#1 Posted by Tim_Drake4444 (1094 posts) - - Show Bio

Other chapters,

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/batmandc-chapters/617654/#1

The Detective Prince

Chapter 113

Deceived

Standing back was the first move made, allowing for him to enter the room. There was much he wanted to ask. He closed the door before looking to attend to just that.

"Wherever have you been Master Kuroba?"

"I spent the night at another motel two miles from here."

"Why," Konosuke asked. "I don't understand."

"I didn't want to run the risk of them trailing me back here."

"What do you mean by they," Konosuke questioned. "You wouldn't happen to be referring to the people you followed last night would you?"

"Yes."

"Why am I not surprised."

"If it makes you feel any better things went fairly well," Kaito said. "Even better than I had hoped on my first night out."

"I figured that much when I saw your expression upon your return."

"I apologize if I had you worried."

"Don't mention it, I now understand the circumstances," Konosuke said. "You mentioned something when I first opened the door."

"Huh?"

"We're in," Konosuke recalled. "Those were your first words to me."

"Oh, that's right," Kaito said. "Believe it or not we might have a chance of getting our hands on the Networks Pivotal Equalizer sooner rather than later."

"What an unexpected development," Konosuke said. "Please do explain."

"To make a long story short the guys I was following are friends of Marco Gaffney."

"That's the man you chose to frame with that scheme at the Futures Building right?"

"Correct," Kaito confirmed. "The good thing is they know nothing about that my involvement."

"And how do you plan to get a hold of the Networks Pivotal Equalizer?"

"This is where it gets interesting,"Kaito said. "The three that I was following after were joined by a fourth individual."

"And?"

"If I'm not mistaken I'd say he's an outside guy," Kaito replied. "Someone who does business with them on several fronts."

"What do you mean by them?"

"The Blackgaters," Kaito clarified. "One of the more well known gangs in this town."

"You don't mean?"

"That's right, the three I encountered were all members of the Blackgate gang," Kaito confirmed. "Beesto and Jackson, those were the names of two of the members I encountered."

"And the third?"

"Oh yes, the woman," Kaito said. "Unfortunately I wasn't able to get her name… there was something different about her."

"Something different?"

"After I allowed myself to be discovered she was the only one who showed no emotion to the situation, even when I pulled the gun on them."

"You had a gun?"

"I'll explain later," Kaito promised. "But back to the subject, it was almost as if she knew I had been following them."

"Did you exchange words with this woman?"

"No," Kaito replied. "Nor did she say anything to her comrades the whole time I watched them."

"Perhaps a disability with either hearing or speaking?"

"Highly doubtful, but not something I'd completely write off," Kaito replied. "It doesn't help when no one within the group addressed her directly."

"I wonder why that is."

"That's the least of our concerns," Kaito said. "Right now we should be preparing for tonight's meeting."

"What meeting?"

"The one I'm set to have with Beesto and Mr. Samlong."

"Who's Mr. Samlong?"

"The man I spoke of," Kaito replied. "The one to have joined the three shortly after I began to follow them."

"You say they have information to give about the Networks Pivotal Equalizer," Konosuke said. "But what's the catch, I doubt they'd be willing to give this information for free."

"You're absolutely right," Kaito said. "They want me to give them the one responsible for framing Marco Gaffney."

"But that would mean bringing."

"Yes," Kaito said before he could finish. "That would mean bringing Kaitou Kid into the center of things."

"Are you sure that is a good idea," Konosuke questioned. "There are other options that can be taken."

"None that will get us the Networks Equalizer any quicker than this," Kaito said in response. "You know that as well as I do."

"…"

"In any case have you heard from our... friend since my departure?"

"No," Konosuke replied. "There has been no word from the contractor since the last time the two of you spoke."

"Good."

"What about this evidence you spoke of?"

"What's that?"

"The evidence you plan to give them in exchange for the information we seek." Konosuke reminded.

"Video footage."

"Video footage of what?"

"From when that diamond I left in place of the G3 Power Emitter was originally taken from the museum."

"I didn't know you had your hands on that."

"Well of course," Kaito said. "After stealing the diamond I made sure to remove all video feedback from the cameras that were rolling at the time."

"I take it you still have this footage."

"All neatly tucked away in the bottom drawer there." Kaito confirmed pointing to the right side.

"I would have expected nothing less," Konosuke said. "But aren't you concerned in the least?"

