5th Column Comics: Lex Hard #1

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alex Eisenhardt, better known as Lex Hard, was the name flashing on the main screen in this meeting of the CBTF. He had risen to become one of the Task force's most prominent threats in the short time they existed. He wanted power, and he would stop at nothing to seize it. Absolutely nothing.

Ever since that fateful day, dangerous persons known as "carriers" had been at large. All sorts of people had become victims of that lethal gas exuded by those alien objects that day. One of the most dangerous was an ex-soldier turned mercenary turned head of one the world's largest drug Cartels. And he'd decided to set up shop right here in Indigo City. The CBTF had been tasked with his removal, but he was proving a difficult problem to solve.

Lex Hard was posing as a legitimate businessman who was really interested in charity and giving all kinds of free sh!t away. Not to mention the small army of bodyguards he had on payroll that were very willing to shoot at anyone who meant their boss harm. Including the police.

"His known powers include Superhuman strength, Superhuman durability and telekinesis/ telepathy." The leader of the task force informed everyone in the room. "He is the most dangerous and capable Carrier in the city and it is absolutely imperative that he is apprehended."

"Yes, these are all things that we know Commissioner Gordon." Spoke the DA, Laura Taft.

"As I've already told you, and everyone else in this room. There is no new intelligence concerning him. His telepathy is too strong to allow for any undercover operatives to get close to him." Gordon replied pointedly. This was something he'd gone over many times before. It was beginning to become a nuisance.

"And what has he done to warrant such attention? He's a Carrier, but so far we've seen nothing special from him." Asked one of the DA's aides. Gordon didn't even know his name, or why he had high enough clearance to even be on this floor, let alone attending this meeting.

"That is why I've invited you all here today. To see what this individual is fully capable of. For months you've been pestering me to form an assault squad to go after him, and I've tried to refuse. Today you will see why." Gordon replied. Then, almost as if the whole thing had been rehearsed, the screen went black for a few seconds and then turned back on.

This time the screen showed the inside of a tactical assault squad's mobile command unit, filled to the brim with tech and men. The voice of the mission leader could be heard.

"Alright men, remember the objective here is to bring in Alexander Eisenhardt. If we can't bring him in, then we have the all clear to take him out." He reminded his men. "We're going in weapons hot and shooting to kill any armed opposition. Keep in mind that there may be civilians in the building, so please let's not murder any of them." He said with a smirk. With the end of his speech, the men opened up the door to the van and filed out quickly.

It was becoming abundantly clear that the visual the staff back at CBTF was receiving was coming from one of those new "floating" camera things the CBTF R&D department had developed. It was originally supposed to be used for surveillance purposes, but currently it was being used as some sort of news camera for the politicians in the room. The camera followed the men out of the car and into the office building their target was holed up in. They quickly made their way through the lobby after kicking in the door and demanding that "everybody freeze." They were shocked and taken aback to see that everyone in the lobby, including the armed guards, complied. The guards gave up their weapons easily and then allowed themselves to be cuffed. The CBTF men stood around, looking confused, some even seemed like they wanted to scratch their heads, but that would ruin their whole "government authority figure" vibe.

"Team B fall in!" Mission Leader barked. His men jumped to attention and quickly made their way over to him. "I have no clue what in God's name is going on here, but I don't like it. These men are hardened killers, there's no way they'd give themselves up so easily. I've left Team A behind to watch over them as we move on."

The men nodded, and then immediately got their weapons ready as they moved into formation. Mission leader gave the signal, and as a unit, they all moved forward and up the stairs, foregoing the elevator. The camera followed.

The men and women back at HQ were unimpressed so far. Not even one shot fired and they were already 10 minutes into the operation. With bored expressions, they watched as their strike force made their way to the target with no obstacles. When they'd reached the top floor and finally the office of Alexander Eisenhardt, Mission Leader ordered a halt. The camera hovered just above his shoulders as he listened for any sounds indicating enemy action. Nothing.

