Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Thunderbolts #13 Deep Tension

For more information on characters click here for the character list thus far

Missed Last Issue - Click Here to Catch Up

No Caption Provided

Scourge’s Headquarters, Somewhere in Colorado

The figure dressed in demonically themed armour faced back and forth, as the two blacked out figures on the plasma screen on the wall watched him with interest. Picking up his bo-staff, he pressed a button on the centre point, and watched as it was shrunk down, before being absorbed by his armour.

“As you have just witnessed, the heroes and villains who went to Genosha to combat the Red Skull have returned, but something is wrong, it as if they have been inverted.” The figure on the left stated, its voice distorted by a computerised filter.

No Caption Provided

“I still don’t understand how these events directly affect the Thunderbolts.” Scourge murmured, as he ran his hand over a set of gleaming synthetic diamonds. “I don’t understand why we need to forward the termination action against the Thunderbolts.”

“If people like the Avengers and X-Men can be inverted, then how can we trust criminals who change their allegiance on a whim?” The second man on the screen announced. “With the threat of corruption inside the CSA we can’t afford to trust the Thunderbolts.”

“If however, you can find evidence of the corruptions source, then we will think about postponing the kill order.” The first man announced, as Scourge shrunk the set of diamonds on the table, before slotting them into his armour. “If you can’t do either in the next 48 hours, we will bring in another agent, one who is far less sympathetic about your precious Thunderbolts.”

“I understand,” Scourge sighed, as he turned away from the screen. “Your orders will be done.”

Roxxon Experimental Fuel Station, Oregon

Valarie Cooper stood at the edge of the shaft, as Atlas shot out of the hole, the sonic orb in his hand containing several injured workers. Placing the orb down, he absorbed the hard sound energy, releasing the men he had rescued.

“That’s the last of them.” Erik stated, “The rest have already been converted by the G.L.O.B. Nightshade is working on a catalyst to break up the creature, but looking at the yield she’s managed to synthesize it may not be enough to destroy it.”

“Is it possible for us to synthesize more on the surface and ship it down to her?” Valarie asked, as medics shepherded the rescue workers away from the edge of the shaft.

“Maybe, but we’ve already spent two days trying to contain this thing.” Erik told her. “We’re really struggling to keep it away from the surface, I don’t think we can hold it for more than a few more hours if the catalyst fails.” He added, as a massive shape appeared behind her, a length of chain clad in its hand.

“Then I guess we have no choice.” Valarie sighed, as she turned to the massive figure. “We need your input.”

No Caption Provided

“You can count on me.” The figure stated, as he pushed past Valarie and moved into the glare of the lights arranged around the shaft entrance. “I’m at your service Ma’am.”

The mass of living liquid splashed against the sonic barricade like a storm surge, before retreating a few steps back. With a hiss it surged forward again, focusing its attention on the centre of the barricade, the force of the blow cracking the barricade. With a grunt, Melissa took a few steps back, before throwing up another barrier as the G.L.O.B smashed through the first barrier, and ricocheted off the new barricade.

“Abe tell me the catalyst is ready!” Melissa screamed, as the liquid creature bumped off the screen again, a tiny hole forming. With a hiss, the G.L.O.B began to squeeze through, thick drops of black stinking liquid dropped onto the concrete floor.

“I have no idea what Roxxon was thinking when they created this Genetically Liquid Organic Bio-Synthesizer, it’s whipped out half their staff and transformed them into fuel.” Abe announced over the radio link. “If this fails, then we may have to resort to Plan B and close off the mine-shaft.”

“Let’s hope we don’t have to go that far.” Melissa answered, as she summoned up another sonic wall, before bolting into the open door where Rock Python stood, a bolas in his hand. With a hiss, the G.L.O.B smashed through, just as Curtis flung the bolas at the liquid creature, before ripping out the control matrix, causing the door to slam shut, the sound of a muffled explosion radiating from the other side.

“That won’t hold it.” Rock Python lamented, as he and Songbird moved to the elevator, and called for the car to arrive.

“Well we have enough catalyst for three flachettes tipped with the chemical.” Abe announced over the radio. “Estimates show that should be enough to reduce the G.L.O.Bs mass by 30%, maybe enough to remove the computer core that’s powering the enzyme exterior layer.” He announced, as he loaded the first flachettes into the MACH Vis armour’s wrist launcher.

“We may not have enough even to do that.” Nightshade stated. “The G.L.O.B is increasing in size every minute. At this rate we may need twenty kilos of the stuff by the time we get into position.” She added, as the door buckled and broke, the hinges rattling as stinking black liquid dripped through.

