Posted by madmartin760 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Get this, I tried to add the US as a location, but it was rejected. They said since most places took place there it would become a topic for spamming. There are SO many comics not based in the US: Excalibur, Alpha Fight, Sgt. Frog, Star Wars, Conan, and so on. Does anybody else agree all countries should be equal in comics, or I am thinking way to much about this?

#1 Posted by MatKrenz (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Your thinking way to much about this. I mean how many comic books take place in America ? So it's pointless to have USA as a location.

#2 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it should, but to avoid point spamming we've made pages for every state instead plus most major cities. Think that should cover it.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27259 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Britain isn't a location ether

#4 Posted by Zaleos (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah but the US isn't really a country in the technical sense, it's a loose alignment of states that all see themselves as independent from one another. It'd be like making a page for South America (which apparently there is one?). Okay, fine, the point is, everything in the U.S. takes place in a specific state. Nothing is ever just in the "United States". It's a big country so it naturally gets divided into things being set in a specific portion because it varies so much and different portions aren't even similar. The only three countries bigger are just understood as stereotypes to comic writers so if something is in Canada there's just snow everywhere and if it's in Russia there's snow everywhere and a communist symbol in frame and if it's in China, there's lots of people but it doesn't have to be set in a specific province, territory, federal subject or what have you. Really, these countries probably shouldn't have pages either but it's because comic writers and readers are not from those countries they get location pages.

#5 Posted by Icarusflies (12246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zaleos said:

Yeah but the US isn't really a country in the technical sense, it's a loose alignment of states that all see themselves as independent from one another. It'd be like making a page for South America (which apparently there is one?). Okay, fine, the point is, everything in the U.S. takes place in a specific state. Nothing is ever just in the "United States". It's a big country so it naturally gets divided into things being set in a specific portion because it varies so much and different portions aren't even similar. The only three countries bigger are just understood as stereotypes to comic writers so if something is in Canada there's just snow everywhere and if it's in Russia there's snow everywhere and a communist symbol in frame and if it's in China, there's lots of people but it doesn't have to be set in a specific province, territory, federal subject or what have you. Really, these countries probably shouldn't have pages either but it's because comic writers and readers are not from those countries they get location pages.

Hehehe....yes, this is an accurate description.

#6 Posted by madmartin760 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zaleos: Dude, where are you from? Just because a country is large does not mean it is not united. People from Canada consider themselves Canadian, not just Albertan or Ontarian. Also they have planets, including Earth, as locations.

#7 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3313 posts) - - Show Bio
@madmartin760 said:

Get this, I tried to add the US as a location, but it was rejected. They said since most places took place there it would become a topic for spamming. There are SO many comics not based in the US: Excalibur, Alpha Fight, Sgt. Frog, Star Wars, Conan, and so on. Does anybody else agree all countries should be equal in comics, or I am thinking way to much about this?

Obviously it's a team. The winning team. You just tried to put it in the wrong category.
#8 Posted by Zaleos (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@madmartin760 said:

@Zaleos: Dude, where are you from? Just because a country is large does not mean it is not united. People from Canada consider themselves Canadian, not just Albertan or Ontarian. Also they have planets, including Earth, as locations.

That's actually the first point I made anyways, as you said, people from Canada are Canadian...people from the US identify themselves by what state they are from.

#9 Posted by madmartin760 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Did you try adding it? I don't think United Kingdom is a location either. Guess you have to use the locations' names.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27259 posts) - - Show Bio

@madmartin760 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Did you try adding it? I don't think United Kingdom is a location either. Guess you have to use the locations' names.

Naw I'm not really that bothered tbh

#11 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

While I can understand the desire to tag everything, I equally don't understand when it would be really applicable.  Generally speaking what we try to do with the wiki is to be specific as possible.  The wiki mods at the moment are trying to pin this down exactly, but generally speaking you should not pin for instance both New York City and New York State unless they appear distinctly in the same issue (like the characters are in NYC and then go to Upstate New York some place.)  I have run across cases where only the USA appeared in comics, but it is so rare that it isn't really worth mentioning.  

#12 Posted by madmartin760 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Ok, I get you. I would like to see it on here, but I understand it would be seldom used correctly.

#13 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio
@madmartin760: We generally give benefit of the doubt on such things, but we decided pre-emptively that this would not work