for me," Rick said stepping around him to the other side. "So how does this thing work?"

"Hold on," Ed replied. "I'll get it all set up for you."

It was at that moment that his phone vibrated from the side of his belt, taking the time to see who was on the other line before answering it.

"Hello, this is Ellson."

Not another word came from his mouth, only listening to what was said. This took all but a few seconds before lowering the phone from his ear.

"What was that about?" Ed asked.

"It seems we have yet another problem down stairs," Ellson informed. "I better go and have a look."

"Mind if I tag along?" Heiji asked.

"I see no problem in that," Ellson answered before turning to Ed. "Get detective Gates here started with the video, we'll be back shortly."

"Of course." Ed said with a nod.

The video played back for a third time, watching as Eldelmon whispered something into the ear of the woman knelt down at the side of his bed before handing her a check. This then lead to her leaving the room. They didn't gain anything further than what they had from their first two observations of the tape.

"I'd say outside of their business deal they're not too associated," Dick said. "The duration of the time she entered the room up until when she left is only a mere thirty two seconds, if they were truly acquainted I'd have expected a longer visit."

"My thoughts exactly," Tim agreed. "Their conversation was filled with only business, nothing to regard anything on a personal level between the two."

They watched it for a fourth time, trying to gain a new perspective with each attempt.

"Finish the job, no mistakes," Conan repeated from what was said. "It's clear what Eldelmon was referring to, he obviously still has it out for his political colleague."

"That's one way to look at it," Dick said. "But there's also the possibility he hired her for multiple tasks."

"Then there's the whispering," Tim said. "Why try and keep things so discreet if they were the only two in the room, it's not like anyone else was near."

"I caught that as well." Conan said.

"What about the written check," Bruce asked. "Have you given it an in depth look?"

"The audio is the only thing I've made any adjustments to," Tim answered. "I never did get around to messing with the imagery."

"Leave that to me," Bruce said pausing the video. "If we know the amount of the check given, we might be able to track her whenever she deposits it."

"That crossed my mind."

"It's not a guaranteed we'll catch her this way, but it's defiantly worth giving a shot." Bruce said.

He zoomed in on the frozen shot, locking in on the check as it was being held out to the hooded woman. He wasted no time in saving the image. He then clicked on a program sitting on the desktop, taking a few moments for it to appear on the screen.

"What are you doing now?" Conan asked.

"The plans to enhance the photo," Bruce replied. "Enough to where I can make out these numbers."

"Which shouldn't take long," Tim said lowering Conan back to the ground. "Show and tell's over for now, I think it's about time we planned our next move."

"Ditto," Dick agreed. "I'll start us off by returning to the hospital, there's got to be an explanation for how they got past security last night."

"I think it's safe to conclude Jefferson Eldelmon died from something related to his sudden heart condition," Conan said. "From the video footage observed, there wasn't anything that pointed to any kind of foul play."

"It's a wait and see approach at this point," Tim said. "Nothing's a lock until the final results come back in from the lab."

"I think we're about done here, call me if anything else important comes up," Dick said before turning for the door. "Once I'm finished at the hospital I plan to go look into an incident that occurred last night."

"Anything we should know about?" Tim asked.

"Completely unrelated."

"Before you go, could you go up and connect that TV to the wall," Bruce asked looking his way. "I've been meaning to get to it."

"What TV?"

"The one for our guest," Bruce replied. "The wall mounts already been set in place, the only thing left to do is attach the TV to it."

"Sure why not, I've got time to spare."

"I'll come with you," Conan said. "There's actually something I'd like to ask."

"You first." Dick said stepping off to the side.

With that the both of them cleared out, with the door falling shut on its own.

"You know, I could have gone and set that up instead."

"That won't be necessary," Bruce said turning to face him. "Besides, there's something I wanted to discuss with you."

"About?"

"The night you first came into contact with Jefferson Eldelmon," Bruce replied. "I want to know everything that took place."

It was unknown to them what they would find upon reaching the scene. Things only became more puzzling as they made their way down the stairs, looking to see all customers currently in the store standing to the right side of the room guarded by the two security officers.

"What's going on now?" Ellson asked more than baffled by this new development.

"Something has gone missing," The clerk informed stepping around from the glass case on the left side. "Two of the synthetic diamonds to be precise."

"Missing," Ellson exclaimed. "Are you saying they've been stolen?"

