This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

I really think it's better that the poll threads should show the number of votes rather than percentage so we would exactly know how many have voted.

#3 Posted by JediXMan (30345 posts) - - Show Bio

It says the grand total of votes. It's not too hard to do the math.

#4 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

#5 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@JediXMan said:

Easy only when there are only two choices but how about if their are a lot of choices?

#6 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: 32

#8 Edited by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@jhazzroucher: 32

i mean the number of votes per choice.

for example, how many voted for Shadowcat, for Storm, for Psylocke, etc

#9 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: That's not the grand total you had 121 votes 26.4% of them were for Emma Frost. 32 people are idiots by the way(kidding)

#10 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: I think in that case there would be 24-25 voters for storm, but could be wrong...

#11 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@jhazzroucher: I think in that case there would be 24-25 voters for storm, but could be wrong...

but then again, it would really be easier to just put the numbers and not the percentages, right?

I hope you and the other mods could consider my opinion.

#12 Posted by TheVoiceOfReason (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Its pretty easy to do the math if you really wanted to know.

#13 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be unnecessary

#14 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@The Poet said:

but then again, it would really be easier to just put the numbers and not the percentages, right?

It's doubtful, the mods have no control of the site's systems. Anyway, it's a minor mathematical issue, going in and changing it while not difficult could be time consuming.

#15 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@The Poet said:

It's doubtful, the mods have no control of the site's systems. Anyway, it's a minor mathematical issue, going in and changing it while not difficult could be time consuming.

but at least they could send a message to the technical team.

I even think there's only one button to press to switch the percentages into numbers.

#16 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@The Poet said:

I even think there's only one button to press to switch the percentages into numbers.

Not really it depends how the code is written. Do they need to go back and redo all the polls to keep the system internal coherent? Do they have the system that's using percentage being used some where else?

#18 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@The Poet said:

Not really it depends how the code is written. Do they need to go back and redo all the polls to keep the system internal coherent? Do they have the system that's using percentage being used some where else?

You have a point. But I was thinking about making a graph in the computer which you can easily switch from numbers to percentages and vice versa.

It's not gonna be easy but it's not gonna be hard

i don't think the code would be difficult and I think it's not gonna be difficult to change it.

#19 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: @TheCrowbar: Well, I know the site platform is being rebuilt, so the techs are all busy doing that to fix something like that.

I have the say my only solution is to post this in the Ways and Ideas to improve Comicvine thread and maybe it'll be considered by the staff. For the moment however you'll have to be satisfied in just multiplying the percentages by the total to find the amount who voted for one of the options (remember to set the percent as a decimal when multiplying)

#20 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@jhazzroucher: @TheCrowbar: Well, I know the site platform is being rebuilt, so the techs are all busy doing that to fix something like that.

I have the say my only solution is to post this in the Ways and Ideas to improve Comicvine thread and maybe it'll be considered by the staff. For the moment however you'll have to be satisfied in just multiplying the percentages by the total to find the amount who voted for one of the options (remember to set the percent as a decimal when multiplying)

thanks, The Poet.

TheCrowbar is my current bestfriend by the way. hahaha : )

#21 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people forget programming has it's own languages, HOW you tell a computer to do something is just as important as the what.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

What will knowing the exact numbers of votes tell you that a percentage won't?

#23 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

What will knowing the exact numbers of votes tell you that a percentage won't?

the exact number of votes.

#24 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: The exact number of votes is right above the poll, if you don't want to do the math yourself there are literally hundreds of web sites that can do it for you in a couple seconds. The percentage is more efficient for a site dealing with thousands of possible voters

#25 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@jhazzroucher: The exact number of votes is right above the poll, if you don't want to do the math yourself there are literally hundreds of web sites that can do it for you in a couple seconds. The percentage is more efficient for a site dealing with thousands of possible voters

I'm referring to the exact number of votes for each choice, not the grand total.

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: and you could find that with a calculator

#27 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: emma 32 psylock 11 rogue 14 shadowcat 21 storm 25 jean 22

just do percentage times grand total and remove the last two zeros

#28 Posted by pikahyper (11924 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt this would be anywhere near important enough to even be added to the list of things to add to this site, hmm more detailed polls or revision history, think I'm gonna go with revision history, hmm more detailed polls or the ability to ban an IP, yep goin with that second one again, more detailed polls or fix that wiki image caption glitch, welll that seconds ones just a small annoyance but yep gonna have to go with the second option again.

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: I just wish there was a way to empty your inbox without going thru every page, you forget to do it for a month and that becomes a chore quick

#30 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Good suggestion but might better belong in site suggestions?
#31 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

By the way I voted no, if anyone really wants to know this and doesn't want to use a calculator just ask me personally.  As pika I would rather do that than bother the site technicians.  

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I was just using it as an example to show my agreement with the poster I was replying to

#33 Posted by pikahyper (11924 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I'd say being able to delete things from your outbox is more important then more inbox controls :P

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: true

#35 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@jhazzroucher: and you could find that with a calculator

it's still easier to just see the numbers and calculate.

@Jorgevy said:

@jhazzroucher: emma 32 psylock 11 rogue 14 shadowcat 21 storm 25 jean 22

just do percentage times grand total and remove the last two zeros

how long did it took you? no matter how short it is, it's still longer than what i am suggesting.

@pikahyper said:

I doubt this would be anywhere near important enough to even be added to the list of things to add to this site, hmm more detailed polls or revision history, think I'm gonna go with revision history, hmm more detailed polls or the ability to ban an IP, yep goin with that second one again, more detailed polls or fix that wiki image caption glitch, welll that seconds ones just a small annoyance but yep gonna have to go with the second option again.

why not do both and not just go for the second option?

@RazzaTazz said:

By the way I voted no, if anyone really wants to know this and doesn't want to use a calculator just ask me personally. As pika I would rather do that than bother the site technicians.

it is a hassle to bring a calculator and calculate rather than just seeing the numbers right away.

and i don't have a calculator. i only surf on an internet cafe cos no money to buy for my own.

#36 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14595 posts) - - Show Bio

NO.....

#37 Posted by pikahyper (11924 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: that would require having the time to do it.

#38 Posted by Teerack (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

Um... it give you the total number of voters and the percentages. Any 6th grader should be able to figure out how many votes were in each option.

#39 Posted by Billy Batson (57957 posts) - - Show Bio

lawl.

BB

#40 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

Um... it give you the total number of voters and the percentages. Any 6th grader should be able to figure out how many votes were in each option.

you would need a calculator though to know faster.

#41 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: it took me about 20 seconds because it's quite simple mathematics

#42 Posted by Teerack (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Teerack said:

you would need a calculator though to know faster.

It's not hard to get it in your head, or at least pretty close in your head. Especially considering there aren't any decimals because you cant have a part of a vote. Idk maybe I'm exaggerating the average amount of math people should be able to do in their heads, but if you really need a calculator every computer has one under accessories.

#43 Posted by jhazzroucher (15592 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

@jhazzroucher: it took me about 20 seconds because it's quite simple mathematics

compare that to just seeing the numbers right away. What I'm trying to say is that we wouldn't need to calculate if the polls would give us the numbers and not percentages.

#44 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Jorgevy said:

compare that to just seeing the numbers right away. What I'm trying to say is that we wouldn't need to calculate if the polls would give us the numbers and not percentages.

I think that to end this discussion that it is an extremely low priority. I am not sure why the numbers matter anyway. Is it just so you can say "15 people agree"? Because if yes then it is just as easy to state the percentage. If you really have any issues with this, and I am online, just PM me and I will quickly figure it out for you. As for now though I am locking this thread.