"In a sense," Kaito admitted. "There's always the chance they could back off on the deal."

"Have you put any thought into the case of that?"

"Let's just say I'm still contemplating on the matter."

"If you should know I'd be more than willing to help you with this."

"That might not be a bad idea."

"Where do you plan on meeting with this bunch?"

"At the same spot as last night," Kaito replied. "A train station where I originally confronted them."

"I think it'd be a good idea if you headed down there before tonight's occasion."

"That's something to think about."

"So, would you like me to come along?"

"I'd hate to make them uncomfortable."

"I meant only in a distant role."

"You know, that might actually prove to be beneficial," Kaito said. "

"Does that mean you agree?"

"Yes, as long as you stay out of sight."

"That was always going to be the plan."

"We have several hours between now and then," Kaito said. "We had better get started with our preparation."

He nodded his head in agreement, knowing this was a crucial stage in the process.

An hour and ten minutes had now passed from the time he had found his way to the station. When he was to arrive was the question of the day. He stood with his back rested to the wall, looking up in time to see detective Gates rejoin him.

"That didn't take long at all."

"I told you it wouldn't be," Rick said. "You sure you want to stand around here, we've got chairs in the waiting area if you would prefer."

"No thanks, I'm fine."

"Your call."

"You asked me about my involvement before."

"What's that?"

"Do you plan on taking the floor when all is set up as well?"

"There would be no real reason," Rick replied. "As far as I know I'm only a spectator for the day."

"And here I thought you might have wanted to put in a word on the situation," Heiji said. "After all you've been working this case from the beginning yourself, even before I arrived in town."

"I've never been good with words," Rick admitted. "I'll leave the public speaking for you to handle."

"Your loss."

"Do you know what you're going to say?"

"You know, I haven't really given much thought to that," Heiji replied. "Then again I'm not sure which grounds they wanted me to cover on the matter."

"It's no big deal," Rick said. "I'm sure Commissioner Gordon will let you know ahead of time."

"That's what I was thinking."

"Anyhow I fished up with another case I had been working for the past week."

"Is that right?"

"With the extra time on my hands I should be able to help more with the ongoing case involving this thief."

"That's good to know," Heiji said. "The more people involved with this the better."

He looked down at his watch once more to check the time, hearing the sound of the entrance doors slide open. He looked across the way to see several officers walk in, the last being the commissioner himself.

"Here we go," Rick said. "Maybe now things will get started."

The two of them watched as the group headed all the way to the far side of the room before finally coming to a stop. Conversation ensued amongst the group almost immediately after.

"What do you think's going on over there?"

"Can't really say," Rick replied. "My guess would be that they're collaborating on any last minute adjustments to be made before we're to begin."

"That might be the case."

"Regardless they're here," Rick said. "Which means we won't have much longer to wait."

"You're most certainty right."

"In the mean time I'd like to hear about your most recent episode."

"What's that?" Heiji questioned with the lift of a brow.

"Nano High," Rick replied. "I want to know what happened, from your perspective."

Ten minutes had now passed from the time they had spoken. He patiently awaited the call that was soon to come, spending those passing minutes to continue his analysis of everything laid out in front of him. The information being processed sealed further into his mind the more he went through, diagnosing it to the core.

"It's all here, the symptoms all the way to the after affect," Shinichi thought. "The only thing that now remains is to pin point a cause."

Through the thick of it all he eased back in the seat, looking to the ceiling as if to find an answer, one which would seemingly never come. The vibration of his phone caught him by surprise, reaching out to the table to grab hold of it.

"I'm still here." Shinichi said glad to hear back from him.

"All is ready to go with the system," Alfred informed. "The only thing that remains is for you to give me the names that you wish for me to run through the search engine."

"Loud and clear," Shinichi said reaching down for the file case. "I have an idea that would speed up this process."

"I'm open to any ideas you may have in mind."

"Do you have an email?"

"Well of course."

"Good, then we're good to go."

"What did you have in mind?"

"Give me the name," Shinichi replied "You'll understand the rest soon enough."

He listened to what was told for those next minutes, becoming more interested by the second.

"I had heard detective Galldon was there, I guess it was true."

"He was on top of the situation the whole time," Heiji said. "You couldn't ask for more out of someone."

"I'm shocked to hear that Grahm was the one to set that all up, then go as far to kill his own brother," Rick stated. "That there is some twisted stuff."

"That's how most felt."

"What do you think will happen to the girl?"