"It appears that way sir."

"Has anyone been searched?"

"We were actually awaiting your word." One of the security guards replied from behind.

"Well you have my word now," Ellson said looking his way. "You're free to begin."

"Yes, of course."

"Now," Ellson said turning back to face the clerk. "Show me which glass case the diamonds went missing from."

"Right over here."

Heiji followed as well they made their way around the first set of glass cases. They stopped after reaching one at the center of it all.

"This is it," The clerk pointed out. "I found the case door hanging off to the side when I came over here."

"How do you suppose that happened?"

"It's almost as if they had a key of their own," The clerk answered. "There is no visual damage to the lock, which would imply there was no force used to gain access."

"And you're sure only two diamonds are missing?"

"Positive, I just finished with the count this morning," The clerk replied. "After all, more than half of the set here was brought in last night."

"Did you see anyone suspicious lurking around," Ellson asked. "Anyone who might have been hanging around this glass case for a period of time?"

"I don't believe so," The clerk replied. "Most everyone seemed to be looking around for the most part."

"Maybe he didn't catch anything, but that doesn't mean the surveillance camera's didn't," Heiji said. "I think we better head back up and have a look."

"We will, just as soon as the search is completed of all the customers."

"These diamonds, the ones missing," Heiji said stepping forward. "Was there anything special about them?"

"Nope, just your typical synthetic diamonds."

He then turned to the other side of the room, looking to see the security guards had begun their search.

"Looks like it will come down to this," Heiji thought to himself. "If they don't find anything amongst the customers, the surveillance tapes might be our only link to unraveling what happened."

The image gained clarity with each adjustment made, leaning back in the chair as he gave the completed product a look.

"How is it?"

"The enhancements are complete, we've got a clear amount for the check," Bruce replied. "28,585."

"Not a common amount, shouldn't be too hard to track when she deposits the check." Tim said pleased to hear.

"I'll keep an eye on that," Bruce said. "In the mean time, we need to find another way in now that Jefferson Eldelmon has been eliminated from the equation."

"I was thinking the same thing."

"Which is why I want to know who he's recently been associating himself with."

In that instant he walked up to the desk, reaching into his pocket before placing a card onto the table.

"What's this?" Bruce asked.

"Somewhere to start," Tim replied. "It's one of Cobblepot's business cards, it was actually given to Jefferson who left it behind that night."

"So, this is where we pursue on to."

"Not quite," Tim said. "The card was given to Eldelmon on the behalf of a Salomon Green, an acquaintance of his."

"That must mean he's the one connected to the Penguin," Bruce said. "What do you know about Mr. Green?"

"Little to nothing, I haven't run any searches on him at this point," Tim replied. "But that's not the only thing, he also brought up someone else during their conversation."

"Anyone we know?"

"Not yet, he's actually someone hired from out of town."

"What's his occupation?"

"Can't say for sure, Salomon referred to him as a straight shot," Tim informed. "There's a couple of directions you can take from that."

"And what's the name of this, straight shot?"

"Norio, Norio Hue."

"Looks like we have some work to do," Bruce said. "Starting now."

They waited patiently from the side, watching as the search of the customers continued on. This lasted for over ten minutes before one of the security guards looked their way with the shake of his head.

"There's nothing here to find," He said walking toward them. "They all came up clean."

"I see."

"What now Mr. Ellson?" The clerk asked.

"I'm going to go review this further in the surveillance room," Ellson replied. "I'll leave it to you to handle things down here."

"What about the customers?" The officer asked.

"They're free to leave whenever they so choose, just make sure to get contact information from each of them," Ellson replied. "If we find anything incriminating on any of the tapes we can always summon them back."

"I understand," The clerk said. "But shouldn't we at least hold them here until you look over the tapes?"

"I can't enforce that."

"He's right," Heiji said. "Everyone's already been searched."

"Now what?"

"You just stay here and keep a look out on things," Ellson replied while turning for the stairs. "A sharp look out."

"Hold on," Heiji said following after him. "I'm coming with you."

It was a silent walk back up, neither saying a word to the other as they pressed on toward the back corner. He reached for his keys after reaching the door, unlocking the door in a matter of moments.

"What happened down there," Ed asked looking toward them as they entered the room. "We've been watching from here."

"Was something stolen," Rick asked. "We saw the security guards searching the customers."

