This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mediant said:

"Allow for searches with select criteria like Characters, Volumes, Publisher."

Scroll to the top of the page.  At the end of the Search Box it says 'Options' in light grey.  Click on that to reveal a drop down menu that includes volumes, issues, movies & topics, as well as the usual selection of characters, teams, etc.    

#52 Posted by Chaos Burn (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it possible to bring up a list of characters based on selections you make?
for example would I be able to generate a list of characters by selecting >Marvel>Mutants>Females

#53 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18823 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" I think CV should bring back the ability to see all the threads made by a single user by going to their page and clicking on "Forums" I haven't been able to find alot of the threads i've made unless my name are in them. "
Dude i freakin miss that part D: It's now all difficult to look for threads now >.>
#54 Posted by MichaeltheFly (6555 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"@Michael the Fly said:

"Another thing that would prove useful would be if the staff added the location, concepts and objects under the characters and teams to the respective publishers profiles pages. "

I'd like this.  AnimeVice have franchises & concepts that work in a similar vein to this.  It would be really helpful, and would help present a location's page in a more professional format, instead of just having it as a long list of residents.    "
It would be most useful, for me and my lists it would be gold. I mean I wouldn't have to look on the entire object section to find cosmic related objects. But I am glad you agree with me on this one.
#55 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people should have to provide source information when uploading images. It bugs the hell out of me when browsing images and you have to comment to ask where the pic is from... 

Also, I think that there should be a Video Games section, seeing as there is a Film section, so the info isn't just tacked on to the bottom of the wiki page.

#56 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
"I think people should have to provide source information when uploading images. It bugs the hell out of me when browsing images and you have to comment to ask where the pic is from...  Also, I think that there should be a Video Games section, seeing as there is a Film section, so the info isn't just tacked on to the bottom of the wiki page. "

I've been leaving a Caption of what issue all my images come from... and I STILL get people asking 'What's this from?'.  Also, when I upload the soliciation covers en masse I don't want to be restricted to adding issue details according to a tiny icon of the image.  Nice idea, but I think it would be too impractical. 

As for a Video Games section... I'll scream tot he rooftops 'no no no!'.  The movies section is a mess & it's so difficult to moderate.  My personal feelings (which don't reflect that of the Staff or Whiskey Media Group) is to dump the Movies section completely.  Now that we have Screened, our own (messy) Movie section seems redundant & amateurish.  In all honesty, I think the same would happen with a video games section.  GiantBomb does a great job covering games, we'd only be repeating what they've already done.
#57 Posted by Vance Astro (91114 posts) - - Show Bio

If we can't already do this...We should be able to attach blog posts to specific threads without the mods moving them there.They shouldn't have to do that.

#58 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
As for a Video Games section... I'll scream tot he rooftops 'no no no!'.  The movies section is a mess & it's so difficult to moderate.  My personal feelings (which don't reflect that of the Staff or Whiskey Media Group) is to dump the Movies section completely.  Now that we have Screened, our own (messy) Movie section seems redundant & amateurish.  In all honesty, I think the same would happen with a video games section.  GiantBomb does a great job covering games, we'd only be repeating what they've already done. "
I'd like to know which character is featured in each game though and be able to click their links etc. Can you do that on GiantBomb? I love that the movies section has lists of each character that is featured in it.
#59 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Michael the Fly said:

" Another thing that would prove useful would be if the staff added the location, concepts and objects under the characters and teams to the respective publishers profiles pages. "

I have a hard time using concepts, so anything that would make them more accessible and easier to use would be cool with me. 

@Mediant said:
  • Appearances
    • Allow for sorting by release date (latest appearance).
    • Allow for sorting by character's significance in issue.

There are sorting tabs on the Appearance page, and one is for sorting by release date.  It has a + and - you can click on to sort by earliest and latest.  It appears to be a little wonky, as it doesn't seem to sort by months also, but it sorts by years, at least.  Of course, if folks haven't put in the release date ...

Sorting by signifcance would mean that info would have to be put in when the character was added, right?
    #60 Edited by Vance Astro (91114 posts) - - Show Bio
    @Danial79 said:

" @xerox-kitty said:

As for a Video Games section... I'll scream tot he rooftops 'no no no!'.  The movies section is a mess & it's so difficult to moderate.  My personal feelings (which don't reflect that of the Staff or Whiskey Media Group) is to dump the Movies section completely.  Now that we have Screened, our own (messy) Movie section seems redundant & amateurish.  In all honesty, I think the same would happen with a video games section.  GiantBomb does a great job covering games, we'd only be repeating what they've already done. "
    I'd like to know which character is featured in each game though and be able to click their links etc. Can you do that on GiantBomb? I love that the movies section has lists of each character that is featured in it. "
    Yes..they have that on GiantBomb.
    #61 Edited by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
    @Vance Astro said:

" If we can't already do this...We should be able to attach blog posts to specific threads without the mods moving them there.They shouldn't have to do that. "

Under the main body of the blog is a box that will connect your blog to the 'News & Blogs' page of whichever character, team, location, creator, etc... 

