This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by CATMANEXE--defunct (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icarusflies: 
mine will be dancing. it will make you smile every time you see it, i promise =D
#202 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
"

animated gif use for avatars. we are ready the time iz now!

"
I heard they had them at one point but the site couldn't maintain it or something
#203 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

A way to turn off quests, or a way to transfer the ones you've already done to a different account. Whenever i switch accounts (it's a rpg thing) I get the same old quests pop up again, and it's kind of annoying if you've already done 'm before. Plus, not everyone is involved with the quests.

#204 Posted by Digifiend (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Search customisation (Options menu) when linking in forum and wiki posts please. I have to open a volume in a new tab, when linking to a dupe in the dupe deletion thread for example, because issues aren't in the default search criteria (so I have to copy and paste the link instead). Would also make it easier to link to other issues if one comic contains reprints from another (such as the UK Panini published Marvel Collectors editions, which reprint three US issues per UK issue).

#205 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

An idea I just want to throw out there: Colored text 

#206 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

Chatbox

Moderator
#207 Posted by Yumulu (757 posts) - - Show Bio

The possibility to add the date at the same time you add an issue.

#208 Posted by Digifiend (580 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu said:
" The possibility to add the date at the same time you add an issue. "
I agree with this. Would save time.
#209 Posted by pikahyper (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

For the love of god can someone please flush out the zero appearances that defile thousands (probably) of wiki pages !!!!

Moderator
#210 Posted by Yumulu (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Remove the possibility to add anything on the site without a description.
 
@pikahyper said:

" For the love of god can someone please flush out the zero appearances that defile thousands (probably) of wiki pages !!!! "

You mean to remove every page with 0 appearance or the 0 appearances bug?
#211 Posted by pikahyper (12682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu:  well there is no reason for the wiki to ever display 0 appearances (other then in the sidebar when something isn't attached to anything) so flush it out now to get rid of all of the current ones and then fix the back-end code so that it can't display 0 entries ever again and at the same time maybe fix it so it always shows the correct number of appearances, the two are probably linked somehow.
Moderator
#212 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" Chatbox "
THIS.
#213 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123
@The Dark Huntress said:
" Chatbox "
THIS.
xD
Moderator
#214 Posted by Digifiend (580 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been mentioned in another thread... volume aliases. Sometimes a volume changes its name without any indicia change, especially in the UK, where some titles don't even have an indicia (just © I.P.C. Magazines Ltd 1969 on the front cover or © D.C. Thomson and Co. Ltd 1998 on the back cover for example, with no mention of the comic's name). In such situations, if the numbering stays the same, it's still the same volume, I'd say. Examples being Wolverine and Deadpool volume 1, which was previously Wolverine Unleashed, then Wolverine and Gambit; The Dandy, which from 2007-2010 was titled Dandy Xtreme; The Beano Annual, which was called the Beano Book from 1940-42 and 1951-2002, and The Magic-Beano Book from 1943-1950 (due to wartime paper rationing forcing a merger with The Magic Fun Book); The Dandy Annual, which was previously named The Dandy Monster Comic then the Dandy Book; Hotspur volume 2, which started as The New Hotspur; and of course The X-Men volume 1, an American example which had the title The Uncanny X-Men for years before the indicia was changed. Another US title, Four Color comics, would need a lot of aliases, as the front cover titles were entirely different, and people looking up those characters won't currently find that volume. The most recent example is Superman Legends, which two months ago changed to DC Universe Presents (as a consequence of Final Crisis I think), but kept the same numbering. 
 
Creators could use an alias section as well, because sometimes people change their name, such as when a woman gets married. After all, Stan Lee isn't his real name, and he's certainly not the only one to have used a different name professionally to that they were born with.

#215 Posted by jrh7925 (254 posts) - - Show Bio
@digifiend said:  
Creators could use an alias section as well, because sometimes people change their name, such as when a woman gets married. After all, Stan Lee isn't his real name, and he's certainly not the only one to have used a different name professionally to that they were born with. "
I definitely agree with this, having accidentally created two creators because their names were either misspelled or changed their first name.
#216 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

The ability to add aliases to things other than characters.

Moderator
#217 Posted by Pokeysteve (8652 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there an "ask a mod" thread? It's seems like it'd be way easier than searching 20 different help threads or PMing one of them. They're busy, I feel bad, and sometimes they never write back. One thread. Ask a Mod. With all the different moderators there are, that would be the fastest way to get any help and it would probably lessen the crap they have to fix daily. Wow this turned out to be more of a question than a suggestion......see what I mean =D 
#218 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pokeysteve said:
" Is there an "ask a mod" thread? It's seems like it'd be way easier than searching 20 different help threads or PMing one of them. They're busy, I feel bad, and sometimes they never write back. One thread. Ask a Mod. With all the different moderators there are, that would be the fastest way to get any help and it would probably lessen the crap they have to fix daily. Wow this turned out to be more of a question than a suggestion......see what I mean =D  "
 There is no such thread. Although one would be useful. 
Moderator
#219 Posted by Pokeysteve (8652 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Pokeysteve said:
" Is there an "ask a mod" thread? It's seems like it'd be way easier than searching 20 different help threads or PMing one of them. They're busy, I feel bad, and sometimes they never write back. One thread. Ask a Mod. With all the different moderators there are, that would be the fastest way to get any help and it would probably lessen the crap they have to fix daily. Wow this turned out to be more of a question than a suggestion......see what I mean =D  "
 There is no such thread. Although one would be useful.  "

Then that is my suggestion. An "Ask a Mod" thread.  
 