"Afraid that might be the case," Heiji replied. "A pair of synthetic diamonds have gone missing, no leads to where they might be as of now."

"Which is why we need to go through and look over the recordings," Ellson said. "With any luck, we should have our unsub on tape."

"Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves there," Heiji said before turning to Rick. "What about that security clothes tag, did you guys find out how it got onto his bag?"

"Negative," Ed replied. "We checked all cameras, the instant when the security tag was connected to his bag happened off screen."

"How so," Heiji asked. "Don't you have every square inch of this store accounted for."

"True, but each of the cameras pivots from one side to another while on their look out," Ed informed. "Which leaves a slight gap in time where certain areas can't be seen."

"So much for top notch security." Heiji muttered.

"We'll worry about the clothes tag in time," Ellson stated. "But right now I want to find out what happened to those diamonds, as in last week."

"Already on it," Ed said twirling in his chair to face the computer. "I'll rewind the tapes, I'm most certain whatever happened is on tape."

"How can you be so sure?" Rick asked.

"We've always got a clear shot on the register, as with any of the glass cases," Ellson replied. "We don't know what happened with those diamonds, but we'll know soon enough."

He stood from directly behind as the recorded footage was set into reverse, hoping that was indeed the case.

"I was assembled here to handle my first official case here in Gotham, funny how that turned into three in such a short amount of time," Heiji thought to himself. "One thing's for sure, there's more to this whole thing than meets the eye."

Everything was tightly locked into place, double checking to make sure this was indeed the case. He then took a step back to gaze up at the completed product, shaking his head in acceptance.

"So, what do you think," Dick said looking down at him "I think it's the perfect spot."

"I was just thinking the same thing," Conan replied. "Nothing better than waking up to a TV across the way."

"Not that I really care to know, but was this TV your idea," Dick asked. "To be honest, I always took you as more of a book person."

"Your spot on with your deduction, reading is one of my favored mediums," Conan said in response. "It was actually Alfred who saw the TV idea through."

"That comes as no surprise," Dick said. "So tell me, what is it you wanted to ask me?"

"Oh, that's right," Conan said. "I actually wanted to know something about that case you mentioned."

"What case?"

"The incident that occurred last night."

"Oh that," Dick said. "What did you want to know?"

"What happened," Conan asked. "Was someone hurt?"

"Three people to be exact."

"How badly?"

"Fatally shot," Dick replied. "Which is always unfortunate, not one of your normal cases of the week."

"What do you mean by that?"

"The weapon used to kill the three was left behind at the scene, along with a pair of gloves apparently used by the shooter," Dick replied. "An AWC G2 rifle."

"The weapon used was left behind at the scene?"

"Yea, that's right."

"Looks like our culprit was busier than we thought."

"Say what?"

"Bruce came across similar incident last night," Conan informed. "Nine men were found dead along the street, six shot and another three stabbed."

"Where did this happen?"

"Outside of some sporting complex."

"I think I know of it."

"I find it strange none of what you saw was reported on the news," Conan said. "If it had, the rest of us would have known."

"It got over shadowed by most everything else going on."

"Any chance this could be the same guy?" Conan asked.

"Only one way to find out," Dick replied. "We'll have to cross reference details between both cases."

"Which means going back to the study," Conan said. "Bruce wrote down everything there is to know about what happened."

"Come, there's no time to waste," Dick said. "If there's a potential lead, I'd like to get on it right away."

"You read my mind."

After a seemingly long period of time, the video was finally put to a stop. They stood in silence for the moments that followed, unsure where to progress from there.

"Now what," Rick said. "The process in which the diamonds were taken was not recorded."

"Not to worry," Heiji said. "It only means the diamonds were taken after the reboot of the computers was launched."

"Which would have been some time after that security tag caused the alarms to react." Ellson said.

"If that's the case I would have seen what took place," Ed said. "Not once did I see anyone messing around near that glass case."

"There's just no way," Ellson exclaimed with the shake of his head. "Diamonds don't just get up and walk out on their own with no trace, there has to be an explanation for this!"

"Don't jump the gun just yet," Rick calmingly said. "This investigation is far from over."

"Ed, was there ever a time you left this room?" Heiji asked.

"Earlier I left for an important visit to the." Ed began only to be cut off.

"I meant after the surveillance was put on lock," Heiji clarified. "At any time, did you leave this room?"

"I... did." Ed admitted after slight hesitation.