"That is yet to be seen," Heiji replied. "Only time will tell."

"How did everyone else take it?"

"It's going to be a long road for recovery, longer for some," Heiji replied. "Positioning at the company is another thing to look out for going forward."

"Which is to be expected."

It was at that given moment that they looked across the room in time to see Commissioner Gordon heading into their direction. They didn't say anything further, simply waiting for his arrival.

"Good afternoon gentlemen."

"To you as well." Rick said in response.

"I'm glad to see you were able to make it here Hattori."

"No way I was going to miss this."

"How long have the two of you been waiting?"

"A good enough time," Heiji replied. "But I'm ready whenever all is set to go."

"We're still a couple minutes from getting everything in line before we can begin."

"We thought that much."

"There's a couple things the lieutenant would like to address first before you take the floor."

"Since we're on the topic I wanted to know what you wanted me to say exactly," Heiji said. "There's a number of ways I could go with this."

"What did you have in mind?"

"Going through all details once again in this case is what I had in mind," Heiji began. "You can never nitpick at something too much when it comes to certain situations, Kaitou Kid being one of them."

"And the other?"

"Another route to take would be to focus strictly on the thief, from known interests to common tendencies."

"I don't see why you can't cover both topics." Rick said.

"He's right," James agreed. "The more familiar people are with this Kid thief and the situation the better."

"What about time?"

"Not at all," James replied. "You can take whatever time you need."

"Then it's settled," Heiji decided. "I'll do a full round house."

"Good," James said. "I have a few things to get cleared up, but I'll be back to let you know when you're up."

"And I'll be here."

"As will I." Rick said.

With that he made his way back to the other side of the room, rejoining the others he had entered the headquarters with.

"Not much longer to go, pity Kudo isn't here," Heiji thought. "This is right down his alley."

The sky was just as he heard it'd be from watching the morning news. The sun was partially blocked by a group of clouds to his delight, making for a cooler journey up the roadside. The destination came into sight soon after, picking up speed after passing a bump in the road. He arrived at the front gate soon after, surprised to find it open.

"It's open, that must mean someone's here."

He drove in past the gate, parking off to the left side before stepping off of the bike with the removal of the helmet. He immediately made his way toward the house, taking his time up the long fleet of stairs. Once at the top he gave the doorbell a ring. After waiting for nearly a half minute he gave it a second ring. Still there was no response.

"Maybe I should have called first, but with the gate open you'd think at least one person would be here."

Wondering if something could be wrong he reached out for the door knob. Before his hand could make contact the door slid open.

"Well look who it is."

"Damian." Tim said less than enthusiastic to see him.

"What are you doing here?"

"I have some information I'd like to juggle with the others," Tim answered. "Is anyone else here besides you?"

"Pennyworth is in the book room."

"And Bruce?"

"You missed him about twenty minutes ago," Damian informed. "Him and Grayson went out to look into something."

"Any idea when they'll be back?" Tim asked walking in past him.

"Didn't ask, don't care."

"Never mind," Tim said heading for the bookroom. "I'll worry about that later."

Curious as to what brought him to the house he decided to follow him. They arrived to the door soon after, walking in to find him sitting in front of a computer that had been set up at the desk.

"Hope you don't mind me joining you."

"I thought I heard voices," Alfred said looking up to see the two. "What brings you here?"

"There's something I wanted to go over with Bruce," Tim replied. "But since he's not currently here I thought I'd go over this with you."

"I'd love to," Alfred said. "That is after I'm done here."

"What are you working on?" Tim asked moving further into the room.

"Something that detective friend of yours has him looking into." Damian replied finding a spot to stand near the wall.

"What does he have you searching up?" Tim asked finding his way to his side.

"A list of names," Alfred replied before looking back to the computer. "Names which were gathered from the case file he currently has possession of."

"I see," Tim said. "And what is the content of your searches on each?"

"I'm still in the process of figuring that out," Alfred replied. "The key is to find common ground between all victims."

"I see, you're trying to pin point a cause."

"In short, yes," Alfred confirmed. "Though the possibilities are wide as of now, there's no telling if the cause is by an activity these people have participated in or even a location they might have visited."

"When's the last you talked with Shinichi?"

"No longer than ten minutes ago."

"And did he tell you what he came by after looking over those files given to him?"

"No," Alfred replied. "He only sent me a list of all the names through email and asked for me to run a background check on all."

"Guess I'll have to contact him to find out."

