When is a death considered a death? (RE: Punisher)

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jamesewelch

** SPOILERS ***  

In Dark Reign: The List - Punisher, Frank Castle dies. His head and limbs are dismembered by Daken. The comic clearly shows his head and limbs separated and throw off a building and then carried back to the sewers. So Frank Castle is dead... However, Punisher #11 (Vol 7) is releasing in a couple of weeks to find Frankencastle (a Frankenstein version of a re-animated Frank Castle - Punisher).  

So does this count as a death for Punisher, if we know he'll be reanimated next month?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

despite these deep thoughts.......multiple death issues can be added.

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By jamesewelch

I've tried to avoid adding deaths, because of that. In Punisher 9, G.W. Bridge looks like he's dead (Punisher thinks he's dead) and I almost added it, but then in #10 he rises up and shoots someone. So I still don't know if he dies off camera in #10 or if he just got up and walked/crawled away.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@jamesewelch: New comics are tough. I don't even add new characters until I find out it's truly a new character (which can be many issues later). You never know when things are so current.
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By castleking

No Caption Provided
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@aztek the lost: I know you know. Just pointing it out. I say you are dead if you meet one of the following criteria:

a) travel to the afterlife, even if you are turned back or fight going there and return to your body
b) need to be revived - heart stopped, returned through modern medicine, magic, powers
c) Need to be resurrected - through magic or powers or crazy plot

A vampire is a good question, I think I would count that as a death.
The reader thinking someone is dead shouldn't count
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@aztek the lost: I forgot about just 'visiting' heaven, hell, limbo etc. That shouldn't count. I was thinking more of a 'follow the light' situation.

I think whether a writer retcons something or not, they still died in the issue. 

Off screen death should count. I think the question should really be 'What does someone use the information of a death issue for?' Is it just an informative tool? Is it an attraction, like 'I have to see the issue where _______ dies' ?  Or is it a simple way to view if a character has died and how many times have they been dead? If we know what people expect out of a death issue we could define a death much easier.
Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
@jamesewelch: The Death of which you speak i have not long read. I like the Punisher loved the character once and enjoyed this, it seemed fitting for Frank and even though he will not stay dead for long if this were the end, there have been worse ways (story wise) to go.
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Well like most things, I think it's a judgment call. Hopefully any death issue added is also written about on the character's page so that issues can be found and a short explanation is written to make someone want to find the issue and read it. That's in a perfect world of course.

kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By kore

Do "What If?" and "Elseworld" deaths count?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17  Edited By danhimself
@aztek the lost said:
  Or more confusedly (for me), does it count if in that issue you are supposed to think the character died but later you find out they didn't die? "
no that doesn't count...there are a lot of people who count those moments into Jean Grey's death count but that's stupid
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Another thing; how do we list a death that happens off-panel?
For example Shinobi Shaw was confirmed alive and powered in the 198 files, but apparently killed off-panel since he's resurrected in X-Necrosha. 
I guess we don't list any death issue at all, and only mention it in the overview?