Should a main pic be added to the Prophet Muhammad's character

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By kuonphobos

Please look at the Muhammad page amd give me your thoughts. I have found a really good pic, not offensive in any way (IMO) but based on my desire to not offend anyone I wanted a consensus before I acted.

Also, if not an image is there ANY type of pic that go occupy the main pic spot? Like maybe a crescent over a green field or somesuch?

Thanks.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@kuonphobos: Unless the picture you found is DIRECTLY from a comic book, I'd say DO NOT add it. As it is, it's a bit of a touchy matter.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kuonphobos

@Icarusflies: Well it was going to be a retouched cover of The Crusaders issue 17 "The Prophet". The only problem with that is that the source is a Chick publication which is severely anti-Islam (pretty much anti-everything)

Give me a few minutes and I will post the modified image.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kuonphobos

Ok this is what I was thinking....

No Caption Provided
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz
@kuonphobos: It would be nice if we could lock certain pages like this in order to avoid offending anyone.  As it is ... I am not sure.  The picture looks fine, maybe don't associate it with that Chick and it should be ok.  As long as it is historical enough and not offensive.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Honestly the only way you won't offend anyone is to have a picture of him drawn for religious art and in those his face is never shown there is a veil over his visage always.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By Teerack

This is the funniest thread on comicvine right now.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@Crom-Cruach said:

Honestly the only way you won't offend anyone is to have a picture of him drawn for religious art and in those his face is never shown there is a veil over his visage always.

I would actually recommend using one of these if you feel you must use an image...

Especially since using retouched images isn't really permitted for character galleries.

@kuonphobos:

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kuonphobos

No problem. I will just leave it empty. I just like to add pics where there are none and where I am able. I guess it one of my many flaws.

@RazzaTazz: If you think that the image I posted above might offend someone please lock this thread and/or tell me how I might delete it.

Thanks for the imput ALL.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

BB

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skunkstein

@Teerack said:

This is the funniest thread on comicvine right now.

Hah! Religion, lol!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
@kuonphobos: The one which you identified would be fine, except that it comes from Chick.  I would say that you can use it though.  
colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colonyofcells

Chick Publications is a fundamentalist protestant group that uses comics to convert people. From what I know of the group, this fundamentalist group does not believe people of other religions like Catholicism, Buddhism, Islam, etc. can be saved. So I would assume that all the comics from Chick Publications can easily offend believers from other religions such as Catholicism, Buddhism, Islam, etc. As for images of the Prophet of Islam, better to avoid any pictures of the Prophet to be safe.

tea8765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By tea8765

@RazzaTazz said:

@kuonphobos: It would be nice if we could lock certain pages like this in order to avoid offending anyone. As it is ... I am not sure. The picture looks fine, maybe don't associate it with that Chick and it should be ok. As long as it is historical enough and not offensive.

Not offensive? has anyone seen the Jesus gallery? no fear of outraging people there.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazzaTazz
@tea8765 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@kuonphobos: It would be nice if we could lock certain pages like this in order to avoid offending anyone. As it is ... I am not sure. The picture looks fine, maybe don't associate it with that Chick and it should be ok. As long as it is historical enough and not offensive.

Not offensive? has anyone seen the Jesus gallery? no fear of outraging people there.

Someone should clean up that gallery then.  
fesak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fesak2

If it's an image that's appeared in a comic book it should be allowed.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@kuonphobos said:

Ok this is what I was thinking....

No Caption Provided

I think this page is perfectly acceptable since it is an image of Muhammed that appeared in a comic book and the Comicvine Muhammed page is supposed to detail the comic book version of him.

@RazzaTazz said:

@tea8765 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Someone should clean up that gallery then.

We can't start to censor what images are allowed or not because religious people takes offense by everything. For example I can see how Christians might take offense by the interpretation of Jesus in Battle Pope where he is portrayed as a hobo, but we should still have this version detailed on the page and have the images in the gallery. Same goes for the version of God who is a pervert (don't remember where it's from).

Our job is to describe the comic book versions of these characters, and we can't start to exclude certain comics because someone might find them offensive.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Billy Batson
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@Billy Batson said:

@fesak said:

Same goes for the version of God who is a pervert (don't remember where it's from).

Chronicles of Wormwood.
BB

Yeah, that's right. That was a good series :)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Billy Batson

@fesak said:

@Billy Batson said:

@fesak said:

Same goes for the version of God who is a pervert (don't remember where it's from).

Chronicles of Wormwood.
BB

Yeah, that's right. That was a good series :)

Thought about reading it...guess that means I should :p
BB

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RazzaTazz

@fesak: Agreed but there are quite a few images in the Jesus gallery which are not from comics.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@RazzaTazz said:

@fesak: Agreed but there are quite a few images in the Jesus gallery which are not from comics.

Those are mostly icons/classic images, which even religious people would be fine with, right?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@fesak said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Those are mostly icons/classic images, which even religious people would be fine with, right?

And what the hell..? Someone removed all the comic related text and inserted the bible stuff..?

We should set some wiki tasks on pages like this to get comic info on there.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RazzaTazz

@fesak: I guess so, in terms of what we need as a comic site, we could have one or two iconic images and get rid of the rest. I don't think people come to CV to see religious art associated with Jesus.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@RazzaTazz said:

@fesak: I guess so, in terms of what we need as a comic site, we could have one or two iconic images and get rid of the rest. I don't think people come to CV to see religious art associated with Jesus.

Sure, a little hard to tell in a few cases though. This and this looks like they might be covers for something, and the image set as main is from a comic, don't remember what though. I have to start entering descriptions when i upload images.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kuonphobos

@fesak said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Sure, a little hard to tell in a few cases though. This and this looks like they might be covers for something, and the image set as main is from a comic, don't remember what though. I have to start entering descriptions when i upload images.

The main looks like it came from Simon Bisley's work Illustrations From the Bible

No Caption Provided
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Yes, that was probably it.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points