Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

5th Column Comics: Inkcap #2

For more 5th Column Comics visit the Library

Across from me sits a cold woman at the end of a cold metallic table. The agents who brought me in called her 'the Adder', a name that enhances the cold coming off of her. Dead blue eyes bore through the surgical gown I'm wearing and into my nervously beating heart.

"This is Deputy Director Irons commencing interview with the Gamma Class Carrier arrested on CBTF property." The woman states into a recording device sitting on the table in front of her.

"Arrest?" I gulp nervously. "Bu...bu...but I didn't do anything wrong." I stammer as visions of being caged again roll around my head.

"Well you're in trouble Miss Penny Allen, since the band you worked as a sound engineer for is no longer in the country you have effectively broken the terms of your visa." Irons tells me, her voice remaining cold and level as she speaks. "However as a Carrier we are unable to let you leave the Quarantine Zone, as such you have become quite the diplomatic problem."

"Carrier?" I ask nervously. "Carrier of what?" I ask as a technician walks in with a medical chart and places it on the table before departing. "Please can someone tell me what is going on!" I well, the sudden loudness of my voice catching me by surprise.

"Technically your body died in Quarantine." Irons states as she scans the medical chart. "It collapsed into a cloud of fungal spores, fortunately for you the shock of being sterilized caused the spores to awaken the one carrying your intellect, thus saving you from being lost forever. Now onto business." She finished as she clicked a button on the underside of her desk, the surface displaying a holographic map. It would have been impressive if another thought hadn't been ricocheting around my mind.

"You can't just brush off the fact I died!" I yell only for Irons to touch another button under the table. Within seconds my body feels as if it's on fire until Irons taps the button again.

"As you just experienced we can convince you to follow our rules. The gene therapy we performed while you were being prepared for this interview allows us to flood your system with a concentrated fungicide." Irons explains, a slight sign of contempt on her face. "Now back to the point at hand, thirteen months ago NASA tracked a satellite crashing to earth somewhere in Botswana." She announces double tapping a mound of grey on the map.

"What does this have..." I stop as Irons moves her hand towards the bottom of the desk.

"A unit of US Marines were sent to contain the wreckage and do the initial recon. Turns out a unit of the Botswanan Defense Force got there first and had perished, a fate that befell the Marines as well. Fifty men were sent in and only four returned." Irons explained as the map zoomed in on the crash site. "Once clear the survivors called in air support, the entire area was fire bombed by a pair of B2 bombers."

As I watch the map I watch as the entire area go up in flame including a small agricultural station until everything but the satellite array charred black

"It is imperative that we access the site but unfortunately the local government is blocking access after the US dropped so much ordnance on their sovereign soil." Irons explains as another technician walks in and places a duffel bag to the left of me. "That's where you come in. We have explained to the government about your medical condition and they have allowed us to send a support team with you."

"Bu...but your lying." I stammer as Irons rubs the area around the underside button on the table before pressing it, the table surface returning to normal.

"It will only be a short operation." Irons states before getting to her feet. "Play your part and it'll be over in a fortnight or so. We're wheels up in an hour, we'll leave you to get dressed and you'll be picked up by security when ready."

"And w...what if I re...refuse?" I stutter as Irons walks to the door before turning to face me, a trigger in her hand and a cruel smile on her lips.

"You won't trust me." She states before leaving the room. Holding my head in my hands I look down at the duffel bag and unzip the top before reaching inside only to pull out a bodysuit and pair of hiking boots. With much reluctance I put the former on and shudder as a cold sensation runs through me.

After slipping the boots on I check the bag again and spot an ear piece at the bottom and pick it up. The device doesn't even reach my ear, instead choosing to burrow into my skin, the upper layer parting to let it infiltrate the very core of my being. My panic is soon interrupted as a voice sounds from nowhere causing me to look around fearfully.

"Hello?" I call before feeling my skin ripple.

"Good you can hear me." The voice answers. "The sub-particle acoustic matrix works. But where are my manners my name is Quinn and I'll be your guide for forever and a day."

"Uh huh ." I agree sheepishly as the door opens and two men armed with rifles and dressed in desert camouflage walk in.

"You don't sound sure. Trust me if you think today is weird get ready Penny, you're about to be thrown down the metaphorical rabbit hole."

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm liking this story a lot so far. The whole being blackmailed thing is pretty entertaining.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cbishop

@impurestcheese: This character is so weird, it's hard to get into it, but I'm going to keep reading. :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: How is she weird? Sorty it's hard to understand thogh

@johnjo719: Cool thanks, the CBTF is no different from any other intelligence agency in that respect

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Eh, it's just the nature of her powers- fungal spores? You haven't gotten that far into it though.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Oh okay, more will be revealed about that later

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Poor Penny. She's in a pretty bad place at the moment and you're doing a really good job of making me feel sorry for her.

Irons seems to be a pretty interesting character and has a lot of potential for future stories.

Great stuff Cheese.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Yep Penny really has to suffer unfortunately. And yes Irons is intresting indeed, more on her very soon.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@impurestcheese: Pretty much all the same feelings as the first issue. It's an interesting opening, but still too early for judgments.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alexander_Wolffe

Loved the callback to the marines mission. Loved the extra detail added to the whole incident. Really interested in where this is going. Good job.

*patiently waits for next issue*

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexander_wolffe: Gaia and the start of American Tyrant Phase 2 not to mention the Sarcastic Fish Issue of IGTA

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@impurestcheese: Cool chapter, nice to see a tie in to Wolffe. Also, sorry for misunderstanding her powers. Any chance of a continuation of this?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ImpurestCheese