ASPECT: Scarecrow Pt. 2 (FINAL)

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I have seen worms fall from the eyes of babies.

Seen fire recite Amis and watched cancer roll down the main street in an Audi. I have created worlds of fear; streets and alleys of terror and now, here, I lay before my greatest creation; fear turned to good. The weakest of emotions turned to strength, there, in the shadows, its fists raining down upon the unimaginative flotsam of my mind. He had tried to hurt me, to desecrate me but my mind would not allow it. My mind at war with itself.

It dresses in the skin of the bat, my saviour, the veil of fear itself.

And he is beautiful.

“Are you all right?”

His hand is reached out to me and it is like stone. It is unwavering and strong while my whole body feels like glass. I let him take my hand, scared it will shatter within his, but it doesn't; my creation is gentle in its firmness.

“The police are on their way. You'll be safe now.”

And he flies away, swallowed up into the night, pulled on a lifeline and taunting me with his final words.

You'll be safe now.

Like rescuing a fish from the water and leaving it upon the dry, dry ground.

You'll be safe now.

Like pulling the wings off flies on a mountain of salt.

You'll be safe now.

Like the last words in a childs ears of an indecent father.

You'll be safe now.

He knows me, my creation, dressed in the cowl of terror as he is; draped in that cape of horror as he does. How could he not? He is me.

Like me, he is empty. He fills himself with superstition and fear; avarice and bravado, but he knows me.

He knows I am empty.

I have not filled myself with his rage, his power; I have filled myself with the rain of this city; the stench of its gutters; the filth of its corruption.

I have had my world thrust upon me, created by my filth addled mind, but leaving me devoid of feeling... empty of purpose.

I am a scarecrow. An empty warning to the carrion mob.

Crucified upon the fields, my dead flesh picked clean.

I am hollow. I am fear. I am a maker of dread worlds.

I am the Scarecrow.

I am.

And I am coming for you Batman...

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Dear Lord O_O

I remember being so impressed by the first part of this, was a really unnerving piece of work - beautifully written, but so, SO creepy. Am always skeptical when people come back to a story after so long, is always a worry that it might not quite feel the same as the initial installment? Pffft, no such worries here though.

This is absolutely fantastic cariad. My only criticism is that it is the final part, since I have enjoyed both parts of this so much! You have a real knack for putting yourself in the character's mind, it shows through here more than ever, and this Scarecrow series reads like poetry.

What a little treat! :):):)x

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Only the beginning, my dear... only the beginning. Thank you for suggesting this character.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@feebadger: Oooh now that sounds intriguing! Dare I hope for more??? :D

Oh and you're welcome, I knew you would handle it well and you still pleasantly surprised me.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Feel free to suggest any more that might come to mind, missus :)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@feebadger: You're looking for more characters to write? Excellent! Well, I know you specified you wanted a villain for this one, are there any prerequisites for the next? :)

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: No, anyone. I have a massive project planned after this one, but it will take a while, so anything to keep me ticking along would be great.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@feebadger: A massive project you say? Oooh, do tell! (Unless it's secret in which case, oh my gosh don't tell, DON'T TELL!) Hmm....I'm enjoying your female characters a lot reading through Eclipso, so maybe someone like Batwoman or Harley? Would love to see your take on other DC females :)