Extraordinary X-Men #2

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The X-Men team is still coming together. Nothing comes that easy, especially when the world still hates mutants and now Inhumans.

A good portion of this story deals with Old Man Logan being in this new Marvel Universe. He's confused and this issue really hits the point home that this Logan is not from this world's future. He's in an alternate timeline. He doesn't know about M-Pox or the Terrigen Mists. It's nice to see this book really set the record straight right off the bat. That's a question that really doesn't need to be in the reader's head since they're already wondering what happened in the 8 months after SECRET WARS.

Old Man Logan's story is probably the best part of the issue. We really start to feel for this character as this is his introduction into the new Marvel Universe. He has a lot weighing on his shoulders, due to the events of the OLD MAN LOGAN story and Jeff Lemire makes sure to reiterate that here for those who haven't read the story. Even if you're not familiar with that story, you still get a great sense of who this character is as Lemire sums up the events of Logan's journey. I have a feeling that Logan meeting up with Nightcrawler is going to be highly emotional when it actually happens.

This issue is chaotic. The latter half of the book jumps around a bit and creates a bit of confusion with the flow of the overall story. While these individual stories are great, the way it's paced out doesn't lend to the best flow for the overall issue. The dance between the fast and slow pacing isn't working for the particular issue.

Mr. Sinister?! Yes, please! Earlier this year, I talked about why I loved this character growing up, and I'm so happy to see this guy back in the comics. I really love the costume redesign by Humberto Ramos. It feels a bit more, dare I say, "sinister." He still has the gigantic cape and the diamond on his chest and head, but there's a little bit more to the costume than normal. It's a nice update to the classic, 80s/90s attire. It's hard to know exactly why he's here right now. He's obviously behind quite a bit of what's going on and I wouldn't put it past him to be behind M-Pox since he does love messing with genetics and probably made the virus himself.

Humberto Ramos is killing it on this series, along with Victor Olazaba on inks and Edgar Delgado on colors. The art is the perfect fit for the action we see here as well as the character beats throughout the issue. Ramos' style lends extremely well to these characters, and it feels like it breathes some fresh air into characters we've been seeing for years. In addition, the splash page showing off the new Mr. Sinister is downright awesome.

EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #2 wasn't as strong as the first issue, but it was still a great read. Lemire is setting up quite a bit in this second issue, from Jean Grey outing herself as a mutant while trying to find love, Colossus and Magik fighting Sinister, and Logan talking to the new X-Men leader Storm, but it's all interesting set-up, although it does get a bit chaotic at times. Regardless, this is a real pleasing issue and I highly recommend checking out this new series.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Really good issue, I was initially looking forward to All-New X-Men a bit more than this one but I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

Michiel1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really like the art style...

ZombieSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

So far this series is the first time I have liked Ramos.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A short sample to be sure, but I thin this will be my favorite X-Book at the moment

akiro616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

soooo......is scott dead then?? is that the secret wars death they mean?

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the only part I disliked was with Logan at the beginning. I just dislike the attitude he's choosing to have in this new situation.

BumBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving this, i'm pretty indifferent about All-new x-men but i'm super excited about the Uncanny x-men reboot.

Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/07/are-these-massive-spoilers-for-x-men-in-2016-or-just-4chan-fan-fic/

So far this has been right about one thing. Loving the book so far.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I loved this issue. 5 stars for me. The initial set-up felt a bit too reminiscent of old stories but this issue nailed it for me. The whole "mutants are near extinction" thing has been done to death at this point but Lemire's ability to capture the voice of these characters while Ramos puts his absolute best work to date on the page makes for a great comic. The character moments were my favorite part of the issue. I was especially fond of Logan's bitter dickery and the Rasputin siblings mild bickering. This and Bloodshot Reborn were my two favorite books this week.

Hulk1893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hulk1893

@akiro616: yes he is but it was after secret wars so in between the "8 months later"

akiro616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hulk1893: i wonder how long it will take to explain what happened to him but its not bendis anymore so shouldnt be to long and should be well done unlike some......r.i.p richard rider

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill read anything by Lemire. and this book so far hasnt dissapointed. its still in set up mode they havnt even recuited the cast yet. give it time people the second arc will be when Lemire gets to tell a solid story this is all just set up

But i also cannot wait till Uncanny Xmen by Cullen Bunn!
Bunn is awesome when writing Villains!

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best X-Men comic in a long time. Better than Bendis' run already that's for sure and probably the best since Mike Carey's X-Men run IMO. Definitely will be waiting for this to come out in a hardback collection.

mikey776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this issue the art and writing are on point

justinisdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

got this one yesterday and will get to read it tonight, stoked on this series after a great first issue.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

So what did Scott do?

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope when they bring back Cyclops they stop writing him like a jerk. Cyclops is my favorite character. I hope they bring back Cyclops, Wolverine, and Professor X all at the same time.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great issue! Even better than the first issue! Glad to see the X-Men acting like X-Men for a change...

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sorry, when/how did Cyclops die?!

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just subscribed to this comic blindly i hope it's good.