gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
When it comes to superheroes, most people know the basics. We're all familiar with the origins and what inspired them to dress up and fight evil. What some people might not know is the stories behind all the enemies. Why does Doc Ock hate Spider-Man so much? Why is Gentleman Ghost so un-gentleman-like with Batman? Why is the Shaper of Worlds considered one of Rogue's enemies? 

If you know the answers to these relationships or know about other villains, check out the tasks set up in the Comic Vine Task Queue. This is your chance to show off what you know about these heroes and villains.  

Not only would you be helping make this place full of even more information, you'll also earn points along with the bounty points set up for each task. Check them out today and see how you can help out. 

[Note from Red L.A.M.P.] 
Please help us remove enemies who are not significant enemies.  This list should be more informative than definitive.  Also we don't have the ability to sort the list.  For example, you can't put Lex Luthor at the top of the enemies list for Superman.  If we add tons of minor characters Lex may end up on page 2 or 3 of the list.  That wouldn't be cool.  So keep the lists of enemies down to significant characters when possible. 

[UPDATE] 
A good rule of thumb is to always use BOTH the character's names in the description.  So use Batman and Joker, when you are describing why Batman and Joker are enemies. 

[UPDATE] 
DONT close a task if it's not done.  
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Billy Batson

Where is the Enemy page?

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By Comiclove5

I'll do it (Most of it)

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By Comiclove5
@Billy Batson said:
" Where is the Enemy page? "
I can't find it either
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Billy Batson
@Comiclove5 said:
" @Billy Batson said:
" Where is the Enemy page? "
I can't find it either "
Did you find it now?
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Billy Batson: Its in the side bar on a characters main page? Left hand side. Full bar, has forum, overview, key arcs, creators, friends etc etc
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_

My issue with this is that anybody that a character has had a slight tussle with is listed as an enemy. There are literally hundreds for some of them. I think it would be good to include a bit about taking out unnecessary enemies and people that aren't actually definitive enemies or rogues of a character. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

Man, man, man, there are a lot of characters in enemies for characters where their interaction is loose at best. I mean, one hero in a team, gets a villain page for a character on the opposing team? Some are even for characters that appeared in just the same book as the hero... I feel really guilty about removing names from lists though...  

i can add tons of info for characters that actually have unique rivalries though... 

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Billy Batson
@SC: oh that. Cotcha.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress said:
" My issue with this is that anybody that a character has had a slight tussle with is listed as an enemy. There are literally hundreds for some of them. I think it would be good to include a bit about taking out unnecessary enemies and people that aren't actually definitive enemies or rogues of a character.  "

Is there a way to reorder the list? Like push prominent enemies to the top? Sabretooth would be at the top of Wolverines page, a one shot villain he had near the bottom (if applicable at all) 

@Billy Batson:

You probably found it, but should look like this.  

http://www.comicvine.com/x-23/29-3560/enemies/
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercy_
@SC Possibly? I'm on the mobile site right now so I'm not sure.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Billy Batson
@SC: I found it. -_-
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Billy Batson said:
" @SC: I found it. -_- "

*Thumbs up* Alriiight!  

*thumbs fall off*  

Argh, WTF. How will I play PS3?!?! 

*picks up thumbs with mouth, runs to hospital*  

0_o
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By craigbo180

Wow gentleman ghost, never heard of him before... COMIC BOOKS!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Billy Batson
@SC: ?
Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yumulu
@The Dark Huntress said:
" My issue with this is that anybody that a character has had a slight tussle with is listed as an enemy. There are literally hundreds for some of them. I think it would be good to include a bit about taking out unnecessary enemies and people that aren't actually definitive enemies or rogues of a character.  "
Well that the point of the task queue isn't? writting about why they are enemies (actual first fight would be pretty awesome too) so if they just trade one punch in a lone elseword issue it would be mentioned there.
RobertG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By RobertG
@The Dark Huntress: 

I agree with The Dark Huntress.  Enemies should be their arch-nemesis (if a villian) or rogue gallery (if a hero).  I don't think Lex Luthor should have Batman listed as an enemy just because they crossed paths a few times, he is clearly an enemy of Superman. 

Another issue I have is you can't choose a team for an enemy for a character, or visa versa.  An example like Despero, you can't put Justice League of America as his ememy nor can you put Despero as an ememy of the Justice League.  You should be able to choose both "characters" and "teams" for enemies. 

I think the powers that be at Comicvine should fix the character/team editing issue and make it a rule that enimies should only be rogue gallary/arch-nemisis and make it a challange to the users to clean this up.

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By likalaruku

The Joker's enemies, huh? That's pretty much everyone. Anyone here an expert on Lex Luthor? He needs to be on that list.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mercy_
@Yumulu said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
Well that the point of the task queue isn't? writting about why they are enemies (actual first fight would be pretty awesome too) so if they just trade one punch in a lone elseword issue it would be mentioned there. "
I don't think there are very many people who are going to go through in some cases literally hundreds of characters and write up a description for each and every one of them. Especially when most of them should be removed in the first place.   

It's like with attaching concepts to issues. Secondary Mutation for example. It's only attached to issues where secondary mutations are first exhibited. Like when Emma first shows her diamond form, or when Beast mutates into the cat form. It's not attached to every issue where he appears catlike or she uses diamond form.  

