Advice for writing Fan-Fic?

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By Hawkeye446

I like to write and the idea of writing about certain character just came to mind.

I was wondering what advice people may have for me?

Thanks.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123
  1. For the love of all things sacred, try your best to keep punctuation and grammar errors down to the absolute lowest minimum possible.
  2. Be sure you're not writing anyone out of character.
  3. Be sure you're actually having fun with who and what you write.

Good luck!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By batkevin74

Just write dude! Just space it, put in paragraphs and have fun. If it's great people will comment, if it's rubbish people will comment.

Fan-Fiction is just that

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hawkeye446

@InnerVenom123 said:

1. For the love of all things sacred, try your best to keep punctuation and grammar errors down to the absolute lowest minimum possible.
  2. Be sure you're not writing anyone out of character.
  3. Be sure you're actually having fun with who and what you write.

Good luck!

1. I love to use sporadic commas, good advice!

2. That is the soul reason I want to write it in the first place :D

3. I'm sure I would!

@batkevin74 said:

Just write dude! Just space it, put in paragraphs and have fun. If it's great people will comment, if it's rubbish people will comment.

Fan-Fiction is just that

I love paragraphs! :D Sorry, I just meant I see people not using them as much as they should and I end up losing where I was.

Good points, thanks!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

Make sure if you write a fan fiction about Rulk, his feats are of an adequate level. You know? He should almost kill any character he fights with one hand in less than a paragraph. If you don't do this, each time a person reads your fan fiction he will jump from the screen and punch their lights out. 

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hawkeye446

@SC said:

Make sure if you write a fan fiction about Rulk, his feats are of an adequate level. You know? He should almost kill any character he fights with one hand in less than a paragraph. If you don't do this, each time a person reads your fan fiction he will jump from the screen and punch their lights out.

You can only imagine how much I am laughing... Bahahah!

Ahh, Rulk, how I love thee...

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Just write whatever you want to write, make retcons if necessary. Put spaces between paragraphs (I know from experience, one giant paragraph doesn't attract a reader's attention) HAVE FUN and WRITE ABOUT SOMETHING EXCITING! If you write an exciting character in a boring manner, that turns people off from your work. BE EXCITING AND HAVE FUN!

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By PrinceIMC

If you're writing original characters give them flaws, don't make them better than everyone else at everything. And don't get too personally invested in the characters. I mean love your characters but the best stories are about conflict and overcoming adversity so if they have an easy time with everything there is no conflict.

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

My only suggestion is to go to your happy place when you get down to the writing. Whether it be sitting by yourself quietly and writing or jamming out to the latest rock song you happen to like. (I use rock because I personally love to write to it lol)

IF you're anything like other writers that I know, including myself, your gonna scrap a lot of material. Don't hesitate to erase a whole paragraph just because it doesn't seem to fit to you.

Try your best. Look at what other people are writing for ideas when your stuck.

But most of all. Do not let writer's block deter you. If you get frustrated take a step back evaluate the story and where you want it to go. Have a goal for it. Then when you feel like you wont needlessly scrap the whole thing (Which I have done on countless occasions and regretted it later.) Come back and write again.

Also someone once told me something I still find a valuable bit of insight, "The mark of a true writer is that you wont always like what you write. You might even hate it. But sometimes that is your best work."

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Try your best.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

1. Have fun writing! You want to enjoy writing these stories, so as long as you really love writing, then your stories will always be enjoyable to write!

2. Do research on the characters. When I started writing fan fiction for the X-Men, I had to read many older comics of the X-Men to understand where they are coming from. As long as you have a great understanding of the characters you write, then your stories will be great!

3. Always check for grammatical errors. When I write, I tend to have so many grammatical errors, so I try to fix those as much as possible so that way readers won't be distracted when they are reading your work.

4. Focus on the character development. Even if the main comics never really explored the characters' growth or development, you can always explore more about the characters and write it the way you want it. Whenever I'm writing a relationship between Colossus and Kitty Pryde, I always try to explore their relationship on a deeper level than the comics ever did because I wanted to explore their relationship on a deeper level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

1) Don't beat dead horses- some stuff's already been way overdone, it doesn't really need more attention. For example, Jean Grey manifesting the Phoenix force and then becoming Dark Phoenix and then dying. If you're going to write your own take on a story, try and come up with something a bit more innovative.

2) Get to know your characters- characterization can make or break a story, fanfic or otherwise, but in fan fiction depicting a character poorly stands out twice as much. That's not to say that characters can't become further defined or developed (ideally they should be, really), one just has to make sure it works with what's already been written about the characters in question.

That's really all I can think of for now. Good luck!