#1 Edited by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been messing with the Transformers comics and characters lately. The problem is they have gone by multiple publisher creating multiple timeline and alternate universes. GI Joe and TMNT have done similar. The question is what would be the best way to setup the character pages. I'm using Transformers as my example but of course GIJoe and others would be similar.

The First is how "Some" if not most of the pages currently look with each Publisher being listed as it's own Major Story Arc.

Origin

Major Story Arcs

Marvel Comics

Generation 1 Continuity

Marvel UK

Generation 2 Continuity

Devils Due Continuity

GI Joe vs. Transformers

Dreamwave Productions

Dreamwave Continuity

Armada/Energon Continuity

3H Publications

Universe Continuity

Beast Wars

Fun Publications

Shattered Edge Continuity

IDW Publishing

Beast Wars

IDW Continuity

Generation 1 Continuity

Powers and Abilities

Characteristics

  • Height:
  • Weight:
  • Alt-Modes: Tank
  • Color Scheme:

Other Media

Television

Film

IDW Film Continuity

Titan Magazine Film Continuity

Video Games

The Second would be breaking them into 2 Story Arcs, Generation 1 Continuity (Marvel, UK, IDW) and the IDW Reboot Continuity with other (Dreamwave, Fun, Beast Wars etc) listed as Alternate Versions (similar to the reboot kings on the DC Comics pages).

Origin

Major Story Arcs

Generation 1

Marvel Comics

Marvel UK

IDW Publishing

IDW Publishing

Devestation

All Hail Megatron

The Transformers

More Than Meets They Eye

Robots in Disguise

Powers and Abilities

Characteristics

  • Height:
  • Weight:
  • Alt-Modes: Tank
  • Color Scheme:

Alternate Versions

Devils Due Continuity

Dreamwave Productions

Dreamwave Continuity

Armada/Energon Continuity

3H Publications

Universe Continuity

Fun Publications

Shattered Edge Continuity

Other Media

Television

Film

IDW Film Continuity

Titan Magazine Film Continuity

Video Games

The Third would be more in line with other characters, having the "Main G1" continuity, and all others listed as Alternate Versions with small summaries (similar to how Marvel Ultimates are handled). The only issue with this is what is really considered main now the original G1, or the new IDW ongoing.

Origin

Major Story Arcs

Marvel Comics

Generation 1

Marvel UK

IDW Publishing

Regeneration One

Alternate Versions

Devils Due Continuity

Dreamwave Productions

Dreamwave Continuity

Armada/Energon Continuity

3H Publications

Universe Continuity

Fun Publications

Shattered Edge Continuity

Titan Magazine

IDW Film Continuity

IDW Publishing

Robots in Disguise

More Than Meets the Eye

IDW Film Continuity

Powers and Abilities

Characteristics

  • Height:
  • Weight:
  • Alt-Modes: Tank
  • Color Scheme:

Other Media

Television

Film

Video Games

In addition to the Alternate versions they also have a tendency to re-use character names in other Universes that may or may not be related to the original G1 character. Therefore should these character pages have some distinguishing title ie; "Characters Name" (BW) - Beast Wars, (A) - Armada. Currently they don't and would need to be changed one at a time (although I did find one with Armada that another user added). Or since these characters normally only appear in one Publishers books by assigning them to that Publisher would help with confusion. The only issue would then arise if they then appear in an IDW comic in the future as that character (example IDW gets the Armada/Energon rights).

#2 Posted by pikahyper (11472 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: Your example with the Ultimate versions would be most appropriate. As for the alternate versions that just reuse names and have nothing in common with the originals those should have their own pages and make sure you use a clear image of them, using just their standard name is fine cause users should be able to distinguish between the two based on the characters default image

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by danhimself (22268 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: I like the first example the best...especially with Transformers...G1 isn't really considered the "main" continuity...it's just one of many...Hasbro considers the Prime Universe to be the main continuity now but I think I feel the same as many fans out there when I say that Transformers doesn't really have a "main" continuity

#4 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Ok thats what I understood for the characters. what Publisher should be used? Since IDW owns the rights but hasnt published them? I would assume Dreamwave, 3H, or Fun.

@danhimself: Thats how a lot of them are currently, it gets harder with IDW run because its not the original G1, and more like DC with a reboot. probably would have been OK to do it like DC if they hadnt continued the G1 comic now creating 3 different Universes ( G1, Prime, & IDW Reboot) on top of The Collectors club releases by Hasbro and Fun.

#5 Posted by pikahyper (11472 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: the publisher would be whoever last used the character, technically since IDW owns them I guess they should all be IDW but since they aren't actually using them its best to just leave it at whoever last used the character and I don't think 3H or Fun should ever be used as the publisher unless they created the characters and continued to be the only publisher using them.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Gotcha, I do know they created a few original characters, but not many. BTW can you take care of renaming the character I posted in my example and remove whoever added (Armada) to it.

#7 Posted by pikahyper (11472 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: done

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: There is not need to make this overly complicated anything which was ever in continuity for the characters goes under Major Story Arcs, even if it is retconned by other publishers (no different than being retconned by the same publisher.) Then just use H3 tags and from there break down the story arcs appropriately. Same process for Other Versions.

