• 53 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This week, one of my favorite Marvel series came to an end. Assuming you even glanced at the title of the article, you know I'm talking about W. Haden Blackman, Michael Del Mundo, and Marco D'Alfonso's ELEKTRA. Despite receiving plenty of positive reviews, the title was unable to keep a substantial amount of readers. Sure, it's possible this series would have ended no matter how many fans purchased the issues just because Secret Warsis drastically changing the Marvel universe, but I was stunned to see how just low the sales were for a comic that I believe is legitimately phenomenal.

"You really have to stop killing the backup dancers, Elektra."

Whenever a new issue was released, it would be the very first comic I'd read. The series managed to pull me into its surreal and exciting world each and every time. These issues were clever, fun, and full of wonder and stunning visuals. (Well, Del Mundo didn't illustrate two issues and the difference is noticeable. He's not an easy act to follow.) Every issue made me want to immediately read it all over again because it just delivered on so many different levels. It's often action-heavy, yet it doesn't lack depth, worldbuilding, or emotion. In almost every review, it was clear a number of my fellow Comic Viners were equally passionate about this series, but it looks like a large percentage of comic book readers didn't bother to read it.

According to Comichron's sales figures for January, ELEKTRA #10, the penultimate issue of the series, came in 164th place. It was the lowest selling Marvel title which takes place in the 616 or ultimate universe. To me, this is totally baffling. How could a series that's so good receive so little attention from readers? Before I get into what some of the reasons might be, I'm going to tell you what made me fall in love with this series. Maybe -- just maybe -- it'll motivate you to pick up the trades.

My reaction when I saw the sales for ELEKTRA #10.
My reaction when I saw the sales for ELEKTRA #10.

The elevator pitch for this comic's story could sound very, very generic. "The Hand and the Assassin's Guild are after Elektra and they want to resurrect Bullseye." Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, does it? We'd get some cool action sequences of Elektra obliterating ninjas and an obvious Bullseye vs. Elektra rematch that has her struggling until she takes him down yet again. Sounds amusing enough, but it also seems very familiar and most likely forgettable. Except the book is far from generic. The overall objectives may be standard, but the way the writer has it all play out is simply brilliant; it's full of elements you'd probably never expect.

For example, Elektra invading a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility to get her hands on a captured and incapacitated Bullseye could have been so uninspired and predictable. She'd beat up some guards, get her hands on Lester, and then bolt. While she does do the first thing, it doesn't play out how you'd think it would. Additionally, this is by no means your cliche prison facility, either. And then to make things even more imaginative, flying ninjas and even a dragon are added to the mix. In someone else's hands, we could have seen Elektra drop some nameless fodder with several panels full of basic punches and kicks, watched her grab Bullseye from a cell, and then observed her flee while throwing in a few more punches and kicks. But in ELEKTRA, it turns into this imaginative sequence in which S.H.I.E.L.D. has fascinating technology, Elektra humiliates them with a paintball gun (it just goes to show how talented she is), and then she puts on a jetpack for an action sequence that's totally out-there and jaw-dropping. This is just one example of all of the ingenuity that went into making sure these seemingly ordinary story beats were full of awe and fantasy.

Move along, nothing to see here. It's just some flying ninjas fighting awesomely armored S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.
Move along, nothing to see here. It's just some flying ninjas fighting awesomely armored S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

There was no shortage of action in this book and it was never formulaic. However, the writing thrived for two other key reasons: It embraced all of the strange things the Marvel Universe could offer and it gave us a tremendous look into Elektra's mind. It's a series that throws a bunch of weird yet thrilling action in your face, yet it never forgets to also be character-driven and takes full advantage of all of the cool elements and characters the various settings can offer. Fun action and fantastic visuals are a big selling point, but they just aren't the same without a strong script.

You probably noticed by now the art is pretty breathtaking, yeah? Even if the style isn't for you, it must be tough not to at least appreciate just how much attention goes into the characters, effects, and layouts. Every single issue illustrated by Del Mundo had several pieces of work that were downright astonishing. Whether it's crazy action, bringing an environment to life, or amazingly creative ways to present a scene, Del Mundo (along with D'Alfonso) did an incredible job turning Blackman's words into gorgeous and striking pages.

Elektra teams up with a dragon, because why not?
Elektra teams up with a dragon, because why not?

ELEKTRA has a smart and exciting script and it's loaded with beautiful artwork. The creative team generated some unforgettable stories and a ton of unique and exhilarating action sequences. So, why weren't more people reading this series? Obviously, all of these blasphemers will have different reasons, but a few immediately come to mind.

