Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Article Sections

The following are H2 section titles for each type of wiki page. Please maintain the same order and spelling for section titles that you see below. Other applicable H2 section titles are, but not limited to, "Powers and Abilities", "Equipment and Weapons", "Alternate Version" and "Other Media".

Character Article

Current Events

• Firstly, this section is optional, but if you use it then it must come first on the page.
  • No more than one paragraph in length. Approximately 100 words or less.
  • Must cover current events and NOT speculating future events.
  • Must link to issues or volumes or story arcs for even more information.
  • Paragraph can discuss more than one story arc.
  • The purpose of section is to point new readers in the right direction for current story arcs.
  • Keep this section current or remove it.

Example Text:

Currently Superman, in Action Comics, and the other super people are fighting multiple Doomsday's in space, read more in Reign of Doomsday story arc. In the comic book title Superman, Superman continues his walk across America to connect with the common man, but a mysterious foe may be manipulating him. Also, Grant Morrison and George Perez continue to write the relaunch adventures of the Superman titles.

Origin

In narrative form please explain the most popular origin story of the character. Do not write a scene-by-scene retelling. This should be a paragraph.

Creation

Write about the artists/writers who created this character, or who had a significant impact on the characters.

Character Evolution

How has this character changed over the years? Do NOT write plot summaries depicting the story lines of the characters here. This is a section to talk about the character as it applies to our real world.

Major Story Arcs

This is a place to talk about the important storyarcs (or over all story lines) that impact this character. We would prefer you to write plot summaries on the Story Arc page, as this section should really talk about how the character was affected by the major story arcs, and should not be a retelling of the story arcs. See What is a Plot Summary?

Powers and Abilities

This section is meant for all the abilities and power the character might have. It should contain the powers from the main-continuity though. Powers of the alternate versions should go to the Alternate Versions section.

Alternate Versions

Since we don't create multiple pages for every alternate earth and future variation, we suggest a section for all those variants on the main character page.

Other Media

This section is meant for versions of the character outside of the comic books, like movies, video games and television series.

Team Article

Origin

In narrative form please explain the most popular origin story of the character. Do not write a scene-by-scene retelling. This should be a paragraph.

Creation

Write about the artists/writers who created this character, or who had a significant impact on the charcacter.

Team Evolution

This is the place to put the current and past team rosters. Do not just write out a list, but do this in paragraph form. Also discuss how the team has changed over time. Do not write plot summaries here.

Major Story Arcs

Story Arc, Movie, Volume and Issue Article:

Plot Summary

Please read the What is a Plot Summary? post. Do not re-tell the story. 2-3 paragraphs. Present Tense!

Other H2 tags that are acceptable for the Story Arc page are, but not limited to,

• Full Plot (this would be a detailed version as opposed to a plot summary.
  • Collected Editions
  • Related Issues
  • Non-U.S. Editions
  • Examples of them in use can be found here and here .

Creator Article

Career

Personal Life

Object, Concept, Location Article

Overview

What NOT to do with H2/H3 tags:

Please keep the spelling and grammar of the H2 tags consistent across the character pages and:

• Do NOT use the character name in the H2 (e.g. "Alternate Versions of Superman" should just be "Alternate Versions")
  • Never link a H2 or H3 section title
  • Never add bold, underline or italics to an H2 or H3 section title.
  • Do NOT use H2 tags to create sections for story arcs on a character/team page. Major story arcs should be summarized under the H2 "Major Story Arcs". (Please read What is a Plot Summary?)

What is an H3 tag for?

An H3 tag is to make sub sections under the H2 section titles. The same rules of formatting apply to H3, as they do H2, don't hyperlink, bold, underline, italicize an H3 header. Under a character's "Character Evolution" H2 section you might have the following H3 sub sections: "Golden Age", "Silver Age", "Modern Age".

Inserting

Please add images sparingly to sections and make sure they are appropriate.

• Please insert images aligned RIGHT, almost always.
  • Remove images without captions.
  • Remove jumbled up images.

Links:

We want our articles to have links in them, but only link the 1st occurrence of a character name, team name, etc in an article.

Wiki guide for foreign comic books

This foreign language section drafted by CV user Aiden Cross.

The wiki of Comicvine isn’t just for American and British comics. We’re striving to become the biggest comic book database and that includes comic books of all countries and languages. While all the descriptions and page content have to be English, the names of the volumes and pages do not and can be any other language. Where possible be sure to use Roman characters (characters that are known in the English language) otherwise people may have problems searching for the subject in the search function.