Look for the light grey text that says: 

Type pages on the site (ex: superman, street fighter) you feel this post is relevant to... 

Click near the start of the long empty box to the left of that.  Type the name of the character you want & you'll quickly see that it acts like the main Search Box.  Click on the character you want.   

Step 1:  Add Your Blog To A Character's 'News & Blog' Section

When you hit the big green 'Post Blog' button Comic Vine does 2 things; it creates the blog & then scrolls to the top of the page above your blog.  There, it offers you a chance to add your blog to the Forum of your choice.   

There'll be the usual drop down box starting with Off-Topic (where most people choose Gen Discussion & it drives me nuts).  However, because you added your character's name in the long 'type pages of the site' box (it needs a catchier name) then Comic Vine offers you a chance to connect it to that character's Forum as well.  Just hit the corresponding radio button & hit the big green 'Attach My Blog Post To The Forums' button... et voila! :) 

Step 2:  Add To A Forum
    Remember, you can add your Blog to as many character/team/creator/etc pages as you like.  However, you can only add it to one forum.   

This is a really handy feature that helped me my blogs for the Little Big Planet Marvel costume designs.  I could add the blog to all the characters' pages, and attach it as a thread to the marvel Forum too.
    #62 Edited by Vance Astro (91114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xerox..thank you.Is there a way we can make our old blogs..blog posts? Because I have blogs that I made before the blog post options existed.

#63 Edited by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
    @Vance Astro: You do realise, this was the only reason I made that Blog about Copycat ;) 

To be honest, I'm not sure.  All old blogs have an Edit.  However, I'm not sure if it'll let you connect them to a character's page after the first time you hit 'Post Blog'.  Give it a try though :)
    #64 Posted by Vance Astro (91114 posts) - - Show Bio
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @Vance Astro: You do realise, this was the only reason I made that Blog about Copycat ;) 

To be honest, I'm not sure.  All old blogs have an Edit.  However, I'm not sure if it'll let you connect them to a character's page after the first time you hit 'Post Blog'.  Give it a try though :) "
    Ok :)
    #65 Posted by Mediant (329 posts) - - Show Bio
    @Rheged said:
    " @Mediant said:
    • Appearances
      • Allow for sorting by release date (latest appearance).
      • Allow for sorting by character's significance in issue.
      There are sorting tabs on the Appearance page, and one is for sorting by release date.  It has a + and - you can click on to sort by earliest and latest.  It appears to be a little wonky, as it doesn't seem to sort by months also, but it sorts by years, at least.  Of course, if folks haven't put in the release date ...  Sorting by signifcance would mean that info would have to be put in when the character was added, right? "
      When you sort by release date, the date that is used to determine order is the start date of the volume and not the character's latest appearance in that volume. So for instance, when sorting by release date,  Spiderman's mains series (The Amazing Spider-Man) shows up way back in 1963. The latest issue of that series will be out in October of this year however. So the system is great for finding first appearances in and of series, but I'd like a functionality that allows you find the latest appearance of a character in a volume when you sort.
      #66 Edited by pikahyper (11487 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I've just been informed that the "released on" date is not meant to be used to input the actual release date in stores but is instead meant for the month/year marked on the cover/inside bits. So first a couple of questions why have the day field (MM/DD/YYYY) since the day part is never included on the cover or inside bits? and why have the cover date as part of the wiki? Do people really care about that date? The only date I have ever cared about in over two decades of collecting and almost two decades working in comic shops is the actual release date. So on to the idea for improvement: Why not include two date fields, one for cover date and one for actual release date? Any thoughts from anyone on this?

#67 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
      @pikahyper said:
      " Ok I've just been informed that the "released on" date is not meant to be used to input the actual release date in stores but is instead meant for the month/year marked on the cover/inside bits. So first a couple of questions why have the day field (MM/DD/YYYY) since the day part is never included on the cover or inside bits? and why have the cover date as part of the wiki? Do people really care about that date? The only date I have ever cared about in over two decades of collecting and almost two decades working in comic shops is the actual release date. So on to the idea for improvement: Why not include two date fields, one for cover date and one for actual release date? Any thoughts from anyone on this? "
      first of all, ever heard of a weekly comic? they have the day in their release...and secondly, the cover date is far more relevant and there's thousands of comics out there that no one knows the ACTUAL release date (comics have been around for quite a bit more then records have been kept on these things) so what use is it? it's not hard to know the month a comic was released if you know the cover/indicia date...plus new comics are attached to the week they came out so in that case you can know when they came out
      #68 Edited by pikahyper (11487 posts) - - Show Bio
      @aztek the lost said:

"first of all, ever heard of a weekly comic? they have the day in their release...and secondly, the cover date is far more relevant and there's thousands of comics out there that no one knows the ACTUAL release date (comics have been around for quite a bit more then records have been kept on these things) so what use is it? it's not hard to know the month a comic was released if you know the cover/indicia date...plus new comics are attached to the week they came out so in that case you can know when they came out "

Ok understandable that weekly books do have a day attached to them. I still don't get how the cover date is more relevant when it is two months in the future of when the book was actually released, are you assuming that everyone knows that a book is released two months earlier then the cover date/indicia states?

