Fan Art

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

As a general rule, DO NOT submit fan art to the galleries unless YOU made it.   
Don't pull random stuff off of Deviantart and add it to the galleries. In many cases, that is actually copyright infringement.   
Is that clear?

thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thegreatfour

Clear as crystal. Or better yet, DIAMONDS :3

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By JamesSpiring

Yeah, crystal clear. Most of my image uploads are British comic covers anyway.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MrDirector786

I'm guessing this has to do with that one user who tried to submit other people's artwork as his own and even crossed out the signature on one of the pieces and put his name there?

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@MrDirector786: Not just him, there's an INSANE amount of DeviantArt stuff submitted to the galleries. Some of it even watermarked.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_

I've submitted fan art before, never knew there was a ruling against it unless it was your own. I do however, always make sure that it's watermark free. I'll refrain from adding any more in the future. 

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ssejllenrad

A clarification on respecting the intellectual rights of artists! Kudos!

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rheged
@Icarusflies said:
" As a general rule, DO NOT submit fan art to the galleries unless YOU made it.   Don't pull random stuff off of Deviantart and add it to the galleries. In many cases, that is actually copyright infringement.   Is that clear? "
I'm glad a decision was made on this.  However, I've a few questions. :)

1.  Does that mean you want the fan art already uploaded to the galleries deleted?
2.  What about art you own, as opposed to art you made?  Can that be uploaded?
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@Rheged:  
1. Yes, I want it deleted. 
2. Artist commissions MAY be uploaded, BUT ONLY if they are put in a gallery titled "Commissions'
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rheged

Okay.  That's going to decimate the Fan Art and the Black and White galleries. OTOH, some of character galleries NEED to be decimated.  It's impossible to look through 1500 images to see if you are uploading a duplicate.  And hopefully will cut off the folks that complain and point to stuff already uploaded.

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JamesSpiring

Speaking of deleting images, it would be useful to be able to delete things from your personal gallery if they're no longer needed. For example, you upload a comic cover, but someone adds a better version. Yours gets removed from the issue page, so it's no longer in use anywhere on the site. Might as well get rid. Except you can't.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yumulu
@digifiend:  That weird... am pretty sure you can delete images from your gallery like any other gallery. In fact I've just done it.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Decept-O

This is just an example of what Icarusflies is talking about; I posted my own Fan Art, which I drew, of the Dark Horse character GHOST.   

If you go to the Image Galleries of that character, I posted my drawing and added the caption "My Fan Art of Ghost" so anyone who sees it knows it is my Fan Art and not anyone else's.    

I haven't used DeviantArt yet, and wasn't aware anyone could swipe someone else's art like that; that pretty much stinks.   

Here is a suggestion:  If anyone would like a drawing or art created of a specific character they'd like, for their themselves for Avatar, Profile or Fan Art purposes for the Image Galleries, you can post a request asking for one of the artists to create something for you.  I can't guarantee anyone will, but some of us usually will.  The user Tonis is really good about fulfilling requests and I also try to get them when I can.   You can also PM me if you'd like.  
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@Icarusflies: I love this commitment to organizing our image galleries :)
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
" @Icarusflies: I love this commitment to organizing our image galleries :) "
Should we start clearing out the black and white image galleries and fan art galleries then, or leave as is? 

Also the image galleries in general are a mess. Dupes everywhere. Things that shouldn't be there. It's awesome to see the commitment, but it's going to take a LOT of work from the users and wiki editors to tidy things up. 
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Red L.A.M.P. said:
Should we start clearing out the black and white image galleries and fan art galleries then, or leave as is?  Also the image galleries in general are a mess. Dupes everywhere. Things that shouldn't be there. It's awesome to see the commitment, but it's going to take a LOT of work from the users and wiki editors to tidy things up.  "
The next major Task Queue initiative will focus on image galleries  -- right now the focus is on Character page formatting --  and we'll probably start that next week.  I'll have some tutorial blogs about image galleries up by then too.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_
@Red L.A.M.P. Fantastic. ^_^ xerox-kitty has a wonderful guide for images, it answers every question I've ever bad about them, but a video would be awesome as well. It's great to see such dedication to keeping the site so awesome.
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Strafe Prower

I don't mind help with this at all. Let me know when this starts, and I will have a feild day :P

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Strafe Prower

BTW, I took care of Black Lightning and Katana free of charge :)

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JamesSpiring
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @Red L.A.M.P. said:
Should we start clearing out the black and white image galleries and fan art galleries then, or leave as is?  Also the image galleries in general are a mess. Dupes everywhere. Things that shouldn't be there. It's awesome to see the commitment, but it's going to take a LOT of work from the users and wiki editors to tidy things up.  "
The next major Task Queue initiative will focus on image galleries  -- right now the focus is on Character page formatting --  and we'll probably start that next week.  I'll have some tutorial blogs about image galleries up by then too. "
Tutorial? That would be appreciated. Thanks.