If you want to add a volume but the same volume already exists under a different foreign name it’s not a problem. Multiple volumes in different languages can exist next to each other. Here’s an example:

http://www.comicvine.com/blade-of-the-immortal/49-9069/

http://www.comicvine.com/limmortale/49-40356/

http://www.comicvine.com/blade-a-lamina-do-imortal/49-40357/

However, what goes for the volumes doesn’t go for the wiki pages. There do not need to be multiple pages of the same character only because of a different foreign name, they can simply be added by writing the name under the ‘alias’ list so it shows up in the search function.

Comicvine encourages all you wiki submitters out there to start submitting those comics from other countries!

Update: 10/21/2012

If the foreign comic has been translated into English or was originally in English and was translated into another language please include the English title in the volume description and a link to the American volume.

Example: VvX: Los Vengadores Vs. La Patrulla-X. Spanish translation of the American series Avengers Vs. X-Men.

The Comicvine database can't handle all foreign characters especially Cyrillic, if every single character in the volume title is in Cyrillic the page will become inaccessible. If the page becomes inaccessible hit your browsers back button and edit the page again to fix it, the volume title should be translated if possible as it must contain at least one non-Cyrillic character to work.

Manga/Manhwa/Manhua

As more manga volumes are being added to the wiki some guidelines have been established for how they should be set up.

English Manga Translated From Other Languages

The original language title should always be included in the volume description, include a link if the original language series is on Comicvine:

Example One: Oh My Goddess!. This series translates the Japanese manga Ā Megami-sama.
Example Two: Fairy Tail. English translation of the Japanese manga Fairy Tail (フェアリーテイル).

Asian Manga

The volume title should be the most well known/used title in its original country either Romanized or in English (the site can't handle most foreign characters) but the original title should be included in the volume description in the following format:

Proper Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Thai Title: Original Language Title (Romanized Title, Alternate/Literal Translation If There Is One)

the English title can also be included:

English Title: The English Title

and if the manga has been translated into English it should include links like so:

Example: Berserk. Translated into English as Berserk by Dark Horse Manga.

Other Manga

Manga released in other countries should be formatted the same as American translated manga and the volume title would be in that countries language.

Non-Asian Original Language Manga

Some countries produce their own manga so in these instances you would not need to include translation information or "Proper X Title:", instead you would add a description saying that it is an original language manga:

Original English-Language (OEL) manga.
Original German-Language (OGL) manga.
Example: Redakai.

Appropriate Headers

Outside the before mentioned headers there are a few other appropriate ones that can be used for manga:

on the volume page an Upcoming Releases H4 can be added to show release dates for upcoming manga, example:

Upcoming Releases
  • Volume 2 - December 4, 2012

and for the individual issues Proper Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Thai Title: can be used as well as Chapter Titles or Story Titles (H2 followed by unordered list), page numbers should not be included but original language names can be used and if available the English and/or Romanized translation.

Manga Tips

• Pay close attention to covers as they should not be mixed, each language edition gets its own volume.
  • Many Asian manga have multiple editions as they are re-released, often times the editions have a different number of volumes and different contents, the original 27 volume manga may be re-released and condensed into 14 manga. These different editions should not be mixed and would each get their own volume page so make sure you are using the correct covers for the edition you are working on and the correct chapters.
  • Covers that have been photoshopped to include scanner group tags or English translations of cover text should never be used.
  • If you add release dates make sure they are for the right edition.

Specific Guidelines

Story Arc

Story arcs should start with a H2 section title called "Plot Summary". Please read What is a Plot Summary? Please do not go into scene-for-scene detail. Articles should not re-tell the story of the story arc. The article should help readers understand the main points and repercussions of the story arc on the characters involved.

Next, do not type out in a list the comic book issues that are part of the story arc! Remove these typed out lists if you find them. Story arc pages have a section -- below the article -- for attaching the comics. Make sure you fill in the order field too, so people know what order to read the issues in. Do NOT attach trades/graphic novels UNLESS the story only takes place in a trade/graphic novel as opposed to an issue. Only attach the comics that are a must read.

Character / Team

Many people have added super long plot summaries -- that read like transcripts -- under the story arc section of the character/team articles. Firstly, we have story arc pages, so ask yourself if the character page truly needs this section written out on the character page, or is it clearer to move it to the actual story arc page? Secondly, don't list out story arcs as h2 or h3 section titles. Just write about them under the "Major Story Arc" H2 section in paragraph form, and link the name of the story arc to the appropriate page. In general the paragraphs explaining the "Major Story Arcs" should be connected to each other in a linear narrative.