First and foremost, I'm guessing some people just don't care about the character. Their reasons may range from having a very limited amount of knowledge of the character ("she's Daredevil's ex -- the one Bullseye killed, right?") to thinking she doesn't have that much depth. Or maybe the movies left a terrible taste in the person's mouth and it'll never fade away. It's a shame if a lack of interest in Elektra is the reason because you can have zero knowledge of the character going into this and it'll still give you such a strong connection to her. It's meant to be new reader friendly while also feeling like major fan service for her preexisting fans. Blackman's frequent trips into her head did such a good job humanizing the deadly anti-hero. Look, I have a confession to make. Before reading this series, I wasn't a big Elektra fan. There, I said it. I've always thought the character was badass, but she'd never be included in any of my "favorites" lists. She just didn't grab my attention like other characters did. This series, though? It totally changed that and now I have my fingers crossed she'll get another ongoing series during Secret Wars.

Is anyone else now thinking about a Bullseye and Joker team-up?
Is anyone else now thinking about a Bullseye and Joker team-up?

Another possible reason (and I hope it's not a common one) could be the artwork. I think it's incredible, but I can understand how someone may not appreciate it as much as I do, especially during the more elaborate and crazy moments. I mean, art is subjective, right? So, if that's your reason for not reading the title, I guess I can find it in my heart to one day forgive you. A third possible reason: Money! For many of us, reading comics isn't a cheap hobby. With so many titles now costing $3.99 or even $4.99, the cost of following many comics really does begin to add up. Then throw in however much money you spend on back issues and collectibles. It's very understandable that a large amount of fans are pretty hesitant about adding yet another title to their pull list because they just can't afford to.

I want to know why you -- yeah, you -- didn't read the series. So, we've created a nifty poll for you. If your reason for not reading it isn't in there, I guess just don't vote and then explain below why you avoided ELEKTRA.

Lllllllllllet's get ready to cancellllllllllllllllll!
Lllllllllllet's get ready to cancellllllllllllllllll!

It's perfectly fine if you gave an issue a shot and honestly didn't like it. I mean, we all make mistakes. However, if you missed out on this because of a tight budget or because you just aren't all that into the character, I really hope this article has made you consider picking up the title's TPBs. The first one, Bloodlines, is currently available. Do your best not to hold it against them for not putting a Comic Vine quote on the cover, okay? It looks like the second volume, Reverence, goes on sale May 2. Yes, I'm disappointed this series didn't sell well and I'm especially disappointed the creative team didn't get to spend more time with the character. That said, having an excellent but short story that you can read over and over again is infinitely better than not having one at all, isn't it?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By daredevil21134

She never does well away from Daredevil.But the series was good.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This series was gold and it's a shame for it to end

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's ok we will publish another Guardians or Avengers title(Wolverine is still dead for a 5th title)

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

I wasn't that big of an Elektra fan, but when I heard about this series I was somewhat intrested in the story, but just never got around to reading it.

However I recently just bought the trade so, hopefully I will enjoy it and become a bigger fan of Elektra.

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikeg1965

Well the Art was totally wicked, can't say that was the fault.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to shy away from books that don't fit into some sort of larger continuity. They end up feeling like filler.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read the article because I've yet to read the last issue. Before this, I hadn't read anything about her. But I'm really disappointed it's ended.

SWagner017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I read through the first arc, but when I saw the artist change on issues 6 and 7 I kind of fell off for some reason. Budgeting my pull list may have played a role too at the time.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I'm baffled that this was Marvels lowest selling book

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmothander said:

I tend to shy away from books that don't fit into some sort of larger continuity. They end up feeling like filler.

Ugh.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

The art alone kept me reading.

DATTTTTT ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~MiB

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought #1, it was alright, but not good enough for me to buy more. But really I never saw any articles based on promoting Elektra on vine other than standard reviews, I mean that would have been more effective than waiting for it to end then telling people they should have bought it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually blame Marvel for a lot of the series's shortcomings.They endlessly promote all their Avengers books and all their big events until your eyes get tired of looking at them, and books that have no ties to the Avengers,Guardians, or X-Men like Elektra,Iron Fist and Deathlok fly completely under the radar.Thank God Moon Knight had Warren's Ellis's name to lean on.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loved every issue! I hope, after SW, Blackman and Del Mundo team up again...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She isn't the most popular character, and I hadn't heard of this title or how good it is until just now.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I only read the first trade and a couple more issues but it was pretty good, if anyone still has the mind-set that Elektra is just some lass who got killed by Bullseye then I suggest it as something to have a look at.

