#51 Posted by xxxddd (3428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Can solicits exist on old comicbook issues?

#52 Posted by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

Yes, they usually are in the back of an issue.
BB

#53 Posted by xxxddd (3428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Thanks for the help.

#54 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@xxxddd said:

Yes, they usually are in the back of an issue.
BB

in the back? when does that happen? in older comics the info blurb is usually on the first page of the story.

#55 Posted by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd:

Remember to add them in italics though.

@pikahyper:

Aren't they usually in the back with the fan letters? <o<
BB

#56 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: not that I've ever seen

#57 Posted by xxxddd (3428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: So if the plot summary isn't in italics, it has to be in my own words?

#58 Posted by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

@Billy Batson: So if the plot summary isn't in italics, it has to be in my own words?

The italics are suppose to show that it's a solicit, though some have added them in regular writing in the past, but that's the past :p
BB

#59 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd: Plot summaries have to be in your own words
#60 Posted by Renchamp (2043 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

Is there a way for me to add a first appearance to someone's enemies page without deleting all the text that is already there for the other enemies? At least it looks like when I hit the edit button all the text disappears, I haven't tried to see if it actually does for fear that it will.

If the text disappears when you go to edit then that simply means no one has actually filled in the relationship. The default is to use the intro statement for each character. If you want more points, fill in those empty spaces. That's the stuff that won't disappear. Example:

This is what Axel's friends page looks like before I hit the edit button. The text for Dexter is taken from his own page because no one has filled in the relationship on this page. Patricia has been filled in. After hitting the edit button it should look like this:

Patricia's is still there while Dexter's awaits being filled in. If his doesn't get filled in then it reverts back to the default. Filling it in will get you between six and 13 points, I think.

#61 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@Renchamp:

Thank you, very much. :]

#62 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

What are the rules/guidelines regarding two characters with the same name having the same page? I haven't done this but is it only when they both have the same secret identity?

#63 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: I am not sure that I understand the question exactly, but are you talking about the name of the page itself? If not character's can have the same other names

#64 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@Xanni15: I am not sure that I understand the question exactly, but are you talking about the name of the page itself? If not character's can have the same other names

The content in the page, should it be split up into two or more pages (the amount of people) or should it just be so and so #1 and #2 as sub headings?

#65 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: sounds like he is talking about a mantle

#66 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: It really comes down to a judgment call, on some pages on the site a separate character is not really justified, on other it is. Inherently on any page if the character meets to pretty broad requirements for inclusion then they can get a separate page. If you are talking about separating a pre-existing page that becomes trickier as we usually get someone that knows the characters pretty well and can differentiate between their various appearances. Did you have a specific character in mind?

#67 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio
#68 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: it depends, first of all that page is pretty weak and could use some attention if you are interested. More specifically though it really depends. The way to do it would be to create a page for the main character that has appeared and list the other character(s) under Other Versions. Alternately split the pages if you think you know the character well enough.

#69 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Thank you, that makes sense. From what I see there isn't much information on the first character on that page so it might be best to list it as another version. :]

#70 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: OK sure sounds good, have fun!

#71 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

If the current events of a character are unknown do I put that or would it be wasted space?

#72 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: Leave it blank, Current Events should have whatever is going on presently with the characters. The rest goes under Story Arcs

#73 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't sure where to put this, I hope here is okay.

Someone keeps changing the main picture for Ultron to an older picture of him with a female form. This was from The Mighty Avengers back in 2007 and we have had Ultron back to normal since then in 2011 which is the picture I've been changing it to. He is going to come back later in that form still. Is it possible to keep the picture as that and stop it from being changed?

#74 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

Someone keeps changing the main picture for Ultron to an older picture of him with a female form. This was from The Mighty Avengers back in 2007 and we have had Ultron back to normal since then in 2011 which is the picture I've been changing it to. He is going to come back later in that form still. Is it possible to keep the picture as that and stop it from being changed?