Issues

This is the only article page where we allow you to paste in the plot summary from the official publisher. Our style is to always put this in italic. If you choose to expand on the plot summary, leave the official publisher's plot summary in italic, and any original text you add to the issue page -- that you write yourself -- should NOT be in italic.

Enemies/Friends/Team Pages

These pages are super duper important to us. Check out Jean Grey's enemies for example. Each enemy listed should be accompanied by a unique short paragraph that explains Why/How they are enemies. Don't just leave in the default character description that gets inserted when you add a new character.

-

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_
@Red L.A.M.P.: <3 This is awesome. 
Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pokeysteve

Thank you soooooo much for this. To me it's more informative than all of the videos combined!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Ahem *sniffle*.......I mean is aight.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pokeysteve

I was looking at some team pages looking for a visual and pretty much none of them follow the guide above. Green Lantern Corp. X-Men, Teen Titans, JLA, Avengers, Outsiders, all of them kind of do their own thing. 

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@Pokeysteve said:
" I was looking at some team pages looking for a visual and pretty much none of them follow the guide above. Green Lantern Corp. X-Men, Teen Titans, JLA, Avengers, Outsiders, all of them kind of do their own thing.  "
Yep, it's this years focus to get our wiki articles organized.
Cthulhudrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Cthulhudrew

First off, let me just say that I think a more standardized format is a great idea, and glad to see that that's going to be a goal going forward.

I do have a question about the Character/Team Article format. I assume Origin is supposed to refer to the character's comic origin, and not their meta-textual origin (which, presumably, is covered by Creation; a list of the creators involved, and perhaps any special circumstances behind the character's creation). Presuming that's what is meant, should the order of these possibly be switched? Have the Creation info, followed by the character's in-story origins, followed by their subsequent development, and then a list of major story arcs they are involved in for more reference.

Are there any pages currently done and approved with the new format to check out for more examples?

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@Cthulhudrew said:
" First off, let me just say that I think a more standardized format is a great idea, and glad to see that that's going to be a goal going forward.  I do have a question about the Character/Team Article format. I assume Origin is supposed to refer to the character's comic origin, and not their meta-textual origin (which, presumably, is covered by Creation; a list of the creators involved, and perhaps any special circumstances behind the character's creation). Presuming that's what is meant, should the order of these possibly be switched? Have the Creation info, followed by the character's in-story origins, followed by their subsequent development, and then a list of major story arcs they are involved in for more reference.  Are there any pages currently done and approved with the new format to check out for more examples? "
Yes you are correct about what Origin and Creation mean.  But no we want the origin of the character to be the first thing new readers and google search finds. 

Check out Catwoman to see another page that has been fixed by a user.  Also read this post to see more info about the current initiative we are embarking upon to fix the character pages:  http://www.comicvine.com/forums/editing-tools/2761/fixing-our-wiki-character-pages-new-years-resolution-2011/592637/#1  
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Just updated the top of this post.  Tried to make the H2 sections titles per article type more clear.    

BTW, alot of people have been doing a great job on the Task Queue fixing the sections for character pages.  I'm adding in TEAM pages now too.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I updated again.  Put team rosters under the "Team Evolution" section title, but do it in paragraph form, don't just make a bulleted list of character.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#10  Edited By pikahyper
@Red L.A.M.P.:  Can you add the h2 changes I did for the story arcs to your style guide up above in its own little Story Arcs h3 so people don't go removing them? I spent almost a week going through all of the story arcs on the site cleaning the reading orders up and I've already run across some that people removed and I had to add back.

The headings being:

Collected Editions

Related Issues

or

Related Items

Non-U.S. Editions

and good examples of them in use can be found here and here.
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@pikahyper said:
" @Red L.A.M.P.:  Can you add the h2 changes I did for the story arcs to your style guide up above in its own little Story Arcs h3 so people don't go removing them? I spent almost a week going through all of the story arcs on the site cleaning the reading orders up and I've already run across some that people removed and I had to add back.