And once again how the hell are you everywhere at once!?! You're like Droopy haha ever see a Droopy cartoon? The little dog who talks slow. There's a wolf that always tries to get away from Droopy so he gets in a cab and goes to the airport, hops a plane and lands somewhere then gets in a car which takes him to a beach where he jumps in a boat and drives to an island where he speed runs through the jungle into a dark cave and finally sits down and breathes in relief and he hears "Hello". You are Droopy haha.
#220 Posted by Alfiebo (39 posts) - - Show Bio

How about being able to upload videos to your profile and if they get over 1,000 views the go on latest news?

#221 Edited by Digifiend (580 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alfiebo:
In the text box on your bio (Settings, About Me), click on Insert, Video. You can already post videos. Works on the blog too. :)
#222 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

My newest annoyance: I understand the need for the new editing on the big pages of Superman and Batman. However, myself and others who worked on those pages now find that large sections that we spend a lot of time on completely deleted and not even relocated to a different area. Without even so much as a notice about it. it really makes me questions why I should bother with editing when it simply gets deleted with not even a word about it or even input. 
 
So far, this is only about the large pages. But it seems there's no consideration for the work people put into the pages.

#223 Posted by Pokeysteve (8652 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise said:
" My newest annoyance: I understand the need for the new editing on the big pages of Superman and Batman. However, myself and others who worked on those pages now find that large sections that we spend a lot of time on completely deleted and not even relocated to a different area. Without even so much as a notice about it. it really makes me questions why I should bother with editing when it simply gets deleted with not even a word about it or even input.   So far, this is only about the large pages. But it seems there's no consideration for the work people put into the pages. "
I haven't edited a major page like that yet and that issue scares me. I don't want to spend a few days or even a week on a huge submission only to have some idiot delete everything. A lot of the mods are major editors so hopefully it annoys them just as much to get them pushing for a solution. 
#224 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pokeysteve said:
" @Precise said:
" My newest annoyance: I understand the need for the new editing on the big pages of Superman and Batman. However, myself and others who worked on those pages now find that large sections that we spend a lot of time on completely deleted and not even relocated to a different area. Without even so much as a notice about it. it really makes me questions why I should bother with editing when it simply gets deleted with not even a word about it or even input.   So far, this is only about the large pages. But it seems there's no consideration for the work people put into the pages. "
I haven't edited a major page like that yet and that issue scares me. I don't want to spend a few days or even a week on a huge submission only to have some idiot delete everything. A lot of the mods are major editors so hopefully it annoys them just as much to get them pushing for a solution.  "
I understand why they're doing it. Some pages are just too long. We don't need a panel by panel description of everything that a character's ever been in. However, it would be awesome if people who have put tons of work into pages are at least notified and given a chance to save their work elsewhere before it is simply erased.
Moderator
#225 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Pokeysteve said:
" @Precise said:
" My newest annoyance: I understand the need for the new editing on the big pages of Superman and Batman. However, myself and others who worked on those pages now find that large sections that we spend a lot of time on completely deleted and not even relocated to a different area. Without even so much as a notice about it. it really makes me questions why I should bother with editing when it simply gets deleted with not even a word about it or even input.   So far, this is only about the large pages. But it seems there's no consideration for the work people put into the pages. "
I haven't edited a major page like that yet and that issue scares me. I don't want to spend a few days or even a week on a huge submission only to have some idiot delete everything. A lot of the mods are major editors so hopefully it annoys them just as much to get them pushing for a solution.  "
I understand why they're doing it. Some pages are just too long. We don't need a panel by panel description of everything that a character's ever been in. However, it would be awesome if people who have put tons of work into pages are at least notified and given a chance to save their work elsewhere before it is simply erased. "
I did say I understand the reasoning behind it. But the work should at the very least be relocated or notified about it. This new way of dealing with pages has put me off of editing. And I won't edit pages anymore if they continue on this path.
#226 Posted by Yumulu (757 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise:  It a free wiki site editable by anyone so it should not be that surprising that stuff you write can be edited  (or completely removed in this case) by anyone. It should be the responsability of the individual to save his work elsewhere if he want to be sure to keep it intact not the responsability of the website. It my humble opinion of course.
#227 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu: There are codes written into the site that prevent people from removing large portions of text so that people's work doesn't get deleted like this. All we're asking for is a notification that it's going to happen, I don't think that's too much to ask for.  
 