"That's not a bad idea."

"Damian said Bruce left with Dick a short time ago," Tim said looking to change the subject. "Would you happen to know where they took off to?"

"I don't know where they went, but I do know why," Alfred replied. "It would appear something has come up in the case of Salomon Green."

"Hold on, isn't that the guy who was found dead in his home last week?"

"That is correct."

"I wonder what they could have possibly come by."

"Whatever it is I'm sure it was something of importance."

"What makes you say that?" Tim asked looking back his way.

"Upon his arrival it took only a minute for the two to head out for the road," Alfred informed. "Master Bruce said he'd call once all was taken care of."

"I wonder what that could mean."

That given moment brought the ring of his phone from below. He reached down to grab it, answering to hear a familiar voice from the other side.

"I saw that you called, sorry it took so long to get back to you."

"What do you mean?" Tim questioned.

"You tried reaching me yesterday right?"

"And I did," Tim said. "We already spoke sometime after three, don't you remember?"

"That would have been impossible, being that my phone was out of power at that time."

"… Where are you?"

"I just returned home, I was out in New York for the past two days."

"What?"

"I told you that'd I'd be out there for a day or so the last we talked, don't you remember?"

"That must mean…"

"The sound in your tone, is everything alright?"

"Keep your phone on, I'll be contacting you soon," Tim stated. "Something isn't right."

"Mind telling me what?"

"You'll know as soon as I do."

"Get back to me as soon as possible."

"Will do."

With that he hung up, frozen with one question on his mind.

"What is going on?"

"Master Timothy," Alfred said regaining his attention. "Is everything alright?"

"It would appear not to be."

"Who was that you spoke with?" Damian asked.

"It was Conner." Tim replied turning to face him.

"So what's the problem?"

"He claims he had been in New York for the past two days," Tim informed. "If that is true, who was the man who accompanied Shinichi to Metropolis?"

To Be Continued

#2 Posted by ekrolo (434 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue man and your commitment to this series continues to inspire me to keep mine going :)

#3 Posted by Tim_Drake4444 (1094 posts) - - Show Bio

The Detective Prince

Chapter 114

An Offer

A time had passed from when he had come to the station. The wait was soon to be over. He looked to the right side of the room in time to see someone walking to the front of the room.

"It's about time."

"Any idea what the opening statements will be?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," Rick replied. "But if I were to say I'd assume it will have something to do with the rates."

"Crime rates?"

"Not just that, but all of our readings for the past month," Rick confirmed. "From our response times to casualties while on the field."

"So what's the point, to go over how to improve?"

"Well stated."

"Not a bad thing to look into on a monthly basis."

"I couldn't agree more," Rick said. "We're now in our second year under this format."

A low tune interrupted their conversation seconds after.

"What is that?"

"It's my phone." Heiji replied removing it from within the top pocket of his jacket.

"An important call?"

"Not sure."

He laid his eyes down to the incoming call, looking back up at him with the nod of his head.

"I had better take this."

"Then go ahead, there's still plenty of time before it is your turn to speak," Rick said. "Feel free to step outside if you'd like."

"Thanks," Heiji said. "I won't be long."

With that he turned for the automatic doors, finding his way off to the side before answering the call.

"Didn't expect to hear from you."

"Where are you?"

"At the police headquarters," Heiji replied. "Why do you ask?"

"Something has come up," Dick replied. "There's something I need you to do."

"Sorry to say but I'm kind of locked in at the moment."

"Alright, when do you think you'll be done with whatever it is you're doing?"

"Can't say," Heiji replied. "There's a little session going on today, how long this meeting is to last is uncertain."

"I see."

"Tell me, what's going on?"

"We've uncovered some new evidence," Dick replied. "There's a certain body we wanted you to examine, a body which is being held at the GCPD examination lab."

"I'll put in a word after we're through here," Heiji said. "What's the name of this victim?"

"Green," Dick replied. "Salomon Green."

"Isn't that the guy who was left with the explosion of his home," Heiji asked. "What do you want me to investigate, there's not much of his remains left as it is."

"Never mind it, I'll give you the details later," Dick replied. "Stay there once you're done with the task you're in, I'll be there in forty five."

"Ok."

"Got to go, I'll see you then."

Further discussion was put on hold for the time being, placing the phone into his jacket before turning back for the doors.

"What could he want me to find?"

This lingered on his mind all the way back into the station. There he rejoined detective Gates who still stood in the same spot, coming to find the meeting had gone underway.

