Use of images on ComicVine

Avatar image for deactivated-6259dfae2e448
deactivated-6259dfae2e448

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi, I was hoping someone could tell me if images (panel scans, promo stills, etc.) posted on Comic Vine are legal.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

Your question is a bit vague. Is it possible you could clarify a bit? In general yes, such images are allowed and legal on Comic Vine. However that shouldn't mean that a poster is allowed to post an entire copy of Superior Spider-man #2 or the Mighty Thor #3 in its entirety in threads or forums. From what I can remember, most big name credible comic websites have general rules that advise against posting more than five pages of any singular comic that is sold/sellable.

As far as wiki pages and galleries go, no full page scans/images should be uploaded the exception being pages that are full panels. Parts are allowed, but people should not be attempting to load every panel or picture of a character into their database. Its unnecessary and is hard to navigate. Now I just talked about what rules websites have and enforce but the legal side is tricker for me to explain and maybe someone else can chip in. In this sense how and what images are posted and used and whether they are legal or not kind of depends on who owns the image and its distribution and whether they take issue with how that image is being used as well as how the image is being used. If Marvel saw that a website has posters posting full pages of entire comics they could/would probably take issue with that. They potentially could take issue with less than that but general common sense would indicate no reason for them to take issue with a few fans posting a few scenes/moments. The last time I checked the official Marvel.com site use to draw the line at as I said around five full pages of anyone comic, as far as forum use.

Hope that helps, but feel free to add more context or ask further questions if it didn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi, your answer to my question was helpful. Thank you for replying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And also, are users allowed to save images on their computers for their own use?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz

@kalel32688 said:

And also, are users allowed to save images on their computers for their own use?

Yes