"Edward, why would you do that," Ellson snapped. "You knew the security cameras would be down for a period!"

"I'm sorry," Ed apologized. "But.. but I heard something."

"You heard something," Rick questioned. "What excaly did you hear?"

"The sound of a young child weeping, it was faint," Ed replied with a pause. "That's what prompted me to leave the room, but I was only gone for a second or two."

"I take it you didn't find any distressed child," Heiji said. "So tell us what you did come to discover."

"This," Ed said pulling something out from his jacket wrapped in a cloth. "It was laying on the ground."

He carefully unwrapped the cloth, laying his eyes on an unfamiliar device.

"So, what is that thing?" Ellson asked coming to his side.

"Not quite sure," Heiji replied. "But if I'm not mistaken, I'd say it's some kind of sound device."

"Now I see," Rick said with a snap of his finger. "Whoever laid that thing there must have wanted to lure him out, leaving them clear to move on with their heist."

"Are you saying this was planned by the one who took the diamonds?" Ellson asked.

"No doubt in my mind," Rick said with confidence. "And now that we have it, we can use it as a means of tracking it back to them."

"Not possible," Heiji stated upon further review. "Unless we have finger prints that is."

"Well don't stop there," Rick said looking his way. "Enlighten us Hattori."

"No tags, no bar code," Heiji informed. "That can only mean this was hand created, customized."

"Then what do we do now," Ellson questioned. "How are we supposed to find the diamonds with no leads?"

".. I don't know," Rick replied. "I truly don't know."

He wrapped the cloth back around the device, finding a secure spot for it in his jacket. He stood there for moments to come, keeping to himself as he collected his thoughts.

"The sound recorder all but links the the security tag and the disappearance of the diamonds as a whole," Heiji thought to himself. "But what about that note with the riddles... could this be their first anticipated move?"

To Be Continued

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LeonardoTMNT

The Detective Prince

Chapter 82

A Face to Remember

The search took no longer than a minute to produce results, finding exactly what they hoped they would.

"Salomon Anderson Green," Bruce said turning in his seat. "Is this the man you saw with Eldelmon that night?"

"I didn't actually see him," Tim replied. "Only heard his voice over a conmlink."

"He's the only registered Salomon Green who lives here in Gotham," Bruce said. "Unless he's using that name as an alias, this looks to be our guy."

"Got an address?"

"His residents is overlooking the Sprang river on the west side of town."

"Can't say I disapprove of the view," Tim said. "You plan on paying him a visit in the next few days?"

"Tonight is as good as any."

"You want me to tag along?"

"I'd rather you focus in on our other man of interest," Bruce answered. "The one they referred to as the straight shot."

"Your call," Tim said. "Now all we have to do is run a search on Mr. Hue."

"And we will," Bruce said. "But first, I wanted to touch base with you about something."

"The carpet's yours."

"The main computer was finally able to pick up that virus," Bruce informed. "The one flowing throughout the Mini Lon."

"Any luck diagnosing what or where it originated?"

"No, but I did find something to be odd," Bruce said. "It took days to finally find traces of the virus, when it took all but a few moments for your security system to pick it up."

"Now that you mention it, that does present a question," Tim said giving it some thought. "There's a difference between instantly picking up a virus."

"And going to great lengths to dig for one." Bruce finished.

"Do you think this virus is regressing some how," Tim questioned. "That would explain why it took you so long to sight it."

"Not this one," Bruce replied. "It was only spreading, just not in the usual way most viruses do."

"How long before those using the Mini Lon take notice of the spread of a virus?"

"Days, weeks, months even," Bruce answered. "It's hard to tell, given its erratic nature."

"I'll take another look at it when I get the chance."

"As will I."

"There's something else I've been meaning to, why have you been operating from here rather than down in the cave?"

The door flew open in that instance, the both of them turning to see the two of them re-enter the room.

"Finished with that TV so soon, I thought it would have taken a bit longer." Bruce said.

"We need to talk." Dick said walking forward.

The minutes that followed from the time they had learned of the sound recorder brought a rally of silence. Without clear evidence linking someone specific to the crime, it left them at an untimely dead end.

"I think we better head down to the station," Rick said looking down at his watch. "It's fifteen past three already, and I would like to get that device found examined as soon as possible."

"I understand," Ellson said. "Keep us informed, I'd like to know what the verdict on that thing as soon as you do."