"You're back, good," Rick said still looking ahead. "Because you're next."

"Is that right?"

"The commissioner came over and told me to let you know when you stepped back in."

"What's this guy addressing now?" Heiji asked turning his focus to the front of the room.

"It's as you predicted," Rick replied. "We're now be given the demographics of last month's results."

"Not a bad way to kick things off."

"Not at all."

As blank as things may have been, the investigation would have to wait. The first thing that needed to be done was to get a hold of him as soon as possible. He held the phone to his ear, listening as it rang.

"Come on, answer."

To his fortune the ringing finally came to a close, replaced by his voice from the other end.

"I was expecting you'd call, what took you?"

"Shinichi, where are you?"

"At library," Shinichi replied. "Does it matter?"

"What about Conner," Tim asked. "Is he with you?"

"Not currently," Shinichi said noticing a change in tone. "Is everything alright?"

"I know this may sound crazy, but listen to me," Tim said. "That person you're with, it's not him."

"What do you mean?"

"I just spoke with Conner," Tim informed. "He just returned from a trip which had him in New York for the past two days."

"What?"

"This is no joke."

"If that is true, then who is the person I was with for the past day?"

"We're in the process of figuring that out," Tim replied. "If that imposter reappears just stay casual."

"That won't be hard to do."

"When was the last time you saw him?"

"Last night while at the hotel."

"What were you doing at a hotel?"

"He said it'd be closer than heading out to his place."

"Figures, since he wasn't really who he said he was."

"I don't get," Shinichi said. "The person who came to the manor obviously knew who I was, even Damian for that matter."

"That also must mean they have knowledge of our association."

"That can't be good."

"It's not."

"Is there anyone you have in mind who this guy could be?"

"That's a long list," Tim replied. "But given the circumstances it would appear someone has been watching us."

"That was my initial thought after you brought this information to me."

"Sit tight, you'll be hearing back from me soon."

"Are you certain about all of this," Shinichi questioned. "You don't think he might have been kidding around?"

"Not his style."

"I didn't think so," Shinichi said. "Now that I think about it, there was something off about him."

"What do you mean?"

"Let's just say his decision to go to a hotel won't be the only thing that sticks out."

"Contact me if this mystery guy rejoins you," Tim said. "Right now I'm going to go and look into the matter."

"I'll be waiting," Shinichi said. "Give me an update when you can."

"Of course."

He ended the transmission with the click of a button, lowering the phone down into his pocket.

"How did he take it?" Alfred asked.

"Relatively well considering," Tim replied. "But with all facts known that does raise questions."

"Indeed it does."

"What about the names given to you by Shinichi," Tim asked. "Have you run a search on any of them as of yet?"

"Yes."

"And the results?"

"They're heart attack victims just as he said they would be."

"So the documents given to him must hold some truth," Tim said. "But there must be a catch."

"What do you mean," Damian questioned. "You heard Pennyworth yourself; the information given to Kudo came up to be true."

"But the person who gave him the information clearly wishes for their identity to be left a secret," Tim said. "But who are they, and how did they know we'd be able to help with the situation?"

"It's just like I heard you mention," Damian said. "Someone's probably been keeping an eye on us."

"Maybe, but I highly doubt it," Tim said. "One of us would have noticed by now if that were truly the case."

"Then what do you think?"

"I don't know for sure, but if I had to put my money on something I'd say we're dealing with someone who's had prior knowledge on us."

"I'm inclined to agree," Alfred said. "I think now would be a good time to let Master Bruce in on the situation."

"Yes, he's needs to know," Tim agreed. "Dick does as well."

"Would you like me to make the call?"

"Yes," Tim replied. "There's something I need to attend to."

"What might that be?" Damian asked out of curiosity.

"The number that registered to my phone was Conner's," Tim said. "You wouldn't have even believed it wasn't him after hearing the message."

"So what's your point?"

"I'm going to trace and find where the signal came from," Tim replied. "With any luck that will lead us to the one that we seek."

"And how long do you think it will take before results are reached?"

"If all goes smooth, no more than a day," Tim said in response. "You can bet on it."

He turned for the door, hearing his voice once more after making a move toward the door.

"What about Shinichi?" Alfred questioned

"What about him?"

"In the light of this all shouldn't we be looking to bring him back?"

"No, not yet," Tim replied. "I say we hold off on any actions taken until we know more."