The headings being:

Collected Editions

Related Issues

or

Related Items

Non-U.S. Editions

and good examples of them in use can be found here and here. "
Good point, the H2s in the style guide are not the only ones that can be on the page.  But they are the ones we want to start the articles with.  I'll add these as a note under the story arc H2s.
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Rheged
@pikahyper said:
" @Red L.A.M.P.:  Can you add the h2 changes I did for the story arcs to your style guide up above in its own little Story Arcs h3 so people don't go removing them? I spent almost a week going through all of the story arcs on the site cleaning the reading orders up and I've already run across some that people removed and I had to add back.

The headings being:

Collected Editions

Related Issues

or

Related Items

Non-U.S. Editions

and good examples of them in use can be found here and here. "

I will HURT anyone that messes up the reading order of associated titles of Secret Invasion story arc.  I cleaned up that mess for a wiki task, and it was PAINFUL.  I love having those sections you suggested pikahyper as I pulled my hair out about what to do about both of the collected editions and related items, before finally deleting the collections and sticking the related items in by date, if I could find that info.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pikahyper
@Red L.A.M.P.:  awesome thanks, hopefully people will keep reading the guide so I don't have to keep going to story arcs to remove all those extra items from the associated issues reading order :D
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rheged

OMG!!!  Some one has already added messed with the Associated Issues of Secret Invasion!!!  CRAP!!!

=_=

The HURTING will commence as soon as I find the culprit.  grrrrrrr

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pikahyper
@Rheged said:
"I will HURT anyone that messes up the reading order of associated titles of Secret Invasion story arc.  I cleaned up that mess for a wiki task, and it was PAINFUL.  I love having those sections you suggested pikahyper as I pulled my hair out about what to do about both of the collected editions and related items, before finally deleting the collections and sticking the related items in by date, if I could find that info. "
Well in that case you better not go to the secret invasion page right now lol, somebody added 7 issues of Avengers Unconquered from Panini, a Guardians of the Galaxy trade, and the Avengers The Initiative annual :P I am removing all of them except the annual right now so please don't edit the page, I'll pm you when I'm done so you can put the annual in order.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pikahyper
@Red L.A.M.P.: sorry to bother again but I have a couple more additions to the extra story arc h2's note in the style guide; first that the entries under the headers should be unordered lists and second that the list items for each individual h2 should be listed in proper alpha-numeric order.
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@pikahyper:  
I updated the Story Arc section.   I think we need a Plot Summary AND a Full Plot. 

Plot Summary should always be the first thing on a Story Arc page and should be 2-3 paragraphs, present tense and concise. 

Full Plot should be the section header for an indepth examination of the story.  I know a lot of people have basically re-told the story arc on the story arc pages and called it a plot summary, when a plot summary should be short and easy to read.  We should edit those huge walls of text for grammar, spelling and flow and label them as Full Plot. 
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pikahyper
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
" @pikahyper:  I updated the Story Arc section.   I think we need a Plot Summary AND a Full Plot.  Plot Summary should always be the first thing on a Story Arc page and should be 2-3 paragraphs, present tense and concise.   Full Plot should be the section header for an indepth examination of the story.  I know a lot of people have basically re-told the story arc on the story arc pages and called it a plot summary, when a plot summary should be short and easy to read.  We should edit those huge walls of text for grammar, spelling and flow and label them as Full Plot.  "
I like that, good update :)
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#20  Edited By RazzaTazz