"That's the plan."

"I do have one last question," Heiji said turning toward Ed. "That cloth, was it wrapped around that recorder when you first discovered it?"

"No, I actually used that handkerchief to haul it in," Ed informed. "I wasn't sure what it was and wanted to be careful as possible."

"Well you made the right decision," Heiji said. "Now we won't have to worry about excluding your finger prints from any others that might be on it."

"Do you really think you'll find something," Ellson questioned. "It's not that I don't have my trust in the process, it's just whoever set this up has been next to flawless in their preparation."

"There's a possibility we won't find any prints," Rick acknowledged. "But we'll hold off on any reaction until we've got it tested."

"How long until we should hear back from you?"

"Before the days end," Rick answered. "We'll keep you up to speed on any progressions made."

"I appreciate that," Ellson said. "But I must know, do you beileve this whole scenario was pre meditated by the one who left the riddle for us to find?"

"It's much too early to come to any conclusions," Rick replied. "But it is most certainly a possibility."

"I figured that much," Ellson said. "Then I guess we better let the two of you get going, if anything happens from our end we'll call immediately."

"And we'll respond as soon as we can." Rick declared with a nod.

The two of them then turned for the door with nothing further, making their way out for yet another time. It was apparent most things had returned to normal on their way down, coming into contact with one of the security guards from earlier after reaching the first floor.

"How did things unfold up there, were you able to see who took the diamonds from the videos?"

"Unfortunately not," Rick replied. "But the good news is we found something that might be viable to solving who did."

"That's better than no leads."

"How's everything been holding up down here?" Rick asked

"We've sharpened up security, we even called in another guy from our unit," The security guard informed. "He's outside looking on for any unusual activity while we've got everything covered inside."

"Couldn't have planned that better myself."

"Well good luck with whatever it is you uncovered, we hope to hear back from you soon."

"And you will," Rick assured. "Thanks."

The two of them moved on from there, finding a clear path to the exit. The sky had slightly darkened from the time they had arrived, finding a horde of clouds floating across the way.

"What an affair this has turned out to be," Rick remarked as they walked. "One of the most fluctuant cases I've handled in awhile."

"Which one," Heiji asked. "The first, or the second?"

"What do you mean," Rick asked. "There's only one thing we were brought here to solve, and we let that thief skip right past us to their chosen prize."

"There was not one thing that happened here today that convinces me that the note left behind was related to what just occurred."

"You don't mean?"

"I believe this was a separate incident," Heiji said. "Our riddle leaving culprit has yet to play their card."

"How can you be so sure?"

"If you read in between the lines of what was written, none of it adds up to what just conspired."

"So you're saying we're dealing with two thieves," Rick said not quite convinced. "And they just so happen to be targeting the same company, that can't be coincidence."

"Maybe not, but here," Heiji said reaching into his pocket. "The sound recorder found is yours now, I trust that you'll get it into the right hands for examination."

"Of course." Rick said accepting the device.

He wasted no time in storing it away in his jacket. He then pulled out a pair of keys from within his pocket.

"Need a ride." Rick asked as they neared a car aside the road.

"I'd hate to put a hold on anything."

"Don't mind yourself," Rick stated. "Besides, I've got a little time to spare."

".. Sure," Heiji accepted after a seconds thought. "Why not."

He listened to what he had to say, which didn't take long. He then compared it to what he had come across the previous night.

"So, what's the final verdict?"

"It sounds like we're dealing with the same shooter," Bruce replied. "It's not often you have two separate individuals intentionally leave behind the weapons used in a murder all in the same night."

"My thoughts exact." Dick said.

"Might I suggest a timetable," Tim said adding his input. "That would give us a correlation of the time in between each sequence."

"The three dead men were found a couple blocks away from Amusement Mile," Dick informed. "The time of death is estimated at twelve after nine."

"Which is a solid length after the first set of deaths," Bruce said. "That would have given the killer plenty of time to travel across town to commit the next set of murders."

"I failed to ask earlier,' Conan said. "But did you happen to run a background check on any of the deceased men, it could prove key."

"Why's that?" Dick asked.

"The nine men found outside of the sporting complex were all members of the Sprang Bridge Soldiers," Bruce informed. "If the three men you found are part of the same group that would give us a direct connection."

"Now I see," Dick said. "I haven't quite looked into any of that as of yet."