@Precise: Agreed. I tend to stick to volume pages now, but I do have a good amount of points on character pages on my other account. 
Moderator
#228 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu:  Free site or not, it does revolve around a community, and it's the community that is also editing the pages so there should be a certain amount of respect towards them for their hard work they put into pages. In my eyes, it's poor community management, something that has been discussed by other members and ever moderators besides me. of course, this is just my opinion and i don't expect everyone to agree.
#229 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Yumulu: There are codes written into the site that prevent people from removing large portions of text so that people's work doesn't get deleted like this. All we're asking for is a notification that it's going to happen, I don't think that's too much to ask for.  
 
@Precise: Agreed. I tend to stick to volume pages now, but I do have a good amount of points on character pages on my other account.  "
Um no there isn't 
#230 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: My mistake. 
Moderator
#231 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: It's annoying sometimes when people remove a whole page of work and just change a few things, mostly happens when people get live edits.
#232 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: Doesn't it have to go through moderation though, if you remove a large amount of text from a page, despite having live edits? I thought I heard something about that somewhere. And I can only imagine. 
Moderator
#233 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: If you have live edits.. no matter the size of the edit...it's live !! hence live edit
#234 Posted by Yumulu (757 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise:  The thing I don't understand if it you wanted to keep what you edited that much why you did not made a backup of it on your computer? 
If someone create a dupe or a character that don't appear in any comics the page will be deleted no mather how much work has been put on that page because it not relevant to have that information on this site, a similar thing happened here, there where an overflow of information on story arc in the characters pages which was not deemed relevant to the site so it as been deleted. Text get deleted or changed everyday after all.I don't find it irrespecfull  against the community because in the long run it that same community which will benefit for characters pages more focused on the actual character than to the different story arcs. This site is far from perfect, there will probably be a lot more changes in the future and I don't expect the staff pm everyone every times they want to make the site go in a certain direction.
By free site I meant that anyone could edit or delete part of your work they don't need your permission to do it.
#235 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: Again, my mistake. 
Moderator
#236 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Was I being to sarcastic again... I can never really tell.
#237 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: Nope. You don't know my family but sarcasm is their lifeblood. I'm used to it. Plus, I talk to DC all the time so again, used to it. 
Moderator
#238 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Final Arrow: Nope. You don't know my family but sarcasm is their lifeblood. I'm used to it. Plus, I talk to DC all the time so again, used to it.  "
What DC does is not sarcasm, he tries but it's not.
#239 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: You're right. It's mostly just derogatory comments and being a prick. But he's a lovable prick. :P
Moderator
#240 Posted by Digifiend (580 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" I understand why they're doing it. Some pages are just too long. We don't need a panel by panel description of everything that a character's ever been in. However, it would be awesome if people who have put tons of work into pages are at least notified and given a chance to save their work elsewhere before it is simply erased. "
It wouldn't be a problem if we could access the edit history, like you can on Wikipedia.
#241 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@digifiend said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" I understand why they're doing it. Some pages are just too long. We don't need a panel by panel description of everything that a character's ever been in. However, it would be awesome if people who have put tons of work into pages are at least notified and given a chance to save their work elsewhere before it is simply erased. "
It wouldn't be a problem if we could access the edit history, like you can on Wikipedia. "
I believe that's something only mods and/or staff have the capability to do. 
Moderator
#242 Posted by Jake Fury (19187 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an idea for the battle forums. I personally think every new battle that is created should have to go through a screening process by mods to determine if its a fair battle and worthy of debating.  
 
I think this would eliminate a lot of the battle forum problems.
#243 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" This is an idea for the battle forums. I personally think every new battle that is created should have to go through a screening process by mods to determine if its a fair battle and worthy of debating.   I think this would eliminate a lot of the battle forum problems. "
If this does happen I'd feel really bad for the mods. But I do see the sense in it. 
Moderator
#244 Posted by Pokeysteve (8652 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Final Arrow: Doesn't it have to go through moderation though, if you remove a large amount of text from a page, despite having live edits? I thought I heard something about that somewhere. And I can only imagine.  "
@Final Arrow said:
" @The Dark Huntress: If you have live edits.. no matter the size of the edit...it's live !! hence live edit "
There is an idea and a way to improve Comic Vine here somewhere. How about all submissions worth more than X amount of points have to go through moderation until you reach Y amount of points? It would surely cut down on the copy/pasting problems too. Also has anything written here in 13 pages ever been put into action?
#245 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pokeysteve Linking whiskey media accounts.
Moderator
#246 Posted by Vance Astro (91403 posts) - - Show Bio

Fix the wiki so that it doesn't highlight or italicize thinks randomly for no reason.
Also bring back the function of when I go to the forums tab..it shows me threads that I created...not just the ones I posted in..5 pages of threads i've posted in does me no good.I have also tried to find certain threads I created by their exact name in search and got nothing. 

Moderator
#247 Posted by Pokeysteve (8652 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: So posting here ISN"T a waste of time haha? Good to know. 
#248 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pokeysteve: There's no guarantee that they'll even see it, but it never hurts. 
Moderator
#249 Edited by Pokeysteve (8652 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: True. I bet the Staff people come here every now and again.  *waves to staff*
#250 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pokeysteve: They do. ^_^ And mods are in here pretty continuously. 
Moderator