Would it be possible to make a template page for each of these types of articles.  Like find a character that doesn't need updating very often and make the perfect page then somehwhat lock it down.  I would like to help editing, but I am more of a see and do type of person as opposed to hear how and do. 
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pikahyper
@RazzaTazz said:
" Would it be possible to make a template page for each of these types of articles.  Like find a character that doesn't need updating very often and make the perfect page then somehwhat lock it down.  I would like to help editing, but I am more of a see and do type of person as opposed to hear how and do.  "
I've been thinking about doing this, it is taking a while though as I try to figure out the best format to present the examples in seeing as how the pages can't be locked down, I'm either going to take a full page screenshot of each type of page so people can see it or export the complete page as a pdf. If I go the pdf route though I will turn it into a ComicVine manual with a table of contents and all the rules and formatting guides all mashed together like a book. Other reason I haven't done this yet is that I'm kinda busy and there are not enough good examples yet that fully utilize everything that has been decided upon, if anybody runs across any good examples please let me know so I can gather them all up.
jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jrh7925
@pikahyper said:
I've been thinking about doing this, it is taking a while though as I try to figure out the best format to present the examples in seeing as how the pages can't be locked down, I'm either going to take a full page screenshot of each type of page so people can see it or export the complete page as a pdf. If I go the pdf route though I will turn it into a ComicVine manual with a table of contents and all the rules and formatting guides all mashed together like a book. Other reason I haven't done this yet is that I'm kinda busy and there are not enough good examples yet that fully utilize everything that has been decided upon, if anybody runs across any good examples please let me know so I can gather them all up. "
I'd like to toss out some of the pages I've recently worked on. They might be long-ish, but they've been (mostly) created from scratch. For Story Arc, check out Zero Hour (though you probably already know the best of those better than I would). For Characters, check out Human Bomb for a mantle hero, and maybe Aztek for a non-mantle hero...
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pikahyper
@jrh7925 said:
" I'd like to toss out some of the pages I've recently worked on. They might be long-ish, but they've been (mostly) created from scratch. For Story Arc, check out Zero Hour (though you probably already know the best of those better than I would). For Characters, check out Human Bomb for a mantle hero, and maybe Aztek for a non-mantle hero... "
Thanks jrh, I've added Human Bomb and Aztek for the examples list, they both look pretty good, for the Aztek one you might want to include the season and episode numbers for the JLU episodes and maybe link each episode to its episode page on Screened to further show that people should be utilizing the sister sites.

The Zero Hour story arc is a very good one but I've kept it off the example list cause it doesn't use all of the extra headings like Non-U.S. Edition and Related Issue, I'll probably go for one of the newer larger story arcs once one of them gets reformatted.
jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jrh7925
@pikahyper said:
for the Aztek one you might want to include the season and episode numbers for the JLU episodes and maybe link each episode to its episode page on Screened to further show that people should be utilizing the sister sites.
ooooohhhh... I never thought of that! Good idea!
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pikahyper
@jrh7925 said:
" @pikahyper said:
for the Aztek one you might want to include the season and episode numbers for the JLU episodes and maybe link each episode to its episode page on Screened to further show that people should be utilizing the sister sites.
ooooohhhh... I never thought of that! Good idea! "
Hopefully people will pick up on it then and stop creating movies and stuff here and even start using it to link games in Other Media sections to Giant Bomb :P

I hadn't noticed it before but I'm gonna totally redo the DC Animated Universe concept, that sucker needs a face lift.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26  Edited By SC  Moderator
@pikahyper:  Thank you, that would be incredibly helpful (templates for smaller characters etc) when and if you get the time. (you seem to do a lot already so thanks for that too)

Does anyone know if there is a preferred way to add in powers and abilities? I have seen quite a few variations, is there a preferred standardized format? 
jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By jordama

Is it normal that we don't get all the ormal points that we are entitled to if we make the page in this format? Cause I remade a whole page and got a point for that. I did get points when I added Images and linked, just not for the text.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pikahyper
@jordama said:
" Is it normal that we don't get all the ormal points that we are entitled to if we make the page in this format? Cause I remade a whole page and got a point for that. I did get points when I added Images and linked, just not for the text. "
Yep it is normal, removing content from a wiki page only gets you the single point, even if you are shifting things around it still wouldn't be considered an addition because nothing new is added only deleted. Like you said though you do still get points from adding new links and images. Modding current wiki's to the new style guide is a selfless act but it is much appreciated by everyone :)
jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jordama
@pikahyper:
But I had deleted everything from the page and rewrote everything above powers from scratch and got a point
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pikahyper
@jordama said:
" @pikahyper: But I had deleted everything from the page and rewrote everything above powers from scratch and got a point "
Doesn't matter, you still removed content and then re-added, if you had re-added more content then was originally there you would have received addition points so you must have wrote less then what was previously there. The site doesn't have a way to distinguish between what was previously there and what is there now so it can't be quantified, all the site sees is that the page was one size and it either got bigger or smaller and it gives points based the change in size in increments based on what content was added.