I think that friends and enemies should be treated in a somewhat similar fashion. Not every person that they've ever encountered should be in there. It should be characters who have helped define them, or whose actions have helped define them. 
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator

It would be cool if there could be some sort of discretionary sliding scale. A character with 10 appearances might be okay with having a one issue feud documenting another character as their enemy. Characters like Thor and Superman though, who have been around for so long and punched or taken a punch from just about everyone, used with the same application of consistency would have enemy pages past 8 (pages) 

Would seem strange for Birdman to be there (Thor's villain page for example) by way of being in Hoods gang who were present at Siege? Then again Blockbuster might be a nice limit, since I think they only met once, but Thor killed him in that encounter. So its of note and was during a significant event. 2 cents and all.  

@Billy Batson said:

" @SC: ? "
That was me apologizing if I came across too patronizing. I didn't see the post where you said you got it until after I posted. ^_^ I was trying to figure out if there was a way to reorder Villain entries. 
methias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By methias

People not bothering to do that was always something of a pet-peeve of mine. I'll put some time into them as my first project now that I'm back.

jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jrh7925

The inherent problem is that the Enemies linking is a two-way street. For instance, Aztek fought the Joker multiple times between his solo book and his time in the JLA. In fact, Aztek has fought the Joker in 25% of his appearances. So, I would say that the Joker is an enemy of Aztek. However, as soon as you add Joker to Aztek, you add Aztek to Joker. Where Aztek has faced the Joker in 25% of his appearances, Joker has faced Aztek in 1% of his. Aztek is not even a bump in the road. That is why the more popular characters have a lot more enemies. The only way to solve the problem of overpopulation of enemies is to decouple that feature.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Rheged

I'll come back to read about the tasks of the week after I've recovered from seeing that picture!  OMG!  ROFL!

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By sladewilson30

i can't find it either
deepest_pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deepest_pool

Will try to work on a bounty. For the heck of it.

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

...do i have answer that question?
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Haha, you guys who cannot find the enemies page but edit the wiki all the time, you know who you are, make me smile.  Just saying.  It's pretty funny you don't know the page exists.  

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Yumulu said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
Well that the point of the task queue isn't? writting about why they are enemies (actual first fight would be pretty awesome too) so if they just trade one punch in a lone elseword issue it would be mentioned there. "
I don't think there are very many people who are going to go through in some cases literally hundreds of characters and write up a description for each and every one of them. Especially when most of them should be removed in the first place.    It's like with attaching concepts to issues. Secondary Mutation for example. It's only attached to issues where secondary mutations are first exhibited. Like when Emma first shows her diamond form, or when Beast mutates into the cat form. It's not attached to every issue where he appears catlike or she uses diamond form.   I think that friends and enemies should be treated in a somewhat similar fashion. Not every person that they've ever encountered should be in there. It should be characters who have helped define them, or whose actions have helped define them.  "
Feel free to remove characters who are not enemies.  We should only list significant enemies.  If we had the option to order the enemy list -- which we never made possible -- then we could add 100s of enemies with no problem.   But since the list is randomly displayed  -- you can't specify to show Lex Luthor as the first enemy of Superman, for example -- these enemy lists should be edited down to significant foes.   

If you can't write a significant paragraph explaining why they are enemies, then perhaps they should be removed.
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@jrh7925 said:
" The inherent problem is that the Enemies linking is a two-way street. For instance, Aztek fought the Joker multiple times between his solo book and his time in the JLA. In fact, Aztek has fought the Joker in 25% of his appearances. So, I would say that the Joker is an enemy of Aztek. However, as soon as you add Joker to Aztek, you add Aztek to Joker. Where Aztek has faced the Joker in 25% of his appearances, Joker has faced Aztek in 1% of his. Aztek is not even a bump in the road. That is why the more popular characters have a lot more enemies. The only way to solve the problem of overpopulation of enemies is to decouple that feature. "
I know what you mean, and yes that is a problem.  Minor characters need to have their enemies listed on their own enemy page.  But that causes that minor enemy to be added to the popular characters enemy page too, which clutters up the popular character's enemy page.  We have no solution for this at the moment.   

But in general, writing out a nice 2-3 sentence description of their relationship will help the page.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#31  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Kinda sad people can't find the enemies page, it is pretty obvious o.o

Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

#32  Edited By Blurred View

The minor character/popular character thing probably won't be so bad once all these blank entries start getting filled in. Yeah, popular characters' enemy lists will still get cluttered, but at least there would be explanations to justify them being there. It's really the blank, seemingly random ones that are annoying. If it's worth noting that Joker was actually a major enemy to Aztek, then it seems cool to me that Aztek would show up on Joker's list. Even one-sided enemy relationships seem worth noting as long as the entry isn't left blank and explained.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@Blurred View said:
" Even one-sided enemy relationships seem worth noting as long as the entry isn't left blank and explained. "
I am fine with this.  I'm not worried about being too strict as long as there is a well written explanation of the relationship.
TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By TheMess1428

Yeah the enemies are in alphabetical order.

MrFantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By MrFantastic

Question for the Red Lamp:

So we really want to limit the enemies to a deeper conflict, not the enemy by association.  As an example, many of the X-men have legitimate beefs with Magneto (such as Xavier, Cyclops, Jean Grey  and Wolverine), but Jubilee who has fought Magneto, but really only as a part of a team.  There is not a real conflict between the two other than the fact Magneto has attacked her friends?