This is a problem we have with a lot of characters as people doesn't seem to know the rules. There's currently no way for us to know who changes the pics, so unfortunately there's not much to do about it except being persistent and change it back.

#75 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak said:

@guttridgeb said:

This is a problem we have with a lot of characters as people doesn't seem to know the rules. There's currently no way for us to know who changes the pics, so unfortunately there's not much to do about it except being persistent and change it back.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep changing it then :)

#76 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak: @guttridgeb: there is actually one way that works sometimes, basically you delete the image they keep replacing it with but keep the image on your hard drive so you can re-add it then watch the characters galleries and the user may mess up and re-add the image and then they are caught, if they don't re-upload the image and are sneaky and re-add it another way so be it but at least you tried. And if they leave it gone after a week or so re-upload the image to the gallery, maybe they'll have learned not to use that picture.

#77 Posted by takashichea (144 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll bookmark this and keep this as a reference. This is an awesome guide.

#78 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Sounds good, I'll do that if they persist.

#79 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats the policy on clones? Is it similar to alternate universe versions of characters where they only get their own page under some circumstance?

#80 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb: It depends on how they are used. if they become very much another character (for instance Voodoo clone) they can get their own page, if not it can be kept on one page.

#81 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Are you familiar with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed? It is the main character of that whom I am wondering whether I should make a new page for his clone...

#82 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

@RazzaTazz: Are you familiar with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed? It is the main character of that whom I am wondering whether I should make a new page for his clone...

We have plenty of pages for clones, especially Spider-Man clones, so go ahead if you think he should have a page.

#83 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak: Okay. thanks :)

#84 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

Regarding the pages of public domain characters, is it possible that they can appear in Marvel or DC comics? Wouldn't those characters have a page dedicated to the Marvel or DC version of the character? If not, on their pages do you list both Marvel and DC story arcs under the Major Story Arcs heading?

#85 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: I'm pretty sure this is ok, only time it should be different is if the Marvel/DC version of the character is drastically different enough to warrant its own character page otherwise it just gets rolled into the original public domain one, for major story arcs they would be separated into Public Domain and then publisher based sub-headings. I just woke up and I'm not 100% sure though so wait for another mod to chime in before making the changes just to be safe.

#86 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: pika pretty much got it, the way it should go is that the Major Story Arcs whould have the stuff from wherever they come from (presumably they are a literary or a historical character) then under Other Version you can plug in different version. It depends on what you want to do and where the character belongs to - check out the following page for reference Marilyn Monroe, Cleopatra, Snow White.

#87 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: @pikahyper: Thank you both! :]

#88 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: If a comic character appears in a book/novel you just post the picture of the book, ISBN, release date, etc., you don't summarize it, right?

#89 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: Books are added to the Other Media section under the Novels sub-header, generally the solicit/official description or back blurb are used instead of a summary though, check Batman for an example.

#90 Posted by JayJayCAW (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling I'm going to be coming back to this topic quite often lol

#91 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

If a comic has both a single issue as well as a graphic novel do I need to create two pages?

#92 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: Yes.

#93 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

If a comic has both a single issue as well as a graphic novel do I need to create two pages?

two volume pages, not two issue pages in one volume.

#94 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Can teams not be added as friends or enemies. If not, do I list a team in the teams association even if they are an enemy of the character?

#95 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: Does it not only give the option of characters? And no to your second question

#96 Posted by pikahyper (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: only the same type of page can be added as friends/enemies so character to character or team to team, it is an annoying limitation at times. It is better to include such info in the content of the page.

#97 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Yes. :\

@pikahyper: Thank you. :]

Can I list members of the team as enemies separately?

#98 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: Yes for prominent examples

#99 Posted by Xanni15 (6737 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Thank you, again. :]

#100 Posted by RazzaTazz (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: Sure the enemies section is meant to list prominent enemies so just keep that is mind. If Superman faces Giganta in the Injustice League she should not really be there, but maybe the Joker or the Cheetah could for how many times they have fought him. They better fit on the other team pages though for their main heroes with which they are associated.