I'm not fighting your argument but that is why I suggested having both dates on the wiki. I have the release dates of every comic released in the United States for the past decade via invoices for my store and my own personal database and I'm sure I'm not the only one that is a pack rat here :P Personally I just think the actual release date is more important, mainly because I read things as they are released chronologically and then alphabetically. If no one likes my suggestion I just won't add any more dates to the wiki, no biggie.
      #69 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio
      @pikahyper: The MM/DD/YY can also be used for trades and mangas. 

I also agree that a release date should be an option. Most of the past 4 years already have been spotlighted on the site, why not share the information?
      #70 Posted by pikahyper (11487 posts) - - Show Bio
      @jloneblackheart said:
      " @pikahyper: The MM/DD/YY can also be used for trades and mangas.  I also agree that a release date should be an option. Most of the past 4 years already have been spotlighted on the site, why not share the information? "
      Ah yes good point for trades and mangas. By info you mean all the release dates? and who would I share the info with exactly? how would it be used if there isn't a field for it?
      #71 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio
      @pikahyper: All the issues mod and staff have spotlighted each week. That data could be shared. All the new releases since the site started are cataloged on the new comics page. 
      #72 Posted by pikahyper (11487 posts) - - Show Bio
      @jloneblackheart said:
      " @pikahyper: All the issues mod and staff have spotlighted each week. That data could be shared. All the new releases since the site started are cataloged on the new comics page.  "
      oh I see I thought you meant for me to gather up my decades worth of release dates and then pass it on to mod's to do something with lol.
      #73 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
      @jloneblackheart said:
      " @pikahyper: All the issues mod and staff have spotlighted each week. That data could be shared. All the new releases since the site started are cataloged on the new comics page.  "
      well that I agree with, I think everything that's spotlighted should have a little note on the page that said something like, "to see other comics that came out this week click here" type deal but going too far back just seems a waste...I mean mycomicshop goes back to 1961...but what about everything before that?
      #74 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

A way to improve Comic Vine?... Fix the problem that prevents you from typing in text boxes from an iPhone :)

#75 Edited by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio
      Staff
      #76 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio
      @Danial79 said:
      " A way to improve Comic Vine?... Fix the problem that prevents you from typing in text boxes from an iPhone :) "
      ^This.
      #77 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see fields in the General Information sections of creator's pages for their Twitter account.

#78 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Be nice if under an object all the wielders were listed. That way when I check out the Nega-Bands page, I can know just what characters have used it. It's also be nice to have what objects a character has used on their own page, but I can see that getting messy really fast so I would expect it as an add on.

#79 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
      @xerox-kitty said:

"We're missing my favourite recommendations:   

• ALIAS search functions available for Creators, Locations, Objects, Teams, etc. 

• Appearance definition drop down boxes that let you know whether a character's appearance is just a crappy silent background cameo.
      "

I strongly recomend these things. 

In fact, I'd love to see a change in naming policy that allowed us to change pages from Hal Jordan to Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) and Johnny Blaze to Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze).  When you've got characters who have gone through multiple names and all of them have alias pages, tagging gets confusing.  I'd also like the ability to tag an issue of Young Justice with the character Impulse (Bart Allen) and an issue of Teen Titans with Kid Flash (Bart Allen) and have both tags link to the same Bart Allen page.  I don't like tagging Young Justice issues with Kid Flash cause Kid Flash isn't in those books and I don't like tagging them as "Bart Allen" because the very casual comic reader doesn't know "Bart Allen" is Impulse.

The appearance definition thing is huge though because everyone up to moderaters and staff have expressed conflicting defintions of what they think is an "appearance."  Just added a second area in each issue under characters called "cameos" would fix the whole thing.
      #80 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Here are a few things I suggest 

Note: I haven't read the previous pages of this topic, so if it is repetitive, I'm sorry. 

1. Mantle Pages 
      In my honest opinion, they shouldn't be there. They are just free points for anyone to grab. The bio for each person's time as say Robin, Batman, Phantom Rider, etc. Should be in the individual's page, not a collected page. A lot of the time, it leads to duplicate information and just obvious point spamming that keeps the user safe from a wiki ban.  This also leads confusion to giving a character credit in a comic. Do we give the individual character credit, the mantle page credit, or both? This, in my honest opinion, is just a major headache that could be prevented if they were just deleted. 

