5th Column Comics: The Response #7

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Sliced Bread:Part 7

The all powerful Wind Duster! The mighty Freight Train! The enigmatic Dark Arrow! Formed together due to events that are better left unspoken and lead by the brain power of CBTF Director, Morris Pfeifer and Head of Public Relations, January Morgan, they are the Response! The World's 'Greatest' Superheroes!

PREVIOUSLY ON.... THE RESPONSE!

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/5th-column-comics-the-response-6-1678468/#13

There's the link to the last issue. Go read it yourself you lazy bum.

5 seconds after last issue...

No Caption Provided

"Oh god!" Wind Duster screamed while running around in a circle like a mentally challenged puppy chasing its tail. "OH GOD! I..." He stopped, his body shaking. The usual gold area of his mask covered in red dabs of blood. "...I THINK I GOT SOME IN MY EYE!"

By Wind Duster's side, his teammate, Freight Train was stood completely motionless, blood splattered across his chest like a two year old had spent their whole day finger painting on the walls. His mouth hung open in a state of shock... his eyes were glossy... it was like his mind had powered down.

"Will you calm down?!" Alan Maystrike stepped forward and slapped Wind Duster right across the face, stopping him dead in his tracks. Mark stared down at him with wide eyes... like he was coming out of a trance. Maystrike moved over to Freight Train. "You're both idiots!" He snapped before cracking Freight across the cheek. It did absolutely nothing and instead ended with Maystrike holding his hand in pain. It's what he got for slapping an invulnerable Carrier.

"What did you do?!" Wind Duster shrieked while staring at the headless body of the Axe-Man bleeding on the pavement. He turned towards Alan who was busy clicking his fingers in an attempt to snap Chuck Hawser out of his makeshift coma. "What did y-"

"Hey, guys!" Wind Duster and Alan turned towards the speaker, a somewhat overweight cameraman pointing a video camera right at the scene before him. "This is supposed to be fimed... right?"

It was of course THIS moment when the two 'superheroes' realized that the whole debacle was being broadcasted live to every TV screen in Indigo City. Alan and Wind Duster both glanced at each other...

PWOP!

In the blink of an eye, Wind Duster teleported the three 'heroes' out of the area, leaving behind the body of the villain they'd been fighting.

Carrier Blight Task Force Headquarters...

PWOP!

Freight Train's brain reactivated the second his body's dna was etched back together from thin air. In all honesty it was like somebody had flicked a lightswitch on... one second there was absolutely NO activity... next second it was shining brightly.

"OH GOD!" He lurched forward and vomited large green chunks of rematerializing good over the red carpet beneath his feet. Behind him, Alan was busy brushing dust off his outfit... while Wind Duster patted his number 1 fan on the back.

"You'll get used to it..." He muttered, referring to a person's body being destroyed and recreated in a matter of seconds. "...hopefully." Around the trio, people walked by completely calm, each attending to their own personal business and all of them ignoring the costumed idiots that had just commited an execution on live TV. People working at the CBTF were used to strange, unnatural occurences. Freight Train slowly stood up, his height and muscle decreasing down to their normal size. He panted slightly, liquid still dripping from his mouth.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!"

Morris Pfeifer, accompanied by several armed guards stepped into the lobby where the World's Greatest 'Heroes' had spawned. He was dressed head to toe in his bulky, green Photon combat armour with several weapons primed for firing... and the guards by his side were wielding what seemed to be a type of blue energy rifles. Each of the guards had their weapons trained on one of the Response... and still the vast majority of employees simply ignored the event happening before them. Pfeifer marched forward, his feet causing a large clanking noise on the ground. Cannons on his shoulders aimed towards Alan as he reached forward and gripped the Ex Marine by the throat.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!"

Maystrike clutched at the metal hand clamped around his throat, he tried desperately to pull the hand away while gasping for breath.

"Woah! Pfeifer!" Wind Duster took a step towards the giant armoured Director only to be yelled at by the guards.

"Stay out of this, Mark!"Pfeifer snapped before dropping Maystrike to the ground, the murderer coughed and gasped to reclaim the breath he'd lost from the heap on the floor.

"Your name's 'Mark'?" Freight Train asked as Pfeifer plucked Maystrike up from the ground by the back of his suit. His shoulder cannons lowering.

"You're both dismissed."Pfeifer growled before walking towards the elevator. The guards lowered their weapons and quickly followed after their leader.

