Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

5th Column Comics: Peacekeeper #16

For More 5th Column Comics check out the Library

Missed Last issue? Check it out Here!

The 'Sunbird', 'Blue Docks' Retail Park

It’s not often that I get to just relax these days, between being Indigo Cities number one hero, yes I know the Response have more popularity but I haven’t seen those idiots do anything useful yet, and working on Sarah’s genetic condition, so today is all about me, and my housemates Clive and Mayday enjoying what Indigo City can offer. The only work related thing we need to do is pick up two mice for mammalian trials on the carrier gene replacement theory that may just save Clive’s daughter. And the Sunbird, a former ferry turned floating shopping centre, is just the place to go to find such items, not to mention pick up a light lunch as even people like us need to eat.

“So what about you and Torres.” Mayday asks, as she pulls the wide-rimed hat down over her tattooed scalp.

“Why do you ask?” I reply, as I push a garlic mushroom around the plate, watching as Clive’s eyes follow its progress.

“No reason.” Mayday answers, as she turns to look behind her. Following her gaze I learn why she brought it up, there dressed in jeans and a ‘Quart of Venom’ band shirt is my ICPD contact Marisol Torres. Spotting me she waves, before walking over a big smile on her face.

“Hey.” I say in a shy voice, one that is answered by a snort from Clive.

“Hey, I heard about you defending the slums, I just wanted to check if you were okay?” Torres asks as she takes an empty chair.

“Yesterday’s bad guy is yesterday’s scars.” I answer bluntly, as I try to hide my earlier shyness. “But thanks for asking, it’s more than my housemates did. Clive, Mayday this is Torres.” I state, as Clive grabs the garlic mushroom and swallows it.

“So you’re the Torres.” Mayday purrs, as she kisses Torres on the cheek. “Cassie talks about you a lot, in fact it’s her second favourite topic.”

“What’s first?” Torres asks.

“Why are those idiots getting more press-time then me?” Clive grunts, before taking a deep sniff, his eyes narrowing followed by a faint vinegar stink on his breath. “Can you guys smell that? It’s like plastic burning mixed with rotting wood.”

“No but I can hear and feel something that’s slowly tearing this ship apart.” Mayday adds, as she gets to her feet and walks to the front of the restaurant. As she leaves I can suddenly feel something rattling my bones, something that nearly everyone in the restaurant seems to be experiencing. Something that leads everyone to the shop front, just as a rent-a-cop goes flying past, his flight aided by a focused sonic blast.

“So much for a day off.” I moan, as the guard’s assailant emerges to reveal himself dressed in a grey flight suit, his face covered in a helmet with an insect like visor and what looks like a pair of insectile wings sprouting from his back. Shivering, the man’s wings vibrate and an ear-splitting shriek rings around the hull of the ship, causing the majority of the guests to drop to the floor.

“Friend of yours?” I ask Clive, the scientist shaking his head, although I don’ know if he actually heard what I said over the background noise. With a sigh I take a step out into the sonic onslaught, and what as the assailant stops vibrating his wings and glares at you. “I don’t know who you are, or what you’re trying to do, but I’m ordering you to stand down and surrender to the relevant authority.”

“Names Killa-Hurtz,” The man hisses, in a voice that sounds like a hundred crickets calling at once. “Because I’m a killer, and because this is going to hurt. As for why, well let’s just say my doctor says if I want to keep these sweet enhancements she made to my carrier genes, then I have to level a few places, and then kill this Peace-Lily chick when she comes to stop me!”

“It’s Peacekeeper!” I snap, as I watch Killa-Hurtz begin to vibrate his wings again, already charging up his sonic abilities. “I’m here, but before we start this you will let everyone leave so they don’t get…” The rest of my words are drowned out by a focused blast of sonic energy, one that sends me slamming into the stairs that lead up to the deck.

“I don’t care about them, all I need to do is keep it loud and proud until your bones liquefy.” Killa-Hurtz, as I lash out with a kick, my foe dodging left just like I hoped he would, especially since I had telegraphed my attack, his movements sending my boot into his wing, the blow momentarily silencing him. Getting to my feet I throw a punch at his face, my fist striking the hardened visor with a clunk, knocking him off balance.

“You want me?” I ask, in a voice designed to infuriate him. “Come get me.” I add, as I dash towards the down stairs and sprint down, into what had been a car deck, but had now been converted into a DIY megastore. And like a good little hitman he follows me inside, where I can hopefully keep him busy long enough for me to take him out. But to do that I need to do some additional shopping, and fast, if Killa-Hurtz gets too bored he may head back and try sinking the Sunbird right here and now. The first stop is a quality pair of helmet mounted ear-defenders, something that should help me cancel out some of the interference that Killa-Hurtz is throwing out.