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No interest in the character, and don't have the dough stacks to purchase issues I don't have an interest in. That was my reason.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

I never got this mainly cause I don't really know the character and because of money, but DAMN that art was good.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I bought #1, it was alright, but not good enough for me to buy more. But really I never saw any articles based on promoting Elektra on vine other than standard reviews, I mean that would have been more effective than waiting for it to end then telling people they should have bought it.

It was featured in many editions of Essential Comics and a few times in Best Battles. I'm pretty sure CV has received at least one exclusive preview for it, too.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Art was terrible. That's why I never got it.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great series that will be missed. Unfortunately since she can't seem to be successful outside of Daredevil's world, I'm hoping we get a Daredevil/Elektra team up book or something of the sort.

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is how I felt about Thor The First Avenger, except I have no clue how low its sells were.

I'll check out this series. I honestly thought Elektra was a lot more popular.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

I was reading it, and it was great. The fact that it's over but Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck and other silly a** comics are being pushed makes me upset.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dan12456

Wow that art seems phenomenal, a little late but I might pick up the trades. Will check it out on marvel unlimited at the very least.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never read it because I tend to stay away from Marvel. Unless it's Ultimate Marvel. But it looked nice.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@k4tzm4n: I loved this series and it instantly became one of my all times favorites. Loved the writing and the art and was deeply sadden when it was cancelled. I brought every single issue and I'm definitely buying the trade and hopefully get it signed. But I'm assuming the sells didn't go so well not because of the story or the art. It's just that the character doesn't have enough media attention to grow on. Not much people know her as much as someone like Spider-Man. She never made any appearances in any cartoons from I can remember. Plus her movie was awful and forgettable to give people no interest. I know people feel like media doesn't help but trust me it does. I'm pretty sure X-Men wouldn't be where it is if it was for the cartoons. She's not even playable in any video games besides Lego Marvel (She isn't even playable in Marvel Heroes yet and not anytime soon because she's not on this year's release schedule they have on the site. :-() so that dangers on another factor.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

En pointe, sir.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

(wipes away tears bravely)

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have to disagree with you here.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I actually blame Marvel for a lot of the series's shortcomings.They endlessly promote all their Avengers books and all their big events until your eyes get tired of looking at them, and books that have no ties to the Avengers,Guardians, or X-Men like Elektra,Iron Fist and Deathlok fly completely under the radar.Thank God Moon Knight had Warren's Ellis's name to lean on.

Yeah, both DC and Marvel do the same. They advertise the hell out of there big AAA books that don't even need it instead of showing off more of the lesser known books.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One problem is that this was a 4 dollar book, although it seems pretty much all Marvel books are now. Even DC still has a rather large handful of 3 dollar titles. I did however buy Elektra monthly but mostly because of Mike del Mundo. I getting more hesitant to buy Marvel monthly books because of the high price to page ratio. Beside 1 or 2 titles I've shifted Marvel to mostly trade waiting due to the constant explosion of outstanding Image books. That said I'll probably end up buying Weirdworld in June just for more of that sweet Mike del Mundo art.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By daredevil21134

@ms-lola said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I have to disagree with you here.

I meant as far as sales go,not quality.She seems to struggle a bit wen she goes solo but I've enjoyed a lot of her solo stories.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Strider1992

My problem was budget. The thing with Marvel and DC is their flagship titles (Spider-man, Batman etc....) will be bought no matter what so it doesn't really matter to them what they put out in the meantime this means that one of two things happen with other lesser known characters. Either they are given to a competent team and the series does mediocre/relatively well or they are given to an incompetent creative team and no one cares. Unfortunately the latter seems to occur the most but when a team does get it right because they are overshadowed by other titles they never take off and the same fate that has befallen Scarlet Spider, I, Vampire etc.... claims yet another.

Thus I only have the budget for a certain few comics and those comics are Spider-man (being the fanboy that I am), Nailbitter, Ghosted, Day Men, Spread, Suicide Risk and Lazarus. The problem is that value for money and originality goes to indie comics everytime.

I'm sure Elektra was a good series but I had no room on my pull list due to it already being populated by titles that are incredibly good and I would wager far better too. However I will consider picking up the trade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not interested in the character, and not enough room on my pull list.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ms-lola: Ha, thank you! Pretty sure that last one will haunt my dreams, though.

@iceslick said:

@k4tzm4n: I loved this series and it instantly became one of my all times favorites. Loved the writing and the art and was deeply sadden when it was cancelled. I brought every single issue and I'm definitely buying the trade and hopefully get it signed. But I'm assuming the sells didn't go so well not because of the story or the art. It's just that the character doesn't have enough media attention to grow on. Not much people know her as much as someone like Spider-Man. She never made any appearances in any cartoons from I can remember. Plus her movie was awful and forgettable to give people no interest. I know people feel like media doesn't help but trust me it does. I'm pretty sure X-Men wouldn't be where it is if it was for the cartoons. She's not even playable in any video games besides Lego Marvel (She isn't even playable in Marvel Heroes yet and not anytime soon because she's not on this year's release schedule they have on the site. :-() so that dangers on another factor.