2.  Image Gallaries 
      The amount of pointless images in some of the galleries here are ridiculous. The quality of said images are bad and they have little to no importance to the character the majority of the time. In my opinion, the only time a picture should be added if it is either of good quality or important to the character's history. I know this would take a lot of work to change, but I think a sensible solution would be to get a crew of reliable and veteran wiki users to do a "crusade" to delete the problem. Wiki points could be added like a task to each person for doing this, but not a large amount. From there the mods could try to keep it under control, as well as some help from our veteran wiki users. 

This is liable to be added on too.

#81 Posted by Aceofcard (69 posts) - - Show Bio

free give way steam games
      #82 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio
      @aztek the lost said:
      " I wish I was a better mod XD "
      I wish you were, too. :P
      #83 Edited by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a good addition would be the distinction between a "volume" and a "collection". An example: If you type "World War Hulk" into the search box, you get a "2007 Marvel volume" as well as a "2008 Marvel volume". In this case, you can can tell that the latter one will be the collection, but there have been times where I've been looking for something and have had to click both links to find which is which. Something as simple as changing the description to "2008 Marvel collection" would suffice. 

Also, it has been mentioned before (though I can't see it in this thread), but the ability to search for two characters' appearances would be very very useful. There have been many times I've found myself wondering something like, "Has Doctor Strange ever met Daredevil?", and besides going through both's appearances and manually checking matches, I don't know of any way to do this. I'm sure it would be as simple as an AND parameter in the search command.

#84 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to have a differentiation between ongoing series and collected trade paperbacks.

#85 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio
      @The Dark Huntress: I agree.
      #86 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio
      @Strafe Prower: Yayz!
      #87 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio
      @The Dark Huntress said:
      " I would love to have a differentiation between ongoing series and collected trade paperbacks. "
      Isn't that what I said? :)
      #88 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio
      @Danial79 said:
      " @The Dark Huntress said:
      " I would love to have a differentiation between ongoing series and collected trade paperbacks. "
      Isn't that what I said? :) "
      <_< I didn't even see that. :P
      #89 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio
      @The Dark Huntress: I understand. I don't usually read all the previous posts on threads over 2 pages either. I just found it funny that your's came directly after mine :)
      #90 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio
      @Danial79: Yours was much more eloquent and articulate than mine. 
      #91 Posted by realsilverjunk (334 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys need to put the common "mark all forums read" button here. I can't tell what was recent, and what was, and you can actually go back this far, two years ago! It's just a bit messy. I want to come back and see current, freshly discussed topics, not something that has become stalemate. 

#92 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio
      @Vance Astro said:
      " @agent9149 said:

" a like or dislike button "

Like an ignore list? Like you can click a button so you don't have to read certain users posts...at all? I'm all for that. "
      I think he means more like a Thank you button to show those viners who are really helpful and appreciated. I think it's a good idea.  

Honestly, I think they need a sci-fi vine for all things sci-fi. 
      #93 Posted by Wildish (99 posts) - - Show Bio

proberbly not a good idea but why not have CBUB merged into this site, thus improving that site, also whynot have a link or a connection to Deviant Art??? 

#94 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

free ice cream delivered to Catmans door of course

#95 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

An instant messaging program similar to the one they have on face book

#96 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

i also wouldn't mind (and i know i'm not alone, right people?)
      if some sort of " Scratch And Sniff " technology were added to site,
      as one of my strongest desires in life..no! my number one most
      desire in life is to finally find out what comicvine actually smells 
      like.

#97 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if the problem is specific to my PC's color settings or if it's a problem with the website. If it is my PC can someone tell me.  

You see where the comicviners' name is supposed to be. Well some viners have black backgrounds and the font where there name is written is black so as a result their name isn't visible unless you highlight it. The previous poster CATMANEXE is a perfect example of this. In his post, where his name is written, (which is above mine) I can't read his name because of the background. For another example, look at the background behind my name (i.e. Xybernauts) which is blue. It's clearly visible because  the font color the name  is written in and the color in the background behind the font contrast well. They either need to change the color of the font behind the black backgrounds or they need to remove the black backgrounds altogether.    

#98 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34405 posts) - - Show Bio
      @xybernauts: If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, the red/blue/black user bars are supposed to represent alignments (blue = good, black/gray = neutral, red = evil), but I agree that it wouldn't hurt to lighten the font color somewhat.
      #99 Posted by realsilverjunk (334 posts) - - Show Bio

We can't post gifs? Whaaaat? But they make a point!

#100 Posted by Richard S! Preston (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps a radio button so that certain aspects of an issue wiki i.e. Story Arc, Concept could be hidden outside of Edit mode