Referencing/Crediting Other Sites...?

Tuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Tuta

all -- I love the site and its implementation, but a lot of what the obvious goals of this site are have been done elsewhere... just not as slick as here.

(wikipedia/marvel wiki/Grand Comics Database/etc.)

What is the "party line" if a user wants to re-use some other site and give credit/reference?

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

We dont want to see an plagarism here. You can do small quotes and then reference with a link back to the source.

Writing in your own words is the way to go.

tyger_raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tyger_raven

What about using Wikipedia to get information, like what books a creator has worked on, but because I've used my own words to write the bio, does that still sound shady? Would it be a good idea if I put, "Parts of this information can be found on Wikipedia" or some such?

Tuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tuta

tyger -- sounds like a fair plan to me -- especially as we don't want to irritate the same people that we want to also contribute to THIS project...

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

tyger_raven says:

"What about using Wikipedia to get information, like what books a creator has worked on, but because I've used my own words to write the bio, does that still sound shady? Would it be a good idea if I put, "Parts of this information can be found on Wikipedia" or some such?"

It's best to shy away from other encyclopedic sources. I'd rather see us all bust out our collections and just do the work ourselves. Images and credits are fair use among sites, but not writing.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Captain Cascader

I've actively started rejecting content taken from Wikipedia. It's pretty easy to spot. Remember all I have to do is paste a couple sentences into google to see if it's stolen.

tyger_raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tyger_raven

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"tyger_raven says:
"What about using Wikipedia to get information, like what books a creator has worked on, but because I've used my own words to write the bio, does that still sound shady? Would it be a good idea if I put, "Parts of this information can be found on Wikipedia" or some such?"
It's best to shy away from other encyclopedic sources. I'd rather see us all bust out our collections and just do the work ourselves. Images and credits are fair use among sites, but not writing. "

I agree with what you're saying, and I don't use wikipedia at all when coming up with bios for characters or issue summaries. However, when coming up with creator bios, I don't want to do a half-aed job, you know? Is it wrong that I look up like at DC or Marvel's websites to see what they say about their creators? I'm all for looking up info myself, but I can't remember everything about a creator's work. Like I said, I'm just trying to come up with a more complete picture.

I guess the one way to get around it is to not add info about creators that I don't know much about, huh?

Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Captain Cascader

It's perfectly fine to check other resources to compose your own original writing. We're just saying no blatent copy and pasting.

Believe me, we go to wikipedia all the time when we write stuff up ourselves, if for no other reason then to referesh our memory.

As to being half assed, I think the main thing at this point is to just get something in there for most peeps. We'll be able to add more detail later.

Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Captain Cascader

tyger_raven says:

Just to be clear on this one, posting Factual info is fine. Things like credits of course. Just make sure you write up stuff in your own words. And yes, this mostly falls in the category of bios. No ones going to yell at you for going to wikipedia to look up team members.

tyger_raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tyger_raven

Thanks for the responses. I feel better now. :)

scoobydiesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By scoobydiesel

All the stuff you type is the same no matter what really, its all about something(a character) witch in the end will still ahve to be the same info, but when you have time(like im going to have to find) sit down and put your own kick into it, I was doin the wikipost's but when i have time I'll ad something diffrent or try.

Plus this keybord sucks....random

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck

I've found Wikipedia mainly useful for team affiliations. Same with marvel.com. Funny thing is I've noticed some exact duplicates within those two sites. Guess we can try to be different.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Decided to bump the oldest thread because why not

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

Avatar image for deactivated-5c07a0327fd39
deactivated-5c07a0327fd39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did it and it was approved

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@renchamp: renny,you know damn well i didnt do it for my post count, i've been in 4000's for the past 4/5 months or so. And i didnt spam. My reason was as simple as to just bump the oldest available thread.