What info goes above the summary, below the issue name?

JohnnyDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

User Lists: 0

When you go to edit a page, you have the option of writing in that box, above the summary. What type of info should go there? I couldn't find the answer on the forums.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@johnnydarkness: that's called the deck, it is meant to be a very short original text summary of a page and it is very useful for most page types when users use the search page of the site. The two main types of pages where it is not useful are episodes and issues where I've been requesting it be removed, on the old site the deck was not an editable field for volumes/issues because it was unnecessary and never used correctly and it still isn't. Most people tend to try and put official solicits/synopsis in it which is against the rules because official text blurbs can only be added in italics and that field is very basic with no formatting and it has a low word count limit or users put redundant data in it like issue names/numbers cause it is a required field when creating a new page.

I recommend people not fill it in for issues/episodes and use it sparingly for volumes/series and to bypass the requirement when creating a new page you just have to put a space in the box.

JohnnyDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

User Lists: 0

I have to admit I still don't quite understand.

If you fill out a deck, does it appear on every issue page of that volume? Or just that issue?

Would you want to put issue "notes" in the deck?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@johnnydarkness: Think of the deck as a synopsis or summary of a page, it only shows for that page, for issue pages it tends to be useless and at best people put like a teaser line in it but I prefer it not be used because issue pages tend to be on the short side and most info added to a deck would be fairly redundant and looks better in other areas of the page because you can apply formatting to it, on the old site it wasn't even viewable for volumes or issues.

I have put in requests for the deck to be hidden again for volumes/issues though and even if those requests are ignored and their usage is pushed for it will probably be modified so that we should add official solicits to the deck and then on the back end of the site it automatically adds italics and then the main description would be specifically for user written content, doing it that way makes sense cause then the official text would be separated from original text and it would insure solicits are properly formatted.

Notes in the deck would be a bad idea as notes should always be at the lowest info point below the description/solicit/chapters/stories as that info is more relevant/important, if it ever comes up that you have to put something in the deck just put a space.