"What... what are you doing with Alan?" Freight Train asked, a dumb founded look on his face.

Pfeifer ignored the question. "Be here tomorrow."He snapped. As the elevator doors began to close he activated his suit's loudspeakers. "Tomorrow... you're both going to be the World's Greatest Heroes."

DING!

Pfeifer's Office...

"Hi, Perry...." Pfeifer said into the intercom by his desk. "Hold all my calls."

Maystrike was tied to a chair... thick ropes around his wrists and legs. He'd been in this position before... quite a few times actually. Ever since he was a child he'd learned a dozen different ways to break out of such entrapments. But at the moment.... breaking out wasn't going to help the situation in the slightest. Stood before him, Pfeifer cracked his knuckles and pulled his shirt's sleeves up. Maystrike had encountered many people similar to Pfeifer.... in the man's own mind, he was the most powerful figure on the planet. Completely untouchable... he was Scalphunter, Dirty Harry and Robert Downey Junior all rolled into one.

In comparison to Maystrike he was nothing more then a Kindegarten Teacher.

"So..." Pfeifer stood before the bound Maystrike with a look of utter irritation on his face. "...why'd you do it?"

Maystrike cracked his neck to the side.... and allowed his eyes to fill with dark, purple energy.

Several Weeks Ago....

"They're not going to be the World's Greatest Heroes. They're going to be EXACTLY what we need."

4 screens, each one containing the image of one of the Carrier Blight Task Force's secret managers circled the room. In the middle of each of the screens stood Morris Pfeifer, dressed in his military uniform, hands cuffed behind his back as the people that gave HIM orders prepared to explain their plans to him.

"Then... forgive me, councilman." He said, trying to sound more confident then he actually was. "But I have no idea what you're telling me to do."

The black outline of the councilman shifted slightly as the man sat in Washington DC adjusted some files on his desk.

"The Carrier Blight Task Force is the last line of defense for the Planet in case an event similar to the Great Impact ever rears its head. The Task Force was designed at a time when these people.... these Carriers were feared by the general populace.... but now that's changed. Ever since New York, people have started to realize that Carriers have the potential to be... GOOD."

Pfeifer nodded slightly. "I know." He muttered. "...I just don't understand why you're telling me this."

This time it was the council member to the right that spoke. "Simply put... we want to cash in on this. It's no secret that the ratings for the CBTF have somewhat... decreased ever since the Great Impact ended.... and we think that forming a Public Team of Carriers and Humans will show everyone that we understand how the general citizen of Indigo City thinks."

"So..." Pfeifer was somewhat confused. "...you don't want me to put together a team of the World's Greatest Heroes?"

One of the council members chuckled slightly.

"God, no. Director Pfeifer... we don't want a team of honorable heroes that can ACTUALLY save the World." The image shimmered revealing the face of the British Prime Minister. "We want a team of idiots with flashy powers."

"You want a team of mascots?" Pfeifer asked.

"Exactly! That's EXACTLY what we want!"

Pfeifer frowned slightly. "I'll see what I can do..."

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Haha I liked this chapter a lot! Freight Train always gets to me lol

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: Hmm looks like DBTF's Blackridge divisions have something to do now, namely keep an eye on Maystrike. Killing someone in public must have some backlash, no one else not even Wolffe or Lex, could get away with that.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@tommythehitman: great and funny chapter Tommy. Mark running around and screaming was hysterical to say the least. Finding out that they're just a bunch of mascots to the CBTF is going to be a let down for these guys though :(

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightofthechronicle: Well... I don't think any of them (except for Freight Train) is really going to care.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@tommythehitman: "You want a team of mascots?" Pfeifer asked.

He should've asked Rocking Roll :)

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Alexander_Wolffe

The whole first half was hilarious. It was funny line after funny line. Enjoyed that a lot.

And I also liked the little Easter egg to the Avengers with the meeting between Fury (Pfiefer) and the people behind Shield (CBTF).

Good issue.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnjo719 Freight Train is probably my second favourite of the new characters turning up in the Response.

@impurestcheese Yeah. He's... he's kind of an asshole.

@batkevin74 I doubt Pfeifer would want Rocking Roll standing up in front of crowds and trying to inspire everyone.

@alexander_wolffe Thanks. I try to keep the series funny and hopefully it gives you guys a chuckle when reading. Yeah I was hoping some people would notice that reference, that scene was kind of one of the things that I've wanted to include for awhile and it also gives some good details on why the Response was formed.