Mission Leader gave the signal and the door to the office was kicked in and smoke bombs were hurled into the room. His men rushed into the room quickly after him, prepared for what they thought awaited them. Which was nothing. None of the occupants of the room were even coughing. Or even standing for that matter. In the room there was a large rectangular table with eight men seated around the table, their target included. Lex didn't even looked too disturbed, in fact he seemed only mildly annoyed. The smoke that was supposed to fill the entire room seemed to be held back by some sort of invisible wall. And as Mission Leader watched, the area in which the smoke stretched seemed to shrink, until it was just a sphere of smoke.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" Lex Hard asked calmly. "Surely there is no need for such a rude interruption." Lex spoke with a deep baritone that matched his well muscled frame. His skin was mocha brown, but his eyes were green. A rare combination indeed.

"Alexander Eisenhardt, AKA Lex Hard, you are under arrest for the creation and running of an ongoing criminal conspiracy to traffic in an controlled substance and other illicit goods." Mission leader spoke.

"Don't be ridiculous. I've paid my senator his hush money already. Go bother someone else." Lex stated firmly. He turned back to the men seated at his table. "Now, where was I gentlemen?"

"Alexander Eisenhardt! You have ten seconds to surrender yourself or else I will have to come and take you in forcefully." Mission Leader urged.

Lex stood up, hands still on the table firmly. "You are a fool. Nothing more than fodder. I don't know what you've done to deserve death, but by sending you here, that's what your superiors have condemned you to. This is YOUR last chance to turn around and leave this building unharmed." He intoned menacingly.

Mission Leader then made two fatal mistakes. He underestimated his opponent. Then he overestimated himself. He took a step forward, and that was the last thing his body did voluntarily. As soon as his foot touched the floor, it was swept out from under him by an invisible force and he went speeding towards Lex. He stopped an inch from Lex's face and Lex smiled at him. Then he waved his hand and a sickening snap was heard.

Mission Leader's body was tossed aside unceremoniously as a hail of bullets was sent towards Lex. None made it to him. He raised his hand and all the bullets halted. Then slowly they turned around and rocket, at twice their original speed, back towards the strike force. As the bullets tore in to them, Lex was waving his arms around like a mad man. With every movement of his arm, an invisible force ripped his assailant's limb from limb, lifting them from the floor. One unlucky fellow was brutally decapitated. Whilst another had his hands chopped off his arm, and then the arm ripped away from his body.

When all the bodies of the dead CBTF had fallen and the blood spray had lessened. Lex leaned onto the table and pressed a button on his phone.

"Nancy, can you have a cleanup crew come in here? I've made a bit of a mess." He requested.

The voice on the other end of the line agreed and Lex got off the table. He beckoned towards the still recording and still streaming camera and it came to him, like a dog to its master. When the camera was close enough, he simply smirked and closed his fist. The camera was crushed and the feed died.

In the meeting room, a few of the aides and other personnel who'd never seen live combat had vomited all over the floor. Some were even crying. There were some shocked and just vacant stares. The room was filled with silence.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@johnjo719: I liked your story "The Fire Within" better. This one is not playing well with the others in the group. You've immediately set up a character that is supposed to be the biggest, baddest dog in the yard, when The_Deathstroker's "Alexander Wolffe" has been working the main character up to that. Not to mention that you've made your character sort of an all-powerful cross between Luthor ("Lex" being obvious) and Magneto ("Eric Eisenhardt"- perhaps less obvious). I'm not digging this one as much, but see what the other writers in the group say. I'm just the librarian here.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@cbishop: Compared to the other characters he (Lex) seems to powerful, to early. True some of the other characters are getting up there but it wasn't an auto badass promotion (Goddess forgive me for saying 'badass'). In addition there were some glaring errors grammer wise in here very early on. I wish I could be less mean about this but as a writer working on a character with no powers this kind of bugs me.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I kinda agree with Bishop. The reason for me not stating this earlier was because it was 7:00 in the morning.

Anyway you already know how I feel. Really enjoyed it, however I do think Bishop is right.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@johnjo719: "I'm coming for you!" snarled the Quoll

Not bad, he's a bit over the top but it's a comic book. Give me five minutes with your boy :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Re-read and bumped

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@johnjo719: Bump. That was a pretty intense chapter JJ. Kind of want to apologize for being late to the party though, will be reading all the chapters today to get caught up