The only way you could have received points for rewriting the entire thing was if you had deleted the whole thing and then submitted the page and then gone back into edit mode and wrote your new content, you would receive the one point for deleting and then however many new points from creating an all new article. I don't think there is any rule against doing that kind of thing but if you are going to I would suggest writing your new wiki content first in a text editor before deleting the old content just in case you get sidetracked or something and the wiki page ends up being left empty for a long period of time.
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rheged
@jordama said:
" @pikahyper: But I had deleted everything from the page and rewrote everything above powers from scratch and got a point "
Ouch.  Yeah, if you want the points, you have to do one Wiki edit where you delete whatever (text, images, links, etc.), and save the page.  Then do all your additions on a second Wiki edit and then save the page.  If you do a single deletion, it will 'nullify' any additions and give you much less (or even one) points.  So you may end up making deletions and saving and additions and saving several times.
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

The current theme for the task queue is "ENEMIES" pages.  Check out the Jean Grey enemies page   http://www.comicvine.com/jean-grey/29-3552/enemies/ 

Every enemy listed should have a short paragraph describing why/how the character is an enemy.  Over the years alot of us have just attached the characters and left in the default short description of the character.  But that tells us no clues about how/why they are enemies.   

We want to be able to read a couple sentences and find out if the character are one time enemies, long time enemies,  deadly enemies or just mild enemies. 

ENEMIES TASK QUEUE

MrFantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By MrFantastic
@Red L.A.M.P.:  So I checked Jean Grey enemies page and I noticed that the Magneto listing says:

"A telepath and telekinetic, Jean Grey was a member of the original team of X-Men and had fought Magneto many times over the years. Most recently she was killed by Xorn, who had been impersonating Magneto, with an EMP that made Jean experience the equivalence of 200 strokes at the same time."

Does the whole "A telepath and telekinetic, Jean Grey was a member of the original team of X-Men"  portion really have any value in the description of Magneto or should we be editing out that sort of thing?  Also the fact that Xorn was impersonating Magneto, really had no standing on Magneto so it should probably be corrected as well? 
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@MrFantastic: Yah, always be editing.  We want our wiki to be well written and informative.  So yes, editing that down to necessary details is a great idea.
CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

What do I do for Locations? Do we even have a template for locations?    

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pikahyper
@CrimsonAvenger said:
" What do I do for Locations? Do we even have a template for locations?     "
same as object and concept, just a "Overview" h2 heading, not many people take on locations though so get creative with it and post back here with your results and it will get checked out and if your layout is good it could be added to the style guide :)
pastfarpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By pastfarpoint

I've used some novel headings for story arcs.
See here & here.

Basically, it's what I thought would be useful for someone who either (a) is reading the arc, but wants to know what led up to it, or (b) someone who is reading a later story that refers to the arc which they haven't read. Hence I use:

• Plot summary - as is necessary
  • Preceding Events
  • Main Story - this is basically "Full Plot" and I might rename them as such to be uniform
  • Aftermath - in which I also include a subheading "Effect on Mythology"

Edit: Also: as a preference I would suggest that all the "Editions" stuff be under a single H2 heading, eg:
  • H2: "Editions"
  • H3: "Collected Editions"
  • H3 "Non-US Editions"
  • H3 "Related Items"
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pikahyper
@pastfarpoint said:
" I've used some novel headings for story arcs.

See here & here.

Basically, it's what I thought would be useful for someone who either (a) is reading the arc, but wants to know what led up to it, or (b) someone who is reading a later story that refers to the arc which they haven't read. Hence I use:
  • Plot summary - as is necessary
  • Preceding Events
  • Main Story - this is basically "Full Plot" and I might rename them as such to be uniform
  • Aftermath - in which I also include a subheading "Effect on Mythology"

"
looks nice, I don't think the colons are needed though.
pastfarpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By pastfarpoint
@pikahyper: Yeah I agree, I've deleted them on the two pages. Also what do you think of putting all those editions as H3's under a general H2 (as I've written in my edit in the post above - you were too quick to reply!)
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pikahyper
@pastfarpoint:  well I'm the one that came up with the editions h3's so I'm pretty partial to them :P I guess it could work though but it just seems like one more step making it a little bit more difficult when it doesn't need to be, people already don't realize that each h3 list is supposed to be in alpha order so the entries get all jumbled. 
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#41  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

This is awsome. Really helpful (glad we have a bution for this when looking at characters/teams)

ruckus24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#42  Edited By ruckus24

Creators are the rock stars that make the comics we love. Without them we have nothing, so it occurs to me that the creator pages on our wiki should be the best they can be. Let's face it, for the most part they kinda suck. In order to alleviate this I've come up with a style guide for creator pages (with the sage guidance of pikahyper) that seems to work quite well. The H2 and H3 tags go like this:

Personal Life

A short bio of said creator... where they're from, school, family, etc.

Career

A breakdown of the projects to which they've made a significant contribution. The H3 tags here would list by company ie.:

Marvel

DC

Indie

for further breakdowns within the indie section I use the company name in bold.