"I can't say I agree with that decision."

"Unless Bruce sees otherwise we'll hold off on that for now."

Knowing there wasn't much more time to spare he reached down for his phone on his way out of the room.

After a short period of waiting his turn had finally come. The speaker from before stepped away from the front of the room. He followed them as they walked, unsure of who it was.

"Is that the lieutenant I was told who would speak first?"

"He actually wasn't able to make it in at this time," Detective Gates answered. "He's currently still monitoring the situation at the mall."

"Must have been a larger stand off than I thought."

"It's bound to be covered on the night news, if you're interested you should be able to get details about the story then."

"Hopefully no one got hurt."

"Not to my knowledge."

It was at that given moment that he saw him heading to the front of the room at the corner of his eyes. He regained his focus for what was to come next.

"Alright everyone," James said upon taking to the left side of the room. "Now that we've got the monthly routine in the books it's time we pressed on to more important matters."

"Will we be discussing the details about today's hold up at the mall?" An unnamed officer asked.

"What about the increasing action towards the east side?" Another questioned.

"We'll get to all of that," James assured. "But first I'd like to touch base with a problem, one which has affected the entire city from since it began."

"Would you happen to be referring to that incident that occurred at the Futures Building sir?" The officer standing directly across asked.

He nodded in confirmation.

"As you all know there's been uproar over the activities of a certain individual," James began. "The person we now have come to know as Kaitou Kid, a highly skilled and deceitful thief."

He paused for a moment, looking through the crowd until he caught sight of Heiji. Once this was accomplished he continued on.

"It is a known fact that Kaitou Kid has no plans on stopping, this is all evident from what we've uncovered in the latest riddle," James said. "It's also a fact we aren't very familiar with him, something that needed to be admitted, which is why we've now looked to a means of support."

"Means of support?" One questioned.

The commissioner simply smiled, looking toward him with a wave of the hand.

"Hattori," James said. "Why don't you come up here and introduce yourself?"

Just as he was to take a step forward he felt a nudge from his left side, glimpsing back to see detective Gates give him the thumbs up.

"Good luck up there."

With that he moved on, finding himself an open lane leading to the front of the room.

"Who is this guy?" One whispered.

"No idea." Another replied.

"Probably someone from the south side division." A third to the right spoke.

All would soon be answered. He arrived to the front of the room soon after, turning to face all those who looked on.

"This is it, can't mess this up."

He removed his hands from his pocket before releasing a friendly smile for all to see.

"It's a pleasure to be with you all here today," Heiji finally spoke. "As difficult as this situation has been I'm here to shed some much needed light."

"What's your name?" A woman asked from across.

"Hattori," Heiji replied with the turn of his cap to the back side. "Heiji Hattori."

"He's a young gifted detective from Japan," James added. "He's been on this case from the start, even before it was revealed who was behind it all."

"I'm sorry for not keeping up with the situation sir," Someone located at the back of the room spoke. "I'm aware this guy is a thief, but where did these heists of his originate?"

"Yea," Another said in agreement. "I hadn't even heard of this guy up until two nights ago."

"Tokyo Japan," Heiji answered. "That's where it all kick started."

"And that's exactly why he has been brought in to assist us in the case." James said.

"I dug up information on this Kaitou Kid this morning," The same woman from before spoke. "It was said that his interests were towards valuable jewels and high priced objects to the eye, so why the change to the tech which was witnessed at the Futures Building?"

"That is something that has yet to be determined," Heiji replied. "But rest assured that very question will soon be answered."

"Got it." She said taking note of this.

"Will there be any more questions?" James asked.

He took the next second to scour the room, finding everyone was intent on moving on to hear what was to be said next.

"Alright then," James said turning back to face him. "The floor's yours."

"Where would you like me to begin?"

"The details of the case," James replied. "Go over everything you've collected up until this point."

"Followed by everything there is to know about Kid," Heiji said turning back to face those standing before him. "Works for me."

Over an hour had passed from the time he had set out. He patiently sat at the end of the bed in wait for his return. Not wishing to sit in complete silence any more he reached for the TV remote. Upon tossing it off to the side after turning it off a knock could be heard at the door.

"It's about time."

He wasted no time in making his way over, opening the door on contact.

"How unusual of you." Kaito said stepping in past him.

"What was that?" Konosuke said closing the door behind him.

"You didn't bother to peep out to see who was outside of the door before opening," Kaito replied. "With our current situation I think that would be a good idea in the future."

