Serious wiki vandalism

Jetshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jetshade

STAFF ARE DEALING WITH THE PROBLEM, PLEASE JUST BE PATIENT AND DON'T EDIT THE DAMAGED PAGES*

Some pathetic lowlife thought it was funny to obliterate all of the work that was done on the pages of many of DC's most prominent characters: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Zatanna, Poison Ivy, Starfire, Donna Troy (those are just the ones I've seen) and replace it with "Beware the Doctor." Isn't there a RESET button that the mods can use in cases like this? I refuse to believe it is that easy for one moron with a thousand points to erase years of work that many CV contributors have done and there is no way to bring it back. And has the perp been found and banned? Certainly it can't be that hard to find out who did those particular edits?

*Thread Hi-Jacking by Mod Authority**

**I use the asterisk thing as a footnote to explain the situation so that people don't get confused, wouldn't want people freaking out that no post is safe, now would we***

***No Post is Safe

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

It's been reported and unfortunately there's nothing the mods can do about it. It's up to staff.

Jetshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jetshade
@The Dark Huntress:  
Thanks Huntress. Yes I've seen the mods offering 100 point bounties to fix the pages and if that is all they can do, it makes me even more depressed. It's inconceivable to think that years of work by numerous editors will have to be rewritten from scratch because of one vandal. Staff has to be able to intervene and reset those pages.  
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Holy...
Who could have done that without approval? Banning isn't going to stop somebody like that.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CATPANEXE

Like I said before, I would do this but my connection is too slow: If someone has older copies just copy them onto the pages, or....

@Jetshade said:

Isn't there a RESET button that the mods can use in cases like this?

Google caches it's pages, and the cached version can be accessed in the side preview plane. I just checked our number one most visited page= Batman, and the Google cached version is still complete and untainted. I suggest someone copy them over before the cache dates move fore ward.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CATPANEXE
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

ect.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

Wait, did they do it a second time or is this the third thread to talk about the first time it happened. If it's the second time then it's not funny anymore even though I lold the first time. If it's the first its kind of old news and someone should be working on fixing on it by now. If they aren't working on fixing it then, ummm they should and stuff.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kal'smahboi
I went ahead and fixed Supes' page from the cached version.
Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Raiiyn

I did starfire

Spacey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Spacey

The thing that sucks is that they don't appear to have cached any recent pages, which means that the work that was done to fix up the previously vandalized pages has been pretty much destroyed. If someone can think of a way to save the more recent ones? I really don't want to have to rewrite the whole page for The Doctor, it took hours last time. 

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Spacey: Theres search engines with wayback machines and what not. That might help in finding more recent editions. Still, this is better than the alternative and having our pages visitied and seeing whats there now, and gets much of the job finished.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Raiiyn

I did Flash, Zatanna & Wonderwoman too..

This is really ridiculous. I can't believe that someone would do something like this. And there's probably more that haven't been found yet.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_

I got Wonder Woman O_o

But it gave me way too much credit... I deleted info so in reality, it should have only given me one point, right? I wouldn't have done it if I thought that I was going to get as much as I did.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kal'smahboi
@Raiiyn: Exactly. And even worse, what's stopping whoever it is from doing it again?
@The Dark Huntress said:

I got Wonder Woman O_o

But it gave me way too much credit... I deleted info so in reality, it should have only given me one point, right? I wouldn't have done it if I thought that I was going to get as much as I did.

Must've given you the bounty for fixing the problem, regardless of the regular rules.
Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Raiiyn

@Kal'smahboi:

There really do need to be better safeguards in place.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Kal'smahboi said:

@Raiiyn: Exactly. And even worse, what's stopping whoever it is from doing it again?

Someone could save the fixed pages to their hard drive? If no one else, once everything's done put up a list and I'll put them in my edits directory on my hard drive. I have webspace I can upload them to later. Better than nothing. Really, the new edits your doing now will be counted in Google as page updates and go towards it's next cache preview anyways though. That means they can be fixed-broken-fixed-broken-fixed-... in a loop as a result.

*edit: Just checked Starfires page cache. It's been replaced by the one you people just made. So yeah, should work for any future problems.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_

@Kal'smahboi: There wasn't a bounty set on it, though. And bounties don't get rewarded until a mod closes them. I just sent a PM to Aztek just to let him know what happened. I had no intention of getting points for that, just wanted the page for DC's premiere female character fixed ASAP

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By KainScion

damn. when i first read the title of the thread i though u meant the marvel comics wiki. this sh!t has got to stop.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By Pokeysteve

I saw one of these a couple days ago on a minor characters page but can't remember who. Some one I looked up for a battle.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Raiiyn

@CATPANEXE: The problem with that is they could just attack other pages that haven't been hit before. No, this problem is something that needs to get fixed at the top. They need to have better safeguards in place or restrict changes more. Maybe everything needs to go through mod approval. I mean if this keeps happening as it, we're just going to keep fixing it. Just like the endless loop you mentioned.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#21  Edited By Trodorne

@Raiiyn said:

@CATPANEXE: The problem with that is they could just attack other pages that haven't been hit before. No, this problem is something that needs to get fixed at the top. They need to have better safeguards in place or restrict changes more. Maybe everything needs to go through mod approval. I mean if this keeps happening as it, we're just going to keep fixing it. Just like the endless loop you mentioned.

While that maybe true. frankly i would much rather get the name of the user, as well as his contact information from the mods and put a stop to them.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

I put in a submission to fix up the Donna Troy page. I'll have plenty of free time tonight and this week in case anybody wants me to do the same for another character's page that got hacked..

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#23  Edited By Trodorne

Thank god the vandals did not touch my Dick....Grayson...