"What about the weapon used in the assault," Tim asked. "Have you attempted to trace it back to its owner?"

"Haven't got to that either," Dick replied. "Like I said before, I planned on cracking down on things as soon as I pay a visit to that hospital."

"I'd go with you," Tim said. "But I have something to attend to myself."

"Now all we have to do is gather enough information to dish out a list of suspects." Dick said.

"We won't have to start completely from scratch," Bruce said. "Conan encountered someone last night."

"Someone involved?"

"A possibility is where we stand."

"It was a man I saw while riding the bus," Conan said. "It didn't take much for him to attract my attention."

"What was so eye grabbing about this individual?" Dick asked.

"Besides the handle I saw hanging from out of his boot, the redness on his sleeve," Conan replied. "From my angle I'd say it was blood that had dried recently."

"He sounds more than suspicious," Dick said. "Please tell me you put a tracer on this guy."

"I didn't get the chance to," Conan said. "I took my eyes off of him for one second, and the next moment he was gone."

"That always seems to be the case doesn't it."

"Where again did you say these murders occurred?" Bruce asked.

"Right outside of Amusement Mile," Dick repeated. "Why, is there some relevance to that?"

".. Maybe," Bruce said looking toward Conan. "Tell me, what stop did you finally get off of the bus?"

"I don't remember the street name, but I do know the bus only had one more stop to make before completing its scheduled route."

"And you were on the '72' bus, correct?"

"That'd be the one."

"Elmer street, six minutes away from Amusement High," Bruce stated. "And you exited the bus at about five after nine right?"

"Five exact." Conan confirmed.

"And the estimated time of death for the three men was fourteen after," Dick said. "Anyone who got off of that bus could have made it over to where those killings took place before fourteen after."

"That only raises this mystery man on our list of suspects." Tim said.

"So what do we know about this guy?" Dick asked.

"Besides a drawn out sketch, nothing," Bruce replied before turning to Conan. "You couldn't have gotten very far from when you got off the bus up until fourteen after."

"That's right, you should have heard something." Dick said.

"Come to think of it, I did hear shots fired," Conan recalled. "It was right after witnessing a burglary unfold right across from where I hid behind a news stand."

"Why were you hiding behind a newsstand?" Tim asked.

"That's a whole nother story."

"How many shots do you remember hearing?" Dick asked.

"More than three, less than seven."

"Close," Dick said. "Five were fired to be exact, all connecting with the three victims except for one."

"One missed," Tim questioned. "Where did it hit?"

"It took out one of the street lights," Dick replied. "Anyone who may have been standing nearby would have found it hard to see what was going on."

"So now we have a sharp marksman and a strategist."

"Now I see," Conan said. "That would explain why he took off so fast after getting off the bus, he must have been anticipating he'd run into those three."

"Tell me, at any point on the bus ride did you see him engage in any kind of activity?" Bruce asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Did he call or perhaps text anyone during the time on the bus?"

"Not at all," Conan replied. "He was pretty mute throughout, rarely did he react to anything."

"If he is indeed our guy, that raises a question," Tim said. "How did he know exactly where those three men would be if he didn't formally contact them?"

"First thing's first," Bruce said. "We need to see if there is a connection between them and the other nine men."

"Agreed," Dick said in response. "Things will go a lot smoother if that's determined, I'll try and have an answer to that by night fall."

"Be sure to let us know what those tapes reveal at the hospital," Tim reminded. "I think it's time we put an end to our hooded woman's little venture."

"Long overdue," Dick said turning for the door. "Keep me updated on anything learned, I'll do the same."

He left from there, closing the door on his way out.

"I guess this is the part where we dissect what we have."

"Right you are," Bruce said. "Now that we have the times set out, I think it's time we focused in on the victims."

"Shouldn't our attention be more directed on the weapons used?" Tim asked.

"I've already given that angle a peak, only to come to a dead end," Bruce said in response. "I think we'll have better luck confirming who did this by focusing in on their personal lives."

"I'm inclined to agree," Conan said. "Let's not forget the first set of nine men knew who their attacker was."

"And if we're able to connect these three additional killings with the first ones that may clear up some things." Bruce added.

"I don't have to leave until four, which is twenty minutes from now," Tim said checking his watch. "Would you like me to look into each of their backgrounds?"

"We'll leave that for Dick to handle," Bruce replied. "I want you to find as much as you can on Norio Hue."

