knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

5th Column Comics: Diver

Chapter 6: The Mission Part I

Do you remember that first day of school after summer vacation's over with? You've got butterflies in the pit of your stomach and you're already ready to go an hour before your suppose to be. Imagine that feeling, but about ten times more.

I've been in the loading dock for about three hours now. It took two for the crew to starting turning up and they're just now loading up the trucks for our trip. They're disguising the trucks to look like they're from a moving company and hiding me inside one of the boxes until we get free of Indigo city. From there it's off to the ocean and then Cruciform.

To pass the time I've been reciting the plans in my head. I think I know them better than the guy that made them up. Cruciform's revealing their chip tonight, six hours from now. By the time that I get to their headquarters I'll have an hour to get in and get out before they start the presentation. It's going to be close, but aside from the anxiety, I feel like I've got it down pat. I tap my foot, watching the crew finish up the last minute details on the trucks.

The sound of metal dropping to the floor snaps me out of my trance and brings me back to reality. I turn away from the trucks and look out at the rows of shelves that are behind me, covered in dusty old boxes that probably haven't seen the light of day for centuries. I spot a couple of bolts twirling around the ground.

That's weird. I think, watching the last bolt settle on the floor. My thoughts immediately go to Malcolm, my very best invisible friend, but push the idea away. Sure, after what he told me about his past few years with Temper and Sinclair, I wouldn't be surprised if he had staged a one man breakout while I and the crew were leaving to rendezvous with the trucks, but why would he be here and not half way to Kentucky? I shake my head, and turn my attention back to the trucks.

With the final box loaded, the team leader, Anderson (I think that's what he told me his name is), signals for me to come on and be loaded in.

The box that they have for me looks like it was made for small dresser. I guess they weren't worried about my comfort level. One of the crew dressed in a workman's jumpsuit guides me into the box and then tapes it shut on top of me once he's sure I'm in all the way. I shuffle around a little bit to get comfortable and then close my eyes as I hear the truck's back door slide shut. I feel my gills take a nice deep suck of water and I wait as we start our trip to the sea.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The past few days have felt like months to me, spending all my time with Malcolm as we train and go over the blue prints for Cruciform's building. We went over it so much I've dreamed about going over the plans in my sleep. This morning I even woke up on my feet in my fencing stance like I was doing battle with some invisible Cruciform guard. I don't know how Jane's going to be able to sleep with me in the same bed after this is all-

"When you sign on for Sinclair, you sign on for life."

Malcolm's words hang in my head like a cat stuck in a tree (bad simile, I know). They keep on coming back to me every time I imagine walking through the front doors of Temper Industries with Jane in my arms and going back to a regular life…okay, about as regular as one can be with gills and webbed hands and feet.

"It's gonna happen, Ed." I tell myself in my box. Great, two hours in and I'm already talking to myself.

Either way, I keep on believing that future is possible, no matter what Malcolm said. I keep playing out walking out of Temper in my head until I get so relaxed, I fall asleep.

"Wake up, sunshine. Time to smell that ocean air!"

The box lid is ripped off and I'm greeted to the smiling face of one of the team. He looks about as cheerful as a pyromaniac with a bunch of wet matches. He helps me up from my crouched position and ushers me out of the truck, midday sunlight streaming through the doorway.

The sight that greets me as I walk out of the truck is one so beautiful it's hard for me to even describe. The sun is almost set to go down over the ocean, bathing the beach in a deep orange light. Waves crash against the sand like a cascading orchestra, the most wonderful sound I've heard in months. The beach is relatively deserted save for the odd couple walking along it. Either way I can tell from the four man team that they're nervous and look like they'll pounce on the first person they see come up to us.

"Everything working well, Mr. Turner?" Anderson asks, looking me up and down.

Before we left for the warehouse, Dr. Tate had given me this special diving suit that I'm wearing now made up of black and blue fabrics. There are holsters on the legs, containing collapsing night sticks for when things get hairy, and the gloves have remote activated shock pads on the fingers and palms. I curl and uncurl my fingers, activating the pads and watch the electric current dance on my hands.

"Shocks are good," I say, "and my water's good for another ten hours."

"Excellent." Anderson responds. "Now I know you've been told this a million times but I'm gonna tell you again. You're mission is to get to the Temper Industries building ten miles off the coast. When you get inside, you get a chip sample and any information about it. You want to purposely make it look like they've been hacked, that way they'll stop the presentation and leave our guys enough time to analyze it."

"Got to love corporate espionage," I joke.

Anderson doesn't laugh. "We ran a few stoplights and bought you some extra time. Don't try to use it. Get in, get out. Understood."

"Yes, sir," I say, making my way to the ocean waves. The other team members watch as I slowly begin to wade my way through the cold ocean waves. I feel the sea water react to my senses in a way that I've never felt before I feel like I've just gotten my second wind. I feel a surge of energy travel up my body, and dive into the water, shooting through it like a rocket on lift off. When I come up next to look at my surroundings, the beach is barely in sight.

"Cruciform, here I come."

Anderson waits for ten minutes after Ed dives into the water and turns to his right, facing open air.

"You know your orders too. He'll be at the building in five minutes. Best get going."

No answer comes but Anderson watches as the sand moves and a series of foot prints leads away from the team leader and towards the Jet Ski bouncing in the water. The Jet Ski turns invisible right in front of Anderson's eyes, as if disappearing into thin air. Anderson hears the sound of the engine turning on, followed by the sound of it speeding away from the shore.

Anderson looks at his watch, takes a deep breath, and decides to go get a beer.

To be continued

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@knightofthechronicle: Holy crap, this is a huge day for 5CC. Two new issues from the regulars plus the return of Wolffe and Diver! Glad to see you're still doing this. Will read the issue in a few, just wanted to comment that first lol.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@knightofthechronicle: One two many 'I's in "Cruciform I here I come"

Other then that a great return to form, and a pleasure to see the Diver return

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@knightofthechronicle: "Got to love corporate espionage," I joke.

And then when Cruciform then sabotage in reply, the cycle continues.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14