Yeah, "not interested in the character" has received a lot of votes :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read two issues of this series (#1 and #9), but they didn't really connect with me. I did love Del Mundo's art, though.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I was reading it! One of the best comics going for sure. I knew it wasn't doing well in sales but not that bad.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for writing this article, really sums up how I feel. Sadly All New Ghost Rider ended this week as well and while it will contiune(to some degree?) in SW it was a series that had cool art and great story but no one read it. Guardians 3000 is another series that will probably end after SW, really hope more people try out these lesser know characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

I didn't really like Elektra in the late 80s-early 90s either in Daredevil or in her own books, and her Marvel Knights' book had some decent storytelling, but didn't really live up to its potential, in my perspective. However, I loved Elektra's original appearances in DD from 168-181, and the storyline from 186-190 (her resurrection) is my favorite Elektra story. I would also recommend What If? #35 - What If Elektra Had Lived? for an intriguing alternate to the Bullseye narrative in Daredevil #181 - Last Hand. Skip ahead a couple of years to Sienkiewicz's Elektra: Assassin limited; I thought this was groundbreaking, but it was generally overlooked by fans because it was published under the Epic banner, so they didn't regard it as mainstream. I didn't really care to pick up an Elektra story after that until decades after she came down from the mountain back into the Marvel Universe,when I read Dark Reign: Elektra. This five-issue limited seemed to define everything about the character: Once again, she had to find redemption not just from Matt, but from the entire MU after the Secret Invasion, and Elektra had to carve out her niche in a crossover-heavy metaplot. I hear her Thunderbolts appearances were good, but I'm dubious to read that run because Deadpool is in it. Then there was this series, which featured beautiful, sophisticated artwork (kudos, Mike del Mundo); storytelling from Blackman, who is no stranger to writing complex, strong female characters, and unforgettable battles between Elektra and both Lady Bullseye and Bullseye himself. There was nothing to hate here except its longevity.

TheGreatCatsby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad people liked the series and sad to see it go for you guys. However personally I had a hard time connecting with it. I loved the art and that kept me going for 5 issues, but the story had to win me over, and it did not. As much as I liked the art, there is just sooooooooooo many good books out there these days, so eventually if i'm not super into something I cut.

For me I think the story failed to get away from Elektra was killed by Bullseye. This happened like 30 years ago but it still massively permeated the story even in the first arc. This coupled with not much in way of supporting cast and a character that just doesn't engage me just couldn't keep me going on the book. I'm digging Spider-Gwen, Silk, Ms Marvel, Black Widow, and Thor for marvel female solo books but this one left me in the cold and I'm starting to think Angela has the same type of problems for me.

When it comes down to it maybe the book just wasn't for me. I continue to support Iron Fist, which is getting its entire 12 issue run as intended.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#40  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

I was planning on it though I never had the money and it was always sold out at my local comic shop anyway.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was never interested in the character, but I read Issue 1 after a friend gave me a digital code. I thought it was fine, but nothing that really grabbed me or could justify an extra 3.99 per month. Still, I can understand why the loyal fans loved it, and I think this article was full of great points. Maybe when I renew my Marvel Unlimited subscription I'll read the rest.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looked like a cool series, but I'm already reading more than I can afford to lol

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Elektra as a character puts me to sleep.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a shame this ended. I really like assassin stuff but at least Deathstroke is still around.

Tahajj-Vandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elektra : A series that doesn't deserve to get CUT OFF!!!!

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Del Mundo's art was consistently amazing. It's Marco Rudy on Bucky Barnes who's taken that style and ruined it; turning it into an incomprehensible mishmash of nonsense shapes.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I stopped reading this around the 3rd or 4th issue. Started back up just after seeing this tonight. Just read #5.

connerjade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that you also hit something when you write that all of the pitches sound boring. It is fine to say that something is good, but when asked why, if it still sounds boring, I am not going to buy it, or really even read it when it might show up on Marvel Unlimited. There are so many things competing for attention, that a book about a character that I honestly don't care about, in a style I don't care about, is unlikely to make the list. Especially when the answer to "What's it about" makes me not care...

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

En pointe, sir.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

(wipes away tears bravely)

That third gif... *shivers*

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By DonFelipe

@k4tzm4n: Another box, please! -- Wonderful article by the way.