5th Column Comics: The Response #3

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Sliced Bread: Part 3

The all powerful Wind Duster! The mighty Freight Train! And the enigmatic Dark Arrow! Formed together due to events that are better left unspoken and lead by the brain power of CBTF Director, Morris Pfeifer, together they are the Response! The World's Greatest Superheroes!

Carrier Blight Task Force Headquarters, 3 days from now...

"So..." Director Pfeifer said nervously, his hands behind his back in order to hide their shaking appearance. "...why'd you do it?"

Aaron Zdarsky grunted as he tried to break free from his makeshift prison. Being tied to a chair by zipties was no laughing matter. "I don't know what you're talking about." He replied.

"The leak!" Pfeifer snapped, his hands flinging forward and slamming down on his desk. "You're the one that... leaked it." He paused and thought about what he'd just said. "That sounded better in my head." He admitted before sighing and starting the sentence again. "Someone has revealed the existence of the Response to the world, earlier then we wanted... and I have quite a few reasons to think it was you." His words spat out like drops of acid. Violent and corrosive. Burning to the touch.

Aaron let out a yell of anger similar to that of a wounded zebra calling for help. He began shaking his body to the sides, shaking the wooden chair he was tied to with him. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!" He screamed, still shaking the chair with his weight.

"Stop it." Pfeifer ordered. Aaron continued to shake the chair, completely ignoring his ex boss. "Stop it!" Pfeifer leaned forward and gripped the chair's back before attempting to hold it firmly in place, accidentally stumbling forward and almost landing face first inbetween his prisoner's legs.

"Oh." Both Pfeifer and Aaron looked across the room to see Ms Morgan looking at them from the Office door. She held a couple of files in her arm... but her eyes were locked onto the two men before her, one seemingly bound to a chair. "I... I can come back later, sir." She mumbled before quickly turning and dashing out the door.

"Crap! It isn't what you think!" Pfeifer called after her before sighing once more and locking the door.

"...locking the door isn't going to make it look better." Aaron muttered as Pfeifer slowly began to walk towards him.

"Shut up." Aaron winced slightly as the CBTF Director pulled out a chair from the side of his desk and sat down across from his captive. He felt like a prisoner of war that was being held captive for treason... in fact that was exactly what he was. "Now... let's start this again..." Pfeifer said, his voice filled with pure venom. "No more distractions... no more shaking the chair... no more Public Relations managers walking in... WHY. DID. YOU. DO. IT?"

Aaron opened his mouth to protest against the injustice of his situation only to stop when his ears picked up a small clicking noise, like a person clicking their tongue to irritate someone.

"Oh for duck's sake!" Pfeifer screamed upon noticing the office door opening. "The door was locked!" He pointed out as Aaron tried to figure out the words, 'for duck's sake'. "Have some decency!" He snapped.

"Whatever you're doing to your prisoner is no concern of mine, Pfeifer." Alan Maystrike stepped into the room and looked at Aaron with a mocking smirk. "Locking the door doesn't give off the best impression."

Morris Pfeifer carefully stood up from his chair, Maystrike stepped towards him carrying a bag of what seemed to be filled to the brim with bright white dust underneath his arm.

"What do you want?" The Director asked, his fingers twitching slightly like he was completely ticked off.

"I looked through the idiot's locker." Maystrike said, holding the bag in front of his face. "Found a pound of Stardust*."

"You people have NO respect for privacy!" Aaron yelled, Pfeifer glanced at their captive and shook his head at him like he was disappointed.

"I hacked into his email." Maystrike muttered. "Read through the emails he's sent. Looks like he definitely sent knowledge of the Response to the Internet." Pfeifer's eyes blinked several times as he processed the information he'd just been given on a silver platter.

"Wh... you can hack his em-" Pfeifer started to say only for Maystrike to toss the Stardust to the side and grip the Director by the shoulder before staring right into the Director's eyes.

"I think we should keep this covered up." Maystrike instructed. "Put him in jail for the Stardust... and don't even acknowledge the leak." His grip on Pfeifer's shoulder loosened... and the Director rubbed his head.

"You're... you're right." He said before pressing the call button on his intercom. "Take him away." He ordered.

"What?!" Aaron yelled, his voice growing high pitched as several guards marched into the room and placed a pair of power dampening cuffs onto his wrists. "Pfeifer!" He screamed as he was plucked up from his chair by the guards and dragged towards the door. "I didn't do anything!" He yelled, his voice slowly growing lower as he was dragged down the hall. "I didn't do anyth-"

Pfeifer rubbed his head once again and looked around the room. Maystrike had disappeared... like some kind of Ninja.

"Sir?" January Morgan walked into the room and looked at the Director with concern. "Are you alright?"

"I'm... I'm fine..." He grumbled, still looking around the room. Ms Morgan stared at his old glances for a few seconds before coughing slightly to get his attention. "YES, Ms Morgan?!" Pfeifer sounded somewhat agitated. "What's wrong?"

"The Public reveal is tomorrow sir...." She said calmly. "I need you to confirm whether or not we're still revealing the Team at the event."

"Think of something else for tomorrow..." Pfeifer instructed, sitting back down behind his desk. Sweat dripping down his forehead, his eyes darting around from place to place. "I've... I've got something else in mind for the Team."

"But... but what am I supposed t-"

Pfeifer shrugged before switching on his computer to get onto some of the work he was actually being paid to complete.

"Think of something."

*Stardust is a Carrier Drug designed to enhance Carrier Powers while also giving off hallucinations and slight damage to the person's mental stability.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Alexander_Wolffe

I figured it out.

I enjoyed the issue. Again I love Pfiefer's scenes. I'm just 75% sure I figured it out.

Feel bad for Aaron too. And even though Mark is one of my faves I still liked not seein him at all in this issue. It's just nice to see this is about the Response as a whole rather than focus on Wind Duster.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TommytheHitman

@alexander_wolffe: Yeah it's definitely not "The Supporting Characters in Wind Duster" series. Each of these new characters are going to get greatly fleshed out and stand on their own as... failures at being heroes.

What did you 'figure' out?

And yeah. Pfeifer thinks he's like a mixture of Tony Stark and Nick Fury... but in reality he's as skilled as a Supermarket Supervisor.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: Cassie and I called it, looks like we're playing second fiddle to these bunch of morons (The Response not you :-p). Great work as usual, really hope to see more of Wind Duster and his B-List Back up Singers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Thanks! Yeah... you've pretty much summed up the Response in a few sentences.

Next issue will be a mix of Pfeifer, Wind Duster and Freight Train (who seems to be the least developed member of the team so far).

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By ImpurestCheese
waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@tommythehitman: I just realized that you actually made a "superhero-teams are baaaad" story that works. That is very hard. Kudos!

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@tommythehitman: someone needs to give Pfieffer a chill pill (and Maystrike some chloroform)

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Awesome stuff.

Keep up the good work.

^_^

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@tommythehitman: A pound of Stardust! That's a $h!t load of drugs, like dealer type quantity!

Also liking January Morgan, in the absence of Freight Train

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Wonder how he managed to fit it in his locker...