Upcoming DC 8 page previews and the wiki

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fhiz

So, starting in May, DC is going to be running 8 page previews for all their June books in the back of each convergence title. Specific Convergence books will get specific previews, and my question is how should this be handled in the wiki?

My gut reaction is that the characters/creators involved in the short stories shouldn't be added to the Convergence issues for two reasons, the first being that there's no relation to what book a preview shows up in and the preview itself, crediting X writer on Convergence title Y isn't exactly truthful, as they just wrote a story that, by luck of the draw, was put in that particular issue. The second reason is that DC will be releasing these previews for free outside of the Convergence issues, via digital means like Comixology, which would count as its own volume, no? I think crediting the exact same content from the same publisher twice on the same day would be a bit wasteful.

Those are my thoughts, just looking for some guidance before that first Wednesday in May.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@fhiz: and how do you know the previews will be released separately?

the characters and creators need to be credited as their work is in the issue so the best thing to do would be to add all the associations from the preview and just use notes just like cover only appearances or a table, maybe something like:

Convergence Preview Backup h3

Story Title h4

• Name (Writer), Name (Artist), Name, (Letterer), Name (Editor)
  • List, of, character, appearances

and then the creators and other associations are added like normal.

I normally loathe redundant data but it is probably the best way to make sure everything is credited properly with a minimum of confusion for non-editors.

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Fhiz

@pikahyper: It was part of initial announcement (link, sixth paragraph), but I'm reading a liveblog of the C2E2 panel where they brought it up just now and the wording said "after they see print." But it's someone feverishly typing down info they're hearing and these things have been wrong before, so it could be day and date or it could be a week later, we'll see.

One of the things that sort of concerns me is if say a new character is introduced in one of these, and the wiki would most likely list the first appearance as Convergence: Whatever #2 when a more accurate representation would be something like Midnighter Special Preview #1 or whatever they'd be called.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#4 pikahyper  Moderator

@fhiz: releasing them later makes the most sense to maximize profit but you are right could be anything.

I would say that that is a minor concern, accuracy is important and if there are any first appearances in those previews then those are true first appearances in which case notes can be used or I'm sure someone who doesn't like it will add the true first appearances in the Creation section of the character pages as has been done in the past. I'm sure it will all work out.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

interesting