Awards

List the industry awards the creator has won.

Other Media

Significant projects the creator has accomplished outside of the comics field. In the Howard Chaykin Other Media section, I was able to link to Whiskey's sister site for movies and television easily.

Characters Created

An alphabetical listing of characters created by the writer or artist, H3 tags are again by publisher. 

Also, anywhere I've made lists, I've used the unordered list function. The black box pips seem to set things of well visually. Included here are two examples for everybody to peruse. The Howard Chaykin page has pictures included within the article space which I'm thinking of removing because I hate all the extra white space. The Matt Wagner page is without pictures within the article space and I think it works much better. So, what do you all think. This is a wiki after all and by its nature collaborative. Does anyone have any questions, comments, concerns, observations and whatnot?

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By KRYPTON

This is awesome R-Lamp, finished the Batman page 'Current Events'

thanobomb1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By thanobomb1124

oh wow

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jordama

oooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo  

Current events section.

LordTaronji101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By LordTaronji101

I have been having a problem with submitting a new team to comicvine. It lets me write the name, add the two sentence summary and put a picture but it won't let me propose it. It may be my computer, i hope not. DO you have any ideas why its doing this. And its not just for proposing teams by the way, for image submissions anything that involves wiki editing it won't let me do. Any help would be great. 

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aiden Cross
@BoboKrypto101: Have you tried switching browsers? Sometimes a thing won't work on IE so you'll need to switch to Firefox or Chrome. Also this should actually be a topic in Bug Reporting forum ;)
AmishAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48  Edited By AmishAvenger

Anyone have a suggestion on how to write a overview for an object that as been used in more then one comic, by more than one publisher, and has more then one Origin and differnet powers in each printing? ie Pandora's Box.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pikahyper

@AmishAvenger said:

Anyone have a suggestion on how to write a overview for an object that as been used in more then one comic, by more than one publisher, and has more then one Origin and differnet powers in each printing? ie Pandora's Box.

Overview

Basic explanation of what it is, where it came from, time period, origin but nothing super detailed and leave out its powers. If it is a historical/real object you can probably go into that a little as well.

Publisher A

First Appearance:blah blah #1

Overview

Explanation of what it is and where it is now.

Origin

Objects origin

Powers

Publisher specific powers.

Major Story Arcs

Not necessary but if it has been an important object it will probably have at least one of these.

Publisher B

First Appearance:blah blah blah #3

Overview

Explanation of what it is and where it is now.

Origin

Objects origin

Powers

Publisher specific powers.

Major Story Arcs

Not necessary but if it has been an important object it will probably have at least one of these.

--------------------------

Main overview and publisher names = H3

Secondary overview, origin, powers, major story arcs = H2

First appearance = bold

Links = non bold

This setup wouldn't work for all objects but it can be easily tweaked, give it a shot on an object page though and post back here for us to see and critique :)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Billy Batson

@ruckus24 said:

Creators are the rock stars that make the comics we love. Without them we have nothing, so it occurs to me that the creator pages on our wiki should be the best they can be. Let's face it, for the most part they kinda suck. In order to alleviate this I've come up with a style guide for creator pages (with the sage guidance of pikahyper) that seems to work quite well. The H2 and H3 tags go like this:

Personal Life

A short bio of said creator... where they're from, school, family, etc.

Career

A breakdown of the projects to which they've made a significant contribution. The H3 tags here would list by company ie.:

Marvel

DC

Indie

for further breakdowns within the indie section I use the company name in bold.

Awards

List the industry awards the creator has won.

Other Media

Significant projects the creator has accomplished outside of the comics field. In the Howard Chaykin Other Media section, I was able to link to Whiskey's sister site for movies and television easily.

Characters Created

An alphabetical listing of characters created by the writer or artist, H3 tags are again by publisher.

Also, anywhere I've made lists, I've used the unordered list function. The black box pips seem to set things of well visually. Included here are two examples for everybody to peruse. The Howard Chaykin page has pictures included within the article space which I'm thinking of removing because I hate all the extra white space. The Matt Wagner page is without pictures within the article space and I think it works much better. So, what do you all think. This is a wiki after all and by its nature collaborative. Does anyone have any questions, comments, concerns, observations and whatnot?

I have a question. For example in the Grant Morrison page there's a a bibliography section (not just the Morrison page has it.) I don't get it. Why have it when there's this?

No Caption Provided

BB