"You seem rather up tight."

"Not at all," Kaito assured heading further into the room. "Let's just remember we're being monitored, who knows when that guy may choose to reveal himself."

"If ever."

He stopped once reaching the TV, finding it hard to ignore what was being showcased.

"What in the world are you watching?"

"What do you mean?" Konosuke questioned after coming to his side.

He laid his eyes to the TV as well, finding what appeared to be an angry mountain talking with a smiling bright sun.

"I've heard of trying to help pass the time, but this one's out past the stars," Kaito remarked. "Even for you Jii."

"That must have been on when I turned the television on just now."

"Just as I arrived, what a coincidence." Kaito said with noticeable sarcasm.

"How did things go with your return to the train station?"

"Everything is a go," Kaito replied. "I'll be sure to show you where I want you to be come tonight."

"How early do you plan on heading back?"

"We'll wait until nine," Kaito replied. "Not too early, but still gives us enough time to get everything set."

He took a seat at the end of the bed closest to the balcony door, slouching over with much on his mind.

"You forgot to take your phone with you when you left."

He waited, expecting to receive a response. Feeling a bit concerned he took a step toward him.

"Master Kuroba?"

"So I left my phone, what of it?"

"She called again," Konosuke informed. "Your mother."

"…"

"When do you plan on returning her calls," Konosuke asked. "You haven't spoken with her in almost ten days."

"What exactly am I supposed to tell her," Kaito questioned. "That I'm on some wild safari for an upcoming class project?"

"That could work." Konosuke smilingly replied.

"I highly doubt she'd find that all too convincing," Kaito said. "But if it makes you feel any better I plan on getting back to her at some point here in the next day or so."

"I figured you would," Konosuke said. "Now, why don't you get some rest before tonight's occasion?"

"No thanks," Kaito replied. "Not when there's still work to be done, we still have yet to crack the riddle."

"The riddle?"

It took no more than ten minutes for the speech to come to a close. He stood at his side through the whole process, pleased at what was said in his closing statement.

"Will that be all?"

"Yes," Heiji replied. "I have nothing further to add."

"At ease," James said laying a hand to his shoulder. "You did good, very well at that."

"You said something before."

"What's that?"

"Yesterday," Heiji reminded. "You said this would be the day when we made it official."

"Oh yes," James recalled. "That's right."

"What did you mean by that?"

"You'll know soon enough," James replied. "I'll tell you what, why don't you meet me outside after I'm through here."

"Works for me," Heiji said. "How long are we talking?"

"How does thirty minutes sound?"

"I'll be there."

"Then I'll see you out there."

It was at that given time that they were interrupted by two other officers, both who seemed intent on speaking with the commissioner himself. Seeing this he took this time to make his way to the right from where he stood, heading back into the direction of the door. Halfway through the crowd he felt a tug at his side, turning in time to see him hold out a hand to pat him on the shoulder.

"Good job," Rick congratulated. "Couldn't have done it better myself."

"Thanks."

"I saw you speaking with Gordon just now before leaving the front," Rick said. "What was that about, if you don't mind me asking."

"Just something he plans to tell me," Heiji replied. "He hasn't exactly told me what as of yet."

"So it's one of those things huh," Rick said. "Happens on occasion."

Without warning he turned for the door.

"Hey, where are you going?" Heiji asked watching as he walked.

"Out for a quick break," Rick replied. "There's this little place about a mile from here I like to visit, I'd have asked if you wanted to come along but it would appear business isn't quite done here for you."

"Even if I didn't I still have more to do," Heiji said. "A lot more at that."

"I'm not surprised," Rick said continuing back for the door. "See you around kid."

He walked out past the doors, falling out of sight soon after. In the wake of this Heiji returned to the same wall he had found comfort in upon first arriving, waiting there for the commissioner to wrap up his current discussion.

Over forty minutes had passed from the time the latest information had been gathered. Regardless of what was learned he continued the search of the names given to him.

"How many have you gotten through?"

"Twelve in all," Alfred replied. "And several more to go."

"Any common link between any of them?"

"Once all information is finalized I'll sort them," Alfred replied. "Then we can go down the list to check for similarities."

"How much longer?"

"These things take time," Alfred answered. "I don't have an exact estimation for you."

"Would this go by quicker if someone else were to help?"

"Yes," Alfred replied. "I'll have your father pitch in when he returns, I'm sure this is a matter he'd want to look into himself."

