Why No Longer Point Credit for Posting Pictures?

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Prior to the new system, we used to get a nice amount of points applied to a character, for each picture posted. I forget exactly, but I think 10 points. Anyway, now we get absolutely -0-. This does not seem right. We should at least get 2 points applied to our total for a character for every picture we upload. If not, why should we bother to upload images?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

You get a point for tagging a picture.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By catfightfan

I am still not sure if we get a point. I think I have seen many times when we do not. Anyway, even if we do get a point, is not added to our total for the character to which the image applies. Why? This is like "ghost voting". Where is the trail if we get a point? How can we get a point if it is not applied to a character or team?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#5  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

yep too much abuse, you get no points for adding images, where the points come in is when you do more then just adding images, you get points for tagging and adding captions, that goes along with the whole quality over quantity aspect. Galleries are so much harder to navigate now so I'm glad this is acting as a deterrent cause we get fewer people flooding galleries with undesirable images, last I checked the image uploader was also limited to adding 20 images at a time so that's good too.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK. I always try and add a caption to my images and I agree that requiring such is a good idea to get a point. I also only add one image at a time. I never knew we could do anything more. But again, why does not the point get added to the total for the character page involved, at least I do not believe that it does?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#7 pikahyper  Moderator

@catfightfan: the point totals are page specific so they only display on the page you worked on, when they built the new platform I don't think they knew that points accrued on a child or sibling page should be connected to the parent page, so using your example points earned in a gallery won't show on the main page, another example is stub pages, if you create a stub page from an issue page the points earned displays on the issue page instead of on the stub page, that's also why the creator of the stub page is not associated with the stub page as it does not inherit anything. Pretty sure if you edit a guide the points don't show on the parent page either. Something of an oddity but you get used to it.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe we can keep this subject in mind and the next time the computer platform is updated, we can request that points added to secondary pages get added to the parent page? Thanks!

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

It was one of the reasons that deterred some of the Screened and Anime Vice wiki editors. I told them about Comic Vine's wiki editing, and this was discouraging plus the lack of coding system. It makes the Wikia system more appealing to some users who are code saavy. I talked and listened to them about the freedom they get in the Wikia compared to newly revamped Comic Vine system. That's one of the main appeals there.

Mainly, the wiki editors are either episode writers or folks who create and attach pages. For the folks who write summaries, they will find this discouraging. For those who are foundation type editors, they don't mind this no point credit for image system.

Just posting my observations.