"Why don't we run a light search on him now," Tim suggested. "I've got plenty of time."

"I'd like to have a look at this guy myself." Conan agreed.

"I don't see the problem in that."

He closed all open programs before opening a new window. The two of them stood in wait as he launched a search. The results they were hoping to gain came to the screen within seconds after typing in his name.

"There he is," Bruce said. "Norio Hue."

Though he could not see from where he stood, the expression on his face was very apparent.

"What's wrong?" Conan asked.

"Why don't you have a look for yourself." Tim said reaching down to grab him.

He looked forward while being lifted, laying his eyes onto the image before him. Not much registered to the mind upon having his first look. It wasn't until everything mellowed in that it finally came back to him.

"This man," Conan said giving the image a hard long look. "I don't know where, but I've seen him somewhere before."

"Are you sure?" Bruce asked.

"No doubt."

"He's right," Tim said still holding him in place. "Because I've seen him as well."

They continued to move on, following the path instructed to him. The police headquaters came into view as they drove, finding his way to the parking lot before coming to a stop.

"Why are we stopping here?"

"For that device of course," Rick replied. "I'd like to get it to the lab for examination as soon as possible."

"Oh, that's right."

"You wait here, I'll only be a moment," Rick said. "If anyone try's to radio me let it be, I'll get back to them in time."

With nothing further he exited the car, heading straight for the entryway. There was much weighing in on his mind as he sat in wait. There was the uncertainty of the riddles along with the successful heist he had failed to sniff out before it was launched. He pulled out the slip of paper once again to give it yet another read.

"i am solely for the eye beyond all affiliated kins, a tune to Hear with a misdirection Red (1)."

The seconds that followed were used to try and comprehend what it all meant. Whether the diamonds stolen had anything to do with the riddles left behind was still a mystery. He then looked to the second part of the written riddle.

"superior to my the Deceiver, at the Affair shall I appear.."

It was at second that he really took notice, something he hadn't given much thought to earlier.

"An affair," Heiji thought. "What could that possibly refer to?"

This ran through his mind for minutes to come. The door on the driver side reopened a short time later, turning just in time to see detective Gates retake the wheel.

"Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."

"Not at all," Heiji said. "So how'd things go inside?"

"As planned," Rick replied. "The examination process will begin shortly."

"Good, maybe we'll catch a break with some left behind prints."

"What's wrong," Rick questioned. "You don't sound all that confident."

"Whoever took those diamonds set out with a solid plan, and executed just as well," Heiji added. "What's the chance they left behind finger prints on something they know would most certainly get examined?"

"..Good point," Rick said facing forward. "So what now?"

"We wait," Heiji replied. "And in the mean time I'll try to unravel the true meaning of the riddles, I'm almost certain todays events were nothing short of a side ploy."

"You still want me to drive you across town?"

"Yes," Heiji replied. "The best thing for us to do at this point is reevaluate all that we have."

"Well stated," Rick agreed. "Things have taken a turn from the moment we took on this case."

He stuck the key into the ignition from there, pulling out of the lot with a turn for the road. The two fell quiet in that instance, both wondering what would be the next made move by the thief on their hands.

There was no mistaking it, there was no doubt in their mind that they had seen this man.

"Norio Hue," Tim said. "I knew I had heard his name somewhere before."

"It took a few seconds for it to come back to me as well."

"You both seem sure you've seen this man somewhere before," Bruce said. "Now where did you?"

"It was when we were aboard the Seawolf," Conan informed. "A cruise we went on back in Japan months ago."

"A cruise?"

"It's a long story." Tim said.

"Well, you can give me the scoop in time," Bruce said. "Right now I'd like for you to tell me everything you know about Mr. Hue, what did you learn about him while on this cruise?"

"We didn't actually talk with him all that much," Conan replied. "He was more recluse than anything throughout the ride, though we did occasionally see him in the pool room along with a few others."

"He never did mention his last name during the introduction process," Tim said. "That's what took so long for everything to finally register back to me."

"Besides a few pool matches, was there anything else you found out about him," Bruce asked. "Any tendencies perhaps?"

"Nothing to that degree," Conan replied. "But we do know he has a solid military background, he said so himself."

"That's a start."

"With all that in mind, it does raise one alarming question," Conan said. "What's he doing here in Gotham, clear across the globe from home?"

To Be Continued