Or if you like you can write it all together under Major Story Arcs. If the sequence of the stories is unbroken then this might be a better choice. For instance, the Danger Girl team has changed hands three times (I think) but all of their stories are considered canonical so you can still write them sequentially. Though I think with G.I. Joe the Devil's Due stuff is no longer canon, nor does the present series have any links to the Marvel series.

Moderator
#9 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Correct, that is similar to my DC Example (example 2). Where it is separated into 2 categories, one for the Marvel/IDW Generation 1 ongoing and the other for the IDW Generation 1 "Reboot" Ongoing. And then putting all other Devils Due, Dreamwave, Fun, 3H, etc as Alternate Versions.

After thinking about it this seems like the best method considering both continuities will continue for the foreseeable future, and if they were setup similar to Marvel's Ultimate you would have huge paragraphs under the Alternate Version (example 3).

The problem with example 1 is each companies didn't necessarily retcon anything they just rebooted the entire universe. IDW did the same reboot with their ongoing (GIJoe & TF), but has also started the original Marvel Generation 1 stories over (in both GIJoe and TF). So now you have 2 concurrent Universes.

#10 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii said:

@pikahyper: Ok thats what I understood for the characters. what Publisher should be used? Since IDW owns the rights but hasnt published them? I would assume Dreamwave, 3H, or Fun.

@danhimself: Thats how a lot of them are currently, it gets harder with IDW run because its not the original G1, and more like DC with a reboot. probably would have been OK to do it like DC if they hadnt continued the G1 comic now creating 3 different Universes ( G1, Prime, & IDW Reboot) on top of The Collectors club releases by Hasbro and Fun.

When there is multiple publishers like in this case we usually list them with the company who own the characters. Disney for example has multiple publishers in many countries so we just list all their characters under Disney.

And IDW? I thought Hasbro owns the rights to Transformers, in which case they should be used.

Moderator
#11 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak said:

When there is multiple publishers like in this case we usually list them with the company who own the characters. Disney for example has multiple publishers in many countries so we just list all their characters under Disney.

And IDW? I thought Hasbro owns the rights to Transformers, in which case they should be used.

Currently they are all set to the current Publisher IDW, not the licensee Hasbro. This was something probably done on the back-end, I doubt anyone changed them one at a time.

#12 Posted by danhimself (22268 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak said:

@wmwadeii said:

@pikahyper: Ok thats what I understood for the characters. what Publisher should be used? Since IDW owns the rights but hasnt published them? I would assume Dreamwave, 3H, or Fun.

@danhimself: Thats how a lot of them are currently, it gets harder with IDW run because its not the original G1, and more like DC with a reboot. probably would have been OK to do it like DC if they hadnt continued the G1 comic now creating 3 different Universes ( G1, Prime, & IDW Reboot) on top of The Collectors club releases by Hasbro and Fun.

When there is multiple publishers like in this case we usually list them with the company who own the characters. Disney for example has multiple publishers in many countries so we just list all their characters under Disney.

And IDW? I thought Hasbro owns the rights to Transformers, in which case they should be used.

hasbro does own the rights but IDW currently has the comic book publishing license..they have 3 current comic books....2 set in their universe and 1 continuing the old Marvel line

#13 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

hasbro does own the rights but IDW currently has the comic book publishing license..they have 3 current comic books....2 set in their universe and 1 continuing the old Marvel line

Actually they have 2 in the IDW Reboot, 1 continuing Marvel's Gen1, and 2-3 for Hasbro's new Prime Universe (includes the Prime show, Cybertron games, & Prime/Cybertron Comics).

#14 Posted by danhimself (22268 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii said:

@danhimself said:

hasbro does own the rights but IDW currently has the comic book publishing license..they have 3 current comic books....2 set in their universe and 1 continuing the old Marvel line

Actually they have 2 in the IDW Reboot, 1 continuing Marvel's Gen1, and 2-3 for Hasbro's new Prime Universe (includes the Prime show, Cybertron games, & Prime/Cybertron Comics).

the Prime books are all mini's though and haven't had an ongoing yet

#15 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Correct just pointing out the fun of doing the pages, lol

#16 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio
@wmwadeii: A reboot is effectively the same as a retcon.  It is really to your discretion though.  Take Dejah Thoris for instance, she is public domain so open to anyone and therefore can be used by anyone.  Last year there was one ongoing series with her and another miniseries from a separate company.  There is really no defined format in cases like this, because for these weird cases, ever case is unique.  I would recommend just doing what you can and trying to order if logically, and then when done run it through the feedback thread to see how others think it reads.  
Moderator
#17 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I feel ya. I just have a case of OCD I think at the moment and would like the pages to look similar. Was going to update the existing and also any blank character put the formatting on the page so other users can update and keep the same look. No biggie, once I get one done I'll post two versions on the forum you mentioned and see what floats.

#18 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: Sure sounds good.

Moderator
#19 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: @danhimself: @RazzaTazz: Since you guys responded to the thread, I thought I'd let you know I submitted my first attempt to the create a common style among the characters to the Submission Feedback thread.