“Where is that elevator?” Rock Python wheezed, as he jabbed at the button over and over again as the creature got closer.

No Caption Provided

“Mel hang on we may have something that can help.” Abe announced, as Melissa threw up a sonic orb around the G.L.O.B, only for the construct to crack almost immediately, as the liquid creature sloshed around inside in an attempt to escape from its confinement. With a rattling shriek, the creature busted out, its form shaking slightly as it lashed out with a tongue of black liquid, the tendril wrapping around Melissa’s arm. With a scream of agony, Melissa retaliated by forming a sonic coating over her arm, the construct expanding slightly to push the G.L.OBs appendage off her.

“We can’t hang on Abe!!” Mel yelled, as she looked at the painful burn on her arm. With a soft ping, the doors of the elevator opened up, causing Melissa to turn round to see a bald man dressed in a blue jumpsuit, holding a ball and chain.

“Crusher Creel?” Melissa gasped, before narrowing her eyes. “If the G.L.O.B wasn’t bad enough, now we have to deal with you too.”

“I’m here to help.” Creel grunted, as he eyed the G.L.O.B and dropped his ball and chain. “Doctor Cooper called me in to deal with this thing, I already told your nerds upstairs why I’m here and they gave me this.” He announced, as the Glob surged forward, only to receive a swift punch, the blow causing the impact site to solidify and chip off, before showing Melissa and Curtis the flachettes. “I got enough mass to deal with this thing for good.” He added, as he leapt at the G.L.O.B and grabbed it, the skin chipping off to reveal a sensor node with trailing tendrils. Squirming the machine tried to back off, only to be crushed underfoot by the Absorbing Man. “Problem dealt with, I’m just happy to help.”

“What happened to you?” Melissa asked, as she threw a sonic bubble up around the machine part of the G.L.O.B.

“It’s a long story, and you’ve been underground for a while.” Creel muttered, as Rock Python looked him up and down. “Let’s just say the whole world has been spun of its axis and nothing will be the same again.”

The remains of the G.L.O.B were loaded into a van emblazoned with the Project Pegasus logo, as the Thunderbolts were brought some military rations. Only Erik and Creel didn’t eat, their powers sustaining their bodies, each one staring the other down. Unbeknownst to them, and all the additional security the group was being watched from the bluff that overlooked the mine.

“Crusher?” The woman asked, as she tightened the tie of the overcoat she wore. “What are you doing with them?”

“Hurts doesn’t it.” A condescending voice announced from behind her. Turning the woman found herself staring into the demonic mask of Scourge. “Betrayed by a lover Titania? You can relax don’t worry I’m not here to harm you.” He added, as he pushed past her to look down at the Thunderbolts. “In fact I think I can be of great assistance to you.”

No Caption Provided

“What do you mean?” Titania snarled, as she knocked Scourge over and narrowed her eyes.

“You have issues to settle about with your husband,” Scourge announced, as he crouched down on all fours as he looked out over the bluff, “and I have my orders to terminate the Thunderbolts. Alone we can’t deal with all of them, but together we stand a better chance at gaining success. All I need to know is do we have an accord?”

“If it means that I find out what those Thunder-Jerks did to my Crusher,” Titania snarled, as she put her hands on her hips, “then we have a deal.”

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ImpurestCheese
arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

hmmmmm Taste like chicken and makes me wonder what is for desert....? I think I could sit a spell and wait for the next dish...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ImpurestCheese
arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lmao just my way of saying very nice read lol

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@waezi2:Yep, it's only a three part arc (hopefully) so don't expect the Absorbing Man to join the team...

@arthurkerr:Oh thanks

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@impurestcheese: understandable. He is too main-stream.

... Unlike Titania that's only used to fight She-Hulk...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@waezi2: Neither of them will be part of the Thunderbolts. That said after the next arc 'Seeing Red' a chilling new member will be joining the team

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nice to see Titania being put to more use here.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@ms-lola: Yep, expect a big fight scene soon

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

way behind in these

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImpurestCheese
stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: I did not read AXIS. That's about the time I got waay behind on my comics reading. Absorbing Man is always good. He's like the Wrecking Crew, everyone deals with him at some point.

I see in the comments you say a chilling new member will join the team. Blizzard, right?

That's one difference I've noticed betwen DC and Marvel. DC has like 20 freeze powered villains, whereas Marvel basically just has Blizzard.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@stumpy49er: Ah cool (lol) and yes I noticed that the Absorbing Man was the only character inverted by the AXIS event who didn't get any attention.

As for ice villains...Marvel has Frostbite,Coldheart (Deceased), Yuki Onna, Icemaster and Cold War as well as Blizzard