"No doubt."

The sound of the front door opening in the opposite room alerted the two, letting them know someone had entered.

"He's back sooner than expected."

"I'll go out and greet him." Damian volunteered.

Eager to give him the news he wasted no time in making his way out of the room. He crossed paths with him upon reaching the bottom of the staircase.

"You're home earlier than expected."

"Where is everyone else," Bruce asked. "Are you the only one here?"

"Pennyworth is in the bookroom waiting for you."

"Go and let him know I'll be there shortly." Bruce said before pushing past for the stairs.

"I think you had better come now," Damian said. "Something drastic has come up."

He stopped after taking a second step up the stairs, turning back to head for the bookroom.

"Walk with me." Bruce instructed.

He followed him with nothing needing to be said. They arrived into the room soon there after to see him sitting in front of the computer.

"Damian said you had something important to bring to me."

"That is correct," Alfred confirmed. "It seems we have an unexpected problem on our hands."

"What kind of problem?"

"It has to do with yesterday's visitor." Alfred informed.

"Yesterday's visitor?"

"Yes," Alfred confirmed. "The one who Shinichi left with."

"Didn't he leave with Kon?"

"It would appear that wasn't the case."

"Are you saying he left with someone we don't know?"

"In short, yes."

"How can you be sure of this?"

"Drake was the one to bring it into the light for the rest of us." Damian informed.

"Where is he now?"

"He left to investigate the situation further."

"And what of Shinichi?"

"Still in Metropolis sir." Alfred answered.

"Does he know about the situation?"

"Yes," Alfred replied. "He was one of the first to be alerted after we found out."

"Good."

"Don't you think we had better call for his return to Gotham?"

"No."

He was caught by surprise, looking up from the computer screen to face him.

"Why not?"

"Isn't it obvious," Bruce said. "We need to find out who this guy is."

"I understand," Alfred said. "So does this mean you'll be making a trip to Metropolis yourself?"

"No, there's too much going on here as it is," Bruce replied. "I'll send one of the others to look into the situation, we need to handle this quickly while we still have leverage."

"That would probably be a good idea."

"How was this all figured?"

"It would appear Tim received a call from Conner himself," Alfred replied. "How things ensued from there is unknown to me."

"I'll have to speak to him about that myself," Bruce said before looking to change the subject. "I was surprised to find you at work in here, what's this you have in front of you?"

"Names of the victims given to me from Shinichi," Alfred replied. "Those who suffered heart attacks."

"How can we be sure any of that information at this point is legit," Damian stated. "After all the source from which it came is now in question."

"Which is why I've taken the liberty of running a background check on all," Alfred informed. "All have come up clear thus far."

"How many more profiles do you have to go through?" Bruce asked.

"Quite a few," Alfred replied. "If all goes accordingly I should be done by evenings end."

"Don't bother," Bruce said. "I'll take over."

"Nonsense, you have enough to worry about as it is," Alfred said. "Like finding out what this mystery man's intentions are."

"I've already figured that much." Bruce said turning back for the door.

"You have?" Damian asked.

"Yes," Bruce confirmed. "The only thing left to determine is the who and why."

"What do you mean?"

He said nothing in response, only one thing on his mind on his way out past the door.

"No time for an explanation?"

"You know how he can be at times like this."

"You think he really knows what this guy has planned?"

"There was no hesitation in his voice," Alfred replied. "I wouldn't bet against it."

Several minutes had passed from the time he had given his speech. He had found himself out in front of the headquarters, waiting in the place the both of them had agreed they would meet. During the duration of this his phone vibrated from the top pocket in his jacket. Not looking to begin another conversation. The sound of the station doors yards back could clearly be heard after opening. He didn't choose to look back, only taking moments for him to sight two officers walk past. It had only been roughly ten minutes from the time he had found a spot outside, surprised at the sudden sound of someone stepping up to his left side.

"I had a feeling you wouldn't be hard to find."

"You're earlier than I thought you'd be," Heiji said facing him. "I thought for sure you'd be in there for at least another ten minutes."

"We finished early," James replied. ""Which was good since we all have work to attend to."

"That can't be stressed enough."

"You've done very well til now, well enough to gain my praise along with those who have gotten the chance to work with you during this short time."

"I try to do my best."

"I've noticed," James said. "Which is why I've asked you here."

"I'm listening."

"I'd like to make you an offer."

"An offer?"

To Be Continued