“Where are you!!?” Killa-Hurtz booms, his voice sounding loud even with the ear defenders on. I don’t answer, instead snatching up a bottle of white-spirit as I head for the power tool section. Reaching my destination, I pick up a nail-gun and a blowtorch just as Killa-Hurtz spots me, and fires of a sonic wave powerful enough to send the assorted power saws flying towards me. Ducking behind the aisle I narrowly avoid a flying chainsaw, and poke my head round before firing a volley of nails at Killa-Hurtz, the majority slashing holes in his wings, before I take cover again.

“That hurt, I was going to go easy on you, but you’ve forced my hand!!” Killa-Hurtz booms, as I slosh some white spirit on the floor. Poking my head round the corner I see him unfurl a second set of wings. “Up until now I’ve been playing unplugged!!” He roars, as I drop the lit blowtorch, and bolt from my hiding space, only to be caught by a sonic blast so powerful it’s sending the shelves flying. Slamming into the back wall, I watch as Killa-Hurtz advances, just as the spirit I spilled catches light, wisps of smoke drifting up towards the cealing.

“Any last words?” My attacker buzzes, as I bring out the nail-gun, and level it at my assialnt’s face.

“Here comes the rain again.” I answer, as the sprinklers activate, water drowning the room as I get to my feet. “Why is it insects don’t fly when their wings are wet?” I ask, as Killa-Hurtz vibrates his wings, water flying off but almost no sound coming out. Before he can answer I aim a snap kick into his chest, the blow sending him sprawling onto his back. “Now stay quiet until the ICPD turn up.” I order, as I head out of the store to where Torres and the others are waiting.

“It all went quiet.” Mayday states. “I assume you took down whoever that guy was.”

“He’s knocked out after a passing shower.” I reply. “Please tell me that…”

“…I called my superiors, they are sending a team over along with a CBTF liaison to process whoever he was.” Torres answers, just as I double over in pain from my back stress. “Are you okay?” She asks, as she puts a reassuring hand on my back.

“Don’t do that.” I whisper, as I fight the sudden rush of endorphins surging through my bloodstream. “I’m not comfortable when you do that.”

“I didn’t mean anything by that, I’m not trying to…” She stops and backs away, a horrified look on her face. “I’m not a lesbian if that’s what you think.”

“Well I may be!” I snap, my words causing tears to come to my eyes. “I mean, I don’t know what I mean. But until I do stay away from me!!” I scream, before I run towards the stairs, what I just said to Torres hurts more than any damage that Killa-Hurtz could do to me.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ImpurestCheese
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@impurestcheese: I know it was just "added to the library." I'm very behind on my 5CC reading.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ImpurestCheese
Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Awesome stuff.

Keep up the good work.

^_^

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I knew I read this yesterday! Curses! Almost got all of them. Ah, well.

This was an interesting issue. Appreciated the reference there to the slums. And what I'm definitely interested in is the ending, there. Glad you delved into it a little deeper. Curious as to how it will all play out. And I really enjoyed the whole Killa Hurtz sequence.

Awesome work. Awesome issue. Looking forward to more.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@alexander_wolffe: Thanks for the comment. The Killa-Hurtz stuff was fun to write and plan in my combat coreography because it involved me being blasted by a massive air-boat fan. And yes, this arc delves into the Torres/Williams (Gaia) relationship

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By TommytheHitman

It’s not often that I get to just relax these days, between being Indigo Cities number one hero, yes I know the Response have more popularity but I haven’t seen those idiots do anything useful yet,

Give it time. The line made me laugh.

Like always, seeing Peacekeeper fightwas pretty awesome and this is probably one of my favourite issues from the Gaia/Peacekeeper series so far.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: Thanks, I always try to add something for continuity. And the fight scene really highlights how it's very much brain power that gives Gaia/Cassie the win. Expect this to be turned on its head when Cassie has to fight the Shrine Maiden and her bodyguard El-Bugeisha.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@impurestcheese: pretty cool chapter Imp. I must say that you have a talent for naming your villains.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImpurestCheese
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Yesterday’s bad guy is yesterday’s scars. I'm so dark and mysterious, a lone wolf with cryptic memes :)

“Names Killa-Hurtz,” The man hisses, in a voice that sounds like a hundred crickets calling at once. “Because I’m a killer, and because this is going to hurt. It would be about then the Quoll, RIP, would've made so many jokes and then ripped his throat out :)

And nice use of a nail gun in combat

“I’m not a lesbian if that’s what you think.” SAW THAT COMING! Add to the pain and confusion of the lead character, never give'em a moment ior if you do you rip it away again quick. Pain & drama makes good reading, horrible life for your character but good reading :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@batkevin74: Yeah that's a reference to Wolfe. Consider Killa-Hurtz the lame villain of the month, although Quoll may have had problem with the sheer sound force he was producing due to his animals senses.

And yes Cassie needs to suffer to make her even more motivated