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Raiiyn: It's only a quick fix I thought of. Sorry, I'm not responsible nor in charge of how the site is managed. Tried my best.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Raiiyn

@Trodorne: I like how you think.

The Catwoman Cache is ruined. Its from today. So Catwoman is going to have to redone from scratch =( ugghh this really grinds my gears >.<

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Raiiyn

@CATPANEXE: Its a great fix though for the pages that have been destroyed! Seriously, great idea to use the cache. We just need preventative measures as well. The staff really need to do something about this.

Jetshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jetshade

There MUST be a way for the mods (or certainly CV Staff) to check a record of all the page edits and by which user. Once identified, they should ban the vandal permanently and block any further attempts to create a new ID from that IP address. I can't believe that the staff of this website would not have the means to do this -- at the very least, they should be able to identify the vandal and nullify his account. 

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Raiiyn

@Jetshade said:

There MUST be a way for the mods (or certainly CV Staff) to check a record of all the page edits and by which user. Once identified, they should ban the vandal permanently and block any further attempts to create a new ID from that IP address. I can't believe that the staff of this website would not have the means to do this -- at the very least, they should be able to identify the vandal and nullify his account.

Absolutely true.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mercy_

@Jetshade said:

There MUST be a way for the mods (or certainly CV Staff) to check a record of all the page edits and by which user.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that there is no submission history for pages. This is something that LAMP said he'd be rolling out this year, but we haven't heard anything about it in months.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Just did Zatanna and Poison Ivy.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Dammit. I can't find a cache that Doctor has not touched for Hal Jordan. Looks like that page will have to be rebuilt from scratch as well.

Jetshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jetshade
@The Dark Huntress said:

@Jetshade said:

There MUST be a way for the mods (or certainly CV Staff) to check a record of all the page edits and by which user.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that there is no submission history for pages. This is something that LAMP said he'd be rolling out this year, but we haven't heard anything about it in months.

So this worthless amoeba can just keep going on his merry way and there's no way to identify him? That's just great.  
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mercy_

@Jetshade said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Jetshade said:

So this worthless amoeba can just keep going on his merry way and there's no way to identify him? That's just great.

He was identified by a fellow wiki editor who checked the submission feed and managed to figure it out. His points have been zeroed, which means that he now would need to go through the submission process again. I don't know if his account has been banned or not (I assume that wiki vandalism of this magnitude would warrant a ban), but you'd have to check with a mod for sure.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Raiiyn said:

@Trodorne: I like how you think.

The Catwoman Cache is ruined. Its from today. So Catwoman is going to have to redone from scratch =( ugghh this really grinds my gears >.<

Like I said Google is one method. There's several others, and I would pitch in if it weren't for the ineffective dial-up I'm on right now. Here's somewhat of an easy list of tools to use, may come with variable results and different cache dates. Best of luck.

http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/others/archive.shtml

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Enosisik

Wow what an idiot

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Raiiyn

They hit Supergirl =( There are more pages then just the ones on the wikitasks. Looks like this is going to take quite a while to find and fix =(

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Jetshade said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Jetshade said:

I don't think we should be worrying about him/her right now. The pages that have been irreparably damaged should be the primary focus of the staff members and community.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminatus said:

@Jetshade said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Jetshade said:

I don't think we should be worrying about him/her right now. The pages that have been irreparably damaged should be the primary focus of the staff members and community.

I just checked the wiki subs of the vandal. Everything has either been fixed, or there's a task set up on the page (most of which are pending approval) to be fixed. Only characters that are really hurting at this point are TOAA and Doctor Hurt, which should be able to fix up, considering he's the top contributor for the page.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Raiiyn: I was able to save Supergirl's cache and paste it. So, we're good there. 

@The Dark Huntress: Okay. Good.
Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Enosisik

They all look the same to me... ? Are you talking about Wiki .. Wiki or the profiles here?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Illuminatus said:
I put in a submission to fix up the Donna Troy page. I'll have plenty of free time tonight and this week in case anybody wants me to do the same for another character's page that got hacked..

I have that character's page in its entirety on my email so let me know if you want it?  It already has pending approval on it so I am not sure if that is someone who is starting or isn't on live edits yet.  
Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Raiiyn

@Illuminatus: LOL I had submitted the cache when I found it as well. Too funny.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@SC said:
@Illuminatus said:
  I have that character's page in its entirety on my email so let me know if you want it?  It already has pending approval on it so I am not sure if that is someone who is starting or isn't on live edits yet.  
I was able to get to the cache in time, although keeping it on hand wouldn't be a bad idea, just in case he/she strikes again.
Dr_Cassidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dr_Cassidy

Lex Luthor has been hit too.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Illuminatus:  Ah cool! Cheers.  

So uhm, does anyone more informed than me want to give me some direction - I still see some pages that aren't fixed but I have saved on email - I have some cached some pages too - I feel bad taking points so easy - should I send them to a moderator or? I sort of think the (preexisting) highest contributors on each page should get some wiki bonus points too all things considered. Grrr stupid troll. 
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Dr_Cassidy: Fixed it. The cache was still there.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Dr_Cassidy said:

Lex Luthor has been hit too.

Ah cool cheers, I have it safe in cache - email now.  
Jetshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jetshade
@Illuminatus said: 
I agree that the pages are the priority now, but it was important to find out if the vandal is still able to edit or not. Otherwise s/he could continue to vandalize pages faster than we can fix them. 
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CATPANEXE

CV owes you all a thanks for your dedication BTW, consider mine given here.

It's a pretty shallow effort what that person did. If anything thank them for the free wiki points?

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

The staff/mods should cross-reference all the banned accounts IP addresses with the one who is hacking into the site.